2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Due to the violent rhetoric in politics these days it seems to me that VP selection is mainly finding someone who your base supports but also who scares the shit out of the other side as assassination insurance. 

Man, those guys think of everything.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but why is Alaska not called? Isn't it like California where you can call it as soon as the in person polls close?

You might be wondering about North Carolina and Alaska, two unprojected states that we haven’t heard a peep from in days. Well, there’s a good reason for that: Both states accept absentee ballots that arrive as late as next week, and they won’t provide any updates until Nov. 10 (in Alaska) and Nov. 12 or 13 (in North Carolina). In fact, Alaska hasn’t released any absentee-ballot results yet, so that state (and its surprisingly competitive Senate race) is still up in the air.

21 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I swear to fucking god if any of you former republicans that voted for Biden fall for this shit you should be ashamed. 

Well, the debt will ultimately need to be addressed, but Trump and his congressional buffoons are more responsible for running it up than anyone.

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You might be wondering about North Carolina and Alaska, two unprojected states that we haven’t heard a peep from in days. Well, there’s a good reason for that: Both states accept absentee ballots that arrive as late as next week, and they won’t provide any updates until Nov. 10 (in Alaska) and Nov. 12 or 13 (in North Carolina). In fact, Alaska hasn’t released any absentee-ballot results yet, so that state (and its surprisingly competitive Senate race) is still up in the air.

I get NC, because its still within margin. But Alaska is 62% trump right now, 33% Biden. It just seems they could call it like they do states where you know the result when the polls close like NY and California and Oklahoma. 

Edited by 'stache

10 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That people that do this kind of shit look idiotic and it's not limited to one political party?

Negged for intellectual dishonesty, absurd both-siding, and non-parallel example.

The point, as you know, was not about belief in God or worship.The point is seeking out the radical religious sects and pandering to them to get their votes by using abortion and lies about "God being removed from schools."* That led to the sects bringing their other values and intransigence to other issues and seizing control of much of the GOP.

I neither believe nor worship. I tolerate and often respect those who do and what it does for them and their world. Dems praying is not the same as charismatic (likely charleton) Christian evangelists jumping into government via the GOP and in disagreement with the notion of separation of church and state.

*Who knew an omnipotent, omnipresent God could be so easily seized by the scruff of his neck and tossed out of an elementary school?

2 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Well this brings up a dilemma. I'm out of Highland Park. Still have some Ardbeg 17 and Macallan cask strength though; just wondering if that will get me through tonight (ah, who am I kidding, make that today and tonight) or do I need to make a run to Twins?

What would Gritty do?

Gritty would run to Twins because there is no such thing as too much Ardbeg 17.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

"How many votes will Trump lose by in Pennsylvania?"

"About Tree Gritty!!!"

These crazy Philadelphians can set fire to Santa's sleigh vs just throwing battery packed snowballs at him for all I care after this awesome display of voting prowess!!

You may be onto something.  Biden's cancel Christmas plan fits in nicely with Philly's throw snowballs at Santa ethos.

40 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

When the dust settles, I'd love to pull together a list of the best nicknames for the Trumpkin movement.  My short list:

• Y'all Qaeda
  • Vanilla ISIS
  • Howdy Arabians
  • American Caliphate

Whatchagot, Surly?

Xenophobic, bigoted, racist, ignorant, socially insecure and hate-filled people ?

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

I don't know enough about the case to make a prediction either way if the Court hears it, but looking at the petition for a writ, the issue is whether PA can count the ballots that arrive 3 days after election day as long as they are postmarked for election day. Unless those ballots were identified and separated before counting, what relief can be granted there? A response to the petition is due by Nov. 25. I think if GA, NV, and AZ hold, petition will be denied due to being moot. Bush v. Gore was very clear and this PA case probably can't really add to the precedent.

The big issue is this.

