Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

54 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Decent.

i still don't know a basketball fan outside of this website (and that includes the dozens and dozens if not hundreds of comments i see on social media) who even mentions him when talking about todays best players. i'll bet you a fan poll on Luka vs Jokic would go 85/15 saying Luka is the better player, despite A)Joker being the mvp, and B)the fact that his playoff stats and performances are somehow better than those from his regular seasons. i'm not sure there's ever been a more highly disrespected star player. i mean even people who hate kobe, or zeke, or kg will admit that they're amazing basketball players. meanwhile 99% of the nba world is *still* just going, "meh, doughy white guy who doesn't dunk, who cares." it's mind boggling. 

Edited by shadow_operative

I mean Luka/Jokic is a close one. But Jokic is better(he's older and more experienced).  The real issue is why Jokic isn't running away with MVP as he should be or why Imbiid is even Top 2(he should probably be behind Giannis too)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jokic continues to just be unreal in the playoffs. his team may have lost 4-1, but he did everything he could to keep it competitive. the shots that he's able to hit over and over again in crunch time are unreal, especially when he doesn't have MPJ and Jamaal there to help him out. Everyone knew what was coming, and even with Draymond guarding him there was no stopping him. assuming he does win his second mvp, it'll be well deserved, and that's including his playoff performance. i just hope that his team can stay healthy next year. we are in the new golden age of the NBA, and it would be a shame if arguably it's best player could never get to a Finals.

• Like 2

Jokic continues to just be unreal in the playoffs. his team may have lost 4-1, but he did everything he could to keep it competitive. the shots that he's able to hit over and over again in crunch time are unreal, especially when he doesn't have MPJ and Jamaal there to help him out. Everyone knew what was coming, and even with Draymond guarding him there was no stopping him. assuming he does win his second mvp, it'll be well deserved, and that's including his playoff performance. i just hope that his team can stay healthy next year. we are in the new golden age of the NBA, and it would be a shame if arguably it's best player could never get to a Finals.
I'm biased as a Nuggets fan, but he had one of the best seasons in NBA history. He's the 2x MVP for a reason. If only Murray could have made it back for this series.

Jokic says he'll sign the supermax...if it's on the table. Gee, I don't know, Nikola. I think Denver will find a way to scrape together their couch change. 

This dude is awesome.

I think my favorite play last night was Aaron Gordon being so shocked to have the ball after an absolutely unreal pass from Jokic that he basically spasmed and subsequently chucked the ball over everyone's head into the backcourt. Get this man some better teammates.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Draymond is going to be the next Barkley when they both retire from their current gigs. Except Draymond is going to have better basketball takes. 

You mean Draymond is actually going to watch basketball games? 

Honestly it's a credit to Chuck that he's still as entertaining as he is while bringing almost zero knowledge of what's happening around the league other than what he hears in Studio J. The best part about it how much he bemoans having to "work" and how he can't wait to retire. 

Sorry, sidebar. Back to Joker. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Hard to say a guy tracking for HOF and a clear first team All-NBA guy - a guy who’s game I love - is overrated. But here we are. Statistically, he’s more impressive this year than last. His team performed worse. Why the MVP isn’t passed out after the playoffs is beyond me. He wasn’t the MVP this year and certainly not last year. 

49 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Hard to say a guy tracking for HOF and a clear first team All-NBA guy - a guy who’s game I love - is overrated. But here we are. Statistically, he’s more impressive this year than last. His team performed worse. Why the MVP isn’t passed out after the playoffs is beyond me. He wasn’t the MVP this year and certainly not last year. 

not that your basketball takes aren't usually terrible and devoid of substance or reason, the idea that Jokic is "overrated" is particularly stupid. he's the least respected two time mvp ever. he's been constantly disrespected for years. despite him being an absolute unicorn who nba fans should absolutely adore, he continues to be dissed and dismissed by NBA fans and writers alike. there's probably never been a more highly disrespected superstar ever. pasty, unatheltic, white guy who plays in the mountain time zone = hate hate hate every time he wins an award. hell, just go back to the beginning of this season in this thread where i posted those "top 5 nba player" lists where guys like Dame Lillard were being named while Jokic was omitted from every list altogether. "overrated". congrats on making such a uniquely terrible and uninformed post.

