Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Where's the part about in your summary about them getting there early to meet someone for coffee, which the guy they were meeting confirmed when he arrived? 

Or how about we just not call and involve the freaking cops and just let it slide and then it never hits the net. Had they been coming in and sitting there every damn day? People loiter around Starbucks all the fucking time.  Calling the cops for that is ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So, to be clear...

1) Starbucks has a policy that you have to be a paying customer to hang out there and/or use the restroom.

2) Some guys, who happen to be black, want to hang out there and/or use the restroom without buying anything.

3) Starbucks employees ask them to leave as they are in violation or the policy.

4) Guys don’t care because they think those policies shouldnt apply to them and refuse to leave private property.

5) Cops are called, some of which also happen to be black.

6) Cops again ask guys to leave as they are now considered to be trespassing.

7) Guys again refuse because not only store policies, but also the law shouldn’t apply to them.

8) Guys are arrested for breaking the law.

9) Bunch of people on the internet get all worked up because it’s racism if you ask black people to obey policies and laws.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen people in Starbucks with no item ordered either just playing on their phone/laptop or waiting for someone to come and they didn't have law enforcement remove them or a manager say anything.  

I'm not saying this magical policy doesn't exist but what I am saying is that it's sure as fuck selectively enforced. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Or how about we just not call and involve the freaking cops and just let it slide and then it never hits the net. Had they been coming in and sitting there every damn day? People loiter around Starbucks all the fucking time.  Calling the cops for that is ridiculous. 

That works for me as well... 

2 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Well, kind of like you said, if a cop comes up to me and says "leave this establishment" after I ask for what reason, if he replies "we were called on you" my options are:

A). Dispute the reason he is asking me to leave - GO TO JAIL

B). Politely choose to take my services elsewhere - NOT GO TO JAIL

Even if I feel undue harassment, I would still think pragmatically (if sober) and choose option B...

A is the problem.  Simply disputing the reason a cop tells you to do something need not and should not = go to jail.  And it doesn't, for many people.  I've had discussions with cops in that exact situation and not gone to jail, because my explanation made clear there was a misunderstanding.

What should have happened, given what has been reported — and perhaps there is more to the story we don't yet know, as I said earlier — is that upon hearing they were meeting someone for coffee, and especially when the guy they were meeting shows up, the cops should go to the store manager and see if he's willing to drop the complaint given the confirmed misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I can't even count the number of times I've seen people in Starbucks with no item ordered either just playing on their phone/laptop or waiting for someone to come and they didn't have law enforcement remove them or a manager say anything.  

I'm not saying this magical policy doesn't exist but what I am saying is that it's sure as fuck selectively enforced. 

Or parents with the loud kids that are untrained & parents are apprehensive to spank the child in public... Fun times getting my coffee & scones...

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

A is the problem.  Simply disputing the reason a cop tells you to do something need not and should not = go to jail.  And it doesn't, for many people.  I've had discussions with cops in that exact situation and not gone to jail, because my explanation made clear there was a misunderstanding.

What should have happened, given what has been reported — and perhaps there is more to the story we don't yet know, as I said earlier — is that upon hearing they were meeting someone for coffee, and especially when the guy they were meeting shows up, the cops should go to the store manager and see if he's willing to drop the complaint given the confirmed misunderstanding. 

Agreed, the problem is that in many cases the ego of the cop outweighs the common sense of what a law abiding citizen is requesting answered...

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Even their white buddy couldn't save them. What is the world coming to when even the white guy couldn't use his whiteness to resolve things? Had he been a brotha he'd be joining them on their trip downtown.

That really is the most disturbing thing about this video. A snappy dressing white dude shows up confirming the black dudes’ story, in a vest no less, and he can’t even prevent the arrest. 

As the great Mike Gundy once said—Where are we at in society?! 

• Like 1

http://6abc.com/what-a-witness-says-happened-during-phila-starbucks-arrests/3342444/?sf186989648=1

Lauren said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

• Like 2

This is on the Starbucks. Police were doing their job. Maybe they could have done it better, but assuming they do it the same for every skin color I don't really find much fault with them. Once somebody is considered trespassing they have every right to make them leave or arrest them. The real issue is why the Starbucks decided to consider them tresspassing.

