Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I listened to both soundtrack albums now and the Dune Sketchbook is the superior listen. The same sounds, vocal samples, instruments, and musical elements are in each one, but the sketchbook has them arranged in long compositions going up to 16 minutes in length. There are some sounds that come from the story like the Ornithopters or thumpers and other stuff. There is a ton of vocals samples and the tracks rely heavily on manipulating the vocals and choruses. A couple tracks have bagpipes in them for some reason.

Hans Zimmer is the omnipresent soundtrack artist, and he basically has teams of musicians and vocalists and writers and arrangers working for him, with a budget that is almost unlimited for making music. He has a little more resources than a bedroom producer who makes "soundscapes". So he had a giant budget and his teams of musicians and an extra year to make music for Dune.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

Okay, I listened to both soundtrack albums now and the Dune Sketchbook is the superior listen. The same sounds, vocal samples, instruments, and musical elements are in each one, but the sketchbook has them arranged in long compositions going up to 16 minutes in length. There are some sounds that come from the story like the Ornithopters or thumpers and other stuff. There is a ton of vocals samples and the tracks rely heavily on manipulating the vocals and choruses. A couple tracks have bagpipes in them for some reason.

Hans Zimmer is the omnipresent soundtrack artist, and he basically has teams of musicians and vocalists and writers and arrangers working for him, with a budget that is almost unlimited for making music. He has a little more resources than a bedroom producer who makes "soundscapes". So he had a giant budget and his teams of musicians and an extra year to make music for Dune.

9046A9BB-7EF2-4540-BA9C-B5FD133F9F5F.gif

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, XYZ said:

The book is a hot mess. The only way for this movie to be successful is with a significant rewrite. Focus on the visuals and the mood and greatly simplify the plot.

That is a bad take and you should be ashamed.  I'm sorry you failed high school reading comprehension.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Haha 2

I only recently read the book.  I didn't love it.  I thought the pacing was terrible.  It felt like a bunch of important shit was skipped for no reason, almost like someone edited a draft that was missing the middle third into a novel.  That said, when you realize this was written 55+ years ago, it is a commendable stab at future study and technology.

5 hours ago, Hozz said:

That said, when you realize this was written 55+ years ago, it is a commendable stab at future study and technology.

Similar to Foundation (well Foundation was originally a collection of short stories) and it being written 70 years ago or so.

It really helps both books (and others from that era) if you have read a lot of books from that era.

I get the idea that the movie is going to take some artistic license with its approach to environmentalism. Like the book deals with ecology and the environment from a perspective from what the environmental movement was a long time ago. The movie adaptation will just be different. The Baron being a complete cartoon bad guy in the book, and the homosexuality bit will be changed around. You can't use his homosexuality to make him evil in this day and age. The character will be less cartoonishly evil and more complex in the movie adaptation.

Spoiler

Saw this screening and was totally pissed off... The script is almost the same as the 80's Version for the first 1:45 and the only real change was Duncan's.demise... Frigging lazy writers... Even worse is that the 2:20 movie ends when Jessica and Paul meet the Fremen in the desert... Gotta wait a few more years for the sequel to finish the story...  Visuals and updated vehicles were cool but the story and scripts are basically the same as it was 30 years ago and you only get half the storyline as the previous version... And the copy of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now for the Harkonens was a lazy ripoff...

Spoiler alert...

Edited by Grimas

7 hours ago, Grimas said:
  Hide contents

Saw this screening and was totally pissed off... The script is almost the same as the 80's Version for the first 1:45 and the only real change was Duncan's.demise... Frigging lazy writers... Even worse is that the 2:20 movie ends when Jessica and Paul meet the Fremen in the desert... Gotta wait a few more years for the sequel to finish the story...  Visuals and updated vehicles were cool but the story and scripts are basically the same as it was 30 years ago and you only get half the storyline as the previous version... And the copy of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now for the Harkonens was a lazy ripoff...

Spoiler alert...

Katerina Hartlova

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

So you’re complaining that 1) a movie based on a book is very similar to another movie based on the same book and 2) you didn’t realize there was more going to be more than one movie?

No, the bitch is there was basically the exact same screenplay and dialog as the movie 30 years ago and it's not like Hebert wrote a single book.  The assumption was that they might take this movie beyond what was done already and expand it... Get creative and do something different rather than rinse and repeat...

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Never read the book, and just recently watched the older movie to see what it was about.  I just don't get it guys.  I'm still in though for Villenueve and this cast.

I don’t understand how Dune won the Hugo and Nebula awards. 1965 must have been a slow year for science fiction.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:54 PM, Grimas said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler alert...

I watched it last night and pretty much agree with this

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, XYZ said:

I don’t understand how Dune won the Hugo and Nebula awards. 1965 must have been a slow year for science fiction.

It won the 65 Nebula award, but the 66 Hugo award.  It beat out Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" for the Hugo, so not exactly a slow year.  It's also in the top 5 best selling SF books of all time.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 3

I liked the original better. 

The wailing and screeching of the score caused my ear drums literal pain. Had I been in the theater I would have had to leave.

Could have shaved 30 minutes of visions off the movie as well. 

The hand to hand combat seemed poorly choreographed which may be due to taking into account the shield tech. I don't know just seemed sluggish.

Cinematography,  costumes, sets, and cgi were incredible. All categories will get Oscar nominations.

6/10. Will never watch it again.

• Hook 'Em 2

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the original.  It certainly blew my mind when I saw it as a young kid.  But it doesn't hold up well at all.  Kyle Mclaughlin and Sean Young can't act for shit, and the story runs too quickly once Paul meets up with the Fremin.

My expectations are well in check since the book is an acquired taste to work thru.  So I will not be disappointed if the movie drifts away from conventional Hollywood storyline.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The shields produced by the Holtzman Generators deflected fast moving objects, but could be penetrated by slow moving ones.  Fighters using the shields were trained to moved fast on defense and slow on offense.

Ah ok, what I was thinking but wasn't sure about it. 

It was cool how even the bombs slowed down to burn through the ship and base shields.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:51 PM, rage-a-holic said:
  1. Zendaya is miscast (she had about 20 seconds of screen time, still not impressed)
  2. Making Liet-Kynes a black chick is stupid pandering  (she was miscast and distracting. Max Von Sydow's corpse would have been a better fit.)
  3. Should have kept the stillsuits from Lynch's versions. These look like light plastic motorcross armor. ( the future visions of battling fremen show them wearing white synthetic/plastic armor, I'm assuming stillsuits underneath)

Pretty much as predicted. Plus:

- The music was extremely disappointing given the insane amount of time and talent they had for the scoring process. All the generic "arabic/middle eastern dramatic screeching" was just fucking terrible. 

- Shield tech was Avengers level inconsistent...it stops fast moving objects, but not Hawaiian ninja swords.

- Rebecca Ferguson is awesome as always. 

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:
Spoiler

- Shield tech was Avengers level inconsistent...it stops fast moving objects, but not Hawaiian ninja swords.

Spoiler

Isn't that a problem with the technology that's in the book? It can't stop a slow moving blade.  I don't remember the book since I read it 30 years ago but that was definitely pointed out in the first movie.

Edited by CooterBrown

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:
  Hide contents

Isn't that a problem with the technology that's in the book? It can't stop a slow moving blade.  I don't remember the book since I read it 30 years ago but that was definitely pointed out in the first movie.

Spoiler

That's my point. Duncan isn't moving slow. His sword isn't moving slow. He's just slicing and dicing through shields like a coked up ninja. But prior to that they clearly demonstrate multiple times that fast moving objects immediately slow to a snail crawl when hitting a shield.