Maui

PantsTent

Massive winds today. 35 mph sustained at times.

We went to the Jaws overlook in a military style personnel carrier down this slickass 1 vehicle wide mud road. For 1 1/2 miles. With dozens of vehicles going past us the other way.

Had to walk the last 250 yards barefoot in the mud. I carried my mud encrusted flip flops. No, I was not prepared...

Got to see a 30 foot swell. We were expecting 50 foot waves (as were 100s of others) that were predicted. We missed seeing the surfers who were out earlier.

5d18dbe328ab95772e6e7fb534e7063b.jpg

5a24d465fb238d11a1ff2064654afddc.jpg

When the carrier thingy got us back up to our cars, a local woman went crazy due to all the traffic, yelling at us and the driver (who was making a killing - $20 round trip per person). We had 20 on the trip to the turnaround and 12 on the return.

Huge rains and wind knocked down a tree and power lines SE of Kahului, causing traffic lights to fail for hours almost all the way to Kihei.

Cats and dogs were sleeping together. Mass hysteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

headed to maui at the end of july.  i am an extremely avid kauai advocate after having been a few times but never been to maui.  since we are taking the 6 and 4 year old, the wife convinced me to do maui instead.  staying in kapalua at the ritz...which, as it turns out, has closed the plantation course for renovations until november.  which sucks.  fuckers.

anyway, thanks to all for rundowns and recommendations throughout this thread...

2 hours ago, sidis said:

headed to maui at the end of july.  i am an extremely avid kauai advocate after having been a few times but never been to maui.  since we are taking the 6 and 4 year old, the wife convinced me to do maui instead.  staying in kapalua at the ritz...which, as it turns out, has closed the plantation course for renovations until november.  which sucks.  fuckers.

anyway, thanks to all for rundowns and recommendations throughout this thread...

Beach just north of the Ritz is a great spot. Kids will have a blast. Beach is flat for quite a ways but still gets some decent waves to mess around in. 

Pro tip, Bay course is much better than the plantation. You aren't missing out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pops said:

Beach just north of the Ritz is a great spot. Kids will have a blast. Beach is flat for quite a ways but still gets some decent waves to mess around in. 

That is a great beach and not too crowded

I liked the Bay Course (especially the oceanside holes), but the Plantation course is a bucket list type course and just an amazing property, with incredible views.  I would take Makai (or Prince, if they ever open it back up, though it is stupid hard) on Kauai over both.

By the way, the little convenience store on the resort main road is the nicest convenience store I’ve ever been in, with pretty good food.

16 hours ago, pops said:

yeah, you can actually streetview the entire cart path of both courses and the bay course looks like it will make pretty awesome alternative.  but it has a slope of 133 vs. 144 so i was looking forward to playing a pga tour stop course difficulty.

are you talking about the dt fleming park beach that you can just walk to from the property?

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

That is a great beach and not too crowded

I liked the Bay Course (especially the oceanside holes), but the Plantation course is a bucket list type course and just an amazing property, with incredible views.  I would take Makai (or Prince, if they ever open it back up, though it is stupid hard) on Kauai over both.

By the way, the little convenience store on the resort main road is the nicest convenience store I’ve ever been in, with pretty good food.

makai is amazing.  i've played it twice and it is a lot of fun and beautiful.

17 minutes ago, sidis said:

yeah, you can actually streetview the entire cart path of both courses and the bay course looks like it will make pretty awesome alternative.  but it has a slope of 133 vs. 144 so i was looking forward to playing a pga tour stop course difficulty.

are you talking about the dt fleming park beach that you can just walk to from the property?

makai is amazing.  i've played it twice and it is a lot of fun and beautiful.

I get the allure of the plantation course with it being a tour stop, but other than a couple holes it is fairly forgettable. If you want a good golf experience, hop a boat over to Lanai and play manele. It's impressive. The other course over there was off the charts but the oracle guy basically bought the entire island and shut that one down. 

