Moody Center

cdain3

So now that they're splitting the football and bball donations, does that mean you still have to donate the same amount to keep your football tickets but have to add a new donation to get bball tickets? Or will the required football donation be reduced to account for splitting out bball?

Assuming the former, sucks for those of us who have loyally supported/attended both for decades and made a donation intended for both.

5 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

So now that they're splitting the football and bball donations, does that mean you still have to donate the same amount to keep your football tickets but have to add a new donation to get bball tickets? Or will the required football donation be reduced to account for splitting out bball?

Assuming the former, sucks for those of us who have loyally supported/attended both for decades and made a donation intended for both.

It's all market based. If football donations go down because people are shifting more of their donation to basketball, then your football donation will go down.

The assumption is that donations have been to acquire football tickets. Now there's an additional donation to acquire premium seating for men's basketball tickets. It sucks for people like you. But the down side to not doing it this way has been years of season tickets being purchased because after the initial cost of making the donation for suites or club level seats for football, purchasing season tickets for basketball was chump change. It meant a lot of tickets not getting used, or situations like the Tech game where the opposing fan comes in and buys those tickets so the season ticket holders can get some of their money back.

Changing the system incentivizes the people who make the donation for season tickets, then purchase the season tickets, to actually use the season tickets. That's what they're trying to move to.

While I'm not personally responsible, I am sorry this is going to affect you in an adverse way. If I could somehow make it possible for all the loyal fans to be rewarded for their steadfast support, I would. Since I'm a nobody who posts on a message board, I can say I'm sincerely happy they're making this change. It's been a long time coming. I feel like it's going to help make a huge difference in actual attendance at the games.

• Hook 'Em 2

In the same boat where our donation is based on football but we have very rarely left our basketball seats unused.

Now our question is, are sideline seats and club access worth $1800 a year to us compared to just going with the $250 level. We’re high enough in loyalty points rank that we should be able to get almost any seats we want at the $250 donation level.

Met with a guy from LHF a month ago and he said there would be an in-person seat selection opportunity so hopefully we can get a good look at the seats and view before deciding.

8 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It's all market based. If football donations go down because people are shifting more of their donation to basketball, then your football donation will go down.

The assumption is that donations have been to acquire football tickets. Now there's an additional donation to acquire premium seating for men's basketball tickets. It sucks for people like you. But the down side to not doing it this way has been years of season tickets being purchased because after the initial cost of making the donation for suites or club level seats for football, purchasing season tickets for basketball was chump change. It meant a lot of tickets not getting used, or situations like the Tech game where the opposing fan comes in and buys those tickets so the season ticket holders can get some of their money back.

Changing the system incentivizes the people who make the donation for season tickets, then purchase the season tickets, to actually use the season tickets. That's what they're trying to move to.

While I'm not personally responsible, I am sorry this is going to affect you in an adverse way. If I could somehow make it possible for all the loyal fans to be rewarded for their steadfast support, I would. Since I'm a nobody who posts on a message board, I can say I'm sincerely happy they're making this change. It's been a long time coming. I feel like it's going to help make a huge difference in actual attendance at the games.

They priced half the arena as "premium".  $2300 a seat for 18 games in the top rows of the arena? Those will end up being $10 a game like they are now. Even $750 a seat for baseline upper level is $40/game (granted upper level will be way different than FEC). Why do season ticket holders have to pay more than those that buy individual...that's fucked up.  The idea that this allows passionate fans to buy basketball tickets is not going to work...the passionate fans can't drop $2300 a seat to fill the middle sections.

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

They priced half the arena as "premium".  $2300 a seat for 18 games in the top rows of the arena? Those will end up being $10 a game like they are now. Even $750 a seat for baseline upper level is $40/game (granted upper level will be way different than FEC). Why do season ticket holders have to pay more than those that buy individual...that's fucked up.  The idea that this allows passionate fans to buy basketball tickets is not going to work...the passionate fans can't drop $2300 a seat to fill the middle sections.

We’ll see how sales go. Those numbers aren’t written in stone. If they aren’t selling tickets, they’ll drop. 

I don’t have any insight regarding how they came up with their numbers. Surely they didn’t pull them out of thin air. I wonder what they used for comparables. 

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We’ll see how sales go. Those numbers aren’t written in stone. If they aren’t selling tickets, they’ll drop. 

