Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

• 3 weeks later...

Austin CC wants to again double parkland fees that developers have to pay when developing new neighborhoods. City says the doubling (again) is to cover increases in real estate prices. Parks are a good thing, mmmkay. Developers say the doubling is going to increase real estate pricing because they'll pass the costs on to housing prices.

I see both sides being right.

https://www.kut.org/austin/2022-09-14/elected-officials-take-up-question-of-how-austin-should-pay-for-parks-here-are-5-things-to-know

There aren't really "both sides".  They're all in on it together.  All we get is theater.

If there is one group who has no clue how to do anything to impact the cost of housing in Austin, it's the city council.  And it's all a joke anyway, with developers in bed with local government (like most cities).  They won't ever do a damn thing if it slows down the money train.  If we continue to elect people with connections to real estate to public office, we'll continue to get nothing but grifting pieces of shit. The outlier on this may be fitlump, which is mind-numbing.  I'm sure she'll be in bed with developers soon if she's not already.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

There aren't really "both sides".  They're all in on it together.  All we get is theater.

If there is one group who has no clue how to do anything to impact the cost of housing in Austin, it's the city council.  And it's all a joke anyway, with developers in bed with local government (like most cities).  They won't ever do a damn thing if it slows down the money train.  If we continue to elect people with connections to real estate to public office, we'll continue to get nothing but grifting pieces of shit. The outlier on this may be fitlump, which is mind-numbing.  I'm sure she'll be in bed with developers soon if she's not already.  

Interesting that you say that. I don't know much about real estate zoning but it seems like the whole thing is a shit show. In this case, the CC unanimously voted in favor of the developers. Not sure if that's always the case. This prob belongs in the real estate thread. I found the article really interesting.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/austin-affordable-housing-nimby/

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Granted I’m a real estate professional but I’ve never understood this take.  There’s just ample evidence to the contrary-city code that protects single family residence construction at the expense of multi-family development, constant “improvements” in building codes that increase the cost of construction, the general failure (years running) at an agreement on a master plan to promote higher density development along transportation corridors.  

This city is held hostage by the central Austin neighborhood groups, not developers.  If anything, it’s an absence of a money train to counter balance the NIMBYs thats to blame.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Interesting that you say that. I don't know much about real estate zoning but it seems like the whole thing is a shit show. In this case, the CC unanimously voted in favor of the developers. Not sure if that's always the case. This prob belongs in the real estate thread. I found the article really interesting.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/austin-affordable-housing-nimby/

Thanks for the link.  It's the old density over individual rights argument.  Politicians love it as it allows them to lay all blame at the feet of NIMBY homeowners.  It's effective because it's largely true, but it also allows supposed progressive elected officials to get away with doing nothing. All they have to do is pass new zoning rules, but they can't seem to write anything up that isn't dripping with graft.  Then when citizens fight it, they bring out the NIMBY excuse again.  Rinse and repeat.  

However, I don't blame anybody who makes a serious investment in a residential home not wanting a giant development going in nearby with subsidized housing.  Nobody likes crime, and nobody likes traffic.  Adding a development like Mehra wants to do in that article will increase both. There's no way around it. His high minded talk about giving regular folks access to power in Austin is either insanely misguided or carefully considered self flagellation.  Moving a poor or lower middle class family into a condo near downtown won't change a fucking thing in terms of their access to power or anything else.  Mehra and those like him are no different than other developers, he's just using the feel-good play book to either assuage his own guilt or that of others.  He will get paid whether it's by the government or wealthy homebuyers.  Either way he's out the door with cash and it's the residents' problem to deal with the aftermath.

I don't know what the solution is, ultimately, but finding a way to limit corporate investment of residential real estate, and completely ending foreign purchases of residential real estate, would go a whole lot farther than hoping corrupt elected officials and the spawn of satan (i.e. real estate developers) will magically sort things out.

This quote from the article sums it up well, I think.  Even people who agree that density should happen sure as hell don't want it on their block.  And who can blame them?  But we still have to figure out a way to get housing in this city.  So the council will either have to nut up and pass zoning that actually fucking works, or maybe we say fuck it and just go full Houston.  If they approve projects like this one, they should be paying off the homeowners on the block who will see major losses in home value.  It's a form of imminent domain and should be treated as such.  Otherwise, it's just theft of property without fair compensation.