Yeah, dt Fleming is the beach. It's great. And as mentioned above the convenience store in kapalua is pretty good. They have a grill there, too with cooked to order items. 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, sidis said:

that place looks pretty amazing.

Lanai is definitely worth a day trip, though if you have youngsters it may not be as fun. Besides Manele course, the best thing to do on Lanai is bang around on a rented jeep which was fun for my older kids (11 and 13 at the time), but may not be for 6 and 4. 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:14 PM, Butch Had Not said:

Maui tickets were $318 round  trip out of phoenix yesterday for August.  Convincing the non impulsive wife to commit to it is a different story. 

Damn. That's a difficult price to turn down. Even more so if you have kids.

• 3 months later...

on our way out next tuesday...manele (just me) booked for thursday (lovely 495 green fee).  mama's fish house on friday.

if anyone can summon the energy to throw their top 3 or 4 things to do on the island with the mindset of bringing along 5 and 6 year old girls (no 7 hour hikes, etc..), it would certainly be appreciated.  there will be lots of pool/beach time at the resort.

thanks.

Drive up to the top of Haleakala National Park. Looks like the surface of Mars. 

https://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

Road to Hana is pretty cool as they can see some waterfalls and you can take them to different color sand beaches. The black sand beach is pretty cool. 

Right after Mama's Fish House, there's a beach where the sea turtles hang out around dusk. That's a pretty cool sight to see. Ho'okipa Beach Park.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, sidis said:

on our way out next tuesday...manele (just me) booked for thursday (lovely 495 green fee).  mama's fish house on friday.

if anyone can summon the energy to throw their top 3 or 4 things to do on the island with the mindset of bringing along 5 and 6 year old girls (no 7 hour hikes, etc..), it would certainly be appreciated.  there will be lots of pool/beach time at the resort.

thanks.

Pro-tip.  When you get lost on a yoga/metaphysical/spiritual hike, just walk down hill FFS.

Road to Hana is cool as said above.  Get the app that plays along as you drive.  Stop and hike up to a couple of the water falls they recommend and hit the beaches they point out.  You don't have to go all the way to Hana for it to be worth it either.

If someone in your group thinks they want to see a Luau - compromise and go to Betty's in Lahaina - sports bar where you can eat/drink what you want and still watch a Luau...that some else paid for.

Paia Fish Market - Close to Mammas.  Great lunch spot.

Kapalua Zip Lines if you're into that kind of thing.  some 1/2 mile runs and very fast.....7 total runs I think.

Best to plan any self-guided snorkeling on day of - especially if you have a rental car.  That way you can get recommendations from locals where to go based on the weather that day.  Any shop that rents gear will advise you and give you maps.

KO in the Fairmont has really good food too.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, sidis said:

thanks.

http://mauiguidebook.com/adventures/nakalele-blowhole/

We did this short hike two years ago when our youngest (girl) was 6

24 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Pro-tip.  When you get lost on a yoga/metaphysical/spiritual hike, just walk down hill FFS.

Road to Hana is cool as said above.  Get the app that plays along as you drive.  Stop and hike up to a couple of the water falls they recommend and hit the beaches they point out.  You don't have to go all the way to Hana for it to be worth it either.

If someone in your group thinks they want to see a Luau - compromise and go to Betty's in Lahaina - sports bar where you can eat/drink what you want and still watch a Luau...that some else paid for.

Paia Fish Market - Close to Mammas.  Great lunch spot.

Kapalua Zip Lines if you're into that kind of thing.  some 1/2 mile runs and very fast.....7 total runs I think.

Best to plan any self-guided snorkeling on day of - especially if you have a rental car.  That way you can get recommendations from locals where to go based on the weather that day.  Any shop that rents gear will advise you and give you maps.

KO in the Fairmont has really good food too.

All good tips. Just to expand on two of them...

There's also a Paia Fish Market in Lahaina and Kihei.