3 hours ago, zork said:

The discount at Checkers:

How is this in any way relevant to the discussion about two black dudes who may or may not have been justifiably arrested at the Starbucks in Philly? Someone mentioned that minorities don't get a "discount" (which I interpret as given the benefit of doubt) at service establishments. And you counter with this? What exactly are you saying?

a) Checker's is gross? (Yes, I agree and imagine this is a standard part of their food preparation techniques.)

b) A minority fast food worker is giving a "discount" or should be given a "discount"?

I mean, seriously, what the fuck are you trying to communicate? You don't like Checker's or you don't like minorities? Clarify yourself.

• Like 1

Answering Bolverk who posted while I was in the middle of responding:

I was responding to Anastasis' discussion on the taco truck discount.  It was a lame response granted, but was intended to say you never know what you are going to get(what discount) when you eat out.  I assume Checkers dealt with that employee.  Not sure what race has to do with it unless you feel like the Checkers employee did what she did because of racial XYZ?

---------

answering the post above yours, from NotActuallyALonghorn, about blaming all of Starbucks or not mentioning/clarifying that it was this particular Starbucks:

This is on the manager of that particular Starbucks.  Unless you are noticing a pattern at other Starbucks that can be proven.  This from someone who isn't the biggest fan of Starbucks but generally hates it when the WTO protesters typically find a Starbucks window to break.(I usually attribute it to them being ubiquitous, not WTO protesters having anything against Starbucks)

Edited by zork

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

This is on the Starbucks. Police were doing their job. Maybe they could have done it better, but assuming they do it the same for every skin color I don't really find much fault with them. Once somebody is considered trespassing they have every right to make them leave or arrest them. The real issue is why the Starbucks decided to consider them tresspassing.

The cops did a terrible fucking job.  I find most of the fault to be on their shoulders.  You have to be a special kind of dumbfuck to assess that situation in totality and decide to arrest those 2 men.  

This could've been a situation where common sense prevailed, the cops just leave, and everyone in that store walks away with a higher opinion of their local police.  Instead, yet another stupid fucking decision and more reasons for everyone to distrust law enforcement.  

Too many cops have terrible instincts. Fuck. 

• Like 3

I’ve owned a coffee shop for several years.  People sit at tables without ordering all the time.  Sometimes they sit for hours without ordering.  I’ve had people come in with coffee cups from other establishments and sit for hours without ever ordering anything.    We’ve never called the cops once.  The only time we’ve ever asked someone to leave was when this presumably homeless person would come in and steal all the packets of sugar.  This happened several times before we finally intervened and we mostly did so because the other patrons complained about us never having sugar.  

Why on earth any coffee shop would even notice folks sitting at a table for just 30 minutes is stange.  Asking them to leave for this is nuts. If they called the cops without asking them to leave first (I don’t know if they did or not; has this part been confirmed?), then this is simply unfathomable.

Edited by Guest

I'm still confused.

A Starbucks manager calls the police on a loitering complaint and 8 armed officers show up?  Aren't we told we need to carry guns because we can't trust the police to protect us?  Evidently, they can represent on a loitering charge in Philly.

9 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

Why is what these dumbass cops did on the politic board? What is political about white/black cops kick black men out of starbuck? 

According to the OP because Republicans.  Most of us would have thought this was a Bernard event but op has a motive...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm still confused.

A Starbucks manager calls the police on a loitering complaint and 8 armed officers show up?  Aren't we told we need to carry guns because we can't trust the police to protect us?  Evidently, they can represent on a loitering charge in Philly.

Looks like the first assholes are wearing bike helmets, back up assholes prolly came by car. Could have came from different directions and now you have several assholes on scene. Prolly wasn’t an oh no blacks are here call for mayday.

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The cops did a terrible fucking job.  I find most of the fault to be on their shoulders.  You have to be a special kind of dumbfuck to assess that situation in totality and decide to arrest those 2 men.  

