2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread -- News, Notes, Trades, etc

Reynolds Woodcock

To recap the thread from the old place:

aggie08: Warriors!

MBU/Deterium/P: LeBron is my everything!

MNLonghorn: KAT is GOAT!

Derka: Russell Westbrook is everything that is wrong with modern society. 

Posters who shall not be named: off-topic, pointless meme.

Patrick Bateman: thought-provoking analysis.

Jayhawk: breathtakingly poor analysis. 

That about it?

We Want Fultz chants are answered for final couple minutes. And then the crowd comes with a "Fultz...Fultz...Fultz" chant derived from "Foles" which was derived from "Skol" stolen from the Vikings, complete with overhead hand clap. 

Sixers in general looking really balanced, deep and dangerous. Still a couple weeks and who knows how they come out in the playoffs. Definitely another story to watch in late April.

I'm seeing a lot more "Lebron should be MVP" stories around the internets. There might be a late season push to give it to him over Harden, but I think most of the sports writers will lean towards giving it to Harden for the "best player on the best team" reasoning. I don't really see the argument of giving it to LBJ when he basically checked out for the month of January (seems to be a recurring thing for him), his team is fighting to hang onto 3rd in the East, and is 6th overall. Though last year it went to a guy who had the 6th best team in the west, and 11th overall team, so maybe records don't matter this year either?  I dunno, it's such an ambiguous award. 

MIAMI -- LeBron James has someone in mind for the MVP award this season.

Himself.

This is a season in which prohibitive MVP favorite James Harden has done phenomenal things with NBA-leading Houston, reigning MVP Russell Westbrook has been fantastic again for Oklahoma City, and Anthony Davis has found a new stratosphere to take his game, especially after New Orleans lost DeMarcus Cousins.

James raves about them all. But ...

"I would vote for me," James told The Associated Press. "The body of work, how I'm doing it, what's been happening with our team all year long, how we've got so many injuries and things of that nature, guys in and out, to be able to still keep this thing afloat, I definitely would vote me."

His numbers with the Cleveland Cavaliers this season compare favorably -- or exceed -- the five-season run between 2008-09 and 2012-13 when he won the MVP award four times. His averages then: 27.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.3 assists on 52 percent shooting while playing 38 minutes per game.

This season's numbers are definitely MVP-worthy: 27.4 points, 9.1 assists and 8.6 rebounds on 55 percent shooting.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22942252/cleveland-cavaliers-star-lebron-james-vote-win-mvp-award

Edited by Dutchrudder

i was looking at the schedules, and there is a real chance that philly catches and passes cleveland for the #3 spot in the east.  take a look:

cleveland remaining schedule:

• @ charlotte
  • vs. dallas
  • vs. new orleans
  • vs. toronto
  • vs. washington
  • @ philly
  • @ knicks
  • vs. knicks

philly remaining schedule:

• vs. knicks
  • @ atlanta
  • @ charlotte
  • vs. brooklyn
  • @ detroit
  • vs. cleveland
  • vs. dallas
  • @ atlanta
  • vs. milwaukee
the 6ers should, at worst, go 6-3 and that record accounts for blowing one they really shouldn't.  the two toughest games left are both at home.  both teams are at 30 losses right now and there is one more game between the 2 (cleveland leads the season series 2-1, so i'm not sure what the tie breaker is should philly take that last game and even the series).  

regardless, there is a very real chance that cleveland finishes 4th in the east.