Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

There are multiple examples this year of companies announcing that they will be laying off thousands of employees. Facts and data don't matter to the "but muh feelings" crowd.
BP announced that they will be laying off 10,000 people literally yesterday.
There's a federal law requiring companies with > 100 employees to give at least 60 days notice of layoffs and closures in most situations. Every state department of labor posts WARN notices online for all to see.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  I think it's clear, the thing that would most stop violence in Chicago is.....open gun shops on every street corner and sell them like hot dogs.  JFC.

Cause making it harder has helped them so much. If we want police to have a smaller role, then we want the citizens to be able to protect themselves. 

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Cause making it harder has helped them so much. If we want police to have a smaller role, then we want the citizens to be able to protect themselves. 

That's the point....it HASN'T made it harder, because neighboring jurisdictions DGAF.  Do you fucking SERIOUSLY think that MORE access to firearms is going to help reduce violent crime in Chicago?  If so....show your work.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your only response to the idea of defunding police so that they are a more narrowly-focused entity is variations on "the world is so dangerous, and you'll regret not having police in every nook and cranny to protect us!"  You've 100% bought into the police as the shepherds, and without them on every street corner, we are going to all fall victim to the horrors of violent crime that lurks behind every bush and fire hydrant.

And you've 100% bought into every cop is a fucking monster and we live in a police state akin to the 1950's Eastern block.  Spare me your continual histrionics.  I didn't even say defunding was in itself a bad idea.  I questioned the unintended consequences, but you are so fucking spun up with the bullshit argument in your head you can't even see it.  

Baltimore went this route after Freddie Grey.  It's a fucking war zone now.  Literally.  Not figuratively.  Almost TWO THOUSAND homicides since the riots.  More than 350 last year.  A murder rate exceeding many 3rd world countries.  Five LE commissioners since 2015.  One a year.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat.  Arrests are down by more than a half, indicating the cops having just given the fuck up and are down almost 400 officers from levels they need to protect the city.  Homicide solve rates hovering around 30%....managed by maybe two dozen detectives to work the ENTIRE city.  Last year, a half-dozen off-duty police employees were violently attacked or robbed, including a top deputy to the commissioner, who was mugged at gunpoint in a popular neighborhood. Another cop was shot and nearly killed on his front lawn.  

And again, for the fourth fucking time - who suffers?  The people in the communities who get caught up in the middle of this shit storm, so excuse the fuck out of me for daring to question the untended consequences of burn it the fuck down.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And you've 100% bought into every cop is a fucking monster and we live in a police state akin to the 1950's Eastern block.  Spare me your continual histrionics.  I didn't even say defunding was in itself a bad idea.  I questioned the unintended consequences, but you are so fucking spun up with the bullshit argument in your head you can't even see it.  

Baltimore went this route after Freddie Grey.  It's a fucking war zone now.  Literally.  Not figuratively.  Almost TWO THOUSAND homicides since the riots.  More than 350 last year.  A murder rate exceeding many 3rd world countries.  Five LE commissioners since 2015.  One a year.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat.  Arrests are down by more than a half, indicating the cops having just given the fuck up and are down almost 400 officers from levels they need to protect the city.  Homicide solve rates hovering around 30%....managed by maybe two dozen detectives to work the ENTIRE city.  Last year, a half-dozen off-duty police employees were violently attacked or robbed, including a top deputy to the commissioner, who was mugged at gunpoint in a popular neighborhood. Another cop was shot and nearly killed on his front lawn.  

And again, for the fourth fucking time - who suffers?  The people in the communities who get caught up in the middle of this shit storm, so excuse the fuck out of me for daring to question the untended consequences of burn it the fuck down.  

"Honey, I know I beat the everloving fuck out of you on a regular basis, but if you stay here with me, you at least have a roof over your head, and I keep the pantry full.  No matter what you do, I'll still beat the shit out of you.  But think about how bad it will be if you leave me."

You think that a culture that doesn't just commit wrongful conduct regularly, but THAT COVERS FOR IT ALL THE FUCKING TIME, is salvageable.  It's not.  I haven't "bought into" shit -- I've watched it in real-time.  Again, look at the three cops who watch a murder in MN.  Watch 57 cops walk off the squad when two officers are disciplined in Buffalo NY.  It's them against us, they've made it crystal fucking clear.

