Peloton Worth It?

I'm hoping Apple's new fitness stuff will put some price pressure on Peloton. Seems like they're going after similar demographics.

We like the bike a lot, but $40/month is highway robbery considering how expensive the initial purchase is, what competitors charge, and what Peloton themselves charge for the app if you don't have a bike. Something like $20/month would be way more reasonable.

• Like 1

I'd like the price to come down as well, but if you have multiple users in your household and use it with the app for floor work, strength training, running etc it's well worth it. Cheaper than many gym subscriptions.

Anyone try the new bike boot camp classes? I don't see how this would work well without the swivel screen on the new bike. My bike is positioned with the back against a wall, facing another wall with a TV. No way to work out next to it and use the screen, but can't really bike using the app, or else at least it's pointless for me without the tracking metrics of the bike.

Pulled the trigger on the original bike.  How long did you guys wait to call to try and move up shipping?  Currently, they have us scheduled a month out.
Who is delivering your bike... Peloton or XPO? If XPO, there is an automated number you can call and bump up your delivery date without talking to any mouth breathers. I bumped mine from about 35 days to 8 days. Not sure if you can do the same if Peloton is delivering.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Googling around, it appears that Peloton uses the Look Delta "cleat" or clip.  Shimano SPD is more standard.

So yeah you can use other shoes, but not just any shoes.

You could change the pedals.

That's kind of absurd to me that you need to clip in on a stationary bike.  I guess clips help you with maximum wattage output, which is measured, but still, fuck that.

I'm not a peloton owner, but I am an ex-roadie. You absolutely want clipless pedals. They allow you to exert force throughout the entire pedaling circle (well practically the entire circle.) The main benefit of this on an exercise bike is that you don't get overdeveloped quads/underdeveloped hamstrings. Which could lead to a whole host of issues (knee, hip, back). In addition to mashing down, you can slide your foot back (like pushing back on the floor), pull up, pull forward. Its not about "wattage output" Its more about using more and varied muscles (hamstrings, glutes, calfs, even core muscle groups) than just your quads.

If you stand up as part of your workout, it makes it less likely your foot will slip off the pedal.

Spend the extra 100 or whatever and get clipless. spd or whatever you are used to using.

I assume there is some sort of training video that explains all this? I also hope there is a guide of some sort on how to adjust the cleat position and float, seat height, angle and position, handle bar reach, to minimize the chance of chronic pain or over-use injuries?

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, tokamak said:

I'm hoping Apple's new fitness stuff will put some price pressure on Peloton. Seems like they're going after similar demographics.

We like the bike a lot, but $40/month is highway robbery considering how expensive the initial purchase is, what competitors charge, and what Peloton themselves charge for the app if you don't have a bike. Something like $20/month would be way more reasonable.

We’ve had ours since December and love it.  I think we pay somewhere around 100/month for the bike and subscription, which will go down to $39 when the bike is paid off (0 interest on Black Friday deal).  Prior to this we were paying far more for my Camp Gladiator had her gym membership, neither of which we used regularly due to busy schedule/laziness.  
this summer we both committed after months of 2-3 rides per week.  We are both riding for at least 30 min a day, at least 5 days a week.  It is awesome.  It is the first thing in my life I have actually stuck with and I look forward to my rides.  Totally worth it to us. The $40/month (or $100) is nothing compared the the health value we are getting from it.  After 2 months of riding regularly, we are both down >10 lbs. We get comments on our weight loss from anyone who has not seen us in a while.

The cultish aspect bothered me at first, but now I just go with it.  Closing in on ride 200 in the next month or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Looks like Peloton is delivering.  No worries.  I guess a month is pretty good considering the circumstances.

My in laws ordered in early August and had a 9/16 delivery date.  They went through the Austin store to upgrade to Bike+ and were initially quoted 8-12 weeks.  My father in law has worked the phones with both the store and customer service and their bike arrives on Tuesday (9/29).  It is possible to move it up.

I weighed myself this morning and was at 193.6 which is my lowest in years.  I have been riding mine since May 5 when I got it and try to do it every day. When I started I was probably approaching 210. Started with 30 minute rides, but now do mostly 45 minute rides.  I also do a treadmill run once a week or so and am mixing in some of the bicycle bootcamp classes.  I have lost this weight without really dieting at all.  I try to be smarter with things (no fries when I order Whataburger..except occasionally), but I eat whatever I want on the weekends.

