The all encompassing RV thread

troph

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a minimalist and my wife is a junk-lover, so I actually LOVE spending time in the RV.  I have the built-in excuse of "the space is just too small" when she tries to clutter it up with unnecessary shit.  I keep it clean and tidy, everything has a place where it is put away so nothing's ever left lying around on the counters or floors.  If something DOES get left out for too long, I just throw it away.  The family is slowly learning this lesson.

Redwoods look great, enjoy!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Walser said:

Posts like this make me to take the plunge. I have nothing holding me back and work 100% remotely. 

Congrats on doing it, Paco.

Make it happen. 

as an aside, I heard from the wife that prices are going down as people are starting to offload their pandemic purchases as they return to their previous way of vacationing. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Make it happen. 

as an aside, I heard from the wife that prices are going down as people are starting to offload their pandemic purchases as they return to their previous way of vacationing. 

Take the plunge but DO NOT BUY anything made after feb 2020 until march 2022 if you are looking new. The construction on RV' is already shit. Combine that with the "can you work a screwdriver" covid construction I would be scared shitless of recent builds.  NEVER buy new... NEVER!!!!

I am sure that a lot of folks do what nearly everyone does, not use it a lot.  I haven't been out since August (my house flooded), but going to go by in the AM and measure for a new electric jack, and some scissor jacks.  The coast will eat the scissor jacks up when in sight of the surf.  But nothing is nicer for me at the coast that to have a space that feel like home. 

The secret to travel trailers is fairly simple.  Master "the Dark arts..." 

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

Nice. We are thinking of doing a trip to Palmetto and bringing the kayaks and having a float on the river. We have a trip in early May to Village Creek SP and are planning a few paddles on VC.

Nice. We brought our inflatable kayaks for the kids to use on the little lake here. There is a nice 11 mile paddle from Luling we are going to try some time. Kids almost ready for that distance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Any place in Corpus to spent a few nights? I will be away from the trailer for hours a day dealing with estate crap so take the islands off the list.  Considering Goose Island State Park but not sure I want to drive back and forth to CC from 45 minutes away.

Before I would go to Goose Island I might try Colonia Del Rey in Flour Bluff?  It's a mix of longer term and shorter term, but looked to be well run.  Close enough to be downtown in 20 minutes, and about 20 minutes from the beach.  There is also a KOA in Flour Bluff that has a view of the Bay but it's a little deeper in Flour B;uff and is maybe 30 minutes from Downtown.

Plus and most importantly you are a skip and a hop to Black Diamond Oyster Bar on Naval Air Station, some of the best seafood in Corpus.  Lunch's are mind blowing, if you sub Salads for fries.  I guess it depends on if your RE is in Ingleside or Corpus proper.  

Had a great weekend in Port A, though the wind was howling most of the time which killed the surf fishing for the most part.  I was really worried about having a blowout on my now 5 year old tires.  I am so pleased with my TPMS I got cheap on Amazon, for under $30 TPMS $28  I did need to order new batteries, and it's a hair complicated to set up but I just let it audibly alert me to 20 minute high pressure announcements.  My main concern was LOW pressure, and losing leverage from tire contact with the ground to take the lug nuts off and be fubar on the side of the road.  Just the peace of mind, was as they say... priceless.  As I much prefer driving 183 to Port Aransas, than 35/37 through Corpus (IF it's a weekday early enough to not have the ferry be an issue).

Only shit thing was, I spent about 3 hours taking on and off a new A frame hitch that i could not get to work the day before we left.  Usually when shit doesn't work electrically on a trailer it's a ground issue.  Good news is the pool guy who does a lot of electrical came over as I was cussing, and went through it with me one more time.  Another 20 minutes same result.  I always appreciate a second opinion, especially on electrical.