#justrexkramerthings 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

not that your basketball takes aren't usually terrible and devoid of substance or reason, the idea that Jokic is "overrated" is particularly stupid. he's the least respected two time mvp ever. he's been constantly disrespected for years. despite him being an absolute unicorn who nba fans should absolutely adore, he continues to be dissed and dismissed by NBA fans and writers alike. there's probably never been a more highly disrespected superstar ever. pasty, unatheltic, white guy who plays in the mountain time zone = hate hate hate every time he wins an award. hell, just go back to the beginning of this season in this thread where i posted those "top 5 nba player" lists where guys like Dame Lillard were being named while Jokic was omitted from every list altogether. "overrated". congrats on making such a uniquely terrible and uninformed post.

#justrexkramerthings 

Sigh. I’m not going to get it with your obnoxious ass. He is overrated insofar as a two time MVP. He has simply not been the most valuable player in the league either year. I said he’s an All-NBA First steamer (very deservedly so) and is a future HOF. He’s a top 5 player in the league and has been for some time. Learn how to comprehend what you read before you get drawn offsides by words like “overrated” which is only relevant to “MVP”. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

Sigh. I’m not going to get it with your obnoxious ass. He is overrated insofar as a two time MVP. He has simply not been the most valuable player in the league either year. I said he’s an All-NBA First steamer (very deservedly so) and is a future HOF. He’s a top 5 player in the league and has been for some time. Learn how to comprehend what you read before you get drawn offsides by words like “overrated” which is only relevant to “MVP”. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

not that your basketball takes aren't usually terrible and devoid of substance or reason

still waiting for any substance or reason to back up your claim. i know we won't get any, because you don't actually watch basketball, but i'd still like to point out that aren't saying anything substantive at all. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

Who is more deserving of this year's regular season NBA MVP award?

Luka, hands down. Giannis is more deserving. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

still waiting for any substance or reason to back up your claim. i know we won't get any, because you don't actually watch basketball, but i'd still like to point out that aren't saying anything substantive at all. 

You’re presumptuous. I’ve forgotten more basketball than you’ll ever know about. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

based on?

Mavs don’t have a second wheel like Murray. When he went out, Nuggets were average. Mavs are particularly short on talent around Luka. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Mavs don’t have a second wheel like Murray. When he went out, Nuggets were average. Mavs are particularly short on talent around Luka. 

Jokic had another incredible season as the Nuggets’ do-everything big man, leading Denver to 48 wins despite Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. combining to play nine games. He averaged 27.1 points, 13.8 rebounds, 7.9 assists and 1.5 steals.

Murray has been out all season and MPJ barely played. when Murray actually did go out, last season, the Nuggets won 11 out of their next 12 and finished the year 16-4. so uh, yeah, just your usual great stuff rex.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, Murray has been out all season.

remember like three minutes ago when i said that rex doesn't actually watch basketball? yeah. that wasn't hyperbole. and yet here he is, running his mouth and making definitive statements about stuff he knows nothing about. rex'd.

i've spent the morning scrolling twitter, and the outrage over embiid not winning is both palpable and laughable. it's been simmering for weeks now, with people anticipating that jokic was going to win the mvp over the "more deserving" embiid. throughout that entire time i've yet to hear a single cogent point as to why that is. everyone just keep parroting the same "first C to lead the league in scoring since Shaq" stat. right. those people do not want to go blow for blow on the "first player since x" stat line, because jokic has about a dozen "first player since wilt" or "only player besides wilt" type stats in his back pocket.

i can't explain the jokic hate that's been prevalent for years now, but i will say that basketball fans continue to be *by far* the least knowledgeable fans of any sport on the planet. twitter and social media has only made it 10x worse with their hot take culture. 

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

remember like three minutes ago when i said that rex doesn't actually watch basketball? yeah. that wasn't hyperbole. and yet here he is, running his mouth and making definitive statements about stuff he knows nothing about. rex'd.

Because I meant ‘20-‘21 season?  You’re reading comprehension is abysmal. I know exactly what I’m talking about. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Because I meant ‘20-‘21 season?  You’re reading comprehension is abysmal. I know exactly what I’m talking about. 

again, after Murray went out the Nuggets won 11 of their next 12 which is precisely what propelled Jokic to clinching last year's award. he was amazing after Murray went out, and the Nuggets somehow improved their playoff position during that time. you have no clue what you're talking about, and should seriously stop posting about this.

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's the least respected two time mvp ever.

Steve Nash's greatness, unluckiness summed up in one bloody game -  Sportsnet.ca

But Nash actually deserves to be the least respected two time MVP ever.

