2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Jesus, in other words, I'm going to set up a PAC to steal money from

All those folks who signed up for tickets, had the phone app, etc can join each other in receiving those wonderful TRUMPPAC texts and emails not just during election seasons, but like the gym membership from hell--all the time! Whoohoo!

33 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

As funny as the Trumps running the GOP would be, pleas god no.   Get those clowns out of our politics.

Yeah this. When Trump ran to be the GOP candidate in '16 I thought it was hilarious and was looking forward to the shit show he would cause before he inevitably was run out of those primaries. Laughed through the early debates. Then I thought at least he would lose the general election by a landslide once he won the nomination. Now four years later we managed to barely deny him a second term.

It's impossible to overestimate the stupidity of the American electorate apparently. Keeping this family of grifters around for the lulz is playing with fire (which is why they are obviously not going anywhere any time soon).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The problem Trump and the GOP have is that unlike Florida in 2000 - its not just one county in one state.  Trump would need the Supreme Court to toss out election results in three states.  And even if they 'tossed' those state results (and with it the 47 electoral votes for PA, AZ, and GA) it could be argued that Biden would only need to win the majority (246) of the rest of the 491 electoral votes.  Which he would have.

Even a corrupt Supreme Court isn't overturning this election.

The reason Trump (but really McConnell) was in such a hurry to get the Stepford wife on the court was because there was a real fear that it might come down to just one state (PA) and just a few votes like Florida in 2000.  It didn't.  This vote isn't close.  A court isn't going to be able to steal it.

How insane has our country become that there is an acknowledgment that if this had been close then our votes would be invalidated by the Supreme Court?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

And the grift goes on,

And the grift goes on...

Yeah, he's not using money to buy influence over the GOP.  He's using influence over the GOP to raise money.  It's not like he has some broad legislative agenda he is pushing. 

The great things about PACs, compared to campaigns, is that it is a lot easier to utilize the money for personal usage.  For example, Devin Nunes:

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., used funds from New PAC, his leadership political action committee, to purchase steak dinners, limo rides, and nearly $15,000 in Boston Celtics basketball games tickets, Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings show.

The expenditures were first reported by the Fresno Bee and do not appear to break any federal laws.

A leadership PAC like Nunes' New PAC is a separate pot of money from a lawmaker's own campaign fund, intended to help politicians strategically finance other candidates' campaigns. In recent years, however, leadership PACs have increasingly been used to pay for lavish trips, meals and hotel stays, rather than to support political allies.

By law, officeholders cannot use campaign funds for "personal use." However, leadership PACs are less closely regulated; the Senate ethics committee does not claim jurisdiction over leadership PACs, and while House ethics rules state that the "personal use" ban applies to leadership PACs, lawmakers are rarely taken to task for lavish spending written off as fundraising expenditures.

Nunes is awful, for some many reasons

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Watch Breyer try to retire in two years and Mitch refuse to hold confirmation hearings on Biden's nominee because he doesn't recognize him as the "duly elected president" or some shit.

Dems aren't getting a judge through unless they have the senate. Full stop.

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This. He’s been saying it forever. It was always the strategy and you were fine with it. 

There just wasn't enough evidence until now that Trump was a lying shitbag who cared about nothing but himself. Can't blame @pearlandhorn for being fooled. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The problem Trump and the GOP have is that unlike Florida in 2000 - its not just one county in one state.  Trump would need the Supreme Court to toss out election results in three states.  And even if they 'tossed' those state results (and with it the 47 electoral votes for PA, AZ, and GA) it could be argued that Biden would only need to win the majority (246) of the rest of the 491 electoral votes.  Which he would have.

Even a corrupt Supreme Court isn't overturning this election.

The reason Trump (but really McConnell) was in such a hurry to get the Stepford wife on the court was because there was a real fear that it might come down to just one state (PA) and just a few votes like Florida in 2000.  It didn't.  This vote isn't close.  A court isn't going to be able to steal it.

It won't be framed as cancelling the election or even declaring Trump the winner. While so many focus on the court cases and rational argument, the final move for Trump and his criminal accomplices in the GOP will be to declare that they are the ones saving democracy. Their cult and other hysterical rightists already believe that.

Shouldn't we be suspicious that Trump is removing a Secretary of Defense who vehemently opposes using the miltary domestically. In fact, the news opines that Trump fired him over that very issue. Esper wouldn't go along with Trump and the GOP senate employing the military to quell the violence likely to happen should Trump move to claim the office.

Let's say they find some ruling somewhere to provide the barest of justifications for doubting the vote. Let's say the Army lines the streets of Democratic cities with orders to save the republic from violent protest. Let's say 45% of the people not only support but cheer this because they've bought into the fear.

Does the shooting start? Does a largely complacent populace demonstrate that they will risk their lives for democracy? Can this anti-Trump contingent act in such a way that nullifies the lies and fear spewed for decades?

Both sides will claim they are for democracy. It doesn't matter to one side that they're full of shit and too stupid to even understand the simplest concepts upholding this republic.

I'm not holding on to a prediction about violence. I, too, was pacified by the victory. Even now, I predict nothing. However, I am beginning to feel dread. While Dems happily dance and celebrate, a very dark monster materializes just over the horizon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Lindsey Graham said on Fox News- We need to eliminate almost all mail in voting options going forward because they are heavily against Republicans.

