The all encompassing RV thread

troph

Yeah, team drain, blow out lines and then antifreeze in the p traps here.  And that was only for the big freeze.  We camped the weekend before and 2 weeks after so I probably won't do anything until several days below freezing is expected. 

As for the drains, I think the OP has them figured out correctly.  Can't say about the outlet without knowing how its connected.  For the antenna,  could look at something like the Wingard 360+ and add the Winegard cellular router or just get one of the weBoost Connect RV65 boosters and directional antenna.  

Heading to Palo Duro Canyon with the travel trailer for the week of Thanksgiving. Stopping over in Snyder on the way up.  Any pointers on hikes to do and other must sees? I know we are staying in Mesquite camp ground and definitely going to hit the lighthouse trail. 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:15 AM, George said:

We’ve had our new rig out a couple of times and other than the dog predictably running through the screen door everything seems to work well. Hoping y’all can help me identify a few things. 

1. I’m trying to figure out what this plug is for.  The cord coming off of the bottom is what connects to land power.  We do have an onboard generator so not sure if it has something to do with that. 

4B491996-41A0-40B9-B6A2-BC5BC41DA287.thumb.jpeg.64e2fbe80e1b3142d8a19526b14834b6.jpeg

2. can you help me identify these valves? I think the red might be tied to the water holding tank. Assume the two on the blue pex are the low water drains. To winterize I assume just open those up to clear lines, drain water heater, then add some antifreeze?

F79E6F63-3623-413B-8219-042EB65590F7.thumb.jpeg.38a28fc2e5a32c517f32c18858c1f086.jpeg

1. My guess is it looks like a previous owner installed this outlet to allow another trailer to plug into yours and also use your onboard generator?   

2. That red valve is already open, is your freshwater tank drained here?

And like everyone above I don't use antifreeze anywhere except the traps in the drains. I drain everything and blow out the lines with the air compressor. 

And don't forget to run your water pump dry after you drain your freshwater tank.

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My guess on the red valve is it gates the water heater plumbing.  Unless you find another valve  that more obviously does that. 

The red pvc valve is piped directly into the poly tank in the back ground that has some red/rust colored paint on it.  The outlet of the valve has a 90 down through the floor material with some spray foam around it.  It is definitely a fresh water tank drain.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:03 PM, CoachTex said:

Heading to Palo Duro Canyon with the travel trailer for the week of Thanksgiving. Stopping over in Snyder on the way up.  Any pointers on hikes to do and other must sees? I know we are staying in Mesquite camp ground and definitely going to hit the lighthouse trail. 

Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon

keep your fingers crossed it doesn't blow in a Panhandle blizzard while your there.....I've shoveled snow on Thanksgiving more than once 

• Hook 'Em 1

100C7819-0581-48CC-8313-82412E910196.thumb.jpeg.889d715639e4cd2248395ff626caab13.jpeg

I just wanted to share my latest experience.  We planned a trip to Palo Duro Canyon SP and knew we wanted a TT for the stay.  I was trying to figure out how to rent one and tow it up there with my truck when my wife found the option to have one set up and waiting for us when we got there.  Wow, talk about making a trip more fun.  Everything was ready when we pulled up at midnight except my wife wanted to change the sheets to ones she brought.  We reserved the site for an extra day so the owner could pick it up after noon on the day we left or before noon the next day.

I'll add some pictures 

0521AE9D-8FA8-406B-B0CE-8A08708DCAED.jpeg

77F7E738-CFB6-4F6E-86DE-98F93F5C9B93.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 11/8/2021 at 8:03 PM, CoachTex said:

I went in October, see above.  lighthouse is the best one.  We enjoyed the horseback riding.  We also went to the big cave and some smaller ones.  we had some small kids with us

• Hook 'Em 1

Spent the weekend at Blanco state park. Can’t really recommend- it’s right off of 281 so there’s traffic noise plus the only hiking trail is less than a mile long. 

but much more annoyingly, there were a couple of people there that felt they could keep their dog off leash and let them roam. This is FALSE.  Makes it stressful always being on guard for a “friendly” dog to walk into out spot and put itself at risk of our dogs protecting us. 
and I saw some little girl get scared shitless from walking her puppy as she walked by and someone’s malinois looking dog ran at them. The owner was in no hurry to gain control of her animal and I never heard her apologize. 

• Rage+1 3

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Spent the weekend at Blanco state park. Can’t really recommend- it’s right off of 281 so there’s traffic noise plus the only hiking trail is less than a mile long. 

but much more annoyingly, there were a couple of people there that felt they could keep their dog off leash and let them roam. This is FALSE.  Makes it stressful always being on guard for a “friendly” dog to walk into out spot and put itself at risk of our dogs protecting us. 
and I saw some little girl get scared shitless from walking her puppy as she walked by and someone’s malinois looking dog ran at them. The owner was in no hurry to gain control of her animal and I never heard her apologize. 

