Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

38 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

All this made me ponder how one would describe the infamous "Maid-Rites". Turns out (per their website) they self-identify as a "loose meat, fresh ground beef sandwich". Yeah, yeah, South Austin's mom, yada, yada, yada...

Was there ever a Maid-Rite in Austin?  We had one in my small south-central Missouri town growing up.  (It's still there.)

They were basically Sloppy Joe's without tomato ketchup, and they were delicious.

Only an average of 13 or so cases of trichinosis reported in the US each year—almost all from eating wild/feral hogs or bear.  Commercial pork? Zero to 1 (perhaps) every year.  I can’t stand burnt bacon.  Internal temp of 145 means death to the parasite.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Only an average of 13 or so cases of trichinosis reported in the US each year—almost all from eating wild/feral hogs or bear.  Commercial pork? Zero to 1 (perhaps) every year.  I can’t stand burnt bacon.  Internal temp of 145 means death to the parasite.  

And undercooked bacon is stringy and chewy.  Gotta hit the sweet spot.  It can still be soft, but cooked more than that picture shows.  And it can be good all the way up to crispy, but not burnt.  There is a zone of Bacon Perfection.  Your bacon should reside there.

13 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Yes I know he clearly didn’t die from trich. He died from the flaming he received on the old site 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Was there ever a Maid-Rite in Austin?  We had one in my small south-central Missouri town growing up.  (It's still there.)

They were basically Sloppy Joe's without tomato ketchup, and they were delicious.

Doesn't look like it (primarily just Iowa, with other locations sprinkled throughout the midwest). For some reason, I thought they were more prevalent in Ohio (where I had family), but maybe those were similar "knock-offs". I would think Austin would have had at least 1 place that served something similar, maybe?

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is a zone of Bacon Perfection.  Your bacon should reside there.

If I ever get "redlined" from a housing perspective, I hope my residence is in the Bacon Perfection zone....

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And undercooked bacon is stringy and chewy.  Gotta hit the sweet spot.  It can still be soft, but cooked more than that picture shows.  And it can be good all the way up to crispy, but not burnt.  There is a zone of Bacon Perfection.  Your bacon should reside there.

What's your secret for that?  I fry my bacon on medium heat and am constantly turning the strips.  Usually get the right combination of crispy and chewy.

55 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

I cook pork chops and tenderloin to 137 F for a minimum of 20 seconds.  That's safe.  I'm not eating mushy bacon.  That's criminal.

Just now, South Austin said:

What's your secret for that?  I fry my bacon on medium heat and am constantly turning the strips.  Usually get the right combination of crispy and chewy.

I cook my bacon in the oven now.  Put the strips on a cookie sheet, put it in a cold oven, turn it to 425, and it's done the way you want in about 25 minutes -- don't need to mess with it till near the end -- you want to watch it closely, because it can go from not as done as you want to way-too crispy in a minute.  But seriously, the oven is the way to go.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I cook my bacon in the oven now.  Put the strips on a cookie sheet, put it in a cold oven, turn it to 425, and it's done the way you want in about 25 minutes -- don't need to mess with it till near the end -- you want to watch it closely, because it can go from not as done as you want to way-too crispy in a minute.  But seriously, the oven is the way to go.

Yeah, but I like to scramble my eggs in some bacon grease after taking it out of the pan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, but I like to scramble my eggs in some bacon grease after taking it out of the pan.

Then pour the grease into your frying pan.  Dude, I keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge at all times.  Cook bacon on cookie sheet, pour grease into jar, have on hand for immediate or later use.  Profit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

check out that fucking delicious looking sandwich - is that a (maybe hanger) steak bahn mi, or ... ?

it's an approximate bahn mi.  I butterflied and portioned out one of those small pork tenderloins, marinated it for a few hours in soy sauce, black pepper and crushed garlic, and cooked it on the grill pan.  my kids love pretzel buns so I went with that instead of a traditional baguette.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, Brisketexan said:

Then pour the grease into your frying pan.  Dude, I keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge at all times.  Cook bacon on cookie sheet, pour grease into jar, have on hand for immediate or later use.  Profit.

Endorsed by moi and cardiac doctors throughout the state!

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But no fucking ketchup ever. Unless you are under the age of 12. 