"If you're a young African American, an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state. You just need to be conservative, not liberal." 

Lady Graham really wearing his heart on his sleeve these days. 

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It's going to be this way until the votes are certified and the Biden people have a legal case to force GSA to sign the papers.  So probably early December.  As long as the votes are still in their initial canvass, there's not much the Biden people can do.  Unless they can convince Trump to concede somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1

This makes me feel... maybe a little better? In general Jake Sherman and Anna Palmer are reflective of the actual Capital Hill environment and the true state of each caucus. 

BUT, IN REALITY, all of this is a bit less than meets the eye. Senate Republicans are suggesting the president’s time is limited, and he needs to produce evidence -- and soon. Georgia Secretary of State BRAD RAFFENSPERGER said he isn’t resigning. JOE BIDEN’S team is mulling legal action to force the government to begin the transition. A.G. BILL BARR’S memorandum says: “investigations ‘may be conducted if there are clear and apparently-credible allegations of irregularities that, if true, could potentially impact the outcome of a federal election in an individual State’” -- a lot of caveats there.

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It's going to be this way until the votes are certified and the Biden people have a legal case to force GSA to sign the papers.  So probably early December.  As long as the votes are still in their initial canvass, there's not much the Biden people can do.  Unless they can convince Trump to concede somehow.

To put an even finer point on it, Dec. 6 is the safe harbor deadline for certified results to appoint electors and none of Trump's lawsuits look like they are going anywhere, so at that point, Biden could ask for a writ of mandamus (am I getting this right, law dogs?) and argue the election has been "ascertained"

The other issue is we are having an Indian Summer on the eastern seaboard, so Trump is still here because he can play golf locally.  I question how much his engagement on this issue is going to be maintained once the weather turns and he decides to move down to Mara Logo to get away from the cold. He will then be separated from most of the White House apparatus. 

Edited by Bateshorn

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yep. Not a single judge unless the Dems win both senate seats in Georgia, or somehow scrape together 2 wins in 2022, and that will be very iffy. 

I don't know about that. Biden was a pretty shrewd operator in the Senate. He knowns when and where to apply leverage in a way that Obama did not and can make things difficult for the entire GOP caucus.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yep. Not a single judge unless the Dems win both senate seats in Georgia, or somehow scrape together 2 wins in 2022, and that will be very iffy. 

I’ve believed since Garland that if the Senate abdicates its “advice and consent” role, the president still has the constitutional authority to make appointments. If McConnell refuses up or down votes, Biden should start swearing in people without him. Even originalists appointed to the courts wouldn’t agree that constitutional intent was for the Senate to be able to prevent an appointment without a vote. 

That’s a long winded way of saying- Fuck around, and find out. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

To put an even finer point on it, Dec. 6 is the safe harbor deadline for certified results to appoint electors and none of Trump's lawsuits look like they are going anywhere, so at that point, Biden could ask for a writ of mandamus (am I getting this right, law dogs?) and argue the election has been "ascertained"

If they don't do it by then they're horribly negligent. The winner has already been "ascertained" (there's a reason the law doesn't say "certified") but I'm not confident that SCOTUS would grant that writ today. 

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't know about that. Biden was a pretty shrewd operator in the Senate. He knowns when and where to apply leverage in a way that Obama did not and can make things difficult for the entire GOP caucus.

Maybe. Hope so. But I don't believe Joe Biden's Senate exists anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It won't be framed as cancelling the election or even declaring Trump the winner. While so many focus on the court cases and rational argument, the final move for Trump and his criminal accomplices in the GOP will be to declare that they are the ones saving democracy. Their cult and other hysterical rightists already believe that.

Shouldn't we be suspicious that Trump is removing a Secretary of Defense who vehemently opposes using the miltary domestically. In fact, the news opines that Trump fired him over that very issue. Esper wouldn't go along with Trump and the GOP senate employing the military to quell the violence likely to happen should Trump move to claim the office.

Let's say they find some ruling somewhere to provide the barest of justifications for doubting the vote. Let's say the Army lines the streets of Democratic cities with orders to save the republic from violent protest. Let's say 45% of the people not only support but cheer this because they've bought into the fear.

Does the shooting start? Does a largely complacent populace demonstrate that they will risk their lives for democracy? Can this anti-Trump contingent act in such a way that nullifies the lies and fear spewed for decades?

Both sides will claim they are for democracy. It doesn't matter to one side that they're full of shit and too stupid to even understand the simplest concepts upholding this republic.

I'm not holding on to a prediction about violence. I, too, was pacified by the victory. Even now, I predict nothing. However, I am beginning to feel dread. While Dems happily dance and celebrate, a very dark monster materializes just over the horizon.

There will be some protest, but the pump was primed to view them as thugs and outlaws already. In Minsk, the populace countered this by having grandparents and children march. Guess what? To someone who doesn't give a shit about you, demographics are irrelevant. You've already been dehumanized. Look across the water. This is why we were promoting democracy. Because it matters. But too many here didn't really want democracy for all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mitch McConnell isn't confirming a Justice nominated by a Democrat while he is majority leader.  I guess Biden could nominate someone recommended by the Federalist Society, but short of that, it's not happening.

Edited by kevwun