help, fender bender, trying to pay out of pocket, other guy has upper hand

Long story short...my 15 year old, permitted driver dinged a guy in the parking lot the other day.  It was basically a fender "rub' but there was a very small dent on the qtr panel.  I told the guy i would like to pay out of pocket vs filing insurance.  Well, he sent me his estimate today and it was $10,000.  Granted, its a brand new, 2019 lexus but $10K???

I asked if we could get another estimate and waiting to hear back from him.  Obviously he holds the cards.  Any thoughts other than kill my kid as a sacrifice? 

Just now, chesthair said:

2 teenage drivers is already $$$$$$$  I imagine a claim like this would kill me.

Lol... Understood was there previously with 3... (still am with 2)... all boys.. every time I added one my insurance doubled... not to mention the added cars, gas etc

That said, can't stress enough to shop around on insurance each and every year with teenagers.

Hopefully the guy won't  be a complete dick and get you a couple quotes so know if reasonable. Good luck

• Like 1

Insurance will go up but I can’t imagine it would go up more than the cost of a honest legit repair job.  $10k is total bullshit but I could see it easily exceeding a  grand or two. Size of the dent seems irrelevant. He’s gonna have to repaint and possibly replace the whole panel to get a decent match. Nobody’s going to bondo up a Lexus. I’ve been on the other side of that argument with a guy trying to get me to go cheap on a repair and avoid filing. No thanks, when it’s my car I’m gonna get it fixed properly. But yeah, not at $10k. 

Seems like I read awhile back that efforts to avoid claims almost always end up costing more than the premium increase would have been. I’m on the “that’s why you have insurance” side. 

Here's the exercise I go through with clients all the time. We might need to adjust the numbers at some point as auto rates have gone into the stratosphere because cars are more expensive to repair and there's a lot more distracted driving. For a long time, the rule has seemed to be (assuming no injuries) and less than $3K in property damage, I would advise stroking a check and moving on if you're in position to do this. The issue with filing a claim -- beyond your rates going up for the next 3-5 years -- is that having any (or multiple) claims on your CLU/MVR reports will make you less attractive to other insurers down the road if/when you go shopping. I'm seeing some companies that will not even offer terms if there's a single claim on your report (towing, glass, at-fault accident, etc). Your kid is not even a licensed driver and is going to have a NAF claim on his record -- oy vey?

You're right that this guy holds the cards -- sort of. If he's going to hold to the $10K to repair it and will not get another estimate, tell him to pound sand and let your insurance handle things. You can ask him to see the body shop's work order to justify the $10K if you want. He doesn't have to give it to you. Best to talk to your agent, though, and determine best course of action for you. If you are with a direct writer, however, you might not get much (if any) advisement in this area.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chesthair said:

yup, looking that way. he isnt interested in getting a 2nd.  reading the estimate, there is glass work, antenna, TPMS, etc.  wtf, its maybe 2 inches long on the rear qtr panel. 

The electronics are fucking expensive. Again, if it's going to be $10K use your insurance. No brainer.

The other thing you need to remember about trying to do this without Insurance is that body shops typically take 2-4 weeks to complete even the smallest of jobs. That guy is going to be expecting a rental car during that time to get around. Your insurance company will provide that to him as part of your policy. You'll have to pay that out of pocket in addition to the cost of the body shop if you go without your insurance company.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The other thing you need to remember about trying to do this without Insurance is that body shops typically take 2-4 weeks to complete even the smallest of jobs. That guy is going to be expecting a rental car during that time to get around. Your insurance company will provide that to him as part of your policy. You'll have to pay that out of pocket in addition to the cost of the body shop if you go without your insurance company.

goddammittttttttttttttttttt

52 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Tell him to fuck off and you'll see him in court

This is where I'm at if he's taking Douchebag Boulevard...

Gotdam dude, I'm not buying you a new boat because your anchor got a nick in it.

In the end, I'm likely calling my insurance and having them hash it out.  It's a nick in the quarterpanel, not a fucking lottery ticket.

Edited by Iceman

2 hours ago, chesthair said:

Long story short...my 15 year old, permitted driver dinged a guy in the parking lot the other day.  It was basically a fender "rub' but there was a very small dent on the qtr panel.  I told the guy i would like to pay out of pocket vs filing insurance.  Well, he sent me his estimate today and it was $10,000.  Granted, its a brand new, 2019 lexus but $10K???

I asked if we could get another estimate and waiting to hear back from him.  Obviously he holds the cards.  Any thoughts other than kill my kid as a sacrifice? 

Lexus 3 stage paint is ungodly expensive if they are doing any paint work.  Got a "bump" at a light in one back in the day.  $2K for the tiniest chip in the bumper.  It's a new car, they aren't going to let someone from craigslist buff it out.  Let the insurance handle it

Don’t bother even calling your insurance, that’s his job. He may not even report a claim. I once pulled forward out of a spot and didn’t know the guy next to me had his door open. My truck caught it and bent it all to shit. Gave him my insurance info and left. He never submitted a claim.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Your Mom said:

Insurance will go up but I can’t imagine it would go up more than the cost of a honest legit repair job.  $10k is total bullshit but I could see it easily exceeding a  grand or two. Size of the dent seems irrelevant. He’s gonna have to repaint and possibly replace the whole panel to get a decent match. Nobody’s going to bondo up a Lexus. I’ve been on the other side of that argument with a guy trying to get me to go cheap on a repair and avoid filing. No thanks, when it’s my car I’m gonna get it fixed properly. But yeah, not at $10k. 

Seems like I read awhile back that efforts to avoid claims almost always end up costing more than the premium increase would have been. I’m on the “that’s why you have insurance” side. 

I'd expect $5-6.5K but not $10K.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 4/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, chesthair said:

2 teenage drivers is already $$$$$$$  I imagine a claim like this would kill me.

My permitted son cost me nothing additional for the first 6 months.  Then when he was permitted for 6 months, our premium jumped $3,600.  Fucking kids.  And he can't even go get his license cuz all the DMV's are closed.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:11 PM, chesthair said:

It's going to happen sooner or later.  The sooner it happens, the sooner your overpriced insurance company drops your policy and you get kicked into the state pool.

• 2 years later...

Bump.  Literally.

Got in a fender bender.  Dumb bitch started to accelerate through very beginning of yellow light and then absolutely slammed on brakes.  Like puppies walking across the crosswalk slammed on brakes.  Maybe I'm the dumb bitch because I rear ended her pretty good.

I dinged up the bumper of her Subaru but nothing major;  front end of my sensible sedan took the brunt of it.  She agreed to work with me and settle outside of insurance and got a quote at $3.2k which feels reasonable.  Should I have her sign a simple form releasing me of any further liability / stating she won't go back and report to insurance after the fact?  If so, is that something any of the Surly Law Mafia might have on hand?

Edited by 40acredropout

Use the insurance. Your rate won’t go up much, if at all, unless you’re having accidents frequently.

I rear ended a brand new Blazer a few years ago. No idea on what that cost to repair that car but my bill to repair my Mercedes was $12,000. My insurance didn’t go up one dollar. Liberty Mutual accident forgiveness is actually real.

So you’d rather come out of pocket $6-$10k than risk a slight increase to your premium?

But to answer your question, I think her insurance company might have a few things to say about her filing a claim for something she’s already been paid for. And if something new comes up, like back problems, then she should have every right to either seek more money from you or through insurance.