Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

On 4/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I still don't know why Flannigan didn't use all her bullshit social media history and outright false information against her.  It does kinda speak to the idea that he didn't actually want to win.

Yup. A half-time job paying $140k can surely salve the wound.

Kelly took a prudent political position heading into the council race, labeled as a conservative republican.  Otherwise intelligent, educated "R" have attached themselves to her as the way to guide Austin forward.  It's insane. 

An acquaintance of mine touted her as the "Conservative voice of the Council" and I responded that she was "a kook."  She's viewed as the path to saving Austin from the homeless problem.  Uh, no.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, phdhorn said:

Yep.  Austin dumped at-large districts in 2012 and of course in good bureaucratic fashion increased the incompetency from 6 to 10 members.  So even less voted for her than used to be the case per council member.

However, you are correct in that the dumbasses all over Austin voted in 2012 to change the system, so indirectly you're right.

To be honest, single-member districts seemed like a good idea at the time.  Increasing the number from 6 to 10 - at the same time - may not have been a good idea.  The conventional wisdom at the time was that council was dominated by "Central Austin interests" and that the high-growth areas had no representation.  10 years later, we have Fitlump because only 15k people showed up to vote in the district 6 runoff.  Did we get the representation we deserved?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I mean, can’t we consider Lake Travis the Colorado River?

Sure.... remember when Austin tried to extend its ETJ all the way up the bed of the Colorado River to Marble Falls?

(and the legislature bitchslapped those arrogant imperial assholes down)

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

Yup. A half-time job paying $140k can surely salve the wound.

Kelly took a prudent political position heading into the council race, labeled as a conservative republican.  Otherwise intelligent, educated "R" have attached themselves to her as the way to guide Austin forward.  It's insane. 

An acquaintance of mine touted her as the "Conservative voice of the Council" and I responded that she was "a kook."  She's viewed as the path to saving Austin from the homeless problem.  Uh, no.

To be honest, single-member districts seemed like a good idea at the time.  Increasing the number from 6 to 10 - at the same time - may not have been a good idea.  The conventional wisdom at the time was that council was dominated by "Central Austin interests" and that the high-growth areas had no representation.  10 years later, we have Fitlump because only 15k people showed up to vote in the district 6 runoff.  Did we get the representation we deserved?

And now thanks to Kelly and other NIMBY council members we are likely going to get a 12th council member (11th district) since they separated the strong mayor proposal and the additional district. I think Strong Mayor is going to go down in flames and the additional district will be approved. Geographic districts are fine but you need to balance it out with a few at large members to balance out the increased power small neighborhood groups have now over entire city issues.  There was a competing proposal at the time for 8 geographic districts and 3 at large (1 being the ceremonial mayor) and that passed BUT it didn't have as much support as 10-1 which is a stupid way to pick a system in my humble opinion. This is what we got and an additional district is just going to lower the bar even more for who can get elected. 

Edited by Pasken

Here's what's terrible about the interview (I just read it, maybe it sounds different) -- she doesn't sound insane.  She sounds relatively reasonable, and deliberate.  Sure, she says a couple of self-aggrandizing oddball things -- but shit, any council member would.

Mark my words -- she will be mayor within a few years.

Because this is the timeline we live in.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's what's terrible about the interview (I just read it, maybe it sounds different) -- she doesn't sound insane.  She sounds relatively reasonable, and deliberate.  Sure, she says a couple of self-aggrandizing oddball things -- but shit, any council member would.

Well, look at who they reelected as mayor with 80% of the vote the last time. Why would you be surprised.

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

Geographic districts are fine but you need to balance it out with a few at large members to balance out the increased power small neighborhood groups have now over entire city issues.  There was a competing proposal at the time for 8 geographic districts and 3 at large (1 being the ceremonial mayor) and that passed BUT it didn't have as much support as 10-1 which is a stupid way to pick a system in my humble opinion. This is what we got and an additional district is just going to lower the bar even more for who can get elected. 

Agree for the most part.  and we have too many districts touching 'Central Austin/CBD' and then worming out to the nether regions.  It's kind of a gerrymandered thing in some ways.  And this "West Austin" contingency is a misnomer.  What you think of when you think of 'West Austin' voters is actually spread across three districts.  We're not West Austin, more South Austin.  And nobody in my neighborhood or those adjacent to it seem to give a shit about local politics.  So everything in our district is commanded by Circle C and the Oak Hill folks.  And I don't really consider that even part of Austin.  Meanwhile, those of us knee deep in the bullshit of City Council's feel good crap, don't have much say because we're just a bunch of small neighborhoods and HOA's that have none of the clout as Circle C.  