The road to Hana is great but can also be a beating with 12ish hours in the car if you go beyond Hana.  Wai’anapanapa State Park is damn near to Hana but a highlight stop and not a bad spot to turn around.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:52 AM, pops said:

I get the allure of the plantation course with it being a tour stop, but other than a couple holes it is fairly forgettable. If you want a good golf experience, hop a boat over to Lanai and play manele. It's impressive. The other course over there was off the charts but the oracle guy basically bought the entire island and shut that one down. 

Yeah, dt Fleming is the beach. It's great. And as mentioned above the convenience store in kapalua is pretty good. They have a grill there, too with cooked to order items. 

Manele course...holy fucking shit. Thanks again for this one. 

• Like 1

cross-post from the golf thread.

photoblast post...just back from hawaii.  played manele course on lanai (80) (thanks to poster pops on here for recommending) and the bay course on maui (75).  bay course was nice, manele is a lifetime experience.  it is the most beautiful course i have ever played.  not terribly difficult but an experience like few others.

manele:

IMG-3634.jpg

IMG-3641.jpg

IMG-3643.jpg

IMG-3657.jpg

IMG-3658.jpg

IMG-3671.jpg

IMG-3673.jpg

IMG-3679.jpg

IMG-3682.jpg

IMG-3696.jpg

IMG-3702.jpg

IMG-3704.jpg

IMG-3708.jpg

bay course:

IMG-3896.jpg

IMG-3900.jpg

IMG-3905.jpg

IMG-3913.jpg

IMG-3915.jpg

IMG-3918.jpg

IMG-3927.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

suggestion if you like snorkeling.

buy your own snorkeling gear at the costco immediately after you land.  the costco is close to the airport.  that way you can snorkel pretty much anywhere.  we wanted to avoid the crowds and drive to remote places to snorkel.  depending on the wind, some beaches may be better than others to snorkel.  

a GREAT off the beaten path beach to snorkel is Maalaea Bay, especially the beach right off N. Kihei Rd.  plenty of parking on the side of the road.  it has a long stretch of beach that is mostly deserted.  on north, west, or due east to northeast wind, it will be glassy and calm.  any strong east wind will blow out most east facing beaches.  this is a great alternative.  saw tons of sea creatures from octopus to turtles.

https://goo.gl/maps/sGpoLCUtA2hEuJqZA

• 1 year later...

Wife and I are headed to Maui in March for the first time. Interested to know if anyone has been there since Covid. I've read a lot of great things to do but not too much about what it's like since last year. TPG has had some good resort reviews since covid but looking to see what the attractions are like. Read that the road to Hana is open for now. Also wondering if it's worth a day trip to Pearl Harbor or if we should just save that for a longer trip in the future (we're in Maui for 5 nights).

1 hour ago, NativeAmarilloan said:

Also wondering if it's worth a day trip to Pearl Harbor or if we should just save that for a longer trip in the future (we're in Maui for 5 nights).

Save it for a longer trip.  Keep your 5 nights in Maui.

IMO Road to Hana is overrated (ducks). If you can swing it do the one way van there, helicopter over the crater back.

We've had a spring break timeshare since 2005. PM if you want any other completely biased opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1

March still should be prime whale season so definitely do a whale tour, if it's still operating. Humpbacks whale watching in Maui is a great experience and memory. Go on a smaller boat and not the bigger ships. We had a whale surface (not breach) right next the boat where I could've pet the damn thing. Scared the living shit out of the wife. Only down side is if it's choppy and depending on wind direction, you WILL get wet and probably soaked. But it's all worth the trip.