Stanley believed Mehra’s proposal would add far too much new housing in the middle of a block of mostly single-family homes. She said the street couldn’t handle the additional traffic and argued that the project would pave over the natural filtration system that protected the adjacent creek. “They need to find another property to do their wonderful, beautiful project on,” she told me. “There’s something called site appropriateness. We all believe density should happen in the city, but it’s not a matter of more is more. Sometimes more is less.”

6 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

If they approve projects like this one, they should be paying off the homeowners on the block who will see major losses in home value.  It's a form of imminent domain and should be treated as such.  Otherwise, it's just theft of property without fair compensation.

My guess is that just the opposite will happen.  Being able to put multiple units on the property makes the dirt way more valuable.

• Like 2

My guess is that just the opposite will happen.  Being able to put multiple units on the property makes the dirt way more valuable.

Thats for sure.

Also, Austin is a national leader in new construction AND value increases. Slowing down new construction AND making it more expensive to build has helped offset global demand for Austin property. But there’s still massive demand even with the difficulties in building shit in Austin.

There’s only the best bad solutions available to city leaders. But I’m not gonna play pretend that the 1950’s concept of supply and demand are in play. And if they are, the data is not possible to figure due to infinite possibilities.

In my experience, no one is a NIMBY when it's not your backyard.  When it is your backyard, NIMBY shows up.  Would anyone today in a SFH really enjoy having two giant buildings built on either side of your house, with cars and trash cans all up and down your street, or would you just sell the "dirt" and move?

I'm OK with duplexing, like much of central Austin already is zoned.  Those were the rules when most people bought their properties so they shouldn't be surprised when someone uses those rules.  Propose duplexed zoning for Circle C -- watch out for NIMBYs.

I actually rode CapMetro the other day. I had to make a carless trip back home and decided to give it a go, a rapid route connecting to a local.  The rapid routes are pretty nice and frequent.  That's where we should be increasing density.  The local routes suck.  CapMetro ended up taking twice as long as walking would have.  I did it in 90 degree weather and I was still soaked in sweat when I got home.  No one is going to ride CapMetro in 105 degree heat unless they absolutely have to, or unless they have a cool, safe place to wait for a convenient trip.

I'll always point to Robinson Ranch when someone wants to rezone SF neighborhoods ... vacant land ... almost unlimited zoning ... rail cuts right through it ... Apple nearby ... ... rail goes to the Domain and downtown ... zero development.  Why no action?

10 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Granted I’m a real estate professional but I’ve never understood this take.  There’s just ample evidence to the contrary-city code that protects single family residence construction at the expense of multi-family development, constant “improvements” in building codes that increase the cost of construction, the general failure (years running) at an agreement on a master plan to promote higher density development along transportation corridors.  

This city is held hostage by the central Austin neighborhood groups, not developers.  If anything, it’s an absence of a money train to counter balance the NIMBYs thats to blame.  

Do you have your headshot on your business card? Never understood that.

• Drool 1

I'll always point to Robinson Ranch when someone wants to rezone SF neighborhoods ... vacant land ... almost unlimited zoning ... rail cuts right through it ... Apple nearby ... ... rail goes to the Domain and downtown ... zero development.  Why no action?

Robinson Ranch is already zoned high density multipurpose. But its private property and ETJ until they sell parts off.

18 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

This quote from the article sums it up well, I think.  Even people who agree that density should happen sure as hell don't want it on their block.  And who can blame them?  But we still have to figure out a way to get housing in this city.  So the council will either have to nut up and pass zoning that actually fucking works, or maybe we say fuck it and just go full Houston.  If they approve projects like this one, they should be paying off the homeowners on the block who will see major losses in home value.  It's a form of imminent domain and should be treated as such.  Otherwise, it's just theft of property without fair compensation.

I see comments like this all the time and it blows me away that people actually believe the rhetoric. Yes the homes disappear but it's because of massive gains in home value. This obsession with property value I see from people, especially in the burbs, is the root of so much damn disconnect. SFH owners tend to say stuff like "don't do X because it will hurt my property value" only to support changes that they claim will increase their property value which is somehow viewed as a good thing. It might be a good thing if you want to get the hell out of dodge but long term residents don't really want property values to rise in the way of gentrification.

