The Napa / Sonoma Wine thread

PorscheGuy

Focused thread of California wines. Wine, trips, tips or recommendations go here. Show off your good stuff or recommend a daily drinker here.

Just went for the first time in February. Great time. Stayed in Yountville. Drank and ate for four glorious days and learned a ton. It can be a little intimidating planning, but once you get through the first day and see how it works you can relax and enjoy.

30d7346d250590bee787500a104f963e.jpg

What’s left of what we brought back and our first shipment

By far, the 2014 Odette cab is the best wine I have ever had. It’s outstanding. Great tour, and all their wines are top notch. They also do appellation, Cade and plumpjack. Just went to their 2015 release event in Dallas last week and the 2015 Odette and Cade are very very good. Still prefer the Odette.

Barnett Rattlesnake Hill is another really good one. Best view in Napa valley.

Anderson’s conn valley is good, has some cool history and a small cult following.

Schramsberg is a must stop. Good sparking and decent cab

Far Niete and Frank family are good and can find them at H-E-B. Frank family reserve Chardonnay was a standout for me and I don’t like many white wines.

Shafer was actually disappointing. Great vineyard, but thought their wines were way over hyped and equally over priced.

Since our trip my new everyday is Conundrum by Wagner/caymus. I always have a bottle or two of caymus in the wine fridge along with Jordan.

Still a fan of Orwin Swift, even after he sold out to one of the big boys. Abstract is a nice weekend wine as well as prisoner. Keeping one of his original papillon for the right night too.

Favorite $20 red is Boogle Phantom along with Edge from Silverado trail in Napa.

Always looking for more to add more to the arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where did you stay in Yountville?  We went out a couple months ago and stayed at the Bardessono.  Didn't make it to any of the wineries you mentioned with the exception of Caymus.  My favorite winery was Reverie.  They are relatively small, but have great wines.  I usually can't stand most white wines but they have a Roussane/Marsanne that is fantastic.

In addition to the Caymus cab, I was really impressed with the Conundrum sparkling rose.  That is a great everyday drinker, along with Abstract.  It's hard to justify opening an $80-100 bottle of wine on Tuesday night.  Meomi Pinot Noir is a good one in the $20 range.

going to Cali for 4 quick days in May.   Unfortunately, we are going with another couple and I let them influence our plans.  so, like dumbasses, we are spending 2 nights in Healdsburg and then driving our ass over to Plymouth Valley area (Amador County/El Dorado).  Now I'm excited to try some wines over there, but damn spending half a day driving is a beating.

anyway, got reservations at Limerick Lane and Ceritas for first part of journey.   Both will be new visits to me although I'm familiar a little bit with their wines.  Really pumped about Ceritas, although my budget is somewhat limited so I won't be able to go crazy there.  Also going to go by Idlewild cause they make some interesting wines.  Have one afternoon still open so waiting to hear back on a couple of places I've called.  Anthill Farms already shot me down, so we'll see what happens.

As to the second part of the journey in El Dorado, Skinner for sure and probably Turley, too.   Likely hit a few no-name places just to see what kind of juice they are producing on the estates out there.   

On 4/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, Chewbacca said:

In addition to the Caymus cab, I was really impressed with the Conundrum sparkling rose.  That is a great everyday drinker, along with Abstract.  It's hard to justify opening an $80-100 bottle of wine on Tuesday night.  Meomi Pinot Noir is a good one in the $20 range.

Get a Coravin.  I can have a glass of nice wine when I want and it will remain as though I didn't open the bottle.  I've had bottles that I tapped stay good for months (I haven't let many go too much longer than that).

Last time we went to Napa (about year ago) we only went to three vineyards.  We started at Fantesca (Heidi Barret's place), then went to Anomaly.  We were Berringer wine club at the time (I like some of their bigger cabs) so we stopped in there and took in the commercial touristy goodness.  We ended up coming home with:

3 Anomaly 2014
2 Anomaly 2013
1 Anomaly 2011
2 King Richards Reserve Pinot (Fantesca)
2 Fantesca Chardonnay
2 Chiarello 2013 Zin
2 Chiarello 2014 Cab

We also ended up on a list to receive more wine the following fall from Fantesca and Anomaly.   The Fantesca cab is incredible, and their blend All Great Things is also phenomenal.  Heidi also produces her own label Amuse Bouche which is quite good.  http://www.amusebouchewine.com/index.php

Next time we make it out that way we'll spend some time in Sonoma since we've never been there.  I know Napa is crowded and touristy, but Goddamn if they don't grow some kick-ass cab.

