Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Este.  Especially the reading level. 

Hence the stop at 1 or fall down the rabbit hole.  The next couple of books are supposed to be pretty good, but they get progressively worse.  I’ve had enough people tell me they wished they had stopped at one, that I’ve never gone on.  I have reread the Dune tho.

it’s a bit like the Matrix, I guess.

First book is great. Herbert wrote 1-6. There is a big time jump in one of those, I think 5 and that was tough. His kid finished the series with Kevin J Anderson who I greatly enjoyed in the SW novels, second only to Timothy Zahn. Some where a little more fluff, but I enjoyed just about all of them.  They all built on each other in the end. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i did cheat a little at the beginning, i looked up a plot summary, just to get the gist of the initial turnover to the Atraides... so yeah i was confused for like the first 20 mins but once i got the big picture it was cool.

That’s my only big complaint. Why Harkonnen lost it and why immediately attacked Altreides was rushed

It was good but slow since most of the action happens in what would be part 2. Visually stunning but some of the music took me out of it.  Def could have been 20-30 min shorter. It’s going to be 5 hours when you do part 2. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I kind of liked not showing the Emperor in Part 1. He’s a mysterious hand wielding unfathomable power. The scene on Sardaukar was awesome. Any scene with the Sardaukar was pretty cool. 

Yeah they look formidable until they get Chaaa-aksa’d in the ass !

• Like 1

Saw it last night. As a fan of the book, I knew I would love the movie going in. Not disappointed.

12 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

That’s my only big complaint. Why Harkonnen lost it and why immediately attacked Altreides was rushed

I’m uncertain if it’s central to the overall plot but I enjoy the book’s detail on the atreides rule on arrakis. I can’t recall their rule duration on arrakis but the movie basically made it seem like 2 days.

I do recall the book demonstrating how they want to raise the conditions of the poor/fremen. End corruption. More discussion on smugglers. This also provides background on how the guild fears disruption of spice production. I can also understand that can make a boring movie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Saw it last night. As a fan of the book, I knew I would love the movie going in. Not disappointed.

I’m uncertain if it’s central to the overall plot but I enjoy the book’s detail on the atreides rule on arrakis. I can’t recall their rule duration on arrakis but the movie basically made it seem like 2 days.

I do recall the book demonstrating how they want to raise the conditions of the poor/fremen. End corruption. More discussion on smugglers. This also provides background on how the guild fears disruption of spice production. I can also understand that can make a boring movie.

the Sci fi series had a dinner party, attended by the princess. Lot of ins and outs there in that scene 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

I took it as an immediate strike while they were setting up their command and their defenses and trying to get the spice production up and running.  The timing was to insure that they had their attention scattered.   

It seems the Harkonnen gave up oversight as a ploy to both destroy the Atreides house and to demonstrate that the Harkonnens were adept at keeping the spice production flowing.   The Emperor took issue with the growing prestige of the Atreides, and he wanted the other's to come to him not to them for aid.   

But I never read the books, and I haven't seen the Lynch Dune in a LONG time.  Never saw the Sci-Fi episodes.  

Yeah exactly. Movie made it seem like Harkonnen left, Altreides moved in, and then was attacked all in like a one week span

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah exactly. Movie made it seem like Harkonnen left, Altreides moved in, and then was attacked all in like a one week span

Neither movie adequately depicted the time frame between the Atreides arrival and Harkonnen attack:

the 1984 Lynch version - 35 minutes of screen time

this version - 40 minutes of screen time

Neither version had any exposition about how long the Atreides "ruled" on Arrakis.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This movie was great. All the performances were solid, cinematography mesmerizing, world building was unique, and the music was perfect.

Only absolute regards and book fags could have issue it.

I'm a book fag and I thought it was fantastic.  It was obviously very compressed by necessity, but I thought it was very true to the book.  Visually it was stunning and really captured the feel of the book.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:08 AM, Bateshorn said:

There seem to be only two lines of thought about the books: read the first one and stop, or read all of them, even the terrible cash grabs done by the kid.

Herbert wrote the first book after spending time in the Oregon desert. Nobody would publish it till a technical manual publisher did it on a whim.  I don’t think he really planned on it becoming the huge success it did.

Got it :)

7B6B3CE2-6EE6-4CF7-9C89-2F34ADEEBF9A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought Mamoa was a terrific bad ass warrior. Heroic, honorable death. 

Brolin dies off screen? 

Bautista was also good. 