I did manage to screw up my city water intake valve.  As I had never winterized before and just did a half assed pumping of anti-freeze though the fresh water tank so I wanted to flush it and the system out when I first.  So filled up the fresh and flushed a fair amount of water though to clear the lines then switched over to the city connection.  Apparently the onboard pump had pressurized the system and I needed to release the cap to depressurize it before making the city water connection.  Well apparently the pressure blew out the screen O-ring and the connection was leaking like a sieve.  Of course I did not see the o ring laying on the ground until I have made a quick trip to the RV store.  But something new I learned about pressurizing the system, via fresh tank.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I found a GREAT truck wash in Goliad.  it was just to the left of the light about 1/4 mile when heading North it was called Suddz car Wash.  Had FANTASTIC pressure.  Cleanest I have gotten the trailer without spending a ton of time with a brush in years.  Coming from the coast, I want to get the salt off and moderate rather than high pressure, makes the job a LOT more time consuming.  So check this place out as the pressure if fantastic, and easy in and out!

Anyhow good maiden voyage in 8 months without any major issues.  I will make a suggestion to any of you who like the coast in October, book a month at I.B.MaGee in Port A for the month of October.  It's past Hurricane season (usually) and we figured with the cost of hauling back and forth twice in October was half the $620 monthly rent cost.  I think Troph made the suggestion a while back about potentially getting a group together at the coast to watch the Texas/OU game.  IF you are so inclined I might suggest you make a reservation at IB Magee in October.

Save travels and tight lines!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anybody have a recommendation for a place to get the trailer inspection done, in NW Austin or Cedar Park?  Obviously easy entrance and egress whilst towing the RV, is an important factor.

I normally just have the dealer do it when they do the annual service on the extended warranty, but due to the long service wait times resulting since COVID started, I'm now out of sync, and I need to get the trailer registration done this month.

Edited by utee94

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

I was really worried about having a blowout on my now 5 year old tires. 

Bruh. 

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

losing leverage from tire contact with the ground to take the lug nuts off and be fubar on the side of the road.

Being an 18” section of 4x4 with you. You can wedge it, or pull up on it and the tire/rim won’t spin. 

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bruh. 

Bring a n 18” section of 4x4 1/2" dewalt 20V impact with you. You can wedge it, or pull up on it and the tire/rim won’t spin.    blast the lug nuts off in 20s or use it to lower/raise stabilizers. That and a 20V blower are my favorite RV cordless tools.

Lol at triggered FF and fixed.      

Yeah impact works too.  Sometimes. I lost a tire on a flatbed pulling a tractor home once and it wasn’t happening.  I keep a big break over bar with me now for those trailers that are…neglected.   But on my good stuff, yeah, a nice impact ftw.  As you can imagine, neglected=old ass tires=blowout on Sunday PM in Odem area.  It was July and it SUCKED. 

Any one know of any good places in the New Braunfels area they like?  I realize I might be late to get a spot this year, but was also thinking about in the Fall.  The wife would prefer full hookups but I'm sure that might be very hard to come by next to the Guadalupe.  We drove river road to look at a few places a year or so ago, but forgot who looked good and not so good.

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Anybody have a recommendation for a place to get the trailer inspection done, in NW Austin or Cedar Park?  Obviously easy entrance and egress whilst towing the RV, is an important factor.

I normally just have the dealer do it when they do the annual service on the extended warranty, but due to the long service wait times resulting since COVID started, I'm now out of sync, and I need to get the trailer registration done this month.

I guess yours is heavy?  I just registered mine in Texas a couple weeks ago and I didn’t need an inspection- pretty sure the clerk said 10k lbs or over. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess yours is heavy?  I just registered mine in Texas a couple weeks ago and I didn’t need an inspection- pretty sure the clerk said 10k lbs or over. 

Mine's 6500 dry and has always needed an inspection before I can register.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Mine's 6500 dry and has always needed an inspection before I can register.

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

So the number is 7500 lbs. if your is 6500 dry, just put down 900 lbs as carry weight. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

So the number is 7500 lbs. if your is 6500 dry, just put down 900 lbs as carry weight. 

