Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well since the strike hasn’t been settled yet isn’t the role of AI still up in the air?  Can’t they just generate AI versions of the actors and let the AI do the marketing?

either that are just start selling pre release tickets contingent on reaching a certain level.  I bet they will find that this movies won’t need marketing.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

13 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well since the strike hasn’t been settled yet isn’t the role of AI still up in the air?  Can’t they just generate AI versions of the actors and let the AI do the marketing?

either that are just start selling pre release tickets contingent on reaching a certain level.  I bet they will find that this movies won’t need marketing.

You know you can't legally do that without the actor's consent right

You know you can't legally do that without the actor's consent right

Who knows what the studio lawyers could get away with. “It’s not the actor, it’s actually Paul Atreides doing the PR.”

And I agree this movie is going to kill it even without any live PR.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:50 PM, Storm the Field said:

Part 2 delayed until March 15 now b/c of the strike. God damnit.

I suspect any film with young stars and fall release is going to get pushed. Dune Part II would make money regardless, but they couldn’t resist the Gen Z cash from youths showing up to see Austin Butler, Tim C, and Zendaya. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naija said:

I wonder how far into the canon, Denis wants  to take this.

I don't ever see them getting to the Tyrant.  I have read the first 8 books and stopped there because his son is such a shitty writer, but things get so weird after Paul that I'm not sure they can make the transition without losing most of the audience.  I think through the end of Children of Dune is about as far as they can go.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Went down a YouTube rabbit hole this morning. I had no idea how expansive and well thought out the Dune universe is.  Seems like there's a ton of potential for movies and prestige TV if they want to go that route.

Quinn's Ideas is probably one of the best sci-fi book channels on YouTube, and yeah, covers all of this.

There is supposedly a Dune prequel, Dune: The Sisterhood,  being produced for HBOMaxDiscoveryShitAss, that will be released after Dune Part 2:

HBO's Description:

"Set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides, the hero of the 1965 novel Dune, the series will follow two Harkonnen sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit."

Collider's Info:

The story of Dune: The Sisterhood takes place about 10,000 years before the events of Duneand the birth of the prophesied Kwisatz Haderach - Paul Atreides. The show will take inspiration from the book 'Sisterhood of Dune' written by Herbert's son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, which takes place in the wake of the Butlerian Jihad, which destroys all forms of computers and intelligent technology. The book follows the oldest children of the Harkonnen family, Griffin, and Valya, who will also be the inspiration for the leads in the series, as they seek to rebuild their family fortune and name and eventually help in the rise of the Sisterhood, known as the Bene Gesserit in the known universe.

Cast:

• Known for Chernobyl and Punch-Drunk Love, Emily Watson will play Valya Harkonnen, a fierce woman gaining power within the SIsterhood. 
  • Game of Thrones and Obi-Wan Kenobi actress, Indira Varma, will play the role of Empress Natalya, who unites thousands of worlds through her marriage to the Emperor. 
  • Mark Strong (Shazam!, Sherlock Holmes) will star as Emperor Javicco Corrino, a man from the lineage of great European leaders who are called upon to govern the Imperium during the unrest.
  • Vikings' Travis Fimmel has also joined the cast and will play a charismatic warrior who looks to earn the trust of the Emperor at the expense of the Sisterhood.

There were some changes earlier this year:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/dune-the-sisterhood-director-star-leave-johan-renck-shirley-henderson-hbo-max-1235539211/

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don't ever see them getting to the Tyrant.  I have read the first 8 books and stopped there because his son is such a shitty writer, but things get so weird after Paul that I'm not sure they can make the transition without losing most of the audience.  I think through the end of Children of Dune is about as far as they can go.

will be a hard enough time getting folks to realize that Paul Atreides isn't a your classic hero

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Quinn's Ideas is probably one of the best sci-fi book channels on YouTube, and yeah, covers all of this.

There is supposedly a Dune prequel, Dune: The Sisterhood,  being produced for HBOMaxDiscoveryShitAss, that will be released after Dune Part 2:

HBO's Description:

Collider's Info:

Cast:

• Known for Chernobyl and Punch-Drunk Love, Emily Watson will play Valya Harkonnen, a fierce woman gaining power within the SIsterhood. 
  • Game of Thrones and Obi-Wan Kenobi actress, Indira Varma, will play the role of Empress Natalya, who unites thousands of worlds through her marriage to the Emperor. 
  • Mark Strong (Shazam!, Sherlock Holmes) will star as Emperor Javicco Corrino, a man from the lineage of great European leaders who are called upon to govern the Imperium during the unrest.
  • Vikings' Travis Fimmel has also joined the cast and will play a charismatic warrior who looks to earn the trust of the Emperor at the expense of the Sisterhood.

There were some changes earlier this year:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/dune-the-sisterhood-director-star-leave-johan-renck-shirley-henderson-hbo-max-1235539211/

I thought the HBO show was going to have Rebecca Ferguson in it? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Talk of future movies. Spoilers for the next one

Spoiler

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/dune-part-3

Dune: Part Two Is a Cliffhanger—But It May Be Years Before Part Three Arrives

The end, it turns out, is not near. Without revealing any details from the finale of Dune: Part Two, fans of Denis Villeneuve’s ethereal space epic should enter it braced for something of a cliff-hanger rather than a full-on resolution to the saga of Timothée Chalamet’s futuristic warrior prince.

When Villeneuve set out to adapt Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, about warring factions on a valuable but desolate sand world, he cleaved the narrative neatly into two parts. Since then, he has openly speculated about also adapting Herbert’s 1969 sequel, Dune: Messiah, to transform the two-parter into a trilogy. In Dune: Part Two, which opens on March 1, Villeneuve creates a path to that next installment, but notes that this isn’t his own invention. It remains faithful to Herbert’s climax in the original novel.

That’s how the book ends,” Villeneuve tells Vanity Fair. “The Dune book ends with the beginning of something that is out of control, and I thought this was a very powerful ending. I feel that both movies complete the adaptation of the book, and I feel very good about that. When people ask me, is there a world where I could do Messiah? Yes…”

The Messiah novel takes place 12 years after the conclusion of the first book, so Chalamet’s Paul Atreides may be hanging from that cliff for a while before the audience revisits his situation. “I will respect again Frank Herbert’s idea to jump in time. That’s what I would love to do,” Villeneuve says.

On 1/26/2024 at 4:45 PM, speed817 said:

New popcorn buckets for Dune 2. Needless to say, I will be going alone.

421561306_785970733353367_4044374722469084067_n.jpg.1bbc9247e20f2b5c5a48690576d6d9e3.jpg421541306_785970723353368_7208602321156174470_n.jpg.529026853f9385b2f37772e8859ca9c2.jpg

On 1/26/2024 at 4:54 PM, Viper said:

big-lebowski-maude-lebowskis-art-being-s

On 1/27/2024 at 12:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Apparently their marketing team has never seen a fleshlight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Or, they have, knew this would go viral and went in head first. The SNL skit on it last week was fantastic and there are tons of kudos being thrown around LinkedIn between advertising folks I follow.

Your goal is to reach the zeitgeist and they have achieved. Can’t wait to get one to troll colleagues…
  • Hook 'Em 2