What Jokic did on that team full of scrubs is unbelievable. Jeff Green is 35 and played 25 minutes a night for them. Austin freaking Rivers had to start 18 games for them. They were so desperate for three point shooting that they had to trade for god awful Bryn Forbes at the deadline. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

again, after Murray went out the Nuggets won 11 of their next 12 which is precisely what propelled Jokic to clinching last year's award. he was amazing after Murray went out, and the Nuggets somehow improved their playoff position during that time. you have no clue what you're talking about, and should seriously stop posting about this.

Ummmm….playoffs matter. You get swept in second round, or lose in 5 in first round, you don’t deserve MVP. Jokic needed Murray desperately to have any shot whatsoever. That’s not an MVP. Meanwhile, Luka couldn’t get past Clips the last few seasons and you saw no argument from me on an MVP vote for him. And this year, he’s willing his team MUCH further than Jokic ever did in his two MVP seasons. Maybe if you'd take your pills, would stop trying to pounce on scoring internet points. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Steve Nash's greatness, unluckiness summed up in one bloody game -  Sportsnet.ca

But Nash actually deserves to be the least respected two time MVP ever.

What Jokic did on that team full of scrubs is unbelievable. Jeff Green is 35 and played 25 minutes a night for them. Austin freaking Rivers had to start 18 games for them. They were so desperate for three point shooting that they had to trade for god awful Bryn Forbes at the deadline. 

Kobe deserved the 05-06 MVP over Nash, and it shouldn't have been close.

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Ummmm….playoffs matter. You get swept in second round, or lose in 5 in first round, you don’t deserve MVP. Jokic needed Murray desperately to have any shot whatsoever. That’s not an MVP. Meanwhile, Luka couldn’t get past Clips the last few seasons and you saw no argument from me on an MVP vote for him. And this year, he’s willing his team MUCH further than Jokic ever did in his two MVP seasons. Maybe if you'd take your pills, would stop trying to pounce on scoring internet points. 

You think Luka has a chance in hell against Golden State if they advance?

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Luka missed 17 games and started the year off out of shape and playing below his own level. continuously repeating that he would be your mvp is only further proof that you don't actually watch the sport, and therefore clearly have no clue as to what you're talking about. just stop. 

You keep saying this. As if I’m not acutely aware of everything you and aggie08. Your fat, obnoxious ass keeps saying I don’t watch basketball. Ostensibly because I don’t post on here where you dominate the boards, and getting into any conversation with you is against my better judgement. 

Despite coming in out of shape (not exclusively to this season, or Doncic) and missing games, the stats between them is extremely comparable. Yet Luka has already had significantly more playoff experience than in any Jokic had in either MVP season and we are only halfway through 2nd series. Jokic needs help than Luka doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

You think Luka has a chance in hell against Golden State if they advance?

I don’t think Mavs have much chance to advance against Phoenix, and I think Phoenix is a better GS. If they do play (GS), the series will be won with perimeter D and Kidd smoke and mirrors. Luka will average a triple double and be fine offensively. Absolutely they can beat GS. Phoenix is the far better team. 

I wouldn't have had huge issues with Embiid or Giannis winning -- they both had great years.  But I would have voted Jokic personally, with Embiid pretty close behind.  (I give him some bonus points for having to deal with the Ben Simmons situation and the changed roster, etc.)

If Giannis or Embiid had a clear difference in team record, I think that might be more persuasive, but Embiid and Giannis played in 45 wins, and Jokic 46.  Team wins I think are 51/51/48.  Given the analytics/supporting casts, I don't think is enough of a difference in team performance.

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

He had one of the best years of all time this season.  And singlehandedly dragged a team without it's 2nd and 3rd best players to a #6 seed.  

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i've spent the morning scrolling twitter, and the outrage over embiid not winning is both palpable and laughable. it's been simmering for weeks now, with people anticipating that jokic was going to win the mvp over the "more deserving" embiid. throughout that entire time i've yet to hear a single cogent point as to why that is. everyone just keep parroting the same "first C to lead the league in scoring since Shaq" stat. right. those people do not want to go blow for blow on the "first player since x" stat line, because jokic has about a dozen "first player since wilt" or "only player besides wilt" type stats in his back pocket.

i can't explain the jokic hate that's been prevalent for years now, but i will say that basketball fans continue to be *by far* the least knowledgeable fans of any sport on the planet. twitter and social media has only made it 10x worse with their hot take culture. 

He doesn't look the part.  He's not super athletic, he can't run fast and he can't jump high.  That and the fact that he plays in Denver contribute to a lot of the disrespect he gets.  He doesn't care, though.  That might be what I like about him the most.  He just wants to win.  He doesn't care about awards.  He's in the middle of moving and during an interview a couple weeks ago he admitted he doesn't even know where his MVP trophy is.