Exception: cheap fast-food burgers (I'm thinking McDonald's) wolfed down in the car when on a road-trip, when that's your only option, when you're throwing cheap food at a teenage boy, etc.  A squeeze of ketchup on all of their cheap burgers makes em go down ok.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Exception: cheap fast-food burgers (I'm thinking McDonald's) wolfed down in the car when on a road-trip, when that's your only option, when you're throwing cheap food at a teenage boy, etc.  A squeeze of ketchup on all of their cheap burgers makes em go down ok.

always dug the mix of ketchup and mustard on the standard double cheeseburger at mcdonald’s and burger king.  both are solid options for cheap and disgusting fast food that is also delicious. 

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

mcdouble + spicy mcchicken is a go to a bit more often than i'd like to admit.

in high school I used to order that and put the mcchicken patty on the double cheeseburger and crush it.  then eat the mcchicken bun with the lettuce and mayo for dessert. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:13 PM, Jack Straw said:

if you can put it in between two pieces of bread and eat it, its a sandwich

On 5/8/2020 at 8:09 PM, futureman said:

is a hot dog a sandwich?

So really the question should be - Is a hot dog bun one piece of bread or is it two pieces of bread?

Another for #TeamOvenBacon.  Thick-cut bacon takes ~ 18 minutes at 350, flipping half way.  You need to eyeball it, though; I've found every brand of bacon cooks a bit differently. Helpful tip: line your pan with aluminium foil before cooking.  Not only does this allow for easy cleanup, but you can also use the foil to easily pour some of the bacon drippings into a pan for use in cooking eggs and the rest into a storage vessel of choice to reserve for future use (every house should have a reserve of bacon grease for eggs, cornbread, etc).

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, Brisketexan said:

I chicken-fry my steaks in bacon grease also kept in a jar in the garage beer fridge. 

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I chicken-fry my steaks in bacon grease also kept in a jar in the garage beer fridge. 

Bacon grease is the base for a good cream gravy, that's for sure -- I'm pretty sure that's one of the 10 Commandments of Texas Cooking.

Dammit, now I want a CFS.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, RMac5 said:

Oven bacon here too. No skillet grease mess on the stove either. We line the cookie sheet with foil and go to town.

Ive heard this is good as well. How much grease do you get? Do you need a pan under the cookie sheets to catch any of it or does the foil grab it all? I will be trying this. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Ive heard this is good as well. How much grease do you get? Do you need a pan under the cookie sheets to catch any of it or does the foil grab it all? I will be trying this. Thanks.

Use a rimmed cookie sheet, so the foil has a raised lip -- it catches all the grease.  And I get as much grease as I get in a frying pan, but without any of the blackened bits you can end up with.  I just let the pan cool a bit, pinch one corner of the foil to make a spout, and then pour the grease into my jar.  Couldn't be easier.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dammit, now I want a CFS.

Waterloo Ice House has some Family Meals to go right now, and one option is chicken fried chicken (not steak).  Comes with gravy, salad, and two sides -- we did mashed taters and green beans.  $50 and unless your family's last name is "Watt" you can pretty easily stretch it to two meals.  (We did dinner plates and then made sammiches for lunch with the leftovers.)

Is it great?  No.  But it scratched an itch that I was not prepared to handle myself in the kitchen.  They also have catfish + tacos, fajitas + chips & queso, wings + sliders, all with 2 sides.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Use a rimmed cookie sheet, so the foil has a raised lip -- it catches all the grease.  And I get as much grease as I get in a frying pan, but without any of the blackened bits you can end up with.  I just let the pan cool a bit, pinch one corner of the foil to make a spout, and then pour the grease into my jar.  Couldn't be easier.

Mrs. Brat does the foil in the rimmed cookie sheet, but after oven baking she lets it cool down on the counter to congeal, then puts the paper towels (used to drain & dry the bacon) in the grease, wraps it up & puts it in the freezer for later disposal.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat does the foil in the rimmed cookie sheet, but after oven baking she lets it cool down on the counter to congeal, then puts the paper towels (used to drain & dry the bacon) in the grease, wraps it up & puts it in the freezer for later disposal.

PnwvX6.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Having 4 heart stent implants (even have one inside another) & two heart attacks so far, using bacon grease for cooking at the Brat household has been a nonstarter for two decades.

I figured as much.  If you're eating turkey bacon, you'd better keep that to yourself.

• Haha 1