Had the same thing happened to me at Garner this summer. My dog is a 30 lbs mutt with little man syndrome.  Dog from another site comes wondering over and my dog goes ape shit defending his turf. Owners didn't know until they heard my dog barking. Wonder over and told me not to worry that his dog is friendly. WTF?

13 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Had the same thing happened to me at Garner this summer. My dog is a 30 lbs mutt with little man syndrome.  Dog from another site comes wondering over and my dog goes ape shit defending his turf. Owners didn't know until they heard my dog barking. Wonder over and told me not to worry that his dog is friendly. WTF?

People that do that are the worst.

Well. not as bad as murderers and rapists, but definitely worse than graffiti vandals.

• Haha 2

meh, are these leash mandatory areas?

I get just as pissed going somewhere relatively isolated and have another group park within 100 yards with their asshole/psycho dogs that they would never take out in public otherwise. 

If your dog is a psycho asshole barking nutjob piece of shit, don't take him anywhere except your private ranch or island.

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

meh, are these leash mandatory areas?

I get just as pissed going somewhere relatively isolated and have another group park within 100 yards with their asshole/psycho dogs that they would never take out in public otherwise. 

If your dog is a psycho asshole barking nutjob piece of shit, don't take him anywhere except your private ranch or island.

Both can be true.

Psycho barking dogs that never go outside are bad.  Unleashed dogs in leash-mandatory areas (which applies to all campsites in state parks in Texas) are bad too.  Asshole owners are responsible for both. 

It's very simple-- don't be an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the trailer up to our family property last weekend and stayed for a couple of nights.  Didn't do much other than check a few game camera's, shoot a few guns and cook.  Had the generator and actually ran the A/C for a bit on Friday evening when it was muggy.  First time doing that with the genset and happy to see it worked ok.  Nice weekend with the wife and son.

We always bring the trailer to the house the day before a trip to load up and get the fridge cooled off.  When hooking up the power I noticed that the 50a twistlock wasn't really clicking in like it should.  I messed with it a bit a little piece of plastic fell out and then it twisted ok.  I looked and it just seemed like one of the edges and wasn't a big deal.    Fastforward to the next day when connecting at camp and the whole inside of the connector had broken away.  Opps.  Was able to remove the outside cover and fish the plug part back out and connect with the cord and wrap the whole thing with duct tape and was good for the weekend. You can see my trash bag weather proofing in the last pic. I've had the a spare receptacle and connector on my spare parts amazon list since we bought the trailer but never got around to ordering them.   Well, they should arrive tonight and I should be good to go on the next trip.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.6c86578c4bd40394cf5dbf87ab4f757e.jpg

1527343514_IMG_9004-Copy.thumb.jpg.fe281bbe5dd297f17c150d43bb7e9c19.jpg

IMG_9013.thumb.jpg.a6414c098f45771c27ec4826be637578.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

@davidg that looks like a beautiful place. 

My most recent camper story sucks. Went to lease last weekend with the fam.  Hooked into city water and started hooking everything up and get set.  Water was pouring out the bottom of back wall. Ugh.  Not the time and definitely not the place to start removing everything so we just shut off the water and womenz had to use the camp house shower/toilets (nightmare fuel for them, lol).  So I’m about to become an RV mechanic/plumber/electrician in a hurry.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

@davidg that looks like a beautiful place. 

My most recent camper story sucks. Went to lease last weekend with the fam.  Hooked into city water and started hooking everything up and get set.  Water was pouring out the bottom of back wall. Ugh.  Not the time and definitely not the place to start removing everything so we just shut off the water and womenz had to use the camp house shower/toilets (nightmare fuel for them, lol).  So I’m about to become an RV mechanic/plumber/electrician in a hurry.  

Get you some pex tools, brass elbows & tees, some pex tube and crimps.  Also need a few hose clamps and the brass 1/2 NPS to pex elbow that are used on faucets and valves.  The plastic ones used by the mfr break, same as the plastic check valve on the water heaters. I use a couple of the Klein zipper bags to keep plumbing and electrical supplies/spare parts organized in a tube that goes in the pass through.  Works great since I can grab a bag and my normal tool bag and get to work.  While your at it, add some thermal fuses for the water heater and a sail switch for the furnace and you will cover the most common failure issues with those systems.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Get you some pex tools, brass elbows & tees, some pex tube and crimps.  Also need a few hose clamps and the brass 1/2 NPS to pex elbow that are used on faucets and valves.  The plastic ones used by the mfr break, same as the plastic check valve on the water heaters. I use a couple of the Klein zipper bags to keep plumbing and electrical supplies/spare parts organized in a tube that goes in the pass through.  Works great since I can grab a bag and my normal tool bag and get to work.  While your at it, add some thermal fuses for the water heater and a sail switch for the furnace and you will cover the most common failure issues with those systems.

