Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

12 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

there is a guy on tiktok using old cookbooks from 100+ years ago doing sandwiches of history. We ate some prety nasty ass sandwiches 100 years ago, but they are still probably better than papa johns pizza.  

Would like some links to that.

Sometimes I wonder what skillset I could bring to the table if I was transported back in time, and I think it might basically break down to cooking.  But then I realize that I would not have all these big containers of Fiesta brand spices to work with and I think that I might end up as a surf shoveling manure.. 

Edited by Anastasis

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sometimes I wonder what skillset I could bring to the table if I was transported back in time, and I think it might basically break down to cooking.  But then I realize that I would not have all these big containers of Fiesta brand spices to work with and I think that I might end up as a surf shoveling manure.. 

Man, you don’t actually want those recipes.  I’ve studied an awful lot of 1500 and 1600 books.  

Heres a sample. 

http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html

• Like 1

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdkqXBbP/

He is dry but the sandwiches are interesting. And also kinda gross for the most part.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A Sallet of Burdocke rootes

PERIOD: England, 17th century | SOURCE: Murrel's Two Books of Cookerie, 1638 | CLASS: Authentic

DESCRIPTION: A cooked dish of Burdock roots

A Sallet of Burdocke rootes.

Cut off the outward rinde, and lay them in water a good houre at the least: when you have done, seethe them untill they be tender: then set them on coales with Butter and Vinegar, and so let them stand a pretty while: then put in grated bread and Sugar, betwixt every lay, and serue them in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A Sallet of Burdocke rootes

PERIOD: England, 17th century | SOURCE: Murrel's Two Books of Cookerie, 1638 | CLASS: Authentic

DESCRIPTION: A cooked dish of Burdock roots

A Sallet of Burdocke rootes.

Cut off the outward rinde, and lay them in water a good houre at the least: when you have done, seethe them untill they be tender: then set them on coales with Butter and Vinegar, and so let them stand a pretty while: then put in grated bread and Sugar, betwixt every lay, and serue them in.

I cannot emphasize how important the “betwixt every lay” step is.
  • Haha 1

Yeah. Actually I really like that series. Cooking more than say, pre-1950 was a pain in the ass.

There was a cooking show on British TV that was on BBC America I believe. It was a pair of comedic foodie commentators. They would cook a meal from history, like a Celtic feast from 600AD, or a Norman meal, or a feast from the 1870’s empire. And they had to cook with the ingredients, recipes, and technologies of the time.

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

There was a cooking show on British TV that was on BBC America I believe. It was a pair of comedic foodie commentators. They would cook a meal from history, like a Celtic feast from 600AD, or a Norman meal, or a feast from the 1870’s empire. And they had to cook with the ingredients, recipes, and technologies of the time.

Supersizers, I think?

On 2/7/2022 at 4:22 AM, Anastasis said:

Depending on when and your communication skills--- if you could get one hospital and one major nobleman's kitchen to take your advice on sanitation or hygiene you'd basically be a health wizard and could consult on that stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
False. When you have top tier tomatoes you let them be the star. When you have out of season water boys go head and put a pound on there.

I’ll use the sarcasm tag next time. I agree that great tomatoes need less bacon. That looks like a perfect amount of perfectly cooked bacon. If I have good homegrown im fine with great bread, mayo, tomatoes. No bacon.
  • Like 1