The actual Road to Hanna is meh. It's beautiful but I wouldn't do the drive just for the scenery. IMO, the drive to Big Sur from Monterey in California is a prettier scenic drive. Re drive to Hanna, it's all the activities getting there that makes it fun. The cool thing about the road to Hanna is stopping at all the waterfalls and hikes to waterfalls. We jumped off a few waterfalls and swam in the pools. Well worth the hikes. Also there are a few blow holes that are worth the stop and short hike. Advice on the blow holes...they are along the rocky shoreline. Depending on the size of the waves, those areas can and do get waves. If the whole rocky shoreline area around the blow hole is wet, that's because waves have crashed/are crashing over the rocks onto that stretch of rocky shoreline. Be forewarned as we saw a few unknowing tourists get slammed by waves onto the rocks trying to get selfies next to the blow wholes. The rocks are wet for a reason.

If you drive to Hanna and never get out of the car, then you're missing the point of driving to Hanna. Also, DO NOT make the loop and drive the back side. We made that mistake. It takes FOREVER, is bumpy as hell as much of the road is unpaved or at least when we drove it it was unpaved (most rental car companies tell you that you cannot drive the back side in their cars), is sketchy as hell, and there's not much to see. It's mostly completely barren, which is kinda cool in itself. It looks like the moon, but with a few shrubbery. It is cool seeing one continuous, uninterrupted slope from the tip of the mountain sloping down all the way to the ocean.

Snorkel. Stop at the Costco by the airport and buy some snorkeling gear. There's always a calm area/shoreline somewhere on the island. Just need to find the leeward or protected shoreline. Get off the beaten path. Maui rewards those who get off the beaten path. Find your own beach and shoreline to snorkel. Hike to waterfalls that are far from the road. You'll get to enjoy the scenery and swim by yourselves.

We found great snorkeling at Maalaea Bay area. We drove here because our hotel area of Kaanapli beach was blown out. We noticed  cars parked on the side of the road the previous day driving to and from the Four Seasons. On a whim we drove to Maalaea Bay to snorkel and have a more secluded beach. We were rewarded with hardly anyone around. Just a few yards off of the beach, you can snorkel in big columns of coral like you're swimming through a maze. It got kinda scary cause you couldn't see around the columns. Felt like every next corner was going to be greeted by a shark. Hella cool and unique experience. Saw turtles, octopi, and tons of fish. Great experience, we pretty much had the beach and snorkeling to ourselves. But, that area may be blown out when you're there. Just depends on the wind.

Where we were. Just park on the side of the road, walk through the trees. Warning, there are some long ass thorns on the ground and sand which will easily stick through the bottom of flip flops. I found out the hard way.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20°47'25.9"N+156°28'35.4"W/@20.7905219,-156.4765021,1087m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d20.7905219!4d-156.4765021

Last note on snorkeling, we were snorkeling around Black Rock area and saw a few turtles. Went back to sit on the beach. Two minutes later, this lady is crying and freaking out running out of the water. She and her husband were snorkeling around the corner from Black Rock watching a sea turtle. Suddenly a big sea or sea lion whatever swims up and starts chomping on the turtle. Freaked her the fuck out. Husband had underwater camera and showed us pictures of the attack. He loved it. She swore she was never getting back in the water.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, crash_davis said:

Warning, there are some long ass thorns on the ground and sand which will easily stick through the bottom of flip flops. I found out the hard way.

i've heard about those thorns.  what's the best kind of shoe to go in then?

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i've heard about those thorns.  what's the best kind of shoe to go in then?

I had on cheap old navy sandals with flimsy non-dense rubber. The thorn easily went through the sole and a good ways into my foot. Shit hurt.

I would think dense rubber like hiking sandals would work. Havas flip flops may work. Or just watch where you are stepping. I wasn't.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I had on cheap old navy sandals with flimsy non-dense rubber. The thorn easily went through the sole and a good ways into my foot. Shit hurt.

I would think dense rubber like hiking sandals would work. Havas flip flops may work. Or just watch where you are stepping. I wasn't.

we were going to have the kids wear their crocs but with the rocks and thorns i'm not sure that's a good idea anymore.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we were going to have the kids wear their crocs but with the rocks and thorns i'm not sure that's a good idea anymore.

