The Napa / Sonoma Wine thread

PorscheGuy

9 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Daughters like reds. We are staying in Napa. Open on price points....looking for nice views and experiences. I can drink any wine...prefer Pinot Noir.

Agree with the comment above on Pinots.  You can drive to Carneros and get pinots if you want.  There are a few places that have Pinots in Napa, but not a lot.

I would rent a car.  Uber is in the valley, but I don’t know the situation these days with the virus.  It also takes them a while to get to you in the couple of times I’ve used it.

Suggestions with your request for a “view” in mind:  Chappellet (great views from a high point).  Easy to get to off the Silverado Trial.  Stop by Krupp on the way — good selection of wines at various price points, nice winery with a good view.  Up north toward Calistoga — Jericho Canyon.  Be sure to ask them if you can do the ride through the vineyards on a Gator.  Close by is Sterling.  I personally don’t like their wines, but if you want a view that’s the place.  Seven Stones also has a magnificent view.  It’s cab only, very small production.  They are going to expect (though not require) you to buy a 3-pack at $200/bottle.  It’s worth the price.   There are also some places with great views on Howell Mountain.  I recommend Arkenstone.

We haven’t stayed in the town of Napa In years (we stay in St. Helena) so not much help on restaurants there.  Yountville has the Thomas Keller restaurants, Bottega, and Mustard’s just up the road.  I do recommend lunch at Addendum if it is open — Keller’s small chicken and bbq shack.  The fried chicken is amazing.  If you are up near St. Helena at lunch time, Farmstead is nice, as is a place called Market (great food, very much a “locals” place).  Lots of great places in St Helena for dinner, but I don’t recommend braving the checkpoints to drive that far for dinner.  If you do, Press (steak), Brasswood (Italian), Goose & Gander, Market and Farmstead are all excellent.  Oh — grab a burger at Gott’s. There’s one in Napa and the original in ST. Helena(this location is better).  Yeah, it’s kind of a “touristy” thing to do, but the burger and fries are really good.

• Like 1

Oh — if you want to do the sandwich/picnic thing, avoid Oakville Grocery (crowds).  Try Soda Canyon Grocery on the Silverado Trail just north of Napa, or, in St. Helena, Sunshine Foods or WF Giugni
This soda canyon grocery is great as is vineberg, great breakfast burritos and coffee. Speaking of coffee, napa valley roaster in downtown, skip the bbq/wine place next door
  • Like 1

Also oxbow market near downtown has fieldworks brewing if you want something other then wine, there is hogg island oysters, if the sandwhich idea isn't appealing the fatted calf meat market amazing charcuterie, step over to the oxbow cheese market and there is a bakery right there too but the name escapes me right now.

Damn it I wish I was in Napa

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/11/2021 at 12:53 PM, Dbeasy said:

Headed out there at the end of July. Hope things are open.

June 15 has been the state’s targeted full reopening date and that train doesn’t seem to be stopping. The mask mandate will largely end but given how strict places are here in the Bay I’d bet quite a few places hold onto it for indoors. 

Trying to add one final winery to our list. Over three days we are headed to: Caymus, Quintessa, Round Pond and Stags Leap.  We will be near Stags Leap to fill the last slot.  Any thoughts on a nice complement to that list?

On 5/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Dbeasy said:

Trying to add one final winery to our list. Over three days we are headed to: Caymus, Quintessa, Round Pond and Stags Leap.  We will be near Stags Leap to fill the last slot.  Any thoughts on a nice complement to that list?

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but Palmaz is fantastic and the tour might be as good as the wine.  I don't think Caldwell's wine is as good as Palmaz but the story/experience is pretty cool.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Odette is right there, and they have their whole family. Odette, Cade and Plumjack, all fantastic IMO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:
On 5/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Dbeasy said:

Odette is right there, and they have their whole family. Odette, Cade and Plumjack, all fantastic IMO

Yes we went there last time. It was great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we are heading out in early November.

Going to be there 3 days, but only 2 with our friends. We will have a solo day as well, probably do Napa on that one, but can be convinced otherwise. Thinking about visiting the following places. We want to do one day in Napa and one in Sonoma. No more than 2 or 3 in any one day.

Odette
Stags Leap Cellars
Regusci Winery
Clos du Val
Round Pond
Robert Sinskey
Nichelini Family Winery
Shug Winery
Matthiasson Wines
Kelly Fleming Wines
Robledo Family Winery
Kunde
VJB Cellars
Laurel Glen Vineyard
B. Wise

We would like to keep wine costs somewhat reasonable. Maybe 80-150 ish for the wines. If there is somewhere we shouldn't miss, I'll go higher for one or two of them.