Edited by Brisketexan

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Honey, I know I beat the everloving fuck out of you on a regular basis, but if you stay here with me, you at least have a roof over your head, and I keep the pantry full.  No matter what you do, I'll still beat the shit out of you.  But think about how bad it will be if you leave me."

You think that a culture that doesn't just commit wrongful conduct regularly, but THAT COVERS FOR IT ALL THE FUCKING TIME, is salvageable.  It's not.

Being willfully obtuse?  Got it.  Disregard previous attempts and tread carefully because you are so wrapped in your righteous indignation no other options could suffice.  And if you are wrong.  Fuck it.  Doesn't really affect you either way, you get to go back to your gated community and post more online.  

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And Briskets entire point is that not all cops are bad cops but as a group they act badly. That’s why this reform is needed. We have to break those traditional power structures and thinking.

The Baltimore situation was addressed by @TwiceHorn but you ignored it.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Being willfully obtuse?  Got it.  Disregard previous attempts and tread carefully because you are so wrapped in your righteous indignation no other options could suffice.  And if you are wrong.  Fuck it.  Doesn't really affect you either way, you get to go back to your gated community and post more online.  

Gated community my ass.

My father had the everloving fuck beaten out of him by a crooked cop years ago.  We thought he was dead.  Had to bribe a jailer with $20 he'd hidden in his shoe to even call us to let us know he was alive, and stuck in jail in Dicklick Texas.  My family has been victimized by these fucksticks.  Like millions of others.

Every cop in that PD knew what was going on.  The jailers did.  They all kept quiet.  Because that's what they fucking do.  Forever and ever, amen.  You claim that all the good cops out there don't let bad cops get away with it.  Go ahead and find the example or two where they did.  For each one of those, we'll pull up a hundred where they didn't.  Cops protect bad cops....which means that almost all cops are BAD COPS.  Cops don't protect people from bad cops.  They do literally the exact opposite.  You holler loudly that it's not true.....when we show you fucking PLATOONS of cops watching misconduct happen and not stop it, you are unpersuaded.  When they'd sooner walk off the job than see another cop disciplined, you are unpersuaded.  Evidence doesn't move you.  At all.  And you call ME willfully obtuse?  Fucking rich.

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And Briskets entire point is that not all cops are bad cops but as a group they act badly. That’s why this reform is needed. We have to break those traditional power structures and thinking.

The Baltimore situation was addressed by @TwiceHorn but you ignored it.

OF course he did.  Baltimore is the cautionary tale the abusive spouse waves in front of the battered wife who's finally about to leave -- "oh yeah?  If you leave me....look what will happen to you. Look what happened to your friend, Baltimore."

Nevermind that Baltimore is its own narrative.  Nope, any attempt to get out of this abusive relationship must be resisted at all costs.

One of my favorite aspects of the ongoing debate is that apparently we shouldn't trust the same old people who have allowed this problem to fester for decades to help figure out and implement a solution when they're politicians of a certain stripe but we definitely should trust the same old people who have allowed this problem to fester for decades to help figure out and implement a solution when they're cops.

Edited by Huckleberry

AJC (AustinJustice Coalition)has launched a petition to defund Austin police force. 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/defund-austin-police-petition/269-bdd374ab-69a8-4d1a-adcd-dbe64b026b7d

The Austin City Council will be meeting on Thursday to discuss police reform. The AJC is calling on council members to commit to the following items at that meeting:

1. "To demand the resignations of the failed public safety leadership: Chief Brian Manley, his Chief of Staff Troy Gay and the civilian management lead Assistant City Manager Rey Arellano.
  2. To direct the city manager to decrease the APD budget by $100 million in the fiscal year that starts on Oct. 1, 2020.
  3. To pledge to continue to significantly decrease the police department’s budget in subsequent years as Austin builds out robust and well-funded alternatives to policing.
  4. To protect and expand current investments in non-police public health and safety strategies and direct assistance to those most in need due to the pandemic.
  5. To pursue investments in community-led initiatives to prevent violence, instead of police.
  6. To do everything in my power to compel APD and all law enforcement agencies to immediately cease enacting violence on community members and hold those that have engaged in violence accountable."