4 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Kelly took a prudent political position heading into the council race, labeled as a conservative republican.  Otherwise intelligent, educated "R" have attached themselves to her as the way to guide Austin forward.  It's insane. . . .

10 years later, we have Fitlump because only 15k people showed up to vote in the district 6 runoff.  Did we get the representation we deserved?

Do You Think The Average Sales Rep Has The Guts To Do These Things? - Paul Castain

Edited by washparkhorn
"you" = the royal "you" not the personal "you"

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I could see Governor of Texas before Mayor of Austin, honestly.  

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, why the fuck not.  And from there, it's not a big leap to POTUS.  Because why the fuck not.

Well, we can dream.  She seems intellectually on par with those getting elected to national office in many western nations, especially in the last decade or two.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well, look at who they reelected as mayor with 80% of the vote the last time. Why would you be surprised.

I think she's positioning herself for a state office, or even a House seat (Texas is picking up a couple of seats after the last census).

BUT, I don't think the noods, scrutiny of her record, etc. will be held back this time. There were legitimate reasons, even if you don't agree with them, for people holding off (although I think it was fucking stupid, and there were plenty of ways to get that stuff out there without it being tied back to a candidate).

I think a lot of people expected she wouldn't win and didn't go down that road last year.  Now that she's won, the gloves will be off.  And it'll probably be somebody in her own party primary that brings everything out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mackowiak already wants her to run for State Leg., possibly State Senate.  They're just waiting to see the 2022 lines in a few months.  They won't put her up for U.S. Congress yet though.  When Matt said, "We're grooming her for something bigger"...I thought of all the different meaning of "grooming" and threw up in my mouth.  Twice.  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Mackowiak already wants her to run for State Leg., possibly State Senate.  They're just waiting to see the 2022 lines in a few months.  They won't put her up for U.S. Congress yet though.  When Matt said, "We're grooming her for something bigger"

Told you so

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I often think of that Cheers episode where Frazier concocts the plan to run Woody for City Council to prove to the bar that any idiot can win an election by being vague and smiling.  And then Woody ends up actually winning it and Frazier freaks the fuck out because he's created a monster.  

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I often think of that Cheers episode where Frazier concocts the plan to run Woody for City Council to prove to the bar that any idiot can win an election by being vague and smiling.  And then Woody ends up actually winning it and Frazier freaks the fuck out because he's created a monster.  

image.jpeg.e97046c20592238597a0f85d56b7e418.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Mackowiak already wants her to run for State Leg., possibly State Senate.  They're just waiting to see the 2022 lines in a few months.  They won't put her up for U.S. Congress yet though.  When Matt said, "We're grooming her for something bigger"...I thought of all the different meaning of "grooming" and threw up in my mouth.  Twice.  

Well, he is a fat ass.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

But wait, there's more.  The pre Alex Jones show the other morning, hosted by Harrison Smith? actually was touting her as an up and comer to watch out for.  Showed her fucking multiple red dress photos and fake disaster scientist/first responder bullshit......I thought I was in the twighlight zone

On 4/27/2021 at 1:05 PM, PantsTent said:

Which Prop E vote would make it less likely for someone like Fitlump to win a race?  I'm guessing yes to avoid low turnout run-offs?

And is 11 idiots better/worse than 10 idiots on council?

this is funny.  I was making the same calculus but it was regarding being less likely for a massive idiot like Casar.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mackenzie, I would have turned out the fucking light if my kid was that tired. Also, her friends will mock her for this.

I wish she'd place that blue dress in that blue bin and use the Lane Bryant gift certificate I sent her campaign as an in-kind donation.  My god, the things that dress has seen.  

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mackenzie, I would have turned out the fucking light if my kid was that tired. Also, her friends will mock her for this.

Slipped a Xanax in the kid's juice box again, I see.

• Like 1

"STAR Test?"  What the fuck is that?  Never heard of it.

hqdefault.jpg

You'd think that as one of Austin's highly-engaged public servants, she'd know what the fuck test her kid took.

Also, that's a pathetic photo.  I mean seriously?  Lie on the floor and shut the fuck up.  Mommy's working on padding her image.  And pose well.  I need you for my career.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

"STAR Test?"  What the fuck is that?  Never heard of it.

hqdefault.jpg

You'd think that as one of Austin's highly-engaged public servants, she'd know what the fuck test her kid took.

Also, that's a pathetic photo.  I mean seriously?  Lie on the floor and shut the fuck up.  Mommy's working on padding her image.  And pose well.  I need you for my career.

C'mon, the kid was up all night listening to Proud Boys running a train on her mom. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1