• Like 1

Plugged these guys in another thread (or maybe it was TOS). Fucking awesome experience. Really cool guy hand curated a bunch of places for us based on what we told him we were looking for. Really knows his shit when it comes to wine and everything about the area. Plus he had all kinds of cool access I didn’t feel like we could have otherwise gotten. One of the best things we’ve done on a vacation. Highly recommend…

https://www.noblewt.com

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Going to be there 3 days, but only 2 with our friends. We will have a solo day as well, probably do Napa on that one, but can be convinced otherwise. Thinking about visiting the following places. We want to do one day in Napa and one in Sonoma. No more than 2 or 3 in any one day.

Odette
Stags Leap Cellars
Regusci Winery
Clos du Val
Round Pond
Robert Sinskey
Nichelini Family Winery
Shug Winery
Matthiasson Wines
Kelly Fleming Wines
Robledo Family Winery
Kunde
VJB Cellars
Laurel Glen Vineyard
B. Wise

We would like to keep wine costs somewhat reasonable. Maybe 80-150 ish for the wines. If there is somewhere we shouldn't miss, I'll go higher for one or two of them.

In Sonoma, Hamel, WALT, and Petroni are tough to beat.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, Chewbacca said:

Also, need one high end meal. I've done French Landry, so looking for something else. Thoughts on Bouchon, Bottega or Bistro Jeanty?

I had a horrible experience at Bouchon, but to be fair, my waiter admitted he was coked out of his mind after I got up and let the manager have it.

Bottega is damn good.  Don't sleep on Reddwood's, I had the best pasta dish I have ever had anywhere.  It is way more causal with pizzas but done at the highest levels.  

• Like 1

Odette
Stags Leap Cellars
Regusci Winery
Clos du Val
Round Pond
Robert Sinskey
Nichelini Family Winery
Shug Winery
Matthiasson Wines
Kelly Fleming Wines
Robledo Family Winery
Kunde
VJB Cellars
Laurel Glen Vineyard
B. Wise

Your list is looking strong
Check out these :

Schramsburg is always a good one to start out with. Awesome and massive cave. Above average American champagne that’s about $60 a bottle. If your wife likes Veuve clicquot, she will like this.

Barnett’s should be on your list. Amazing view from the top of spring mountain. Great for 1-3 couples. Rattlesnake cab is in my top 5 Napa cabs. Estate cabs are $100- rattlesnake is $195 last time I looked. They used to wave the tasting fee if you spent $200+ on wine.

Hall has some of my favorite wines. There facility is huge. Would only Recommend doing a private tasting and tour. IMO they are the best large producer of wine in Napa. Plus they are owned by Texans.

Far Niete is another to look into. Good wines. Cool car museum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Bumping this. 

Planning a trip to Sonoma region (staying in Healdsburg) in April. I've done Napa a couple of times but this will be the first time in Sonoma/Dry Creek outside of Russian River Brewing. Appreciate any recs on wineries, dining, other must do activities. We love Pinot, not big on Chardonnay - though I know they go hand in hand at a lot of places. 

I'll read through the past posts but if I recall it's weighted heavily toward Napa recs.  

3 hours ago, Dangit said:

Bumping this. 

Planning a trip to Sonoma region (staying in Healdsburg) in April. I've done Napa a couple of times but this will be the first time in Sonoma/Dry Creek outside of Russian River Brewing. Appreciate any recs on wineries, dining, other must do activities. We love Pinot, not big on Chardonnay - though I know they go hand in hand at a lot of places. 

I'll read through the past posts but if I recall it's weighted heavily toward Napa recs.  

Healdsburg is our go-to wine country town to stay in. It’s just a cool town to walk around. Probably our favorite Dry Creek spot is Unti, since it’s an easy drive and near Dry Creek General Store. We’ll usually grab a bottle and enjoy the view on the patio. Preston Farm and Reeve are fantastic too but more of a drive. Ridge is obviously widely distributed, but they are iconic and there Lytton property has fantastic views. For Pinot, we enjoy Ryme and Joseph Swan down in Forestville. Copain is widely distributed but they have a great property. 

In town, our favorites are Cartograph, which focuses on Burgundian-styled Pinots, and Idlewild. Natural wine label Jolie-Laide just opened a tasting room in Idlewild’s space. Marine Layer just opened a really cool new tasting room. 

