Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I see this kind of shit, it makes me feel so much better that the worst thing I've ever done with my son is too let him play too much Minecraft, or let him watch the Star Wars sequels.

Or prequels.  I tried to never let him know there were prequels, but he saw the 3 dvd set at Costco once and I had to let him watch.  I wish I was unaware of both the prequels and sequels.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

Or prequels.  I tried to never let him know there were prequels, but he saw the 3 dvd set at Costco once and I had to let him watch.  I wish I was unaware of both the prequels and sequels.

TBH the prequels have been more or less rehabilitated by the Clone Wars show. The storytelling in the movies isn't great but the story is still good.

The sequels are unmitigated dogshit though, just a matter of time until it's legends 2.0

AP News link

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — The three men convicted of murder in Ahmaud Arbery’s fatal shooting were found guilty of federal hate crimes and other lesser charges Tuesday for violating Arbery’s civil rights and targeting him because he was Black.

In addition to the federal hate crimes, the jury also found father and son Greg and Travis McMichael and neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan guilty of attempted kidnapping, while the McMichaels were also found guilty of the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime.

During the trial, prosecutors showed roughly two dozen text messages and social media posts in which Travis McMichael and Bryan used racist slurs and made derogatory comments about Black people. The FBI wasn’t able to access Greg McMichael’s phone because it was encrypted.

The McMichaels grabbed guns and jumped in a pickup truck to pursue Arbery after seeing him running in their neighborhood outside the Georgia port city of Brunswick in February 2020. Bryan joined the pursuit in his own pickup and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael fatally shooting Arbery. The killing became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice after the graphic video leaked online two months later.

The trial closed Monday with prosecutors saying 25-year-old Arbery’s slaying on a residential street was motivated by “pent-up racial anger,” revealed by the defendants’ electronic messages as well as by witnesses who testified to hearing them make racist tirades and insults.

“All three defendants told you loud and clear, in their own words, how they feel about African Americans,” prosecutor Tara Lyons told the jury Monday.

Defense attorneys insisted that past racist statements by their clients offered no proof they violated Arbery’s civil rights and targeted him because he’s Black. They urged the jury to set aside their emotions.

“It’s natural for you to want retribution or revenge,” said Pete Theodocion, representing William “Roddie” Bryan. “But we have to elevate ourselves ... even if it’s the tough thing.”

FBI agents uncovered roughly two dozen racist text messages and social media posts from the McMichaels and Bryan in the years and months preceding the shooting.

For instance, in 2018, Travis McMichael commented on a Facebook video of a Black man playing a prank on a white person: “I’d kill that f----ing n----r.”

Some witnesses testified they heard the McMichaels’ racist statements firsthand. A woman who served under Travis McMichael in the U.S. Coast Guard a decade ago said he called her “n——r lover,” after learning she’d dated a Black man. Another woman testified Greg McMichael had ranted angrily in 2015 when she remarked on the death of civil rights activist Julian Bond, saying, “All those Blacks are nothing but trouble.”

TL:DR - their racist social media posts, text messages, and witness accounts of prior behavior were sufficient to convince the jury of their racist and hateful intent in lynching Arbery. In addition to the hate crimes, all three got popped for attempted kidnapping and the McMichaels were popped for use of a firearm in commission of a crime

those text messages were something else.  the n bomb is so toxic to me that i don't even type it into a search engine, hard r or not, for any reason (e.g., when i wanted to pull up the gif of denzel in training day saying it i had to invent some dumb work around). that toxicity stretches back to about when i was 6th grade at the oldest, and it wasn't because i was raised by some race conscious progressives.  quite the opposite.  i can't believe people are so loose with that word after gaining even an ounce of maturity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

those text messages were something else.  the n bomb is so toxic to me that i don't even type it into a search engine, hard r or not, for any reason (e.g., when i wanted to pull up the gif of denzel in training day saying it i had to invent some dumb work around). that toxicity stretches back to about when i was 6th grade at the oldest, and it wasn't because i was raised by some race conscious progressives.  quite the opposite.  i can't believe people are so loose with that word after gaining even an ounce of maturity.

What are you talking about, what's toxic about a female name?

Monica Denzel GIFs | Tenor

Seriously though, fuck these pieces of human shit, hope their stay in prison is not pleasant. I'm against the death penalty, but if it exists, these assholes deserve it, and the fact that they won't get it just underscores one of many, many, many reasons I'm against it, be fair or abolish it altogether.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What are you talking about, what's toxic about a female name?