I don’t have any insight regarding how they came up with their numbers. Surely they didn’t pull them out of thin air. I wonder what they used for comparables. 

This.  They learned their lesson with the SEZ but unfortunately, between Covid and the 2-year lock in on pricing...they can't change anything there until after the 2022 season.  Plus at that point the SEC opponent list may change things even more.  They are also still working hard to figure out how to mesh a "seasonal" package where you can take on a basketball mini-plan with a concert mini-plan that would start in September (live music) and continue through hoops season and end in May-ish (live music).  And you can sort of plug n' play with good seats that weren't fully committed to basketball.  Obviously basketball has to be first because of the lead time on schedule, and then you can populate with pick 'n choose concerts.  Live Nation thinks it could really change things up for venues that are good at selling out a few things, but not great and have the capability to fill out every single night of production if done properly between sports, live music, and family events.  They fucking have to actually, to justify the cost of the arena and others like it around the country and the money they lost the last 2 years.

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Not sure but I think there's an upper deck that isn't shown on that map, so those are all lower level. But either way agree with your point - $2300 for top of the lower level isn't gonna hold up

11 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah I get the reason for separating football and agree that it's a good idea for the reasons you outlined. Just Seems like there could've been a middle ground where they still split the donations but set individual prices for bball based on your length of support or something, instead of just saying "here's the price for everyone, deal with it." Like give x% discount at whichever ticket level you choose based on your years of bball ticketholding. 

Here the other annoying part  - someone who jumped on the football train 5 years ago might have already built up more "loyalty points" than a 30 year bball ticket holder bc it's all based on money. Up until now, the bball guy has held onto their tickets bc of actual loyalty. Now, that football guy can just throw in an extra $2300 (still chump change for a lot of those dudes) and immediately leapfrog the bball guy. 

3/4ths students is also a surprising move. Great for the atmosphere but very un-UT passing up all that money

13 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That's my favorite part. It's going to be a rowdy place to visit.

It's not going to hurt things.

Despite the loss last night it's so good to see the students now engaged and with the new venue that's only going to carry over exponentially. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah I get the reason for separating football and agree that it's a good idea for the reasons you outlined. Just Seems like there could've been a middle ground where they still split the donations but set individual prices for bball based on your length of support or something, instead of just saying "here's the price for everyone, deal with it." Like give x% discount at whichever ticket level you choose based on your years of bball ticketholding. 

Here the other annoying part  - someone who jumped on the football train 5 years ago might have already built up more "loyalty points" than a 30 year bball ticket holder bc it's all based on money. Up until now, the bball guy has held onto their tickets bc of actual loyalty. Now, that football guy can just throw in an extra $2300 (still chump change for a lot of those dudes) and immediately leapfrog the bball guy. 

3/4ths students is also a surprising move. Great for the atmosphere but very un-UT passing up all that money

I do feel like you’re getting the shaft. I hope it ends up being a good situation for you in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Not sure but I think there's an upper deck that isn't shown on that map, so those are all lower level. But either way agree with your point - $2300 for top of the lower level isn't gonna hold up

My understanding from a while ago is that the upper deck will not be used for basketball, only concerts. 
I guess if demand is there, they can open that up but that’s not how I interpreted previous media releases. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My understanding from a while ago is that the upper deck will not be used for basketball, only concerts. 
I guess if demand is there, they can open that up but that’s not how I interpreted previous media releases. 

I suppose that is correct. I was thinking there were 3 levels total but the middle one here looks like club/suites.

EeIopCpX0AEqO18.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Like the seat fairy came down and granted everyone tickets.  That cash is more automatic than any seat in the arena.

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

I suppose that is correct. I was thinking there were 3 levels total but the middle one here looks like club/suites.