Edited by Jimbaround

Where did you stay in Yountville?  We went out a couple months ago and stayed at the Bardessono.  Didn't make it to any of the wineries you mentioned with the exception of Caymus.  My favorite winery was Reverie.  They are relatively small, but have great wines.  I usually can't stand most white wines but they have a Roussane/Marsanne that is fantastic.

Stayed at the Vintage House is Yountville. Perfect location. Everything newly remodeled. Very happy with it and will return.

I got a list of vineyards from a friend that travels there extensively and has an insane collection. I researched them and picked them ones that fit my budget and what I wanted to accomplish.

Most of the vineyards we visited I had not heard of and were small, had great tours and fun employees that really knew how to enhance the experience. We walked out of Hall tour. It was a shit show. Hundreds of people waiting and walking around. On all others it was just us or no more then 8-10 people.

Also helped to literally map it out and try to reserve tours close to each other so you are not wasting hours driving between.

By far the top three were

1. Odette. (Includes Cade, Plumpjack, and adaptation)
2. Schramsburg. Sparkling
3. Barnette food wine, great views
With frank family a close fourth. (Do the private reserve tasting, worth the extra $) solid wines

Let me know if you need any more suggestions.

17 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Last time we went to Napa (about year ago) we only went to three vineyards.  We started at Fantesca (Heidi Barret's place), then went to Anomaly.  We were Berringer wine club at the time (I like some of their bigger cabs) so we stopped in there and took in the commercial touristy goodness.  We ended up coming home with:

3 Anomaly 2014
2 Anomaly 2013
1 Anomaly 2011
2 King Richards Reserve Pinot (Fantesca)
2 Fantesca Chardonnay
2 Chiarello 2013 Zin
2 Chiarello 2014 Cab

We also ended up on a list to receive more wine the following fall from Fantesca and Anomaly.   The Fantesca cab is incredible, and their blend All Great Things is also phenomenal.  Heidi also produces her own label Amuse Bouche which is quite good.  http://www.amusebouchewine.com/index.php

Next time we make it out that way we'll spend some time in Sonoma since we've never been there.  I know Napa is crowded and touristy, but Goddamn if they don't grow some kick-ass cab.

How'd you get Fantesca to respond to you? Know someone? Last couple of times I went up there, I reached out to them by email to arrange a visit and got radio silence. Might have called and left a message last time, but I don't specifically remember.

4 hours ago, SmartAsset said:

How'd you get Fantesca to respond to you? Know someone? Last couple of times I went up there, I reached out to them by email to arrange a visit and got radio silence. Might have called and left a message last time, but I don't specifically remember.

My wife's uncle is a big buyer and knows the owners and they set us up.  To be honest, I had no clue how hard it was to get in when we went.  We were going to drop the regular shipments because it is $1,000 every time they send us wine, but her uncle told us that if we drop off we'll never get back on.  If you want some we are usually buying less than our allotment and I'm sure we could buy some on your behalf (assuming you're in Houston).

Stopped by Odette yesterday based on the rec here and all their offerings were great. We arrived about 20 mins early so they poured us the cade sav blanc from the bar and directed us to the patio over looking their vineyard, the weather was a bit warm and that sav went down way too easy, next thing I know Im being poured a plump jack chardonnay. Buttery rich great flavor IMO, I'm not a big white wine guy but both of those were fantastic.

The other parties arrived and tour began, it was a short tour of their fermentation room and a history of the ownership and how self sufficient and "green" the winery is. A glass of the 2015 adaptation was poured, funny how the host explained that this is their everyday wine, something you'd drink on a Tuesday at close to $60 a bottle

To the tasting

kYS3bM40_o.jpg

I agree with above, the 2014 was my favorite, though most at the table and our host ranked the 15 as their favorite of the group. I bought 2 of everything we tasted including the sav and chardonnay, nice little addition.

