Moody Center

cdain3

Well it's  not  so much about "inside connections"...it's a literal active construction site on public land.  This isn't the Jersey Esplanade, you can't muscle your way there.  I don't see it being publicly accessible for at least 60 days.  But should be fantastic.  

• 1 month later...

Well first game was a pretty good crowd, maybe 8-9k. As of now I'm glad I declined the option for Trinity garage parking. The line to get into that thing was all the way to the 15th st left turn on Trinity. I managed to park right by front door of Scholz but won't always be that lucky.  Unless you're in Manor garage, all parking is at least twice as far away as FEC.  No big deal, yet.

Getting in was much quicker that FEC, plenty of gates/scanners.  Not much line for the pisser at half. Beer lines were super short, well probably because the beer selection/price is absolute dog shit. The Budweiser partnership is showing up full force. Only reasonably priced beer is bud products. For the $6 craft beer during 'happy hour', the only choice was Love Street.  Want a stash IPA or a jelly fish?....$14.50 and $19.50.  Hey but you bud light and ultra fans can get your $5 beer before the game.

And much like the bitching in the football experience thread, it's full on NBA atmosphere with LOUD music at every opportunity. Basketball viewing wise, it's awesome and so glad not to be in FEC anymore so I'll end on that positive.

Students seemed to like it...way more showed up than seats allocated on the floor. Ushers were working to keep the extras from crowding in and many did go to standing room in the south upper deck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Well first game was a pretty good crowd, maybe 8-9k. As of now I'm glad I declined the option for Trinity garage parking. The line to get into that thing was all the way to the 15th st left turn on Trinity. I managed to park right by front door of Scholz but won't always be that lucky.  Unless you're in Manor garage, all parking is at least twice as far away as FEC.  No big deal, yet.

For the Arkansas scrimmage I parked over by Disch-Falk. Five minute walk. 

This is such a nice arena. Texas basketball is one thing but this is going to further establish Austin's place on the map. This entire thing is fucking masterful. I'm not going to have claimed to have been to every arena in the US but this is far and away the nicest facility I've ever been to. 

Beard is going to win multiple national titles here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing it'll depend on the tipoff time, in terms of price.  If it's an afternoon game for television purposes, cheaper tickets and better to take kids.  why the fuck they haven't announced that tipoff time considering there's no bowl game possibilities for us that day and nothing else going on in Texas Athletics and that we own our own fucking TV station is fucking beyond me.  But despite CDC, Bellmont is still not without its own incompetence.  Same with OU on New Year's Eve.  Apparently one of us is gonna sneak into the CFP Semifinals so they don't want fans conflicted on attending hoops in person when there's postseason football action that night.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

It's 95% done.  They're just finishing up the walkways, paseos, and landscaping on the north side.  They really won't let anybody in right now though during season, hard to tell who is a spy for Tech or Kansas.  I'm sure there'll be tours available come April.  It's basically just courts and offices, nothing terribly exciting.  A lot like Cooley Pavilion.  Supposedly a really cool training/rehab facility in there somewhere, that would be neat to see.  Not sure what's on the bottom level, there's a gate and security but all the coach parking is surface lot to the south.  I guess we should wander down there at some point and see.  

• 3 weeks later...

Seemed like a great crowd last night. Amazing under the circumstances. 

I can accept basically not being able to afford to watch Texas play outside of when the students are off campus in December and early January if we continue to get this kind of homecourt advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Music is usually very loud at Moody, but last night it seemed to be turned up an extra level.

Yep, they dialed it back a little after the first few games (likely received many complaints), but last night was back to 11.  Can't even shout at the person next to you. 

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

Yep, they dialed it back a little after the first few games (likely received many complaints), but last night was back to 11.  Can't even shout at the person next to you. 

You could hear it after each commercial break, I thought I was going to go deaf.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Seemed like a great crowd last night. Amazing under the circumstances. 

I can accept basically not being able to afford to watch Texas play outside of when the students are off campus in December and early January if we continue to get this kind of homecourt advantage.

Agree. Very impressed with the energy from the crowd. No doubt the team fed off of it last night.

• 4 weeks later...

Moody Center's part owner, Live Nation, who is Pollstar's largest client receives award from Pollstar?  shocked I tell you ;)  

Only been to games there, but it is a great venue.  Looking forward to a concert there soon.  i still wanna know what goes in that secret third level to the West.  

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

Went to Cody Johnson last night and I sat in the upper deck (wife's work deal).  The sound was atrocious.  Terrible.

If I had paid for the tickets I would want my money back.

Well I do not know who Cody Johnson is but he and his crew must suck because I went to Springsteen and sat in the top deck 10 rows from the top in the back which was about as far away from the stage as you can be and the sound was great.

• Like 1

Well I do not know who Cody Johnson is but he and his crew must suck because I went to Springsteen and sat in the top deck 10 rows from the top in the back which was about as far away from the stage as you can be and the sound was great.

This is my take - I have seen several shows from the top and have found that the sound was great for acts that had their shit together and poor from acts that should have hung it up a long time ago or shouldn’t be playing a venue that big

18 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

This is my take - I have seen several shows from the top and have found that the sound was great for acts that had their shit together and poor from acts that should have hung it up a long time ago or shouldn’t be playing a venue that big

Yeah, this is what the C3 folks have said.  In a rush to just have lots of nights of programming in the first couple years, combined with wanting some of the acts they (and livenation) manage to play bigger venues to "groom them"...they booked some acts that probably shouldn't be indoor venues that big.  On top of that, as you say---the production and engineering teams don't necessarily know how to setup for a place like Moody.  It's not like the ACL Live venue which in addition to being smaller, is much more vertical than Moody.  I suspect like most large city's flagship indoor venues, it'll take them a few years to find a good balance of mid-sized to large acts.  Plus, I'm curious to see how this thing gets used in the Summer going forward.  

In the end, it seems like Livenation/Ticketmaster was over-booking Moody to show off their shiny new toy, to showcase smaller bands in their farm system, and the other honest secret---they want to recoup as much of their expense on the buildout sooner rather than later.  If that means half of us scratching our heads asking "Who the fuck is that?", they'll take it so long as the folks that do show up buy parking and beer.  

• 1 month later...

Not my scene but was curious how Moody looked for CMT awards. Don’t even recognize it. The folks behind it deserve a lot of credit. Pretty amazing we got a great basketball arena and a top notch facility that can host a televised event like that all in one.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Classic Rock said:

Wonder if they will put Erwin Center seats up for sale, similar to when Texas Stadium was torn down?

They will, with the stipulation that you keep them no closer than 150 feet from their optimal location…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• 10 months later...