• Hook 'Em 1

Peloton was delivered this weekend. They gave us the choice to upgrade to the new bike but we stuck with the original bike for $350 less. The screen is pretty impressive already so I don’t feel like we’re missing out by not getting a bigger screen. I also expect to use it with Airpods more often than not, so better speakers aren’t that important either.

I was happy that our existing road bike shoes work with the pedals/clips. No need to buy double shoes.

I did my first ride this morning and enjoyed it. It felt pretty similar to every live in-person spin class I’ve ever attended. I like the metrics they provide on the screen so you know if your resistance and cadence are in the target range.

I already run and bike outdoors regularly, but this will be a great supplement when the weather is too hot/cold/rainy or when daylight savings hits and it’s dark in the evenings.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the new bike. Only took 2 weeks to arrive. It’s been awesome so far.

Im impressed that it actually pushes me. I’m competitive as hell but also lazy. When I would go to Orangetheory, I always pushed to do more and be at the top. The Peloton does the same thing with the leaderboard. 

I really like the speakers on the bike and the option to fade out the instructor.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on purchasing a Peloton, but I'm cheap. I want to go with the digital subscription for $12.99/month because I don't need the real-time metrics, in-class performance, and leaderboard stuff. I figure I will just stream classes on my TV or computer.

What I do need is an instructor on my ass telling me what my RPMs and resistance should be. Do the instructors tell you what your cadence and resistance should be throughout your ride? I don't mind manually adjusting the settings.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, mycox said:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on purchasing a Peloton, but I'm cheap. I want to go with the digital subscription for $12.99/month because I don't need the real-time metrics, in-class performance, and leaderboard stuff. I figure I will just stream classes on my TV or computer.

What I do need is an instructor on my ass telling me what my RPMs and resistance should be. Do the instructors tell you what your cadence and resistance should be throughout your ride? I don't mind manually adjusting the settings.

I did not realize there were different levels but I would pay the extra $20 a month for the metrics and leaderboard as I think that's one of the reasons it works.

To your question though, yes. Pretty much all the rides the instructors call out the adjustments during the ride.

3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I did not realize there were different levels but I would pay the extra $20 a month for the metrics and leaderboard as I think that's one of the reasons it works.

To your question though, yes. Pretty much all the rides the instructors call out the adjustments during the ride.

Same boat. They told me it was $40 a month. No upsell/no upgrades, just a flat price. I’ve seen $60 out there as well, not sure if I caught it at the right time. 

Is it worth it? Gosh, I don’t know. In normal times when you can safely go to a gym, I’d say it’s very borderline. There are cheaper gym memberships than $40 a month. Plus the bike costs $2500, and I’m not sure the bike will ever pay for itself. There’s already an upgraded bike in 2020. If they upgrade the bike every year, my bike purchased in 2019 will become obsolete in a hurry. 

I would say if you like group exercise instead of individually working out, a Peloton isn’t for you. 

Yeah I don't need group exercise - I need someone telling me what to do. Which makes me think the $13 digital deal is the best option for me and I save the other $27 for beer money. You get the same exercise classes as the $40 option, just not on the bike screen.

I could also get the old model bike for $1900. I don't need the fancy speakers, rotating screen, and auto-flow resistance.

Just looked and the no interest for 39 months is only a $15/month difference for the bike. Not bad if you look it it that way (but still $600 is a lot of money).

Edited by mycox

19 hours ago, mycox said:

Yeah I don't need group exercise - I need someone telling me what to do. Which makes me think the $13 digital deal is the best option for me and I save the other $27 for beer money. You get the same exercise classes as the $40 option, just not on the bike screen.

I could also get the old model bike for $1900. I don't need the fancy speakers, rotating screen, and auto-flow resistance.

Just looked and the no interest for 39 months is only a $15/month difference for the bike. Not bad if you look it it that way (but still $600 is a lot of money).

Go for it brother. 

On 9/17/2020 at 9:56 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Serious question, why do bike riders clip in? Is it just road bike riders? Why would you do it on a stationary bike?