• Like 1

Headed back to Napa tomorrow for our annual trek. Our wine club memberships are getting out of hand. Anyone tried/belong to Aonair?  Hands down my favorite. Grant knows how to make wine (and beer)  

Current Clubs:

Aonair

Haber

Amizetta

Gargiulo

Bremer

Trespass

Sabina

V Madrone

yeah, I like me some Howell Mountain. 

For those looking to stock up on Cabs, HEB runs a 20% off sale on Father's Day weekend and just before Christmas.  In the past I've been able to add on the 10% discount for 6+ bottles as well. 

Their prices in Houston are normally competitive with Total Wine / Costco and better than Specs. However, this is only available when HEB is open. 

17 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Headed back to Napa tomorrow for our annual trek. Our wine club memberships are getting out of hand. Anyone tried/belong to Aonair?  Hands down my favorite. Grant knows how to make wine (and beer)  

Current Clubs:

Aonair

Haber

Amizetta

Gargiulo

Bremer

Trespass

Sabina

V Madrone

We visited Aonair in February but did not join the club.  Liked their wines, but did not love them.  They also own Reverie, which was our favorite out there.  We did join that club.  Love the setting of that winery, though.  And those chairs made from the wine barrels out on the balcony are amazing.  They sell them, but they won't deliver them to your house, you have to have it delivered to somewhere with a commercial loading dock and then you have to transport it from there.

I love Grant Jr's bourbon collection, though.  That is impressive.  Pretty sure Grant Sr. is full of shit,  too.  Jr. was sick the day we visited, so Sr. did our tour.  He likes to talk about  how he started EDS with Ross Perot and that he's a billionaire and has more money than he knows what to do with, but the internet cannot find any mention of him.  Sure, he's clearly got some money to  have Aonair and the other wineries they own, but I don't think he's anywhere near a billionaire.  The billionaires I have known would never tell you how much money they have.  

Edited by Chewbacca

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

We visited Aonair in February but did not join the club.  Liked their wines, but did not love them.  They also own Reverie, which was our favorite out there.  We did join that club.  Love the setting of that winery, though.  And those chairs made from the wine barrels out on the balcony are amazing.  They sell them, but they won't deliver them to your house, you have to have it delivered to somewhere with a commercial loading dock and then you have to transport it from there.

I love Grant Jr's bourbon collection, though.  That is impressive.  Pretty sure Grant Sr. is full of shit,  too.  Jr. was sick the day we visited, so Sr. did our tour.  He likes to talk about  how he started EDS with Ross Perot and that he's a billionaire and has more money than he knows what to do with, but the internet cannot find any mention of him.  Sure, he's clearly got some money to  have Aonair and the other wineries they own, but I don't think he's anywhere near a billionaire.  The billionaires I have known would never tell you how much money they have.  

Truth on Sr. Truth. 

21 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Current Clubs:

Aonair

Haber

Amizetta

Gargiulo

Bremer

Trespass

Sabina

V Madrone

Other than Bremer, none of those are familiar to me, so kudos to you.  love supporting the smaller production places.

Didn’t pick this time, as it wasn’t my affair.  We hit up:

J. Gregory (tasting over dinner)

Ehlers

Larkmead (again)

Del Dotto (new member, damn me - The Beast got me)

Schramsberg (again)

Spottswoode

Edited by Bert Orange

• 3 weeks later...

33be201f5267df7bb07710f24c47f377.jpg

Has anyone had this one? Spent some time at Total Wine in Dallas for the first time. Their wine expert was pushing this one hard after I was showing him what we had in stock and what we like. I was just not up to a $129.99 miss.

It ranks high on line and on the Vivino app, but I have never heard of it.

Cheers

On 5/17/2018 at 9:21 PM, PorscheGuy said:

33be201f5267df7bb07710f24c47f377.jpg

Has anyone had this one? Spent some time at Total Wine in Dallas for the first time. Their wine expert was pushing this one hard after I was showing him what we had in stock and what we like. I was just not up to a $129.99 miss.