Whatever's on the registration docs filed with the state 4 year ago when I bought it, is what they go by.  The system won't even let me register without the inspection being performed.  I suppose I could go into the office and have them change it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

Any one know of any good places in the New Braunfels area they like?  I realize I might be late to get a spot this year, but was also thinking about in the Fall.  The wife would prefer full hookups but I'm sure that might be very hard to come by next to the Guadalupe.  We drove river road to look at a few places a year or so ago, but forgot who looked good and not so good.

Thanks in advance.

Were going to be at KKL on river road here in a few weeks.  We enjoyed it last year. You back right up to the water. I’ve got pics posted up thread somewhere. It was pretty much booked out solid but we found a few days somehow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

Whatever's on the registration docs filed with the state 4 year ago when I bought it, is what they go by.  The system won't even let me register without the inspection being performed.  I suppose I could go into the office and have them change it.

It is possible that you may be able to go to the manufacturer and get the weight certification? I also know that I have the dry weight decal on the A frame and I think the same on that Aluminum plate with all the vehicle specifics.  

I know the folks that sold me mine said to hang onto that piece of paper. It would be worth doing the research. If successful you could renew online WITHOUT an inspection.  If you have a binder from the prior owner, it might be buried in that documentation.  which reminds me I need to make sure I can lay my hands on that for the next eventual owner in the future.  I also saw a shit ton of videos on how to reduce trailer weight on my cursory search.  So if you need to strip out the weight there's a lot of info on that.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Were going to be at KKL on river road here in a few weeks.  We enjoyed it last year. You back right up to the water. I’ve got pics posted up thread somewhere. It was pretty much booked out solid but we found a few days somehow.  

Thanks. Looks pretty good with hookups and multiple locations.  I just wish like on so many websites you could see the available days.  With a 10% cancelation policy, I am sure there are "last minute" cancellatons.

I figure that anything premium is a year out, on any of the River areas. on the KL site that is weekends only by the way, "2023 Advance Reservations Must be Secured by: 10 / 01 / 2022."  Same way we book "the Other Place" on the Comal every year.  I still will shell out for The Other Place as it's a tradition, and I just like being able to float the river at night on the loop around the property.  It's just a gem.

I also started looking at the Gruene Hall music calendar, and thought a 3 day weekend trip built around food and music might be fun as well!  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

It is possible that you may be able to go to the manufacturer and get the weight certification? I also know that I have the dry weight decal on the A frame and I think the same on that Aluminum plate with all the vehicle specifics.  

I know the folks that sold me mine said to hang onto that piece of paper. It would be worth doing the research. If successful you could renew online WITHOUT an inspection.  If you have a binder from the prior owner, it might be buried in that documentation.  which reminds me I need to make sure I can lay my hands on that for the next eventual owner in the future.  I also saw a shit ton of videos on how to reduce trailer weight on my cursory search.  So if you need to strip out the weight there's a lot of info on that.

Thanks.  I don't really feel the need to strip out weight, it's working extremely well so no worries there.  If I can figure out a way to change the paperwork and NOT have to get it inspected every year, I'm all for it.  If not, then that's okay, too.

And the previous owner is the dealer, I bought it new, and they filed the original paperwork.  Not sure I've ever even seen it, though it's probably in the big binder they gave me.

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thanks.  I don't really feel the need to strip out weight, it's working extremely well so no worries there.  If I can figure out a way to change the paperwork and NOT have to get it inspected every year, I'm all for it.  If not, then that's okay, too.

And the previous owner is the dealer, I bought it new, and they filed the original paperwork.  Not sure I've ever even seen it, though it's probably in the big binder they gave me.