Just be extra careful if you are walking through/by these trees. They kinda look like Texas cedar trees.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/long-thorn-kiawe/

http://edrs.hipacdata.org/pestlist/images/searchimages/large/propal4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Found this old photo of my son jumping off a 75’ waterfall on Maui in 1988 when he was there with his high school summer study group.

888B985B-0806-47EE-BECB-33C3C51EDF3D.jpeg

I mean if my high school had offered a trip to Maui for joining a summer study group, I’d of signed up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Riding a bicycle down the volcano after watching the sunrise is probably the most fun thing my wife and I ever did.

Back when I was much younger, I road all the way up  before heading down.

I've heard that they no longer drop you off at the top because so many people were crashing on the way down.

9 minutes ago, otisdog said:

I've heard that they no longer drop you off at the top because so many people were crashing on the way down.

I got caught beyond a large group of cyclists descending after watching the sunrise. They eventually took a rest on the side of the road so cars could pass. I'm all for cycling as a road cyclist myself, but that was a bit obnoxious. 

We did it in 94. I am sure between their oppressive government and insurance carriers most all the fun shit has disappeared. Probably don’t allow surfing or deep sea fishing anymore either.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:51 AM, grazinhorn said:

I have posted before about Haleakala and trail running in the crater, and while that is an amazing thing to do I finally checked off a bucket list item last trip - after several years of trying I was able to get a reservation for one of the cabins in the crater.  There were more restrictions than normal (Covid), so we had a smaller group than we might have had.  Still, it was unbelievable.  With gear/food/water it took us a few hours to get in/out, but it was worth the effort for the time in between.  I highly recommend trying to do this, but it is pretty damn difficult to get the reservation.  You have to plan ahead and take what you can get.  Camping sites are a little easier, but not much (plus now you need a tent and you have no stove).   

2115274460_IMG_6057-Copy.thumb.jpg.424879644fc27288335dfde6d2993d34.jpg

1663333461_IMG_6050-Copy.thumb.jpg.6d8b5ebd111241c23693536d08e9d607.jpg

Those are some awesome photos.  Which trail did you take to get there?

I did the Sliding Sands from the rim down to the cinder cones.  There's a split that goes to that cabin and the Bottomless Pit. I chose to go see the pit.

Not an easy hike.    The 9-10,000 elevation, and the 2000 foot elevation gain going back up, made for some hard work.  

I might shoot for your cabin overnight next time, that looks great.

thumbnail_IMG_6627.jpg.fc30095cd8543b8863e7c0808293f079.jpg

Cool to look out over moonscape and see you're above the cloudline.

thumbnail_IMG_6631.jpg.07e6544886329f6540eb3457eb0aa256.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6645.jpg.767387e3a6d1540bd650d97491c54a8e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6642.jpg.2b7d59e4f64b700d22076c5e3e060eff.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6643.jpg.5baf47bab32b6b496691d4fb02dfcdd5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

There are three cabins - we were staying at Kapalaoa, so it went like this

2142632459_Cabinroute.thumb.PNG.d33488679f5dc14e35f8f28560844df5.PNG

Having run up there a few times I was pretty comfortable with the altitude and terrain, but it was a different deal carrying gear - overnighting vs. running through.  I should go back and dig up photos from running and elsewhere in the crater.  It's so awesome up there.

If you want to plan a stay in one of the cabins, be sure to plan over 6 months ahead so you can jump on reservations.  They become available each day 6 months out, so you need to be on top of it and jump on it as fast as possible.

• 10 months later...

I started the dominoes falling for my older son's HS graduation trip.  Going for two weeks at the end of June/early July.  We've been to Maui twice before, but the first time was when we got married, and the second was 12 years ago, so it'll be quite a different agenda having two teenage boys as opposed to two under 5.

We're going to stay on the west side at the Napili Surf Resort, so that should be good for days just hanging at the beach.

