Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

Banh mi

815ca173b1842b3975e1b7d4c25f0e5d.jpg

Pork butt in the crock pot with fish sauce, soy sauce, lemon grass, shallots, garlic, and a bit of sugar. Quick pickle carrot and radish. Sauce is sambal + Try Me tiger sauce. Bread is poboy loaf from Royal Bakery in the crime-free Montrose.

Royal bakery is open to the public? I never realized that. Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

That’ll eat. By the way, tell me about that pan… carbon steel or cast iron? Can’t tell.

bourgeat carbon steel.  it's survived some shit.

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

quit using portrait mode to take pictures of your BLT. 

BELT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, pops said:

So this was supposed to just be grilled cheese on sourdough with homemade tomato soup. No fun. 

On mine I added bacon, japs, and huckleberry jam.  Call it a steel shank Monte Christo.  20221113_182431.thumb.jpg.5e560140a803da5093bc9e985e4378f9.jpg

"I said, ‘Are you strong?’ They said, ‘I’m strong if you strong.’ I said, ‘We strong, then.’”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What do y'all suggest for a good homegrown Philly cheesesteak?  Getting the beef sliced thin enough is my downfall.  Does the freeze-and-hand-slice method work?  My food processor has landed me somewhere between "sliced" and "ground".

Partially freeze and shave with a sharp knife.  I've also had the butchers run a ribeye through the slicer but they look at me funny for some reason. I am also of the opinion that the following is very suitable, but needs to be heavily seasoned. 

H-E-B Thinly Sliced Sirloin Beef - Shop Meat at H-E-B

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never seen that at HEB.  It's individual portions?  Seems like it would take 2 per sammich if they're 3.5 oz each.  At least the ingredients are nothing but sirloin.

I think I'll buy a ribeye on the way home tonight and do the partial freeze thing.

Smiths....Fred Meyer.... whatever it is up here...Kroger at the end of the day, regularly sells shaved steak. Slams and goes hard on a Philly. 

Screenshot_20221205_171229_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.2f5e13a8283574e88f30911c8677b2da.jpg

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I am also of the opinion that the following is very suitable, but needs to be heavily seasoned. 

H-E-B Thinly Sliced Sirloin Beef - Shop Meat at H-E-B

seconded. 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never seen that at HEB.  It's individual portions?  Seems like it would take 2 per sammich if they're 3.5 oz each.  At least the ingredients are nothing but sirloin.

it doesn’t look like much but it works.  and like he said, if you season it right and brown it well it’s pretty damn good. 

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

go to your local korean or chinese market (h mart or 99 ranch market) and look for thin sliced beef.  shabushabu/hot pot will be a thinner cut than beef for kbbq, generally.

20210813-3.jpg.91c2980ad3246fb30712437f3ff3d21c.jpg

This. Thin sliced beef/pork/sometimes chicken is a staple for home hot pot in Asian families, and it will be available sliced and frozen at any Asian supermarket. The larger supermarkets will also be able to take a frozen primal and slice it for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...