Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_2780.jpeg

Lol. He didn't have one "signature" game he had four games where he dictated and controlled his teams' success. But for the "One or maybe two Signature Game" award, sure, Murray should get it.

Or maybe watch the last two minutes of Game 4 where Jokic dropped a one foot fadeaway three AND plowed through and scored on a top defensive center and guard who both fouled him. You know, winning game 4.

That tweet epitomizes the style over substance view where casual or ignorant NBA fans, and media, see and gush over the isolation guy who can take someone off the dribble or jack up 30 ft threes. But the generational talent that does it all consistently is overlooked.

And I'm probably a semi-casual fan but just watching a few games with this dude and it's shit no one's ever seen or done.

Edited by gofuckyourself
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Lol. He didn't have one "signature" game he had four games where he dictated and controlled his teams' success. But for the "One or maybe two Signature Game" award, sure, Murray should get it.

Or maybe watch the last two minutes of Game 4 where Jokic dropped a one foot fadeaway three AND plowed through and scored on a top defensive center and guard who both fouled him. You know, winning game 4.

That tweet epitomizes the style over substance view where casual or ignorant NBA fans, and media, see and gush over the isolation guy who can take someone off the dribble or jack up 30 ft threes. But the generational talent that does it all consistently is overlooked.

And I'm probably a semi-casual fan but just watching a few games with this dude and it's shit no one's ever seen or done.

Maybe we shouldn't post dumb tweets from random people, most of those are even less intelligent than the average surly poster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

what's funny is that i didn't even mean to post that tweet, but i'm twitter illiterate and that's what happened. i was actually trying to post this tweet, which i guess was a response to that one:

edit: i still don't know how to post this shit lol. here's a screenshot:

IMG_2834.jpeg

Man... he really sucked in that game where he had 24, 6 and 8. Scrub.

He really does deserve the title of Mr. Triple Double. I have never seen him do anything to pad his stats, it's all about scoring and making his teammates better. I hope he gets a Triple Double in 4+ games this Finals, so he can grab #3 all time on this list:

Here's the complete list of players with multiple NBA Finals triple-doubles:

Player NBA Finals games Finals triple-doubles
LeBron James 54 10
Magic Johnson 50 8
Draymond Green 28 3
Larry Bird 31 2
Walt Frazier 17 2
Wilt Chamberlain 35 2
Bob Cousy 42 2
Bill Russell 70 2
Jimmy Butler 5 2

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He really does deserve the title of Mr. Triple Double. I have never seen him do anything to pad his stats, it's all about scoring and making his teammates better. I hope he gets a Triple Double in 4+ games this Finals, so he can grab #3 all time on this list:

LeBron James 54 10
Magic Johnson 50 8
Draymond Green 28 3
Larry Bird 31 2
Walt Frazier 17 2
Wilt Chamberlain 35 2
Bob Cousy 42 2
Bill Russell 70 2
Jimmy Butler 5 2

Between Jimmy and Jokic, the stat sheets will be filled up like a Mauritanian* hooker on discount.

I went with Czech hooker first, but after some literary research, discovered that Mauritania has the lowest "hooker per capita" ratio, at just 1 per 10,000 people. Thus, discounted hookers are likely quite busy...just to show my work there...you're welcome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Jokic is like Westbrook in that he gets a lot of triple doubles, he is unlike Westbrook in that he gets his within the actual flow of the game, and isn't out there boxing out his teammates for boards, or throwing a pass for an assist when he has an easy lane for 2 points.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, Dutchrudder said:

LeBron James 54 10
Magic Johnson 50 8
Draymond Green 28 3
Larry Bird 31 2
Walt Frazier 17 2
Wilt Chamberlain 35 2
Bob Cousy 42 2
Bill Russell 70 2
Jimmy Butler 5 2

Why are you leaving out Russ Westbrook's triple doubles?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That highlight package looks more like bird than anything. The quick baseball passes, the over the head passes, odd angles. 

those passes you mention- he's the only guy in the league doing them with regularity, busting them out on a regular basis. he's just so fun to watch. and his lack of athleticism should ironically be one of his best assets, as none of his game relies on athleticism or explosiveness. we could be watching him do this for 10+ more years. 

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Plays the game at a level above anyone else, and it's not close. The court vision and awareness is something that no one else in the league can touch.

his touch around the basketball with either hand is otherworldly. the gap between him and the next guy in that department is probably (definitely?) bigger than the gap between him and whoever the second best passer is. he finishes so many plays from off balance positions and weird angles that can't be defended, and he just drops it through the net time and time again. it's just amazing. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Maybe relax.

Why, because he only went for 23/12/4?  Do you know how ridiculous it is that that is a bad stat line for him?

How many times does he need to do something that has never been done before until people get on board?  As of tonight, he's the first player in NBA history to have 250 rebounds and 150 assists in NBA postseason history.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Why, because he only went for 23/12/4?  Do you know how ridiculous it is that that is a bad stat line for him?