It may be that my Gross is under 7500.  If your dry weight is 6500 I imagine you could carry another 1500 pounds to make the gross weight rating 8000 pounds and thus over the limit to register un-inspected.  So if that's the case my advice is worth crap... 😉

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

It may be that my Gross is under 7500.  If your dry weight is 6500 I imagine you could carry another 1500 pounds to make the gross weight rating 8000 pounds and thus over the limit to register un-inspected.  So if that's the case my advice is worth crap... 😉

Yeah it's rated to carry 3,000 lbs, so if the paperwork includes that into the gross, then it's 9500 lbs.  Fully wet and loaded I doubt I've ever had it more than around 8-8.5K.

@utee94 I’ve had to get one changed once, and it was a pia as I recall. I remember when they changed the law on brakes too, to anything under 5k iirc.  I remember my boat trailer was rated at 4,999 and has 7k worth of axles under it.   Can’t help you with Austin, but the place I use in Houston said “did you tow it here”?  Uh, yeah. “Good enough for me”.  Done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Shop that did mine last year looked at my insurance, vin on the trailer, lights worked, and the reflectors.  Brakes is listed but didn't do anything with those.   I parked on a side road next to the shop and they walked out back to look at it. Took all of 5 mins. 

4 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I'm pretty sure the inspection is just lights and brakes.

" To pass the safety inspection, the trailer must have an operational brake system, tires and wheel assembly that meets requirements, and all lights - tail lights, brake lights, license plate light, side-marker lights and clearance lights - must be operational. Also, the trailer must have side and rear reflectors."

My dealership checked everything listed above closely, but I hear lots of inspection shops are like @fattyflattie says and if it got there, that's good enough.

Honestly I don't care how tough the place is, the trailer's in great shape and will pass just fine.  I'm more concerned about ease of entrance/egress.  I have a friend who recommended one place up north, but when I drove by to check it out, it would have been extremely difficult to drag my 32' travel trailer through it.  

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Honestly I don't care how tough the place is, the trailer's in great shape and will pass just fine.  I'm more concerned about ease of entrance/egress.  I have a friend who recommended one place up north, but when I drove by to check it out, it would have been extremely difficult to drag my 32' travel trailer through it.  

No I gotcha.  I'm the same way, open checkbook and in ship shape.  I just thought it was funny that was their attitude.  The only reason I picked that place was because of the ingress/egress, and I guess I got lucky.  Less than a mile from the house, too.    With 36' bumper pull, the access plays big time into it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Well boo. Got mine out of storage tonight for a weekend trip and the fridge is busted. 

Blinking red light error code, google says the control board needs to be replaced.

Gonna have to get by with coolers and ice old school styles.

Well boo. Got mine out of storage tonight for a weekend trip and the fridge is busted. 
Blinking red light error code, google says the control board needs to be replaced.

That sucks. Is it a ac/gas absorption fridge or one of the new 12vdc ones?

Norcold 2-way absorption style. And I can't just run on propane instead or anything because it's the control board that is busted, not any one power source.

Ah, again that sucks. Ice chest it is although I have have a mini fridge in my outdoor kitchen area that I use for cooling drinks. Would press it into food service if my main crapped out. Hope you can find a replacement board easily and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I think most of the boards are accessible from the outside of the unit. if your unit is post 2006 looks like Amazon might be able to get it to you overnight.

https://www.amazon.com/NORCOLD-INC-Norcold-628661-Refrigerator/dp/B0031XMOBQ/ref=asc_df_B0031XMOBQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241895364904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9930704994971576465&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028322&hvtargid=pla-570121337728&psc=1

$111 prime overnight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had to replace a control board on my 3-way in the Airstream, it was accessible from the outside hatch and wasn't too tough.

But ice and coolers works, too.  Keeps your beer even colder and that's what's most important.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to replace a control board on my 3-way in the Airstream, it was accessible from the outside hatch and wasn't too tough.
But ice and coolers works, too.  Keeps your beer even colder and that's what's most important.