Skarsgard is about as menacing as a 600 pound man that floats through the air in a nightshirt can be. 

yeah that was weird, i kept asking 'what happened to Brolin? where'd he go??' i honestly thought he was gonna pop up somewhere in the end heh

• Haha 1

So, I watched the first half of the 1984 movie tonight, and the folks who were disappointed that it was too much like that version have to be high on something. That version is MST3K bad. This one was nothing like it. There were a few lines that were basically the same, but given they are based on the same source material that is expected.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

How many books ?

cuz imma bout to hit up Amazon 

I'd recommend buying Dune, and if you like that to get the next two, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

God Emperor of Dune takes places 3,500 years after Children of Dune ends, and it's my favorite book in the series.

I tried to read the fifth book, Heretics of Dune, but it takes place 1,500 years after God Emperor of Dune, and I just couldn't get into it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

I'd recommend buying Dune, and if you like that to get the next two, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

God Emperor of Dune takes places 3,500 years after Children of Dune ends, and it's my favorite book in the series.

I tried to read the fifth book, Heretics of Dune, but it takes place 1,500 years after God Emperor of Dune, and I just couldn't get into it.

Username checks out 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Neither movie adequately depicted the time frame between the Atreides arrival and Harkonnen attack:

the 1984 Lynch version - 35 minutes of screen time

this version - 40 minutes of screen time

Neither version had any exposition about how long the Atreides "ruled" on Arrakis.

The new version makes it seem like the Atreides were overthrown in the first couple of nights after the primary group arrived, which makes how easily they were overthrown more believable to casual observers. I think it works fine, although yes it's different from the book 

I've seen casual viewers complain about how easily they fell due to the flipping of one doctor, who they was able to kill their defenses, but they movie didn't do a great job of showing how it's supposed to be impossible for that doctor to go against his training to not do something like flip against the family he's working for 

I can't fault Villeneuve from effectively ignoring certain elements or not directly addressing them like Mentat abilities or suk conditioning. Trying to explain them would make the movie feel like a history lesson. Even the spacing guild was barely mentioned outside that they needed spice. IMO, the spacing guild controlling the emperor in the beginning was perhaps the best scene in the original movie. 

As a side book note, I always thought the Yueh storyline was overly weak. the Suk conditioning was universally seen as unbreakable but all you have to do if kidnap a suk's love one? And the Harkonnens' plan depended on Yueh and breaking that conditioning? 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't fault Villeneuve from effectively ignoring certain elements or not directly addressing them like Mentat abilities or suk conditioning. Trying to explain them would make the movie feel like a history lesson. Even the spacing guild was barely mentioned outside that they needed spice. IMO, the spacing guild controlling the emperor in the beginning was perhaps the best scene in the original movie. 

As a side book note, I always thought the Yueh storyline was overly weak. the Suk conditioning was universally seen as unbreakable but all you have to do if kidnap a suk's love one? And the Harkonnens' plan depended on Yueh and breaking that conditioning? 

Right, you have to decide how much exposition you think the more casual viewers will be able to stand before it turns into a Chris Nolan exposition fest 

I think/hope we'll see more guild and emperor stuff in Part II

Never read the books, but I caught the older movie a month ago on HBO and was not impressed.  Honestly I don't have any idea how that movie is as well received as it is.  The acting is terrible and the story felt way to rushed.  I really wish I didn't see that and went in blind to this one.  This version actually has me wanting to read the books.

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

bad mouth the movies and tv series all you want, but if anyone denigrates the PC video game, i will hurt you IRL

dune-2-05.png

Fucking Idiots.  They had the video game formula for Warcraft/Starcraft.  Should have made billions

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Didnt read any of the books or synopsis or anything. Went in totally blind

Loved it. However, im a DV fanboi. The world building and acting were top notch. Cinematography was incredible. Could have definitely been longer. One of the best movies of the year

hopefully there will be an extended version at some point. I assume there are many additional scenes for Part 1.

Saw it.  Liked it.  Went hard in the paint as a child with all the books.  I hope they can get enough steam to drive hard in this direction as they seemed poised to draw this out as long as they can.

Getting into the 'thinking machine' and then forward to the God Emperor material would be fantastic and the epic battles that followed.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Saw it.  Liked it.  Went hard in the paint as a child with all the books.  I hope they can get enough steam to drive hard in this direction as they seemed poised to draw this out as long as they can.

Getting into the 'thinking machine' and then forward to the God Emperor material would be fantastic and the epic battles that followed.  

I don't know if they could sustain it, but I would love to see 4 movies in total to get through children of dune.  Assuming a part 2 gets through Dune, I don't see 1 movie alone doing justice for messiah and children.