It ranks high on line and on the Vivino app, but I have never heard of it.

Cheers

Moone  Tsai makes very nice cabs.  Relatively small production (3000-ish cases combined for their wines).  Worth the $$

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Four Days in the Valley

Thursday:  got there about noon.  Lunch  at Addendum (fried chicken, of course).  Tour and tasting at MacDonald (very small To-Kalon vineyard).  Grower's Happy Hour (hours, actually) at Farmstead with lots of wine brought in by several folks)

Friday:  Notre Vin tasting with May-Britt Malbec.  Lunch at Gott's.  Tasting at Memento Mori (along with a couple of others at the tasting room -- including Shibumi Knoll).  Private party at Revana.  Dinner at Market.

Saturday:  Spring Release Party/lunch at Krupp Brothers.  Happy hour at Farmstead, dinner at Goose & Gander

Sunday:  Tour and tasting at Seven Stones.  Lunch at Tre Vigne Pizzeria.  Tour and Tasting at Brand (which also included Immortal, the new project by the Tusk guys, and Benediction).  Dinner at Brasswood.

Home Monday, unfortunately...

On 6/5/2018 at 11:26 AM, AustinMT said:

Just back from Four Days in the Valley

Thursday:  got there about noon.  Lunch  at Addendum (fried chicken, of course).  Tour and tasting at MacDonald (very small To-Kalon vineyard).  Grower's Happy Hour (hours, actually) at Farmstead with lots of wine brought in by several folks)

Friday:  Notre Vin tasting with May-Britt Malbec.  Lunch at Gott's.  Tasting at Memento Mori (along with a couple of others at the tasting room -- including Shibumi Knoll).  Private party at Revana.  Dinner at Market.

Saturday:  Spring Release Party/lunch at Krupp Brothers.  Happy hour at Farmstead, dinner at Goose & Gander

Sunday:  Tour and tasting at Seven Stones.  Lunch at Tre Vigne Pizzeria.  Tour and Tasting at Brand (which also included Immortal, the new project by the Tusk guys, and Benediction).  Dinner at Brasswood.

Home Monday, unfortunately...

That's some baller shit right there.  MacDonald, Seven Stones and Notre Vin are definitely solid Napa wines I've liked in limited tastings/drinking.   Big ass cab trip

20 hours ago, bularry1 said:

That's some baller shit right there.  MacDonald, Seven Stones and Notre Vin are definitely solid Napa wines I've liked in limited tastings/drinking.   Big ass cab trip

We're lucky to have friends who have been going up there several times a year for the past few years, and buy/collect a lot of wine so they are pretty tied-in. Went up with the last year as well, and hit several other small-production places (Harris, Jericho Canyon, Herb Lamb, Wicker, Perliss, etc.).  All great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished a quick Napa trip. Thank you for the Odette and Barnett recommendations. The Barnett Rattlesnake is awesome and that tasting up on the mountain is one of the better ones.

We stayed at Hotel Yountville. It’s a nice place and we really enjoy staying there.

We hit Bottega and French Laundry for food. It was our second trip to FL and we probably won’t go back. Hard to recreate that first experience. There were still amazing dishes, but a couple of misses as well.

e98b35198d326134be60299eb89a55de.jpg

7749bec2c1bd658a0529034ab5418f0e.jpg

• Like 1

I used to live in sanfran and work in Napa.  Here are some recommendations:

1. Vincent Arroyo in calistoga.  Probably 8k cases a year.  Sells on futures to wine club only.  Great people who will give you a tour at a moment's notice.  If vincent is around then he will probably open a library wine if you ask him.  I suggest you say something like "so where do you keep the realllly good stuff?"  I'd only ask this if you are with David Moye or Vince's daughter (or vince himself).  Entrada is my favorite wine here but he is known for his petite syrahs.  If you ever see a bottle of his 2003 winemaker's reserve cab I suggest you drink it.  That is the best wine I have ever had in my life.

2. Zhatilla - also in calistoga.  Laura Zhatilla really likes her wine, especially after calistoga started becoming more popular.  She has a damn good Zin.