Here's a picture of a neighborhood in Dallas I used to live in. You can go to Google Maps yourself to see I'm not bullshitting. It's the intersection of Capitol and Bennett. This is what the northeast and southeast corners looked like in 2011

3cap.thumb.png.38672bdd107239c171fc14d3717aebff.png

Then here comes the big bad apartment complex in 2014

2cap.thumb.png.f0dd97b9559e1386dd59758e25fd3535.png

After property assessments were handed down and residents were expected to see 10% gains every year no matter what for the near future, here's what the southeast corner looks like two years later

1cap.thumb.png.3ba4df0f3412acc781e3e6107bd39ec4.png

8 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

In my experience, no one is a NIMBY when it's not your backyard.  When it is your backyard, NIMBY shows up.  Would anyone today in a SFH really enjoy having two giant buildings built on either side of your house, with cars and trash cans all up and down your street, or would you just sell the "dirt" and move?

I'm OK with duplexing, like much of central Austin already is zoned.  Those were the rules when most people bought their properties so they shouldn't be surprised when someone uses those rules.  Propose duplexed zoning for Circle C -- watch out for NIMBYs.

I actually rode CapMetro the other day. I had to make a carless trip back home and decided to give it a go, a rapid route connecting to a local.  The rapid routes are pretty nice and frequent.  That's where we should be increasing density.  The local routes suck.  CapMetro ended up taking twice as long as walking would have.  I did it in 90 degree weather and I was still soaked in sweat when I got home.  No one is going to ride CapMetro in 105 degree heat unless they absolutely have to, or unless they have a cool, safe place to wait for a convenient trip.

Perhaps because the Robinson family is in no hurry to sell out. They were already well off just running their white lime business and made millions selling a tract here & there in recent decades (AISD, AMD, Apple). Not to mention what they received for the toll way right of way.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Perhaps because the Robinson family is in no hurry to sell out. They were already well off just running their white lime business and made millions selling a tract here & there in recent decades (AISD, AMD, Apple). Not to mention what they received for the toll way right of way.

Twenty-some-odd years ago, I did quite a bit of analysis for a local consultancy that provided advisory services to real estate developers in the Austin market. If I'm remembering it all correctly, this is precisely the issue. We were told that the family was going to be very deliberate in how the property was going to be developed by favoring only projects that they believed would serve the community's greater strategic interests. In other words, marquee/blue-ribbon type projects such as the ones you highlighted in parentheses instead of their family's legacy being covered over by miles of rooftops that could go anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Twenty-some-odd years ago, I did quite a bit of analysis for a local consultancy that provided advisory services to real estate developers in the Austin market. If I'm remembering it all correctly, this is precisely the issue. We were told that the family was going to be very deliberate in how the property was going to be developed by favoring only projects that they believed would serve the community's greater strategic interests. In other words, marquee/blue-ribbon type projects such as the ones you highlighted in parentheses instead of their family's legacy being covered over by miles of rooftops that could go anywhere.

Did you ever meet Oscar Robinson? He went to St.Edward’s HS at the same time I did.

The Pearson Ranch family on the north side of 45/620 took the latter route you mentioned.

Houses everywhere on their former acreage plus two schools, with the last big chunk fronting on 620 being developed right now into a large commercial project.

Edited by Armybrat

23 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

You are correct on council not having any clue on how they impact housing costs, but wrong on developers being in bed with them.  As one, I can tell you that developers and builders in the area do everything we can to try to get the city not to raise fees, etc.  as these just get passed on to the home price.  Raising the parkland fee because real estate prices are going up?  The fees are used to improve existing parks, not buy new ones.  Bond money is used to buy new parks.

Edited by landman
spelling error

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Their ranch is ETJ and they have an agreement with the city when they sell land, it becomes Austin proper. Im not sure how official the zoning plan is. And Im sure it could change.

Check the City map - 90% of the ranch is in the city limits and in Fitlumps district.  It was annexed when the family agreed to have it zoned as part of a development agreement a few years ago.

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I see comments like this all the time and it blows me away that people actually believe the rhetoric. Yes the homes disappear but it's because of massive gains in home value. This obsession with property value I see from people, especially in the burbs, is the root of so much damn disconnect. SFH owners tend to say stuff like "don't do X because it will hurt my property value" only to support changes that they claim will increase their property value which is somehow viewed as a good thing. It might be a good thing if you want to get the hell out of dodge but long term residents don't really want property values to rise in the way of gentrification.