Monica Denzel GIFs | Tenor

Seriously though, fuck these pieces of human shit, hope their stay in prison is not pleasant. I'm against the death penalty, but if it exists, these assholes deserve it, and the fact that they won't get it just underscores one of many, many, many reasons I'm against it, be fair or abolish it altogether.

I’m for capital punishment in the abstract. But since we as humans and societies cannot apply it equitably, fairly, or justly, I don’t think we should have the opportunity to use it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m for capital punishment in the abstract. But since we as humans and societies cannot apply it equitably, fairly, or justly, I don’t think we should have the opportunity to use it. 

This is kinda where I fall. There are probably a few cases where I could be persuaded to use it, but it should be very rare and the prosecution should have to waive qualified immunity in order to use it. And that's not even getting into the increased expense of executing someone.

• 2 months later...

One of Ahmaud Arbery's killers had 16 phone calls with DA before arrest, court filings say

(CNN)In the weeks following the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, Greg McMichael, one of the men later convicted in Arbery's death, participated in 16 phone calls with the former Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jackie Johnson, according to court documents filed in the Superior Court of Glynn County on Wednesday.

Arbery, 25, was shot on February 23, 2020, while running from Greg McMichael, his son Travis and the McMichaels' neighbor, William "Roddie" Bryan, in the Satilla Shores neighborhood of Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia.

The three were convicted last November of Arbery's murder. In February, a jury found that the three White men had chased Arbery as he was jogging because he was Black. It found them guilty of interference of rights, a federal hate crime; and attempted kidnapping.
The document filed Wednesday was the prosecution's response to two motions to dismiss criminal charges against Johnson for her role in allegedly mishandling the McMichael case. In the filing, government lawyers argue that Johnson's legal challenge is untimely, that the evidence supporting Johnson's indictment was sufficient, and that there was no flaw in the oath administered to grand jury witnesses.

In the wake of McMichael's conviction in Arbery's death, the state has also filed a misconduct case against Johnson claiming that she obstructed law enforcement "by directing that Travis McMichael should not be placed under arrest, contrary to the laws of said State."

The McMichaels were arrested May 7, 2020 -- two days after video of the shooting surfaced -- and Bryan was taken into custody two weeks later.

A call log included in the state's response to the motion to dismiss shows 16 calls took place between McMichael and Johnson from February 23, the day of the shooting, to May 5, 2020, with the longest call taking place on April 30 and lasting 21 minutes and 4 seconds.

The court documents also show that McMichael left Johnson a message on the same day as Arbery's death in which he asks Johnson to call him back saying in part "my son and I have been involved in a shooting and I need some advice right away."

I included the first couple scrolls of the article above. TLDR: local yokels sat on the case and didn't plan to do shit until their hand was forced

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

She (Jackie Johnson) lost her re-election in 2020.  So what is the consequences of the criminal obstruction charge she is facing?

That is kind of missing from the story. 

According to the indictment handed down September 2, Johnson obstructed law enforcement "by directing that Travis McMichael should not be placed under arrest, contrary to the laws of said State."
The more serious count alleges Johnson violated her oath of office "by showing favor and affection to Greg McMichael during the investigation into the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery." The crime is a felony punishable up to five years in prison.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:
According to the indictment handed down September 2, Johnson obstructed law enforcement "by directing that Travis McMichael should not be placed under arrest, contrary to the laws of said State."
The more serious count alleges Johnson violated her oath of office "by showing favor and affection to Greg McMichael during the investigation into the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery." The crime is a felony punishable up to five years in prison.

I’d bet a beer, at least 50% of the state things they did nothing wrong 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Stupid hillbillies, all of them. Thank god they wanted to video the murder. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If they hadn’t filmed this they would all be free, which is incredibly sobering to think about. 

I hate a lot of things about smartphones, but I can forgive all of them, because smartphones seem to create a need in dumbasses to document their actions and share it with somebody else.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I hate a lot of things about smartphones, but I can forgive all of them, because smartphones seem to create a need in dumbasses to document their actions and share it with somebody else.

Well they think they are doing something good and just, and need to be commended via likes and comments. 

• 2 months later...

Father and son sentenced to life in prison for federal hate crimes in killing of Ahmaud Arbery

The father and son convicted of murdering Ahmaud Arbery were both sentenced to life in prison Monday on federal hate crime charges.

A judge also required that Travis McMichael, 36, and Greg McMichael, 66, serve their sentences in state prison, not federal prison as had been requested by their attorneys.

Before handing down the sentence to Travis McMichael, U.S. District Judge Lisa Godbey Wood said the younger McMichael had received a fair trial, “the kind of trial that Ahmaud Arbery did not receive before he was shot and killed.”