OD's are almost exclusively due to illegality. Legalizing such drugs won't stop OD's completely, but absolutely damn sure will cut occurrences way way way down. That's not to say there won't be dumbfucks ruining their lives with whatever they like to misuse, because there absolutely will be such people, just like the alkies and the 3-pack-a-day puffers. 

Disclaimer: I'm one of the fortunate ones with a bad reaction to pretty much every opiate I've ever encountered: legal, illegal makes no nevermind... one low-dose hydro-oxy-whatever and I'll be puking my guts out for the next eight hours. Welcome to my share, however great or small it may be.

EWOD - End War on Drugs

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Still, legalize it.

By the way, alcohol -- you can get shitfaced once, get behind the wheel, and die.

sure but with alcohol you have to make 2 bad decisions. drink enough to be shitfaced and then decide to get behind the wheel.

Guest Lobo

So we're up just the legality of things based on number of bad decisions leading to a lethal ending?  Two bad choices to own and die with a gun, two with alcohol and a car, two with a knife and a weaker person in your vicinity, an airplane and a mountain, and the list goes on and on.  If everything is two steps away from being outlawed...you're really not gonna like what happens next with simple shit...like food.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Still, legalize it.

By the way, alcohol -- you can get shitfaced once, get behind the wheel, and die.

Well, that's true of any intoxicant.  You can actually get shitfaced enough to die on booze.  See, e.g. Seeburger, Mark.

Guest Lobo
22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Just train cops to shoot people in the leg.  Why are you fuckers making this so complicated?

Because your leg is the size of the dick of the race of men you want to eradicate, you simple fucking child.  All your money and all your banter and I've accidentally fallen into more GOP power than you'll ever know (and I grew up a working class Mexican).  because you're a small man of low intellect.  

Edited by Lobo

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

sure but with alcohol you have to make 2 bad decisions. drink enough to be shitfaced and then decide to get behind the wheel.

drinking enough to get shitfaced isn't a bad decision in and of itself.

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Because your leg is the size of the dick of the race of men you want to eradicate, you simple fucking child.  All your money and all your banter and I've accidentally fallen into more GOP power than you'll ever know (and I grew up a working class Mexican).  because you're a small man of low intellect.  

so you were the one holding those signs...

I read that as tongue in cheek, as though part of the solution to this problem is as simple as simply shooting them in the leg as Biden proposed.

Guest Lobo
24 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I read that as tongue in cheek, as though part of the solution to this problem is as simple as simply shooting them in the leg as Biden proposed.

Your mom has a leg under her tongue in cheek.  Dammit, i had something for this.  ;)   yeah man.  

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

AJC (AustinJustice Coalition)has launched a petition to defund Austin police force. 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/defund-austin-police-petition/269-bdd374ab-69a8-4d1a-adcd-dbe64b026b7d

The Austin City Council will be meeting on Thursday to discuss police reform. The AJC is calling on council members to commit to the following items at that meeting:

1. "To demand the resignations of the failed public safety leadership: Chief Brian Manley, his Chief of Staff Troy Gay and the civilian management lead Assistant City Manager Rey Arellano.
  2. To direct the city manager to decrease the APD budget by $100 million in the fiscal year that starts on Oct. 1, 2020.
  3. To pledge to continue to significantly decrease the police department’s budget in subsequent years as Austin builds out robust and well-funded alternatives to policing.
  4. To protect and expand current investments in non-police public health and safety strategies and direct assistance to those most in need due to the pandemic.
  5. To pursue investments in community-led initiatives to prevent violence, instead of police.
  6. To do everything in my power to compel APD and all law enforcement agencies to immediately cease enacting violence on community members and hold those that have engaged in violence accountable."

Odd. They claim their site is down due to traffic yet their twitter feed is a ghost town. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No idea. But why is there a curfew? We couldn’t institute stay home orders effectively for a disease that has killed 110k Americans but we can when people want to protest?

Stay at home orders: BUT MUH RIGHTS FUCK PUBLIC SAFETY 

Curfew: guys let’s respect the rules and the cops ok 

• Like 3