Here's a picture of a neighborhood in Dallas I used to live in. You can go to Google Maps yourself to see I'm not bullshitting. It's the intersection of Capitol and Bennett. This is what the northeast and southeast corners looked like in 2011

3cap.thumb.png.38672bdd107239c171fc14d3717aebff.png

Then here comes the big bad apartment complex in 2014

2cap.thumb.png.f0dd97b9559e1386dd59758e25fd3535.png

After property assessments were handed down and residents were expected to see 10% gains every year no matter what for the near future, here's what the southeast corner looks like two years later

1cap.thumb.png.3ba4df0f3412acc781e3e6107bd39ec4.png

Well, yeah.  No one who purchases a single family home wants to live across the street from an ugly ass apartment building, and the noise, congestion, etc. that comes with it.  Of course it's not all about property value, but the two go hand in hand.  That corner appears to have been rezoned for commercial use, so the homeowner may have been able to leave with some cash. If it were just residential, they would have taken a bath. There's a zero % chance that property gained value as a straight single family home, I don't care what assessments were done.  So developers make money on the apartment and the commercial development, and the homeowner is displaced.  Maybe that's ultimately a good thing, but if the homeowner enjoyed living in that community they probably weren't thrilled about it.  Claiming that homeowners should be happy that their property gains value as a commercial location is lunacy.  No one buys a SFH hoping that their property may one day become a Walgreens.

Unless I'm missing something, these pictures just reinforce the NIMBY argument.  Apartments move in and before long the whole neighborhood has completely turned over into something else.  That something else is a bunch of apartments owned by single real estate investment firm or individually purchased by a bunch of investors who don't live there, and a commercial property owned by what is likely another group of investors from somewhere else.  What some see as a success for urban development, and the notion that more apartments somehow equate to lower housing costs, looks more like forcing locals out of their homes and funneling money out of the city to outside investors.  Then we're left with apartments that cost too much to rent for most folks, and those who do are living the isolated and shit-tastic experience of an apartment in America.  Awesome.  In some circles this is a success.  Hourly workers can spend 60% of their wages on rent in an apartment owned by people who don't live in the community and homeowners are displaced to the burbs.  It's the wet dream of developers everywhere, but it's damaging to cities.

I'm all for paving central Austin over and building a boatload of high rises if they are built for regular folks to live in and not with the intent to milk tax dollars and/or foreign investors by building complexes that only the insanely rich or insanely poor can live in.  Austin has attempted mixed use developments that most cannot afford to live in (look at the Triangle for a prime example where they even tried to create something that would foster community and it fucking sucks - one bedrooms starting at $1600 isn't adding any value to Austin whatsoever). It's on a slow jog toward becoming an eye sore even though it still has that new smell. From a developer perspective it was a huge success. Downtown Austin is a bunch of condos owned by foreigners looking to launder their funny money, and no one lives in them other than the occasional rich kid living on daddy's dime.  That shit is what is killing cities in this country.  Austin need infill, and it needs more housing, but letting developers drive the bus is like letting the fox guard the henhouse.   NIMBY homeowners suck in Austin, to be sure, but they're pushing back against an equally shitty attempt to milk the city by outside interests.  As I wrote before, this is where strong local leadership is required, and we haven't had that in Austin, well, ever.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I thought the Robinson Ranch Development Agreement was allowed to expire a few years ago?

Here's the original from 2004.  My bad if it has expired...

Obviously the city would have to negotiate with the land owner.  But only one land owner.  Exhibit E shows the special zoning allowed by the agreement. 200 ft tall allowed for multi-family.

The ranch has huge potential with the Red Line running right through it and a toll road.  Austin is not out of space.

At a little backyard cookout/beers/pool time today (10-12 people) w/ a city council candidate and MK came up, specifically her history, as detailed in this thread and 8 Days to New Boobs.  I gave a dissertation on her starting w/ being friends w/ pedo Ricky and hit everything I could remember.  Heads are spinning, jaws are dropped, lots of questions.  We had a good WTF/LOL session for about 15 min on her.  A while later, a guy pulls me aside and tells me he used to date her, maybe 2014ish.  Met her at Sugar's (he thinks) and took her home that night, then had a wtf moment the next morning in the light of day. Continued a fwb type relationship for a couple of months.  What a small world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Kirk Watson and Leslie Pool were walking around Crestview this morning going door to door meeting people.