Beer always rides in the 70qt rtic but when I’m cooking I pull an on-deck and in-the-hole beer from the ice chest and put next to the cooling plate in the mini fridge. Usually have some beer slush by the time I’m ready for them.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, davidg said:

Beer always rides in the 70qt rtic but when I’m cooking I pull an on-deck and in-the-hole beer from the ice chest and put next to the cooling plate in the mini fridge. Usually have some beer slush by the time I’m ready for them.

My little fridge in the outdoor kitchen will damn near freeze them. I prefer an ice chest, but we load that little one to the brim and find ourselves grabbing from there. Plus easier for my kids to fetch for me. 

Took the camper and kayaks to Village Creek SP last weekend. The SP is pretty small with 25 elec/water sites and another loop with walk-in tent sites.  It was just me and the wife and we really just used the camper as a base for kayaking on Village Creek.  We had a small site that was mostly asphalt with a couple of decomposed granite tent spots.   The picnic table and campfire ring were withing 5' of the trailer.   The shower/bath house was fairly new and the park hosts kept it in good shape.    We took a ranger lead night hike through an 80 acre area that had been logged and re planted with native long-leaf pine.  Ranger said they were trying to establish native cover back in the park areas.   

image.thumb.jpeg.c9e2445dca64a3a4055e16c463eb3905.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Have a question I need help with. So my trailer battery is down to 1/3. Is there anyway to charge the battery besides plugging in the trailer to the truck and running it? I don't have a 30 amp outlet at the house. Do they make an 8 pin to regular extension cord adapter that could do this? Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Are you talking about recharging it on the road or “in the field” vs charging at home?  The fact that you are talking about a 30 amp circuit at the house makes me think you are talking g about home. Just a regular battery charger?

Edited by Lhorn

Get an adapter, something like this, Conntek 14101 15A to TT-30R RV Plug Adapter , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO4WCS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_279S9KQX4P0CS1V3ZY8X

Plug into the house. I assume you mean you are near a normal 110 plug. Use your 30 amp shore plug. Not sure what you mean by the 8pin.

Edited by Hawndoh

I'm a dumb ass and ment 7 pin.  I'm looking to charge the battery at home so I can pre cool the fridge using propane. If the battery is dead propane suts off. I have a 110 to 30 amp plug adapter but was wondering if I plug that in, will it charge the battery? I just don't want to burn the house down trying to do that. Guess I need a high quality extension cord from house to adapter?

28 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m sure some do. Mine doesn’t charge when plugged into the house, but you can run the fridge off AC while at the house. I just toss it on the charger when home. 

Really?  Standard RV wiring should charge a travel trailer or 5th wheel RV's "house battery" through the RV's converter whilst plugged into shore power, that's been standard since the 60s at least   It won't charge the starter battery on a motorhome/drivable RV, because that's a separate system altogether.

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Have a question I need help with. So my trailer battery is down to 1/3. Is there anyway to charge the battery besides plugging in the trailer to the truck and running it? I don't have a 30 amp outlet at the house. Do they make an 8 pin to regular extension cord adapter that could do this? Any suggestions are appreciated. 

You should be able to plug it into your home's outlets using a 30A-20A adapter like the one Hawndoh posted.  For just charging batteries or running the RV fridge, it won't draw enough current to endanger the power cord or house circuitry.

If you're trying to run the A/C, then you'd definitely want to use a heavy gauge extension cord and keep an eye on all of the connections.  Arcing can happen where the connecters meet, if they're not adequate for the power being drawn through them.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Really?  Standard RV wiring should charge a travel trailer or 5th wheel RV's "house battery" through the RV's converter whilst plugged into shore power, that's been standard since the 60s at least   It won't charge the starter battery on a motorhome/drivable RV, because that's a separate system altogether.

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

I guess it might but never seemed like it. I quit paying attention when I installed a disconnect, haven’t had any battery issues since. I used to just throw the batts on a 2a slow charge for a few hours and back in business.