Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

My old man grew up poor in Depression era Texas out near Munday. He and my mother both had their comfort foods. He would dread bacon grease on bread, toast in a skillet, add mayo and sliced tomatoes. Poor folks food if you’re starving. It’s an awesome sandwich if you’re not. Sorry no pics.

My old man grew up poor in Depression era Texas out near Munday. He and my mother both had their comfort foods. He would dread bacon grease on bread, toast in a skillet, add mayo and sliced tomatoes. Poor folks food if you’re starving. It’s an awesome sandwich if you’re not. Sorry no pics.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Damn, you made that bread?

I am the world's worst baker.  Plus, I hate baking.  Kudos to you.

Yeah... I'm not much of a baker either but it really isn't that difficult if you have a stand mixer. That thing does the work for you. The worst part is waiting for it to rise and then rise again. After that you just throw it in the oven for 25 minutes, let it cool, slice it and it's good to go. Totally worth it for this sammich. 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... I'm not much of a baker either but it really isn't that difficult if you have a stand mixer. That thing does the work for you. The worst part is waiting for it to rise and then rise again. After that you just throw it in the oven for 25 minutes, let it cool, slice it and it's good to go. Totally worth it for this sammich. 

I have a "bread" machine.  It basically makes cubic scones, regardless of recipe.  I'l look into the stand mixer angle, it's not like mine gets used . . . ever.

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

PM unsent. 

Now I'm craving a  Schlotzky’s which I’m sure that sandwich is much better than.  

I have a Schlotsky's across the street. And a Jasons Deli about a mile away. Neither are as good as pictured. But they will will do for about one meal a week

I have a great recipe for boiled water.

My issue with this sandwich is GZ basically waves the bread over the mayo jar. 1.5 tsp ain’t enough. I know what is the right amount and know it’s way more than that. Dukes mayo the only correct mayo.

Also no fucking avocado. No onion. I’m dubious if butter lettuce. Needs more bacon.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Also no fucking avocado. No onion. I’m dubious if butter lettuce. Needs more bacon.

I've never had butter lettuce for a BLT.  Romain or green leaf, imo.

I have no problem with avocado or onion, but if you insert them into a sandwich, you should be legally prohibited from calling it a BLT.

I've never had butter lettuce for a BLT.  Romain or green leaf, imo.
I have no problem with avocado or onion, but if you insert them into a sandwich, you should be legally prohibited from calling it a BLT.

For a BLT I’m in the basics camp. I’ve rarely had a decent one in a restaurant. Wife and I eat at least a couple a week, and they vary in levels of complexity and quality but never the basic ingredients. Bacon bread mayo tomatoes lettuce.

The top shelf might be oven baked craft smoked bacon, skillet griddled sourdough, dukes mayo, peak summer tomatoes, shredded iceberg or romaine.

Wife never has lettuce on hers so I don’t shred just for me. Most often it’s a bunch of Costco precooked bacon with some sugar and cayenne and put in the microwave for 66 seconds, dukes, on whatever bread or toast I have. Maters only if decent.

Just say no to mayo made with soybean oil.
Negative on Duke's.
(Allergic to all soy products, but why would you use soybean oil anyway?)

I switched from Hellmans to Dukes because it has no sugar. I don’t know if a commercial mayo without soybean oil.

What is there out there? I don’t like the olive oil mayos. What do you use?

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I switched from Hellmans to Dukes because it has no sugar. I don’t know if a commercial mayo without soybean oil.

Well, if you don't like olive oil mayo, then I don't know what to tell you.  Not many alternatives.  I buy the Trader Joe's brand, which uses canola oil.  The big name "olive oil" brands are typically part olive, part soybean oil, anyway.  I just don't eat mayo unless I personally put it on my own sammich and know the ingredients.  But that makes me an outlier, I realize.  It starts as a health issue for me.

All that said, soybean oil is trash and a concession to profit margin.  

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just say no to mayo made with soybean oil.

Negative on Duke's.

(Allergic to all soy products, but why would you use soybean oil anyway?)

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, if you don't like olive oil mayo, then I don't know what to tell you.  Not many alternatives.  I buy the Trader Joe's brand, which uses canola oil.  The big name "olive oil" brands are typically part olive, part soybean oil, anyway.  I just don't eat mayo unless I personally put it on my own sammich and know the ingredients.  But that makes me an outlier, I realize.  It starts as a health issue for me.

The wife has been using Kenji's recipe, with grapeseed oil as he demos in the video, and prefers it to any store bought one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anthony Bourdain was big on making your own mayonnaise.  I got his cookbook "Appetites" for Christmas, and his recipe calls for egg yolks, white wine vinegar, salt, dry mustard, oil (vegetable, canola, or grapeseed - noting about soy or olive), and some lemon juice to taste.  I'm going to try it in the near future.

• Like 1

Interesting: TJ “real” mayo made with canola oil. TJ Organic mayo made with soybean oil.

Agree best is homemade, but I make it with a ton of garlic lime aioli and will eat it all on anything.

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

18 hours ago, Dutch said:

The wife has been using Kenji's recipe, with grapeseed oil as he demos in the video, and prefers it to any store bought one.  

I fucking love making my own mayo. I've been using this one for a year or two now, and it's the tits. Also, I use avacado oil, which is a pretty neutral oil that works for mayo, IMO, for those like me who try to avoid vegetable and canola:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-mayonnaise/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...