Crazy thing is we made it thru the freeze (I blew out the lines and drained heater, etc) and went camping once or twice last summer with no issues.  I'll get it figured out, and glad the leak appears to be where it is, but man it was nice not having to mess with it.  Such is RV life, I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...

How old is your trailer and what brand is the regulator?   My 2021 trailer had a recall on all of this model of automatic switchover Winntec regulator.  They would over pressure and I think they have caused at least one fire.  Mine went out during a trip but I had already purchased a spare regulator and just put it in and bought another spare.  They are only about $50 and it would cost me that in fuel and tolls to get it to my dealer and back.

D69B8E46-57B9-4546-B9E0-3ACE46B5567F.jpeg

13 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It’s about 10 years old.  No idea the brand.  I’ll check it out next time I go look at it.  I just didn’t know if it’s common and just  a part that wears out.  

I would think anything on these things at 10 years is fair game.  I wanted to replace mine with something a bit fancier and all the reviews scared me off.  Going to be watching this to see what y’all end up with.  

Well I’m not going to replace it with anything fancy.  I don’t even really want any gas stuff .  It’s just a pop up so to me it’s just a step up from tent camping .  I don’t even use the inside stove not the outside stove quick connect, nor the water heater.  But my wife likes to run the gas heater for the handful of nights a year where we cold weather camp without electric hookups. 

we so messed up 2021 and I mean really we needed a 13th and 14th month for RVing, we did NONE.  classic I'm sure, but we are coming back. I really miss the boondocking, but we need to try out all systems before we do that so headed to the coast I think for Feb holiday. haven't used it since the bad storm so may even need to give them a go in the city first.  I need to practice my fly cast in the surf and in the bay so we may just load up on some fishing trips when we get down there. can't figure out if SPI or PINS for fishing, I'll go post on that thread.  but we are planning a colorado resurgence this summer!  let's get it going. f the haters.

2 hours ago, troph said:

we so messed up 2021 and I mean really we needed a 13th and 14th month for RVing, we did NONE.  classic I'm sure, but we are coming back. I really miss the boondocking, but we need to try out all systems before we do that so headed to the coast I think for Feb holiday. haven't used it since the bad storm so may even need to give them a go in the city first.  I need to practice my fly cast in the surf and in the bay so we may just load up on some fishing trips when we get down there. can't figure out if SPI or PINS for fishing, I'll go post on that thread.  but we are planning a colorado resurgence this summer!  let's get it going. f the haters.

I also live vicariously through you in this thread, so hopefully you ignore the haters and stick around.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:53 AM, troph said:

I would say PINS.  Simply as the storm that took out the Bob Hall Pier also opened up the width of the beach considerably.   I would probably do one day in one of the parks nearby to fill up and sanitize the freshwater tanks overnight, then flush everything and refill for boondocking. This would also allow me to drive/fish PINS and figure out where I felt comfortable parking my trailer on the beach. Also shorter drive...

Just winterized my rig last weekend after using in the driveway as a temp covid camper.  My adding a disconnect to the battery for storage actually surprised me in that the battery still had a pretty darn good charge on it.  Ran the lights and heater for more than a day after a short tow, and I forgot to turn on the Breaker for the 30 amp at the house. The lack of battery power caused the heater to click repeatedly and not kicking on... Luckily I dug into the unit as one of the vents had come loose. Before I realized it was my own stupidity not turning on the breaker leaving the trailer on only battery power.  I suggest if you take your trailer much off road that you buy some of the silver AC tape and secure the half turn vent attachments (if you have vented heat).  Mine was hanging loose as there was a slight twist to the vent tube that torqued it off after some bouncing around.  So the vent was exhausting through the intake. and every one of the connections leaked like a sieve. A little silver tape allowed both security and greater efficiency.

I jalso ust bought another propane tank from COSTCO with a gauge on it, and filled up all my tanks.  In anticipation of another ERCOT screw up, Snowpocolypse. Trailer saved our ass last year!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, horn4life said:

My adding a disconnect to the battery for storage actually surprised me in that the battery still had a pretty darn good charge on it. 

I’ve got a disconnect here in the garage waiting to be installed after deer season. I’ve just been breaking the connection loose and the batt stays fresh. Don’t know what was running it down, but it would do so in a hurry when stored. 