How many times does he need to do something that has never been done before until people get on board?  As of tonight, he's the first player in NBA history to have 250 rebounds and 150 assists in NBA postseason history.

That's awesome. Let's see him play some D or stretch this run out before we call him the best big ever. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, ztejas said:
That's awesome. Let's see him play some D or stretch this run out before we call him the best big ever. 

Play some D? Bam shot 10% (1 of 10) in game 3 when Jok was guarding him.

I've seen Bam miss a billion easy post buckets this playoffs. Not sure he's a great barometer. 

I do think Jokic has been at least passable on D this playoffs. He isn't Duncan or Wallace. He doesn't need to be. But I like to holistically evaluate guys - and an all-time defender at the 5 is just as valuable as an all-time orchestrator which he is. 

I don't know if he's in the '95 Hakeem, '01 Shaq, '03 Duncan tier but he's right there. 

I've seen Bam miss a billion easy post buckets this playoffs. Not sure he's a great barometer. 
I do think Jokic has been at least passable on D this playoffs. He isn't Duncan or Wallace. He doesn't need to be. But I like to holistically evaluate guys - and an all-time defender at the 5 is just as valuable as an all-time orchestrator which he is. 
I don't know if he's in the '95 Hakeem, '01 Shaq, '03 Duncan tier but he's right there. 

He kicks more passes than anyone in NBA history, too (WSJ did a story today). And he has great hands, getting strips and steals. But he's never going to be a big shot blocker, so if that's your criteria, oh well. He is a solid defender, though.

individual defense is the most overrated aspect of today's nba. it's basically the only thing that embiid does better than jokic, and every time i heard someone mention embiid's defense as a reason he should be the mvp i nearly passed out from my eyes rolling so far into the back of my head.

first off, defense is a team thing, where offense is much more of an individual thing. you're generally relying on everyone who steps on the court for you to defend. meanwhile you basically need two offensive badasses to dominate a game. joel embiid is one of the better defenders in the nba today; jokic is one of the greatest offensive players of all time; probably top 10 already. which one would you rather have: one of the better defenders of today, or one of the all time great offensive players? it's not even a debate.

in conclusion, who gives a shit about individual defense. no individual defenders are out here leading their teams to victories, and especially not series victories. so jokic is merely an adequate - above average defender. who cares? he's a once-in-a-generation offensive talent and there currently isn't another player in the nba who can hold his jock. as i've repeatedly stated, he's as good as if not better than lebron in his prime. sorry that he doesn't jump high or run fast. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/11/2023 at 10:04 AM, closetohumping said:

Has racist Stephen A and Perkins walked back their comments or is it more about Jamal Murray now?

For some reason on my YouTube feed today popped up the clip of Stupid A Smith, J.J. Reddick and Perkins where Perkins intimated that The Joker won the MVP because he was a white guy and that 80% of the voters were white guys. It was tiresome and ridiculously stupid. Even Stephen A refused to back up Perkins because I think he realized how dumb the comments were.

It’s such a beaten dead horse. There was another clip where J. Noah was saying how foreign players were so much hungrier than American born players. 

I don’t understand why people, especially a former player like Perkins, can’t just admit that Joker is an amazing talent, as were so many other guys, white guys and black guys, and leave it at that and just enjoy the games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

For some reason on my YouTube feed today popped up the clip of Stupid A Smith, J.J. Reddick and Perkins where Perkins intimated that The Joker won the MVP because he was a white guy and that 80% of the voters were white guys. It was tiresome and ridiculously stupid. Even Stephen A refused to back up Perkins because I think he realized how dumb the comments were.

It’s such a beaten dead horse. There was another clip where J. Noah was saying how foreign players were so much hungrier than American born players. 

I don’t understand why people, especially a former player like Perkins, can’t just admit that Joker is an amazing talent, as were so many other guys, white guys and black guys, and leave it at that and just enjoy the games.

I’m trying not to click on anything Kendrick related as I would love for that fool to be off the air.  No CR but what if a white fit said that about a black player?

Please indulge me the sin of a self-quote. From this thread's second post, three years ago:

On 5/26/2020 at 6:57 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Lot of stupid threads have popped up during the suspended season/COVID lockdown, but this isn't one of them. Jokic definitely deserves his own thread.

Love the two-man offense that he and Murray run. Even when they were putting a clinic on my Spurs in last year's playoffs, it was still fun to watch. Genuinely don't know how you stop it other than do your best and hope for a miss.

So glad that Jokic won't be one of those greats to never get a ring.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, pacman said:

Does it get any more Jokic than him abandoning the mvp trophy on the table as he moves to the background with his daughter?

Yep he doesn't care about all these rewards. He plays the game to win. And winning he did. All the other is just extra he doesn't really value (or at least shows). He puts it all in perspective. Reminds me of Dirk. He is all about taking care of business on the court. He's not flashy. No controversy surrounds him. He loves to let his teammates get the shine and doesn't make it all about him. I like seeing guys like him win a ring. 

• Hook 'Em 1