Mountain bike riders do it too.  It is more efficient.  Instead of applying power through essentially only the downward parts of the pedal stroke, you can apply power raising your foot through nearly 360 degrees of rotation.

It also keeps your foot optimally positioned on the pedal for delivery of power and can avoid weird forces on the knees and hips from awkward positioning on the pedal, and resulting injuries.  But you can just as easily cause injuries (repetitive stress type) by having pedals and clips misadjusted, or your seat height/position wrong, for that matter.

With good platform pedals and flat-soled shoes with good traction, you can come closer to duplicating the effect of pedal clips, but there is still an efficiency advantage.

Bike geeks geek out on "putting down Watts," and that is assisted by shoes and clips.  It translates to speed and hill-climbing power.

From an exercise standpoint, clips and pedals are utterly irrelevant, except maybe avoiding injury.

If you are trying to be a Peloton "stravahole" and put down Watts for some kind of quien es mas macho thing, I guess you'd want clips and shoes.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

I'm not a peloton owner, but I am an ex-roadie. You absolutely want clipless pedals. They allow you to exert force throughout the entire pedaling circle (well practically the entire circle.) The main benefit of this on an exercise bike is that you don't get overdeveloped quads/underdeveloped hamstrings. Which could lead to a whole host of issues (knee, hip, back). In addition to mashing down, you can slide your foot back (like pushing back on the floor), pull up, pull forward. Its not about "wattage output" Its more about using more and varied muscles (hamstrings, glutes, calfs, even core muscle groups) than just your quads.

If you stand up as part of your workout, it makes it less likely your foot will slip off the pedal.

Spend the extra 100 or whatever and get clipless. spd or whatever you are used to using.

I assume there is some sort of training video that explains all this? I also hope there is a guide of some sort on how to adjust the cleat position and float, seat height, angle and position, handle bar reach, to minimize the chance of chronic pain or over-use injuries?

That all assumes you are using pretty good pedaling form.

You can also use good pedaling form with platform pedals and achieve most of the same things.

Probably also worth noting that the bit about "more muscle groups" is hotly debated and the latest studies seem to debunk it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using mine 4-5 times a week the past year, and a little less the year before. After my wife made me buy one that she doesn’t use...

we do the 40 (also didn’t know there were tiers). I haven’t ben used out to any other kinds of workouts but my SIL does them all and loves them. The leaderboard is only good for me in that I use it to try and gauge my general performance. And by that I mean I try to finish in the top 10-15% of the all time leaderboard. But I find value in the heart rate monitor and effort level trackers for output. As another poster said, everyone is different. But yeah, we use it. And yes, most bike classes call out resistance ranges and whatnot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a hardcore biker person but I am homeward bound even during non Covid times. In a bid to get more exercise I purchased a Fit Desk bike a few years ago and have taken to riding it every morning while catching up on emails or calling into meetings that I don't actively participate in. The Fit Desk proved to be a piece of crap and I've replaced it with a recumbent bike and what is basically a tv tray on a pair of 4x4s that straddle the bike and give my knees enough clearance to ride while on my laptop. I typically do a 40 minute interval program. I'm wondering if I would benefit from a less janky setup? My coworker showed me that they have desk extensions for these bikes but can I really read emails or do stuff online while taking a live/recorded class? 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

THIS!!!

but.... very, very important to have your bike setup correctly.  To get the same effect as clipless pedals you would need to tighten the straps to the point your feet would start going to sleep to have the same level of efficiency.  Especially climbing. The secret to riding, IMHO is understanding that pulling is every bit as important as the mashing down.  And that you can go a long long way with high cadence (RPM) and lighter pressure.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:41 PM, mycox said:

I went this route a few weeks ago.  Needed some new cardio options besides running outdoors.  Bought a Bowflex C6 for $900.  Sturdy build bike, magnetic resistance, spd pedals, built in cadence monitor with a numeric reading, heart rate monitor included, and bike computer that syncs with peloton app via bluetooth.  I am able to take the classes, have my cadence and heart rate displayed on screen, and follow along with their specific resistance requests.  I use it nearly everyday so far.  Sometimes to warm up for other workouts, other times just for long cardio routines, and often as a second workout after work to destress with a 20-30 min class.

