Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

10 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Cross posting but damn proud of my 12 year old daughter.  She wanted to make chicken sandwiches from scratch.  Here is her 1st attempt.  These are the only pictures that you will get fuckers.20220806_160829.thumb.jpg.6454b89cf02cd27e89c8002778076904.jpg20220806_184040.thumb.jpg.2239fdcfc46e97147264378694f6419f.jpg20220806_184047.thumb.jpg.e9149bf13f6820d92b69fd833b288001.jpg20220806_184115.thumb.jpg.4dc1c00ed0e6a21f70933d2ab7152c7a.jpg

I showed that picture to my 11 year old son and I think that he is in love. 

• Haha 2

So.... bear with me. This sandwich has history. My grandpa let me work for the family business around mixers and loaders and dump trucks when I was 12. 16 was the minimum age. When Osha showed up I had to go hide in the parts room upstairs in the shop where I would do everything from clean the shitter to do 1000 services on an Oshkosh. 
Anyhow,  my grandpa,  who was 78 or 79 at the time and still came to work every day used to grab me around noon and say let's go grab a sandwich at LD's Cafe. This was a shit hole but they had awesome fried pork sandwiches and on Friday night they had fantastic deep fried jumbo shrimp. Regardless... the fried pork chop sandwich was a heavily battered pork chop with raw white onion,  shredded iceberg and tomato with a mayo/mustard sauce. 
Haven't had one in 30 years. Did my best to recreate it tonight. Slammed.
20220810_194146.thumb.jpg.cb71b4ed88f187f81d0a4c50b43dd2f1.jpg

Great story about a great memory. I hope that fucking awesome sandwich brought sweet memories back of your grandpa and those days. So many of my favorite times are triggered and built around various foods, whether it’s simple like cornbread in a glass of buttermilk, or a plate of cheese enchiladas, or a blt with the bread toasted in bacon grease. Pop always shows up.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I see something good but can’t get past the salmon. Even living in Portland and getting it off the day boat it still reeks of the canned red chum they stunk my elementary school with.

I guess I'm a fucking idiot, too, because at 47 years old I still haven't quite acquired a taste for salmon. 

Now, I've had Copper River king salmon in season in Seattle, and it was served pretty plain, some salt and pepper, but no rub or sauce, and I thought it was outstanding. But you can't get that often in Central Market or Whole Foods, and when you can it's fucking expensive.  The garden variety salmon behind the seafood counter still can taste too "fishy" for me.  It's a shame, because it's one of the healthiest proteins out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I guess I'm a fucking idiot, too, because at 47 years old I still haven't quite acquired a taste for salmon. 

Now, I've had Copper River king salmon in season in Seattle, and it was served pretty plain, some salt and pepper, but no rub or sauce, and I thought it was outstanding. But you can't get that often in Central Market or Whole Foods, and when you can it's fucking expensive.  The garden variety salmon behind the seafood counter still can taste too "fishy" for me.  It's a shame, because it's one of the healthiest proteins out there.

I've enjoyed it in Washington, particularly the one I caught, which was handed to the guy from the restaurant when we docked the boat, and which was grilled and brought to me at our table.  My old man used to go Salmon fishing every year, and he'd have a metric shit ton of it smoked, canned, and shipped to Texas.  But outside of that, suffice it to say that the good stuff is a little harder to come by in Texas and I have been underwhelmed enough times that I tend not to bother with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, CoachTex said:

Cross posting but damn proud of my 12 year old daughter.  She wanted to make chicken sandwiches from scratch.  Here is her 1st attempt.  These are the only pictures that you will get fuckers.20220806_160829.thumb.jpg.6454b89cf02cd27e89c8002778076904.jpg20220806_184040.thumb.jpg.2239fdcfc46e97147264378694f6419f.jpg20220806_184047.thumb.jpg.e9149bf13f6820d92b69fd833b288001.jpg20220806_184115.thumb.jpg.4dc1c00ed0e6a21f70933d2ab7152c7a.jpg

I'd love that bread recipe.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:39 PM, pops said:

So.... bear with me. This sandwich has history. My grandpa let me work for the family business around mixers and loaders and dump trucks when I was 12. 16 was the minimum age. When Osha showed up I had to go hide in the parts room upstairs in the shop where I would do everything from clean the shitter to do 1000 services on an Oshkosh. 

Anyhow,  my grandpa,  who was 78 or 79 at the time and still came to work every day used to grab me around noon and say let's go grab a sandwich at LD's Cafe. This was a shit hole but they had awesome fried pork sandwiches and on Friday night they had fantastic deep fried jumbo shrimp. Regardless... the fried pork chop sandwich was a heavily battered pork chop with raw white onion,  shredded iceberg and tomato with a mayo/mustard sauce. 

Haven't had one in 30 years. Did my best to recreate it tonight. Slammed.

20220810_194146.thumb.jpg.cb71b4ed88f187f81d0a4c50b43dd2f1.jpg

Back when I took a short 18-month detour into working for my buddy's Dallas BBQ operation, I got friendly with the chef/owner of the fine dining place behind us in Preston Center. He was the executive chef who opened Al Biernat's with Al way back when and got them their early rave reviews. He had a "farmer's burger" on his lunch menu. It was a standard thin/smashburger with a breaded pork cutlet that was pounded flat, breaded and fried and put on top with typical burger accessories (LTO, etc). Goddamn it was gloriously good.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

When I lived in Portland each of the rivers and big creeks had their separate salmon runs and some of the locals could discern them like fine wine. Copper Creek, Nehalim Bay, Willamette, Clackamas, the list is long. I tried them all, absolutely fresh, and just can’t get far with it. My son can eat smoked salmon by the pound. It’s all far superior to Atlantic salmon which is farmed. It’s puke.

I do miss that PNW seafood like dungeness crab, oysters, halibut. They don’t have shrimp Worth a shit though.

Just can’t handle salmon, maybe as a smoked salmon dip. No shark, no redfish, no fresh tuna, no swordfish for me, thanks.  OTOH, I love all crustaceans, mollusks, and white-fleshed fish, and celebrate anchovies and crispy fried sardines.  Taste is a strange phenomenon.

As for me.....if it lives in the ocean, I love it.  All of it.  Wild, farmed, fish, mollusks, crustaceans, all of it.  I bet I'd love those worms that live by those deep sea vents.  Fry up a basket full, gimme a cold beer.....yeah, I'd eat it.  Like a plate of whitebait at a pub:

1348137319-chiperones_whtebait.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As for me.....if it lives in the ocean, I love it.  All of it.  Wild, farmed, fish, mollusks, crustaceans, all of it.  I bet I'd love those worms that live by those deep sea vents.  Fry up a basket full, gimme a cold beer.....yeah, I'd eat it.  Like a plate of whitebait at a pub:

1348137319-chiperones_whtebait.jpg

I am not a chef, but I don't think this is a sandwich.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, we went off on a "seafood I would/wouldn't eat" tangent, as Surly tends to do.  But to make it topical.....put that on a loaf of crusty french bread, and I'd eat the hell out of it.

French boule or GTFO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...