For restaurants, SingleThread is of course the big one, and Valette and Dry Creek Kitchen are great as well for higher end. We usually go more casual and hit up Campo Fina, Healdsburg Bar & Grill and Bravas Bar de Tapas (which has great cocktails if you are tired of wine). I have never been to Barn Diva because of the ridiculous name, but they just got a Michelin star so we’ll need to check them out soon. 

Also, in the very odd chance you want to get some physical activity in, I just hiked the Taylor Mountain Park outside Santa Rosa and highly recommend it. Very leisurely 1,400 foot climb for 360 degree views of Sonoma County. Stuck out in my mind as one of the best Bay Area hikes in recent memory, and it’s just a few minutes from a Pliny at Russian River after. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dangit said:

Bumping this. 

My fav Russian River wineries to visit:  Paul Hobbs, Gary Ferrell, Bacigalupi, Rochioli, and Merry Edwards - all have excellent pinot's and chardonnay's. 

We're Texas has some very good pointers for Healdsburg and I second Campo Fina - eat on the patio.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Healdsburg is one of my favorites

To stay: Bella Luna Inn

To eat: Bravas is a must, Valette, Guiso Latin Fusion, Willi's for seafood, Catelli's up in Geyserville, and most of all, drive out to Bodega Bay and eat a crab sandwich and clam chowder at Fisherman's Cove or Spud Point, don't make a shit, eat at whichever line is shorter. It's a must. Suggest you bring a cooler (and when I say cooler, I mean a Yeti backpack) of meats, cheese, champagne (or Pliny), plastic glasses and hike the Bodega Bay Trailhead down to the beach. Pantydropper. If Armstrong State Park is open (thanks a lot, wildfires) run that same play in the redwoods.

Wine: Hall, as mentioned above, check out their sister, Walt and BACA, new room right outside of town, they're making some serious wines. CAST, Gary Farrell, Merry Edwards, Hanna, Dry Creek, Unti. The wines are stupid good up there, there isn't a wrong answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Couple of ones that I enjoy in Napa:

Von Strasser is a small vineyard that makes some great big bold cabs. If you like the heavy stuff, this is a great place for it. 

Raymond wines for the tour experience is super fun late in the day. Their wines are good, not incredible, but the location is so incredibly weird and unique that you will enjoy the experience greatly even if you don't care for the wine. The place is owned by some eclectic billionaire or something, and he has some... Odd tastes. Would not surprise me at all if they did Eyes Wide Shut parties on occasion. We did their Decades tasting, which let us try some very old wines side by side, and that was fun. 

We really like Etude for their Pinot Noirs. The property is OK to see but nothing memorable. It's very close to Napa city, right on the county line between Napa and Sonoma, so it's a short trip or Uber from town if you're staying there. They have quite a variety of floral flavors in their pinots, and they do a good job of mixing their grapes from all over the area. They are not a Napa only vineyard. 

Far Niente has great wine, definitely worth a visit.

The cellar tour of Del Dotto in St Helena was well worth the time and money. We tried at least a dozen wines on the tour, and they gave us a charcuterie board with homemade pizzas. It was an awesome experience with great wines.

Edited by Dutchrudder

Bumping this. 
VJB in Kenwood was a great experience. They have a restaurant so you can eat while you taste, and the food is solid. They do Italian wines and it was a fantastic experience. We love their wine and this will be the place we make sure to revisit when we go back.

B Wise is literally next door to VJB. They do some really nice blends and pinots. We joined both of those clubs.

• 5 months later...

Need to dive into this thread because we just booked a Napa trip for next Spring. Plenty of time for research, reservations, etc.

Our previous Napa trip was a week in 2014, flew into Oakland, and we stayed closer to the town of Napa. 

This time, we fly into Sacramento and head to Calistoga for 7 nights. Will do 4 nights back in Sac before heading back home as well. 

Staying at Dr. Wilkinson’s. Gonna take advantage of some of our membership perks at Chateau Montelena, will do French Laundry. Probably join my wife for some spa time (which would please her greatly). Other than that, we’ll figure the rest out. Gonna unroll my eyes, relax, and embrace the hippie-dippy Northern California vibe without programming ourselves too much.  

Staying at The Citizen in Sac after that. Never been to Sacramento…might as well check it out. 

Seemed like a nice way to burn some travel vouchers today, so we just booked it all. 

As long as it ain’t on fire…should be a good time. 