“You killed a man on Feb. 23, 2020. The events depicted in the video, they are seared in the annals of this court and no doubt in your mind forever,” she said.

Amy Lee Copeland, Travis McMichael’s attorney, had asked the judge to allow her client to serve his sentence in federal prison, saying he had received “hundreds of threats” and that he would probably be killed in state custody. A.J. Balbo, an attorney for Greg McMichael, told the judge he was medically "not fit" to serve his sentence in state prison.

Both Copeland and Balbo also said they were concerned about an investigation by the Department of Justice into inmate violence in the Georgia state prison system.

The prosecution and members of Arbery’s family asked that the McMichaels serve their sentences in state prison. 

A third man involved in the attack, William “Roddie” Bryan, 52, also is scheduled to be sentenced Monday.

Marcus Arbery, Ahmaud Arbery’s father, said ahead of the sentencing that “these three devils have broken my heart into pieces that cannot be found or repaired” and asked the court to give the stiffest sentence possible. 

“You killed him because he was a Black man and you hate Black people,” he said. 

Wanda Cooper-Jones, Ahmaud Arbery’s mother, said Travis McMichael “took my baby son.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I hope they have a very miserable life in prison. All 3 look like cock suckers, so maybe that’ll buy them some protection 

It would be nice if this would deter some assholes from confronting people like they did, but all it will do is make them turn off their cameras before they kill them.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be nice if this would deter some assholes from confronting people like they did, but all it will do is make them turn off their cameras before they kill them.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people like this

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

100% truth. If they didn’t video the whole deal, then brag about it, they’d be Scott free. 

Remember, they weee already on the path to  freedom with the first DA ….

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/jackie-johnson-ahmaud-arbery-prosecutor-charged-obstruction/

I still can't help but think the federal trial was gilding the lily, and a waste of resources.  And, it opened the remote possibility that they serve the sentence in federal prison, which would be more pleasant.

The Breonna Taylor deal is how the federal system should work:  miscarriage of justice at state level, boom federal charges instead.  Otherwise, leave it to the states.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I still can't help but think the federal trial was gilding the lily, and a waste of resources.  And, it opened the remote possibility that they serve the sentence in federal prison, which would be more pleasant.

The Breonna Taylor deal is how the federal system should work:  miscarriage of justice at state level, boom federal charges instead.  Otherwise, leave it to the states.

general prosecution goals: specific deterrence, general deterrence, punishment.  number 2 is big with well publicized trials of something that is a endemic ill.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Do we need a thread every time a white person kills an unarmed black person?  Or one every time a black person kills an unarmed white?  Or every time a black person kills an unarmed black person?  Or a white person kills an unarmed white?

If you’re outraged about a black person getting killed and the shooter not getting prosecuted, go check out what happens in New Orleans on a routine basis.  

We should immortalize posts like this for all eternity.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Went on a walk a few hours ago and they are building a few houses around us. My gf went and walked through 5 of them, I can imagine being killed for that shit. Man these dudes deserve the ultimate hell

We’ve done that many times, but we’re white.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

general prosecution goals: specific deterrence, general deterrence, punishment.  number 2 is big with well publicized trials of something that is a endemic ill.

Don't get me started on deterrence.

Besides, they got life sentences both times.  Twice the deterrence? Or 2 x 0 is still 0?

On 8/11/2022 at 11:09 PM, Brian Fantana said:

Why? Everyone here knows what @Johnny Sack is about. Not going to stop him from being who he is. The real issue is people like that raise children to mirror their thought processes. That's why we are still where we are in 22.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, Brian Fantana said:

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a single instance where a black man got off scot-free after killing an unarmed white (or black) person, then claiming self defense. I'm sure it's happened, but it's probably as rare as a unicorn sighting. Where are all of these instances of shooters not getting prosecuted in New Orleans?

These two dipshits would have walked without video (and almost did with it), as has been the reality for black men in our legal system for centuries. The reverse isn't true and has never been true.

Even for Johnny Sack's legendary standards, what a monumentally stupid, egregiously racist post. And it wasn't even deep enough in the thread to be dismissed as his usual low effort trolling. Nah, it's just who he is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

“If you’re outraged about a black person getting killed and the shooter not getting prosecuted, go check out what happens in New Orleans on a routine basis.”  - Sack of

I guess he missed where the civil rights division of the DOJ took over the NOPD after Katrina due to the rampant killing of black people and customary cover ups. 

I missed the story where are the local DAs we’re in constant communication with the admitted killers and failed to arrest them. Wait! Johnny compared favorable  treatment of known killers to a failure to solve unknown gang and drug murders.  Like Jesus taught.