• Pennsylvania's statutory law, enacted in March, says votes only count if received by election day.  There is no provision for emergency modification by the courts, the SoS, or the lege (some states have this)
  • Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that that should be extended by 3 days, based on the USPS advice that it could not deliver and return ballots on the timeframe contemplated by the statute and thus was necessary under PAs "Free and Fair Elections Clause" of their constitution, which has no analog in the US Constitution.

Pennsylvania statutory election law basically can't be reviewed by SCOTUS.  Judicial interpretations can, most especially when they fly in the face of the statute, as this seems to do.

This can either violate Article II by creating "new law" not through the legislative process, or the one-man-one-vote principle of the Equal Protection Clause.  The Article II argument got little traction in Bush v. Gore, but the EPC argument won the day because the recount (trying to figure out what hanging chads meant) was treating certain ballots differently post-election than pre-election.  I'm not sure how you get there with this one.  Nor am I sure the remedy would be anything other than invalidating the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling, prospectively.

Thankfully, it appears that PA late ballots are not significant in number.

• Hook 'Em 1

This election has completely reinforced my hatred of cable news. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, all of them. Every single network out there knows that this thing is over and should be called, but they're trying to squeeze every dollar out of this race. The longer it drags on the more room you're giving Trump to grandstand. I don't care which way each particular network or commentator leans, they are all ghouls. Money over doing the right thing always. Just call the fucking thing, you greedy fucks.

Yep. It’s irresponsible to pretend like the outcome in PA or NV is in doubt. Probably AZ too but maybe you wait for one more big update if you haven’t called. It just encourages more build up of negative reactions. Get it over with. You’ll have dipshit in chief and Cult 45 antics to cover.

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

None of that works.

Trump's movement is primarily rooted in economically secure white people, not rednecks and yokels. It's not the guys who rebuild the engines on the trucks, it's the guys who own and manage the dealership.

Come to my rural Colorado ghetto and you would feel a bit differently.  I'm not saying Trump's movement does not include the people you mentioned, but in poor, white rural America, the Trump is strong.

Case in point:  I went to the only coffee shop in town this morning, and as I was ordering a redneck yokel ran in and interrupted me to tell the lady behind the counter that Biden did it, he stole the election and that she needs to "get ready."  She told him to STFU politely, but as soon as I got through with my order, she stepped outside to talk to him.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I get NC, because its still within margin. But Alaska is 62% trump right now, 33% Biden. It just seems they could call it like they do states where you know the result when the polls close like NY and California and Oklahoma. 

Evidently a large portion of the remaining ballots in Alaska will come from Biden areas. Enough to make it interesting anyway. 

No.  That's how the system has worked for over 250 years.  Trump being elected in 2016 falls as much on the Dems as anyone else.  Alot of people did not like Clinton and were attracted by the potential for something new.  Support the EC for what it is, and do not cry about the outcome like cheeto did last night.  The EC did not cause the rift in this country.  Limp-dicked Republicans in power and race-baiting MAGA's did.
this is such bullshit and a byproduct of the myth of American exceptionalism. hugo has it right, the reality is that our deeply flawed electoral system empowers minority rule and creates circus elections. the EC is anachronistic and inherently undemocratic.

7 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Well this brings up a dilemma. I'm out of Highland Park. Still have some Ardbeg 17 and Macallan cask strength though; just wondering if that will get me through tonight (ah, who am I kidding, make that today and tonight) or do I need to make a run to Twins?

@Brisketexan drank all of my Lagavulin 16 year Tuesday night.  So it's either the Johnnie Walker Blue or my last bottle of Pappy for tonight.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. It’s irresponsible to pretend like the outcome in PA or NV is in doubt. Probably AZ too but maybe you wait for one more big update if you haven’t called. It just encourages more build up of negative reactions. Get it over with. You’ll have dipshit in chief and Cult 45 antics to cover.

They have to stretch it into one more prime time. 

9 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

That Twins off Cole/Fitzhugh delivers with Postmates.  

Edited by SameSame