Edited by After irth

Need to dive into this thread because we just booked a Napa trip for next Spring. Plenty of time for research, reservations, etc.
Our previous Napa trip was a week in 2014, flew into Oakland, and we stayed closer to the town of Napa. 
This time, we fly into Sacramento and head to Calistoga for 7 nights. Will do 4 nights back in Sac before heading back home as well. 
Staying at Dr. Wilkinson’s. Gonna take advantage of some of our membership perks at Chateau Montelena, will do French Laundry. Probably join my wife for some spa time (which would please her greatly). Other than that, we’ll figure the rest out. Gonna unroll my eyes, relax, and embrace the hippie-dippy Northern California vibe without programming ourselves too much.  
Staying at The Citizen in Sac after that. Never been to Sacramento…might as well check it out. 
Seemed like a nice way to burn some travel vouchers today, so we just booked it all. 
As long as it ain’t on fire…should be a good time. 

Eat at Bottega. One of the best meals I've ever had.
  • Like 1

I would definitely forego Sacramento - there are too many great places to be in wine country to spend 4 nights in Sac, which is just a town.  Go spend a couple days in Healdsburg or something and cut the Sac time in half, at least.

Agree with the above skip Sac, nothing really noteworthy to see do or eat. I visited Healdsburg in 2015 for the first time and moved here in 2019 so if that tells you anything. Its a 40 minute'ish drive from your hotel, if you have been I highly recommend stopping by

Spring isn't traditionally fire season here but with the way the drought has been, who knows but I don't think that should be a concern.

A word to the wise down the street from your hotel on the corner of 128 and Kortum you'll see a BBQ stand with pits and smoke billowing out, even smells good, avoid it you'll just be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have a wine country quick trip planned at the end of October. We will have a Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, then maybe one early tasting Saturday. We are staying somewhat near Santa Rosa. We are looking for a mix of smaller mom and pop places and a couple of bigger names. Not planning on going to Napa, just the area around Santa Rosa and Sonoma.

We love wine but anything more than $50 or $60 per tasting is probably wasted on us. Would love to hear some recs for tastings but also places that would let us just buy a bottle and sit at an outdoor table. Bonus points for views. Like reds, mostly Pinots and cabs.

Have a wine country quick trip planned at the end of October. We will have a Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, then maybe one early tasting Saturday. We are staying somewhat near Santa Rosa. We are looking for a mix of smaller mom and pop places and a couple of bigger names. Not planning on going to Napa, just the area around Santa Rosa and Sonoma.
We love wine but anything more than $50 or $60 per tasting is probably wasted on us. Would love to hear some recs for tastings but also places that would let us just buy a bottle and sit at an outdoor table. Bonus points for views. Like reds, mostly Pinots and cabs.
VJB has a great outdoor tasting area. They have food as well. Great spot to either do a long tasting or buy a bottle or two and drink. They do Italian wines that are fantastic for the price point.

This is the one spot I hit every time we go.

https://vjbcellars.com/
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Sebastopol is our go-to weekend getaway so we spend quite a bit of time in the area. For views, recommend Iron Horse. Ryme in Forestville is a great husband and wife operation, but no views. Joseph Swan is also under $30 - one of the OGs, but tastings are in their cellar. Whenever we go to Sonoma we begin the day with a bottle at Unti’s patio. Frankly we usually only do bottles these days. Ridge is iconic and has great views as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Never been but thinking about making a 20th anniversary trip the first week of November.  Is this still the tail end of harvest/crush season and a good time to visit?

Looking for somewhere to stay and ok to splurge a bit for the occasion.  Wife is picturing tv/movie type views where we just sit on a private balcony overlooking rolling vineyards, etc type of shit.  Searching always leads to auberge du soleil but it's booked. Anybody have a favorite vineyard view hotel with spa on site?  Anybody ever stay at Meritage Resort and Spa?

21 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Never been but thinking about making a 20th anniversary trip the first week of November.  Is this still the tail end of harvest/crush season and a good time to visit?

Looking for somewhere to stay and ok to splurge a bit for the occasion.  Wife is picturing tv/movie type views where we just sit on a private balcony overlooking rolling vineyards, etc type of shit.  Searching always leads to auberge du soleil but it's booked. Anybody have a favorite vineyard view hotel with spa on site?  Anybody ever stay at Meritage Resort and Spa?

That is where you are going to get the movie type views. Have you tried calling?

There are some great places to stay in Yontville. You don’t get wonderful views but you are in an excellent location. Stroll down to Bouchon bakery on the morning before you get started. Great restaurants to hit at night. Our room at the Vintage house had a great fireplace and private patio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1