3. Conn Creek - In St. Helena off the silverado trail.  They have a winemaking class they teach where they have 15 barrels of cab sav and 5 barrels of mixing grapes (franc, merlot, malbec, and 2 others I can't remember).  First you have a glass of white wine while they tell you the agenda.  Then you taste every single wine from the barrel.  Then you mix your own wine and leave with a bottle you cork yourself.  Costs somehting like $190 a person but only takes about an hour or two and gets you thoroughly slammed.  Plus you have your own bottle of win. 

4. If you really want something off the beaten path look up tolfanelli.  That crazy fuck has been around napa forever.  He's got a couple acres and uses other winemaker's supplies to make his own shit.  Call him up, make an appointment for the morning. He'll meet you on the side of the road in his shitty ass red pickup with his golden retreiver in the back.  You'll walk his fields for about 30-45 minutes where he only grows red Zin and charbono.  He'll teach you to splice vines and you'll eat grapes off the vine while having a glass of zin or charbono.  Then you walk back to the truck and you buy what you want.  No one in napa outside of Vincent Arroyo will do that for you.  No one.  Charbono is a very dark grape so more than a glass and your entire mouth is purple.  Be warned.

4. Mumm Napa - Champagne flights at Mumm can't go wrong.  A great place to either start or end the day.  They are the last place to close in Napa which means that if you are doing a winery crawl this should be the last stop because everything else will be closed around 4pm.  I think Mumm is open until 6pm.

For food, I recommend the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford.  They have some of the best garlic smashed potatoes I've ever had.  Get a steak.  I'd also check out Mustards Grill in St. Helena and you can't go wrong with Brixx if you like farm to table type eating.

The best time to go is late september to late october.  That is when "crush" happens and most of the wineries will be mixing grapes.  You'll get to see live action and learn more about wine than you can ever remember.

Those are my little spots/secrets/tips.  I'm sure I'll think of more and if I do then I'll check back in and post.

Finally, if you go to Peju and you run into a smarmy cunt named Breshear Breshear then kindly tell that fucker to fuck right off.

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 4

One more thing, when you go to napa you want to accomplish a few things....

1. See the wineries that everyone knows.  Go to mondavi and other big boys.  You'll quickly learn that this is not the place for you.  This is like going to six flags.  Sure it sounds awesome but then you realize you paid $20-40 to taste wines you can buy in the store for <$20.  You'll also hate the crowds.  This is an important lesson.  I recommend you get it out of your system early so you don't waste your time being awed by massive estates.  The good wine is made in a barn most times and that is where you want to be drinking it.

2. Don't ask any waitresses or waiters for their favorite wines.  The truth is that those people typically don't know shit.  Get the somm if the restaurant has one.  Then ask him if he can come up with a list of 5 wineries that have a case production of less than 5000-10,000 per year.  Those are the places you want to go.

3. Plan a second trip.  You will never accomplish what you want to do on one trip.  You'll get stuck talking to one person for 2 hours and not buying anything. That is a waste of valuable tasting time.  Get in, talk it up, buy 1-2 bottles of your favorite from the winery and move on ASAP.  You can get much more drunk than you already are and the longer it takes you to buy a bottle the more they will try and hold you there to get you to buy or sign up for a wine club.

• Like 1

I liked Rutherford Grill just fine, but we just had appetizers (also had locals tell us that it was essentially the same thing as Houston's). Mustard's didn't do a whole lot for me, unfortunately . I think Bottega, Bistro Jeanty, and Redd have probably been my favorite meals in the area. The wife really wants to hit Girl and the Fig in Sonoma next trip, and we've been meaning to get up to Cook in St. Helena for a few years and just haven't made it.

37 minutes ago, drewcifer said:

I liked Rutherford Grill just fine, but we just had appetizers (also had locals tell us that it was essentially the same thing as Houston's). Mustard's didn't do a whole lot for me, unfortunately . I think Bottega, Bistro Jeanty, and Redd have probably been my favorite meals in the area. The wife really wants to hit Girl and the Fig in Sonoma next trip, and we've been meaning to get up to Cook in St. Helena for a few years and just haven't made it.