Thus far on the agenda, we're planning on doing the Old Lahaina Luau with some family who will be along (holy shit, I forgot how expensive that is), a ton of restaurants (several shamelessly stolen from this thread), and renting snorkel gear to wander around to various beaches.

We're renting a Jeep from a place called Bext, which I hope is as awesome as their reviews.  They don't give you any pearl-clutching over where you go, so we're going to do the full road to Hana (we have never done the RTH)  and I'd really like to do the Kahekili highway up north, probably making that a day of hiking/snorkeling in a loop.

My BIL and his family with younger kids will be over there part of the time, and we were talking about doing a snorkel trip, probably either with Trilogy or Teralani.  Anyone else I should look at?  I'd read that Molokini gets a little overrated, thoughts on that vs. the west Maui spots?  Never done one of these before.

Anybody ever done any fishing out of Lahaina?  There are several well-reviewed charters, which look like they range from laid-back to extremely hard core (leave at 2am kind of stuff).  Primarily we'll have to decide if we want to do bottom fishing or go out deep for big pelagics.  My older one has catching a Mahi Mahi on his bucket list, so that will figure into the equation.  If anyone has any experience or advice, I'm all ears.

Can't wait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Anybody ever done any fishing out of Lahaina?  There are several well-reviewed charters, which look like they range from laid-back to extremely hard core (leave at 2am kind of stuff).  Primarily we'll have to decide if we want to do bottom fishing or go out deep for big pelagics.  My older one has catching a Mahi Mahi on his bucket list, so that will figure into the equation.  If anyone has any experience or advice, I'm all ears.

Can't wait.

We caught Mahi Mahi on a 3 or 4 hour trip out of Lahaina.  You don’t have to travel far to start deep sea fishing.  I wouldn’t see a need to do a 2am leaving trip unless you want to spend a day just fishing.  We trolled the whole time and it was just 5 of us, the captain and a deckhand. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  Yeah, that one in particular, Die Hard, looks impressive but would probably be wasted on us.  We've been out sailfishing at Isla Mujeres and had a blast, but aren't super serious.  I'd think targeting Mahi wouldn't require the intensity of chasing marlin.

Edit:  Man, reading the Yelp and Google reviews on all these guys is an absolute beating.  Once you get past the one-star reviews unreasonable people leave because they didn't catch anything, they all have at least a handful of legitimate sounding but sometimes conflicting negatives.  Makes you wonder if they review bomb each other.

I did find one, Like Try, with consistently excellent reviews; however, they damn well better since their 6-hr rate is $8250.  I'll be leaving that to the Surly 0.1%, thanks.

Edited by Damor
muledick

Starting to poke around at accomodations. I have a solid lead from a friend but thought I might ask here, as well. Ideally would like an independently rented (VRBO or Airbnb) 2 bedroom villa/condo in a resort with beach access. Papakea is where they stayed and it looks pretty good. If anyone has any recs on either specific properties or general locations, would love to hear them.

Kids 10, 13

We will swim in a pool more than the ocean but ocean front is nice

No golf

I went to Hawaii September of 2021 for a week. Had a blast while I was there and saw a high school classmate and his family. Had not seen him since graduation.  I want to go back to Hawaii, but it will probably be 2024 before I do that. I have a few other places I want to go surfing that are on my bucket list of surf spots. I did not get to do any good sized waves in Hawaii because I was trying to see as much as possible while I was there. Still had fun surfing Chun’s Reef. 

@Baboontyme, the Tripadvisor "forums" are a total beating, but it sounds like there is consensus that you can do better renting through one of the local island agencies than VRBO/AirBnB due to the fees and add on charges.  I didn't pursue that much, though. 

I only really looked around Napili because that's where we wanted to stay, but there are several condo complexes around there that have a rental portal, though they aren't part of big resorts.  Prices range from stupid to ludicrous.

• Like 1