I was going to ask him if he's fucked fitlump yet but didn't want to make Leslie jealous.

You should ask him if he’s going to bring back the pork chop on Morrow and the Crestview Gate. Ideally do it with Pool in frame and get it on video.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 10/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, Deej said:

She managed to stay out of the shit storm that brought upon this city and now she’s on the right side of the dumbasses from the yellow rose in her district. What is the world is shit coming to that fitlump is actually an effective council member?!!! It’s almost like she’s grown more powerful and transcendent than we could have ever imagined. 

• Fuck You 4

On 9/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mittens said:

At a little backyard cookout/beers/pool time today (10-12 people) w/ a city council candidate and MK came up, specifically her history, as detailed in this thread and 8 Days to New Boobs.  I gave a dissertation on her starting w/ being friends w/ pedo Ricky and hit everything I could remember.  Heads are spinning, jaws are dropped, lots of questions.  We had a good WTF/LOL session for about 15 min on her.  A while later, a guy pulls me aside and tells me he used to date her, maybe 2014ish.  Met her at Sugar's (he thinks) and took her home that night, then had a wtf moment the next morning in the light of day. Continued a fwb type relationship for a couple of months.  What a small world. 

'a guy' 

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NopeEver said:

She managed to stay out of the shit storm that brought upon this city and now she’s on the right side of the dumbasses from the yellow rose in her district. What is the world is shit coming to that fitlump is actually an effective council member?!!! It’s almost like she’s grown more powerful and transcendent than we could have ever imagined. 

Sunglasses Hiding GIF by Soul Train

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, NopeEver said:

That leaked audio of you with those political operatives about the homeless issue was pretty sad even though I'm glad yall passed it. Why do you let a grown ass man talk to you like that?

8 hours ago, NopeEver said:

Hey Fitlump - can you unblock me on twitter, sorry about asking you for updated pictures of your new tits. It really is a hassle to have to log out of my twitter account, log into my back up account just to troll your accounts

Edited by Wally Fairway

On 10/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, crash_davis said:

Kirk Watson and Leslie Pool were walking around Crestview this morning going door to door meeting people.

I was going to ask him if he's fucked fitlump yet but didn't want to make Leslie jealous.

I know they weren't up in my hood because despite being part of District 7 and a huge segment, I only ever hear about her doing community stuff down there near where she lives. 

Sorry, but Pool is a huge disappointment to me as my CM. 

The Avery Ranch Golf Club violated an Austin zoning code when it allowed an adult entertainment club to host a tournament including topless women this week, an official said Friday.

Austin City Council Member Mackenzie Kelly said she heard about the event when parents of Vista Ridge High School golf team members called her to complain. They told her that golf practice on Monday had been canceled because a tournament hosted by the Yellow Rose, an adult entertainment club, was happening at the course. Some parents also sent her photos of what they had seen, Kelly said.

"I've seen photos of women topless on the course passing out alcohol, which is concerning considering they were in a residential area," she said. "At first I was very shocked and surprised that would happen."

The parents are clearly not briefed on Council Member Kelly's history. But Kelly was shocked, just shocked.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/10/08/strip-club-event-at-austin-golf-course-violated-code-official-says/69547832007/

Edited by used2b

The Avery Ranch Golf Club violated an Austin zoning code when it allowed an adult entertainment club to host a tournament including topless women this week, an official said Friday.
Austin City Council Member Mackenzie Kelly said she heard about the event when parents of Vista Ridge High School golf team members called her to complain. They told her that golf practice on Monday had been canceled because a tournament hosted by the Yellow Rose, an adult entertainment club, was happening at the course. Some parents also sent her photos of what they had seen, Kelly said.
"I've seen photos of women topless on the course passing out alcohol, which is concerning considering they were in a residential area," she said. "At first I was very shocked and surprised that would happen."

The parents are clearly not briefed on Council Member Kelly's history. But Kelly was shocked, just shocked.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/10/08/strip-club-event-at-austin-golf-course-violated-code-official-says/69547832007/

Kelly, a former sex worker herself, said this activity had no business in a residential area.
“This is my area of expertise. Finally, I know what’s going on”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:25 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry, but Pool is a huge disappointment to me as my CM. 

She’s not your CM. She doesn’t represent a council district. She represents the small circle of very well-connected neighborhood association and Travis County Dem types she’s personally acquainted with.  

• Hook 'Em 1