I guess I should have gotten more into the food.  By the time I eat I'm already trashed so maybe my taste is off.  I've never done the french laundry so I don't know about that.  The truth is, there aren't a ton of can't miss type places to eat.  Everyone is focusing on wine for the most part.  The only food recommendation that I'm really truly comfortable giving is eating lunch at Brannan's Grill in calistoga when you get up there.  Not that it is some awesome place.  It is a nice restaurant to get a sandwich or salad at.  You're going to need to eat lunch before you take drink 45 glasses of wine between noon and 5pm.

Edited by Jhawk

3 hours ago, drewcifer said:

It’s not just lime Houston’s, it is Houston’s — owned by the same company (Hillstone) and has pretty much the same menu.   Bottega and Mustard’s are good, but next time get out of Napa and Yountville and head up to St. Helena.  Better place to stay cost-wise, less people, and much less of the “let’s find as many large wineries and identical tasting rooms as we can” crowd.  Really great restaurants as well — Press, Brasswood, the original Gott’s (still has the Taylor’s Refresher sign), Farmstead, Goose & Gander, Market.  Just more laid back in general, and more centrally located

Mustards is ok ..Gotts is a mainstay but if your near there ( the original off 128) and not feeling a burger head a half mile towards St. Helena and go grab a sandwich at W F Giugni & Sons. We loved Goose and Gander and Archetype in St Helena.

If youre in Napa head over to oxbow, grab some cheese and a baguette from the cheese shop, walk around the corner and pick up some charcuterie from fatted calf and beer from fieldworks. Take the food to the winery of your choice and have a picnic

• 2 weeks later...

Quick 2-day (really a day and a half after getting here) stop in Napa Valley on our way elsewhere. Stayed in St. Helena as always.

WIneries:  Kelly Fleming, Young Inglewood and The Vineyardist. All good, Vineyardist crazy good.

Dinner:  Farmstead and Brix

Grabbed burgers for lunch at Gott’s (original in St. Helena)

Quick 2-day (really a day and a half after getting here) stop in Napa Valley on our way elsewhere. Stayed in St. Helena as always.
WIneries:  Kelly Fleming, Young Inglewood and The Vineyardist. All good, Vineyardist crazy good.
Dinner:  Farmstead and Brix
Grabbed burgers for lunch at Gott’s (original in St. Helena)

We really enjoyed Farmstead the last time we went to Napa. The pork chop was awesome.

Just finished a quick Napa trip. Thank you for the Odette and Barnett recommendations. The Barnett Rattlesnake is awesome and that tasting up on the mountain is one of the better ones.

We stayed at Hotel Yountville. It’s a nice place and we really enjoy staying there.

We hit Bottega and French Laundry for food. It was our second trip to FL and we probably won’t go back. Hard to recreate that first experience. There were still amazing dishes, but a couple of misses as well.

e98b35198d326134be60299eb89a55de.jpg

7749bec2c1bd658a0529034ab5418f0e.jpg

799c07304acfd1d4fe6b18d111c3b301.jpg

Went with the Barnett Cab at dinner Saturday. Really good. Needed to open up a little. But by the second glass it was on point. Still have a bottle of Rattlesnake at the house. May have to open it up soon.

• Like 1

If your looking for an out of the ordinary experience I would recommend a tasting/tour with Emmitt-Scorsone outside Healdsburg. Michael Scorsone was previously with Schrader and Failla. They have an estate vineyard and also buy fruit from Beckstoffer To Kalon and GeorgesIII. Scorsone spent over 3 hours with our small group. Tasted everything they make from the big cabs to unusual Italian varietals. For insight into small vineyard/winery management this was a great visit. Nice dude.

I'll be the douche from the North Bay whose parents are in the industry and briefly drop in to recommend everything in Sonoma and especially Dry Creek and Anderaon Valley. If you're not dropping huge coin, that's the move.

My one wine club as a 28 year old in Brooklyn is JR Rickards, which is a wonderful balance of quality and an interesting spread of varietals.

22 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Group doing Healdsburg next month. Appreciate any RRV, Dry Creek and Anderson Valley recs 

So many to choose from ... MacRostie and Skipstone were two of my favorites. DG is fantastic and Fog Crest right around the corner is certainly worth a visit