Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

2 hours ago, gernblansten said:

We should absolutely revive the "are burgers and hot dogs sandwiches" discussion.  I'll start.  

I don't care what the dictionary says, no one in history has ever gotten off the sofa and said "I'm going to make a sandwich" and come back with a cheeseburger.

Unless you live in the Northeast

2 hours ago, gernblansten said:

We should absolutely revive the "are burgers and hot dogs sandwiches" discussion.  I'll start.  

I don't care what the dictionary says, no one in history has ever gotten off the sofa and said "I'm going to make a sandwich" and come back with a cheeseburger.

Peak off-season. I agree 

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

my school of thought:

if you can put it in between two pieces of bread and eat it, its a sandwich

if you can put it in a tortilla and eat it, its a taco

the end

One piece of bread folded is a bread taco

• Like 3

Great looking sammiches.  My thoughts on sammiches:

1.  Bread quality -- it's hard to find good bread, and I don't bake.  Most grocery store bread sucks.

2.  Bread quantity -- most people seem to use way too much bread (or to put it another way, don't use enough stuffins').  A two-slicer should have at least a half pound of tasty things in between.  If  you're not that hungry, just use one slice cut in half, but make a real sammich for your husband.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great looking sammiches.  My thoughts on sammiches:

1.  Bread quality -- it's hard to find good bread, and I don't bake.  Most grocery store bread sucks.

2.  Bread quantity -- most people seem to use way too much bread (or to put it another way, don't use enough stuffins').  A two-slicer should have at least a half pound of tasty things in between.  If  you're not that hungry, just use one slice cut in half, but make a real sammich for your husband.

Yup. The bread and the fixxins to bread ratio are the 2 most important aspects of a sandwich for me.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 12:41 AM, South Austin said:

I’m going to find out where you live and start stalking you. Hope it doesn’t get weird.

It's all good.  Your mom already knows the address.  BTW, tell here happy mother's day from me. 😃

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, Jack Straw said:

my school of thought:

if you can put it in between two pieces of bread and eat it, its a sandwich

if you can put it in a tortilla and eat it, its a taco

the end

Is a burrito a taco?

On 5/8/2020 at 3:59 PM, gernblansten said:

Is a patty melt a burger or a sandwich?

I’d argue a hot dog is an open-faced sandwich. All hamburgers are sandwiches. Just because you can get more specific such as a phylum/genus/animal/kingdom style level doesn’t mean the same isn’t applicable to sandwiches. Or cars. My dog is still a mammal even though I never say Im going to go walk the mammal. My car is still a vehicle even though I don’t refer to it as that. And a hamburger is still a fucking sandwich. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 3:59 PM, gernblansten said:

On 5/10/2020 at 5:33 PM, Covri said:

Is a patty melt a burger or a sandwich?

cheeseburgers and hot dogs are not sandwiches. And yet, somehow, a patty melt is a sandwich. Fight me.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

most raw bacon has been cured and/or smoked.  still not a good idea but not as dangerous as you might think. 

I used to have coworkers in Germany.  I went over to their offices for a week, and on my last day they tried to get me to eat lunch delivered from the local butcher.  "Mett" -- freshly ground raw  pork.

Oh, hell no.  For multiple reasons.  

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

cheeseburgers and hot dogs are not sandwiches. And yet, somehow, a patty melt is a sandwich. Fight me.

If the current climate in America has taught me one thing, there is only so much one can do to fight ignorance. Somewhere CDT23, RoostaMan and eCheese are still bemoaning the loss of Greg Davis. And a cheeseburger is a sandwich. 

is it the meat or the bread crust that defines it?  if the bread, then you just eliminated half the posts in this thread.  if it's just because it has an alternat name, well, ok then.

anyhoo.  since reposting is ok today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I used to have coworkers in Germany.  I went over to their offices for a week, and on my last day they tried to get me to eat lunch delivered from the local butcher.  "Mett" -- freshly ground raw  pork.

Mett and parisa go back to the same cultural roots, and actually have quite a following in areas of Texas due to those same immigrant roots.

Not one I made, but gonna post it because is still haunts my dreams. 

Fried pork cutlet sandwich at pub brewsky in Montreal.

D1-C48-FE3-2160-47-FD-B09-F-E0-EC6-C63-BD5-D.jpg

5-B8-F4991-946-D-44-AD-95-B5-790460-DCAD33.jpg

Mother....fucker.  I'm pretty sure GOLL and I stopped in there for a beer a few months ago (dead of winter, wandering around at -2, we needed a refreshment).  But we just had drinks.  Shoulda had that sammich, too.  We could have just eaten dinner later.

Dude, mett's good stuff.  Last time we were in Berlin, I ate it for breakfast probably 3 days in a row at the little cafe across the street from our hotel.

12af176a8b9087dc212663313e256eb0.jpg

• Like 1