2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 1:47 PM, LTtxfan said:

I couldn't figure out what this meant, exactly. There are two sports marketing agencies out there called Leverage (one of them needs to sue the other).  This apparently is an internal program gearing up for likeness sales and whatnot.  https://texassports.com/news/2020/8/31/texas-athletics-to-help-student-athletes-leverage-their-platform.aspx

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Healthy meaning injuries?  Or Covid?

That'd be kind of cool if Ashley was able to become sort of the "utility" sub for setter and attacker.  Got to admire her dedication to the team.

I'd love such a role for her. 

I loved when Dalton would sub in as setter and defender.  Those kind of utility roles are huge for championship teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So is Sydney not at L kind of a test or more of a plan?

She’s been rotating in. O’Brien is so good and Iosia is a stud  

Cabello didn’t dress out 

Middle connection doesn’t look great. 

Edited by Js1

Yes, it was sloppy, but it was also on the road against our most hated team and the first match of the season. I certainly wasn't expecting perfection, but the serving still should've been better. Giving 5 free points a set won't get it done against the best teams.

Anyone who knew anything about Morgan knew she would take over libero from day 1. Her serving alone makes it worth it considering how bad the rest of the team is. Nalani looks like she'll have a great serve in time. Molly looked pretty good at OH, although I wonder if she'll be able to continue the way she is when other teams have film of her. She's never going to be a power hitter, no weight in her arm and shoulder. If you ever stand next to her you know what a rail she is.

I would like to know more about the players that didn't play. They did say Madison will be available in Jan. I suppose that has something to do with HS credits. We know the situation with Melanie, but does anyone know anything about Capri? We could sure use another OH. Naomi didn't play either, but Ashley was only in for a couple of points so that's probably making sure Jhenna gets comfortable with the offense.

This team has a lot of talent, just have to get it in sync.

Actually, given the circumstances, I'd say it's the best season opener we've had in a while.  Swept a sentient opponent on their floor.

I didn't see a whole lot of what seemed to be systemic problems, other that whatever the fuck it is about serving the last few years.  And I think we've established in the past that, while annoying, not markedly different from other teams, statistically, that strive to be aggressive at the service line.

Agree with Twice, definitely a good opener.  If Morgan came in and took the job from Sydney, that alone says our back row defense will be better, and it looked as much.  It took a set for Jhenna to get the timing with O'Neal and Butler.  Nalani dialed back her serve in the 2nd set and Logan did so in the 3rd, and that helped both of them.  Looking for another sooner spanking tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Pogo said:

Agree with Twice, definitely a good opener.  If Morgan came in and took the job from Sydney, that alone says our back row defense will be better, and it looked as much.  It took a set for Jhenna to get the timing with O'Neal and Butler.  Nalani dialed back her serve in the 2nd set and Logan did so in the 3rd, and that helped both of them.  Looking for another sooner spanking tonight.

Yep, the Jhenna/MB disconnect didn't seem to persist for long, although it was pretty glaring at first.  I couldn't quite tell on defense what was rust and what was improvement/decline by substitution.  By the end, I wasn't paying much attention (i.e. it wasn't pissing me off), so I think it was improvement.