Got the trailer in the driveway loading up ready to head out to our place in a couple of hours. Replaced the power inlet last night after sourcing one here in town. I had ordered a replacement 50A inlet from etrailer after our last trip but didnt look at the box until last night and they shipped me a 30a inlet instead of the 50a. I guess I’ll have a spare after they ship me the correct one.

Any one else taking advantage of the long weekend?

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve got a disconnect here in the garage waiting to be installed after deer season. I’ve just been breaking the connection loose and the batt stays fresh. Don’t know what was running it down, but it would do so in a hurry when stored. 

Yeah I installed a disconnect on my old RV but haven't put one on the new RV yet.  So I just detach the lines from the battery terminals each time I stow it.  The battery has stayed surprisingly fresh as a result, even after a couple months of storage at various times.

10 hours ago, horn4life said:

I would say PINS.  Simply as the storm that took out the Bob Hall Pier also opened up the width of the beach considerably.   I would probably do one day in one of the parks nearby to fill up and sanitize the freshwater tanks overnight, then flush everything and refill for boondocking. This would also allow me to drive/fish PINS and figure out where I felt comfortable parking my trailer on the beach. Also shorter drive...

Just winterized my rig last weekend after using in the driveway as a temp covid camper.  My adding a disconnect to the battery for storage actually surprised me in that the battery still had a pretty darn good charge on it.  Ran the lights and heater for more than a day after a short tow, and I forgot to turn on the Breaker for the 30 amp at the house. The lack of battery power caused the heater to click repeatedly and not kicking on... Luckily I dug into the unit as one of the vents had come loose. Before I realized it was my own stupidity not turning on the breaker leaving the trailer on only battery power.  I suggest if you take your trailer much off road that you buy some of the silver AC tape and secure the half turn vent attachments (if you have vented heat).  Mine was hanging loose as there was a slight twist to the vent tube that torqued it off after some bouncing around.  So the vent was exhausting through the intake. and every one of the connections leaked like a sieve. A little silver tape allowed both security and greater efficiency.

I jalso ust bought another propane tank from COSTCO with a gauge on it, and filled up all my tanks.  In anticipation of another ERCOT screw up, Snowpocolypse. Trailer saved our ass last year!

so I need you fellas to help me make sure I don't make the high life highlight reel, no boats so my nightmare of making qualified captain is not a possibility. the question - beach camping with a heavy ass F350 and a heavy ass 5th wheel - how does it work, what do I avoid, how do I turn around without getting fucked in the sand, do I need an anchor and winch to get myself out?  is 4x4 alone enough? do I need a safety buddy like in scuba in case I get fucked, who do I call besides ghostbusters if I get stuck. do I have nothing to worry about?  never done it.  gonna do it.  I'm guessing the north part of the beach.  or should I look for a camping spot, I think the beach.  I'm thinking beer and fishing out my front porch sounds amazing. hope it ain't titty freezing cold and the fish are bitting Feb 17-21. I've struck out too much lately. speaking of, is right there any decent fishing?  taking spinner and fly rods (8/12wts).

Edited by troph

19 hours ago, troph said:

so I need you fellas to help me make sure I don't make the high life highlight reel, no boats so my nightmare of making qualified captain is not a possibility. the question - beach camping with a heavy ass F350 and a heavy ass 5th wheel - how does it work, what do I avoid, how do I turn around without getting fucked in the sand, do I need an anchor and winch to get myself out?  is 4x4 alone enough? do I need a safety buddy like in scuba in case I get fucked, who do I call besides ghostbusters if I get stuck. do I have nothing to worry about?  never done it.  gonna do it.  I'm guessing the north part of the beach.  or should I look for a camping spot, I think the beach.  I'm thinking beer and fishing out my front porch sounds amazing. hope it ain't titty freezing cold and the fish are bitting Feb 17-21. I've struck out too much lately. speaking of, is right there any decent fishing?  taking spinner and fly rods (8/12wts).

so I think we are going to be fine on this.  lower your tire pressure (we have a good compact air compressor), use water if you get stuck to compact the sand, use tracks and possibly 2x6 or sheets of ply wood, etc. etc.  bring a shovel. I think we will be ok on that front.  I want the winch, will get one at some point but not right now.

question for the beach campers... staying in the compact sand with a 40 foot fifth wheel is a bit difficult when you need to turn around. 

how do you manage the turn around which would be required on our end simply for positioning correctly with the doors toward the ocean?

I would be afraid to do a tight turn, a wide turn and would most certainly be afraid to do a back and forth multi-point turn.

please explain to me how you do it.

Edited by troph