2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

Okay, I have some random ramblings about the first of the season: 

(1) I am liking the quicker offense sets to the outsides - I have always thought that we have relied too much on the talent/athleticism of our big hitters to hit around or over the block, but it also gave the blockers so much more time to get over and get set (especially the huge Stanford block). I think Gabriel is still working on connections, and some of the sets seemed to come off her hands kinda funky... hopefully it will get there. 

(2) Defense/serve receive so far seems to be a positive improvement. L O'Brien has been so good at not trying to be fancy, but consistently digging quality balls in the middle of the court, giving the Gabriel more setting options. I also think Iosia has been fairly solid, and I thought she has been better in serve receive than Peterson.

(3) Do we have any more info about Capri Davis? Elliott said she was week to week for undisclosed reasons, but there hasnt been anything else mentioned that I can find (source https://www.hookem.com/story/20200923/focusing-just-big-12-now-texas-readies-long-awaited-return-volleyball/). I know she had an injury last year, and other off court issues. Interesting that with Davis not playing, Elliott is worried about depth: “My biggest concern is just depth,” Elliott said. “Right now, we have five attackers. If anyone goes down, we’re going to have to probably lean on a setter to be a hitter.” Which is something that Shook transfering probably makes it even more worrisome.  

(4) I am liking the new jerseys, and I personally find the Frank Erwin court more visually appealing than the black outline at Gregory.

I am looking forward to seeing how the weird season plays out, and hopefully we can get some spring games. I also hope everyone stays healthy - injury and illness wise

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

O’Brien is legit. I cannot believe how lucky we were to get her. And technically 2 years bc this season doesn’t count 

It feels like she’s always where she’s supposed to be 

Yep, yep.  And, Sydney is probably an upgrade on non-libero defenders.  As is the new girl.

2 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

Okay, I have some random ramblings about the first of the season: 

(1) I am liking the quicker offense sets to the outsides - I have always thought that we have relied too much on the talent/athleticism of our big hitters to hit around or over the block, but it also gave the blockers so much more time to get over and get set (especially the huge Stanford block). I think Gabriel is still working on connections, and some of the sets seemed to come off her hands kinda funky... hopefully it will get there. 

(2) Defense/serve receive so far seems to be a positive improvement. L O'Brien has been so good at not trying to be fancy, but consistently digging quality balls in the middle of the court, giving the Gabriel more setting options. I also think Iosia has been fairly solid, and I thought she has been better in serve receive than Peterson.

(3) Do we have any more info about Capri Davis? Elliott said she was week to week for undisclosed reasons, but there hasnt been anything else mentioned that I can find (source https://www.hookem.com/story/20200923/focusing-just-big-12-now-texas-readies-long-awaited-return-volleyball/). I know she had an injury last year, and other off court issues. Interesting that with Davis not playing, Elliott is worried about depth: “My biggest concern is just depth,” Elliott said. “Right now, we have five attackers. If anyone goes down, we’re going to have to probably lean on a setter to be a hitter.” Which is something that Shook transfering probably makes it even more worrisome.  

(4) I am liking the new jerseys, and I personally find the Frank Erwin court more visually appealing than the black outline at Gregory.

I am looking forward to seeing how the weird season plays out, and hopefully we can get some spring games. I also hope everyone stays healthy - injury and illness wise

VolleyTalk says Capri is gone. Madison Williams is still rehabbing. We are a bit thin. 

The only good thing about the April tournament is not rushing Williams and Cabello into playing 

Edited by Js1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Gotta say our new Libero, Madison, seems to be a really nice addition.

She quietly and smoothly gets to a lot of balls.  Cat got to a lot of balls, too, but lots of tumbling and sliding.  Sydney seems to lack just a bit of range, so was strained a little also.

Madison hasn't played yet, and should be an OH. She isn't expected to play until Jan at earliest. I wish I knew what has happened to Davis. We are extremely thin at OH. One thing for sure though, I said before the season started Texas was extremely lucky to get Morgan. She was one of the best libero's on the country last year, and a great server. I don't know why anyone would think she's not legit. I said a month before the season started Morgan would take the libero spot from Sydney. 

Texas finally stopped giving up 5-6 free points/match by just getting the serves in and it showed in the result. All those MW service faults last year just killed momentum. And teams had no trouble returning it no matter how hard it was hit. We've seen some of the same thing with Nalani's serve. Kansas had more trouble with Morgan's serve than Nalani's, but at least she was getting it in. I hope that continues. If this team can stay healthy they will be real good.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, Hard Times said:

Texas finally stopped giving up 5-6 free points/match by just getting the serves in and it showed in the result. All those MW service faults last year just killed momentum. And teams had no trouble returning it no matter how hard it was hit. We've seen some of the same thing with Nalani's serve. Kansas had more trouble with Morgan's serve than Nalani's, but at least she was getting it in. I hope that continues. If this team can stay healthy they will be real good.

THIS!  Morgan is doing what Hahn did - nasty floater that's harder to pass than the Nalani/Micaya/Logan hard jump serve with far fewer errors.

Also, Shook came in to block late in all 3 sets and played the whole last 1/3 of the third set.  Announcers never said anything about her in the portal.  Speaking of announcers, I miss Paul Sunderland.

Just checking.  Nalani and Logan were clearly told to dial the serve back in the 3rd set.  Logan served 3 times in the 2nd set and not one found the court.

ISU is a pretty good defensive team, but ours is still better.  Morgan had a few ridiculous digs.  Skylar had some great kills in big moments.  Molly was outstanding from the opposite side.

Both middles were solid as well.  It looked like they slowed down the timing a little on some of them.  The hitter wasn't quite in the air when Jhenna set the ball.  That threw off the block and made for some easy kills.