Finally, I really want to like Jess King's classes because she keeps me engaged visually but holy hell please stop her from talking.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, Bodhi said:

Finally, I really want to like Jess King's classes because she keeps me engaged visually but holy hell please stop her from talking.

She plays for the other team too, if you want to add that mental image in with your visual stimulation. 

For those wanting to be told where your pace and output need to be, try the PowerZone stuff.  Take the FTP test and the bike will give you custom zones on output based on how you manage the FTP 20m ride (which you give your all on for the short test).  Afterwards there will be a little bar at the bottom and when you take a PZ ride the instructor will tell you what zone you’re aiming for.  You also retest after awhile to update your zones.  

Note: I think it’s intrinsic to the regular bike subscription, we have the leaderboard version and I also signed up at the powerzonepack website (where you link your Peloton account) because I am doing a challenge along with my wife...but I don’t think that part is required to get the powerzone bar at the bottom.  

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

We bit the bullet and bought one.  Delivery is 2 months out.   Looks like delivered by Peloton and not a third party provider.   Let me know if any tips for moving date up closer.  Figure it wouldn't hurt to call and check in a few weeks.

You can just chat support from the site every couple weeks and have good luck moving it up. 

You gotta love some program manager(s) at Peloton studying the data over the summer last year. Hmm... people are combining our shorter classes into their own training programs. Light bulb goes off. And now we have the stacked classes feature, lol. Been kinda buggy for me though. Every now and then it’ll overlap between classes or doesn’t show the first one as being complete. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, YChang said:

You gotta love some program manager(s) at Peloton studying the data over the summer last year. Hmm... people are combining our shorter classes into their own training programs. Light bulb goes off. And now we have the stacked classes feature, lol. Been kinda buggy for me though. Every now and then it’ll overlap between classes or doesn’t show the first one as being complete. 

Thank fucking god for stacked classes. I typically do an hour to two hours a day and I got so tired of searching for new rides every time one finished

We bit the bullet and bought one.  Delivery is 2 months out.   Looks like delivered by Peloton and not a third party provider.   Let me know if any tips for moving date up closer.  Figure it wouldn't hurt to call and check in a few weeks.

The people we guilted into buying one after us all called a couple days after purchase and got their delivery date moved up significantly. Granted, that was prior the the holiday rush (which they may be just now catching up on).

On 1/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, Homercles said:

For those wanting to be told where your pace and output need to be, try the PowerZone stuff.  Take the FTP test and the bike will give you custom zones on output based on how you manage the FTP 20m ride (which you give your all on for the short test).  Afterwards there will be a little bar at the bottom and when you take a PZ ride the instructor will tell you what zone you’re aiming for.  You also retest after awhile to update your zones.  

Note: I think it’s intrinsic to the regular bike subscription, we have the leaderboard version and I also signed up at the powerzonepack website (where you link your Peloton account) because I am doing a challenge along with my wife...but I don’t think that part is required to get the powerzone bar at the bottom.  

my wife and I are doing the PZP challenge, too.  This is our second one.  I love having my weekly rides planned for me, though I am tiring of Wilpers’ music selections.  I also like the endurance rides.  Prior to doing these, I was having a hard time backing off and not going for a PR every ride.  My old ass body can’t handle it anymore and I feel I am doing better with their plan.  My FTP went up by ~10 pts after the previous 6 week challenge in the fall.

13 minutes ago, Druggist said:

my wife and I are doing the PZP challenge, too.  This is our second one.  I love having my weekly rides planned for me, though I am tiring of Wilpers’ music selections.  I also like the endurance rides.  Prior to doing these, I was having a hard time backing off and not going for a PR every ride.  My old ass body can’t handle it anymore and I feel I am doing better with their plan.  My FTP went up by ~10 pts after the previous 6 week challenge in the fall.

Yeah I like Dennis selection and style a lot more, particularly since he likes to stay on beat to guide your cadence...that’s how I used to stay motivated when I took RPM classes at Gold’s:  pick good music, keep your cadence tied to the music, tell me in general what we are aiming for, and keep the rah rah crap to a minimum.  

• 2 weeks later...