EeIopCpX0AEqO18.jpeg

Yes the initial plan was to curtain off the upper level for basketball. I hope hiding the upper deck looks as good in real life as it does that rendering.  Looks way better than draping a curtain from the rafters.

here’s a rendering with the full concert setup
88601AAE-DFD0-43C2-B6F3-EF2B58C565D9.thumb.jpeg.246e1b0177a42d2e2ad364bc901e6155.jpeg

Actual view of the interior:

1CA3F3A3-F143-42FE-A985-01FB301B1664.thumb.jpeg.beaee87b71e924db1d62cb86c2fea0d3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Yes the initial plan was to curtain off the upper level for basketball. I hope hiding the upper deck looks as good in real life as it does that rendering.  Looks way better than draping a curtain from the rafters.

here’s a rendering with the full concert setup
88601AAE-DFD0-43C2-B6F3-EF2B58C565D9.thumb.jpeg.246e1b0177a42d2e2ad364bc901e6155.jpeg

Actual view of the interior:

1CA3F3A3-F143-42FE-A985-01FB301B1664.thumb.jpeg.beaee87b71e924db1d62cb86c2fea0d3.jpeg

Still looks like shitty acoustics for music.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I had no idea our cozy 10k arena actually has a bunch more seats that we're going to be covering up. That seems... odd. What's the total with those seats included?

From the FAQ page on the Moody Center website:

"Moody Center is a 15,000+ seat venue with the largest event floor in the nation which will allow for a more intimate experience for spectators closest to the stage. 

Moody Center has the capability to be transformed into a 10,000-seat venue for basketball games, providing the opportunity for Longhorns fans and students to feel a part of the game."

I don't know how hard it would be to make it 15k seating for a basketball game. 

They actually accepted what previous Athletic Department administrations would not...1/3rd of our season is played when students are not on campus and those seats need to be able to "flex" to accommodate Austin residents who want to attend games between Thanksgiving and MLK Day.  Or have those seats "shut off" if they can't be filled.  Kids stay on campus over holidays and January break at Kansas and Duke just so they can attend home games.  That's not the case at UT-Austin, they scatted to Houston, DFW, and points beyond.  That will always be the case.  Even the few thousand that stay behind due to the distant/expensive travel in that time of year, don't attend hoops games and never will.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

I feel like pics of the Moody Center have really dried up. Probably on purpose. They're seemingly trying to make the big reveal as surprising as possible.

actually it's because it's woefully behind schedule.  It'll be ADA Compliant and the seats will be there, but they're not gonna have the concourses, premium seating areas, concessions, some of the bathrooms, and much of the exterior finish-out complete within the next few weeks.  It's okay, it'll be fine.  It'll be awesome in a couple months.  But don't expect the 'Full Monty' in a couple weeks.  

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

actually it's because it's woefully behind schedule. 

On one hand "woefully behind schedule" on a high-profile building that is attached to UT makes zero sense. But anything being built right now seems to be properly fucked with supplies, contractors and more supplies.

The Vatican is struggling to get renovations done. Shouldn't surprise that Moody is trying to get its project done on time.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

On one hand "woefully behind schedule" on a high-profile building that is attached to UT makes zero sense. But anything being built right now seems to be properly fucked with supplies, contractors and more supplies.

The Vatican is struggling to get renovations done. Shouldn't surprise that Moody is trying to get its project done on time.

UT doesn't own the Moody Center.  We're just a priority tenant. 

It was largely a miracle (more thanks to the threat of liquidated damages) that the SEZ was done on time.  That contract was directly with UT and the contractors and vendors in no way wanted to tangle with UT about finishing a high profile construction project late.  OVG - not so much.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

It was largely a miracle (more thanks to the threat of liquidated damages) that the SEZ was done on time.  That contract was directly with UT and the contractors and vendors in no way wanted to tangle with UT about finishing a high profile construction project late.  OVG - not so much.

UT, however, owns the land under the arena and will be the owner of the building. Under the terms of the agreement, the university will have exclusive control of the arena for 60 days each year to hold men's and women's basketball games, graduations, and other events.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Right, that's why I said "attached". But that still means a very vested interest in completion of the thing, timely and as planned.

What did the $130 million donation from the Moody Foundation cover? I obviously don't know the ins/outs of arena financing, but on the surface it appears strange to me for foundation to use its money to support a for-profit arena that's not owned by the University.

Yeah, on top of FEC footprint is an expansion of the Medical School, or the "Innovation District", if you will.  It'll eventually run from MLK on both sides of "new-ish" Red River down to 15th Street.  You can already see the two PPP towers being erected just south of there.  And yes, I used Erect, South, but not Austin's Mom.  Carry on.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

UT, however, owns the land under the arena and will be the owner of the building. Under the terms of the agreement, the university will have exclusive control of the arena for 60 days each year to hold men's and women's basketball games, graduations, and other events.

jimmy-butler-yeah-right.gif