Ex Blue Bell CEO charged with criminal conspiracy

SurlyBDR

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Don’t care.

I discovered Tillamook Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream. Better than any strawberry flavor BB or Creamy Creations have produced.

Yes, HEB carries it - at least they did last fall.

Oh, the Tillamook stuff is really good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Don’t care.

I discovered Tillamook Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream. Better than any strawberry flavor BB or Creamy Creations have produced.

Yes, I got some at Randall’s and it is by far the best strawberry ice cream I’ve ever had.

Guest Lobo

^
speaking of that, does anyone have a photo of the Adam's plant off IH-35 southbound on the way to san Marcos?  I guess it would be modern day Buda....I wanted to show a trucker friend of mine that facility.  From the old Austin archives I suppose...

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I'm not a big ice cream consumer. Didn't Adam's Extract get into the Ice Cream game? I bought some back around 2015 but don't go by that aisle very often. Are they still doing Ice Cream or no?

Yeah, I remember that.  I think was a store brand, which probably would have meant Randalls/Safeway/Tom Thumb for me.  I think it was mostly a licensing deal and using the flavors/extracts rather than Adams actually making ice cream.

Well, nope. It's advertised on the Adams' site, but an HEB exclusive, so it might be an HEB brand. https://adamsextract.com/InStores/productDetails.aspx?productID=65033&departmentName=In-Stores&productName=Adams-Ice-Cream

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can see Vanilla.......and it's glorious.  Anybody remember about what mile marker/exit is was at?  Have some rep

FM 1626 exit.  It was less than a mile from Crumley's Store that had the giant Christmas light display year round.  Crumley's is now a Planet K and the Adam's Extract property  is almost completely built out with various things.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 4

9 minutes ago, Felix said:

FM 1626 exit.  It was less than a mile from Crumley's Store that had the giant Christmas light display year round.  Crumley's is now a Planet K and the Adam's Extract property  is almost completely built out with various things.

This. There's a gas station mart thingy, a collision repair place and I think some new medical building.

When Blue Bell was pulled from the shelves, Adams and HEB hooked up to fill the void with trusted names. I liked the ice cream they put out. I guess the agreement was a short-term deal, as HEB hasn't offered the Adams ice cream in a while.

Blue Bell can go fuck themselves.

• Rage+1 1

This thread has taken a (couple) fascinating turns--I didn't know about the Austin connections for Adams, but after reading the posts was thinking that it reminded me of the the Mike Judge movie "Extract", and sure enough, that was part of the inspiration (apologies in advance if that was previously discussed on the old site). And ditto on Tillamook--haven't had their regular ice cream, but their ice cream sandwiches and cheeses are awesome.

Oh, and to stay on topic, for some unbeknownst reason randomly had some Blue Bell "homemade" vanilla in the freezer and made the mistake of eating some earlier this week--I promptly got sick and after throwing the rest of it out am now fully on board the "f those guys" bandwagon....

On 5/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, Armybrat said:

Don’t care.

Tillamook is good, but I've only seen it at my local Kroger, haven't seen it at HEB. They had this vanilla flavor that had bits of vanilla bean in it. Tasted great. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I'm not a big ice cream consumer. Didn't Adam's Extract get into the Ice Cream game? I bought some back around 2015 but don't go by that aisle very often. Are they still doing Ice Cream or no?

I've only seen vanilla lately and can't remember if I even saw any at all the last few times I went. The pecan pie flavor was amazing. 

The HEB locations near me carry Tillamook ice cream sandwiches, but not the ice cream. Any time I want to buy ice cream I stop by Kroger because they carry Tillamook. I'll never go back to blue bell, the marionberry pie flavor is fucking awesome.

• 3 months later...

https://abc13.com/blue-bell-listeria-outbreak-ceo-of-ice-cream/6430314/

Blue Bell Creameries will have to pay $17.25 million as a criminal penalty stemming from their role in a 2015 listeria outbreak that killed three people.

The fine and forefeiture amount is the largest-ever criminal penalty following a conviction in a food safety case, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Have to wonder if there is some wink wink deal here about paying a large fine will led to eventual reduced charges against the former CEO, who is in the family that owns Blue Bell.

in the pandemic I’ve started chowing down on some ice cream. Surprisingly haven’t gained much weight. But I refuse to buy blue bell.

• 1 year later...

Yikes.

Prosecutors have the option to pursue a new trial against Kruse, but a spokesperson on Monday declined to say whether they would. Of the 12-person jury, 10 jurors voted for a not guilty verdict, said Kruse's defense attorney Chris Flood.

I got the definite sense from that article that the prosecution brought the case because the statute of limitations was expiring, not because it was a particularly good case, or ready for trial.

• Hook 'Em 1