This could've been a situation where common sense prevailed, the cops just leave, and everyone in that store walks away with a higher opinion of their local police.  Instead, yet another stupid fucking decision and more reasons for everyone to distrust law enforcement.  

Too many cops have terrible instincts. Fuck. 

Could be they get tired of being shot at and shit.

3 hours ago, zork said:

answering the post above yours, from NotActuallyALonghorn, about blaming all of Starbucks or not mentioning/clarifying that it was this particular Starbucks:

This is on the manager of that particular Starbucks.  Unless you are noticing a pattern at other Starbucks that can be proven.  This from someone who isn't the biggest fan of Starbucks but generally hates it when the WTO protesters typically find a Starbucks window to break.(I usually attribute it to them being ubiquitous, not WTO protesters having anything against Starbucks)

I didn't mean to imply that this is on Starbucks as a whole, but on this particular one. In other words, the manager or who ever was in charge of making the call. 

12 hours ago, zork said:

Answering Bolverk who posted while I was in the middle of responding:

I was responding to Anastasis' discussion on the taco truck discount.  It was a lame response granted, but was intended to say you never know what you are going to get(what discount) when you eat out.  I assume Checkers dealt with that employee.  Not sure what race has to do with it unless you feel like the Checkers employee did what she did because of racial XYZ?

---------

Not that it matters, but your statement passes the smell test to me:

The most obvious solution as mentioned above is to order a beverage & text the buddy to get his ass there... Although I myself would not want service from an establishment that saw me as a threat for just sitting while waiting for a friend...

13 hours ago, Aphelion said:

Asking them to leave for this is nuts. If they called the cops without asking them to leave first (I don’t know if they did or not; has this part been confirmed?), then this is simply unfathomable.

Maybe get the facts before you post.

Why buy a drink they don't want? White customers there report not being asked to buy anything, so why the fuck should they buy something? Why do some of you people think the onus is on blacks to fix or accommodate white racism?

They should not have bought a damned thing and waited for their friend peacefully, just as they did. Then they went along with the fucking white supremacy gestapo peacefully. And were released without charge because they did nothing wrong.

The cops were garbage here, pure and simple.

"They did their jobs" is the most pathetic example of statist boot-licking imaginable reinforcing the sad truth that cops exist to be state enforcers of white, rich violence.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"They did their jobs" is the most pathetic example of statist boot-licking imaginable reinforcing the sad truth that cops exist to be state enforcers of white, rich violence.

As a former Republican, it never ceases to amaze me how many white Republicans don't realize that they support the party of state sponsored white, rich violence.

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why buy a drink they don't want? White customers there report not being asked to buy anything, so why the fuck should they buy something? Why do some of you people think the onus is on blacks to fix or accommodate white racism?

They should not have bought a damned thing and waited for their friend peacefully, just as they did. Then they went along with the fucking white supremacy gestapo peacefully. And were released without charge because they did nothing wrong.

The cops were garbage here, pure and simple.

User name checks out.  /white people

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We know. Say it some more.

How about answer the question?  You or Poncho or whoever.  Or you just gonna keep deflecting and moving the goal posts?  Not my fight, but I too am wondering how this is politics unless you have an agenda?

Alleged racism at public accommodations, enforced by local police, has been a political issue since before any of us was even born, and is the topic of extensive federal legislation.  Alleged racism by police in the manner in which they enforce laws is the topic of one of the major political movements of the last few years.  You may not agree that it should be political, in which case you are free to voice your take, but pretending you don't understand what in the world could ever make this political is embarrassing. 

• Like 2

Politics - the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

Police actions are the executive branch of the government governing the country. There is debate about it.

bing bong so simple

Politics - the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.
Police actions are the executive branch of the government governing the country. There is debate about it.
bing bong so simple

But, counterpoint: uppity whiny negroes paid by Soros should just do what they’re told.

Boom, roasted.

Did I get that right?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

We all know damn well this thread would last about 5 minutes on current events before pussies started crying for it to get moved to politics

Bada/Current Events/Daily Texans is basically a place for exurb-mentality centrists to talk about things of no consequence and never have to address difficult ideas.