Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

Actually, we do know what preceded it....there clear video of him grabbing a woman who was in front of him and slamming her to the ground. Then it’s a series of skirmishes and fights that follow. It’s a mess.

But it does deserve a spot in the hall of “don’t start no shit, won’t be no shit.”

You arm yourself and start a fight, then shoot unarmed people, you better not expect that’s self-defense.

Dude in Pasadena killed his neighbor for having a party. He videotaped the confrontation, and he clearly escalated the situation by brandishing his firearm to his drunk neighbors. Drunk dudes rushed him, dude shot and killed 1. Got convicted of murder in Pasadena, Texas.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Modern version of Aunt Jemima logo

Aunt Jemima is racist.

At first they came for the pancake mix.  And I did not speak out, for I was not a pancake mix

Honestly I can't believe this didn't happen a long time ago. I think even as kids we knew Aunt Jemima was at the very least, a weird as fuck idea for a brand. 

Also it's humorous to me how Quaker over the years has slowly modified the image of Aunt Jemima. Kind of how like Tom and Jerry cartoons redubbed the voice of the old maid who used to always whoop Tom's ass.

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, we do know what preceded it....there clear video of him grabbing a woman who was in front of him and slamming her to the ground. Then it’s a series of skirmishes and fights that follow. It’s a mess.

But it does deserve a spot in the hall of “don’t start no shit, won’t be no shit.”

Maybe it’s because I’m on my phone or maybe there’s another video but I can’t tell WTF happened for the woman to end up on the ground. 

20 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Honestly I can't believe this didn't happen a long time ago. I think even as kids we knew Aunt Jemima was at the very least, a weird as fuck idea for a brand. 

Also it's humorous to me how Quaker over the years has slowly modified the image of Aunt Jemima. Kind of how like Tom and Jerry cartoons redubbed the voice of the old maid who used to always whoop Tom's ass.

I loved that episode when Tom got drunk and doused her with a bucket of water while she was sleeping.  Chairs and tables getting thrown while she beat his ass.  Good times. 

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe it’s because I’m on my phone or maybe there’s another video but I can’t tell WTF happened for the woman to end up on the ground. 

There's another video.  She was boxing him out for the rebound. He hooked her waist and flung her down pretty violently.

There's another video.  She was boxing him out for the rebound. He hooked her waist and flung her down pretty violently.

This one?

I thought the first shove was a hell of a lot more violent than the second one...The lady from the first shove gets up and stands next to him like nothing happened...wtf?

It looked like the timeline was he threw a female to the ground, others stepped in including someone hitting him with a skateboard, he backs out and appears to be leaving, and then several in the crowd rush him and take him down. After he gets up then you hear shots. That’s going to be an interesting case, because he is clearly going to argue self defense. Does his original action cancel that argument even though he was clearly backing out?

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

It looked like the timeline was he threw a female to the ground, others stepped in including someone hitting him with a skateboard, he backs out and appears to be leaving, and then several in the crowd rush him and take him down. After he gets up then you hear shots. That’s going to be an interesting case, because he is clearly going to argue self defense. Does his original action cancel that argument even though he was clearly backing out?

Only cops can claim self defense after escalating the violence, duh

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Fleeing helps to clear him of any instigating action.  It's gonna be interesting for sure though, especially because there seems to be a slew of misdemeanor assaults being committed by him and on him over an extended period of time.

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Only cops can claim self defense after escalating the violence, duh

It’s a similar argument being made against the cops. The argument with the Atl shooting was they had him identified, let him go and pick him up later. This guy is on video committing assault, you hear several people yelling to follow him and get his license plate, then a couple rush him and tackle him and one gets shot

15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I guess most people would be mad if the Lincoln memorial was torn down. 

Did you just compare that statue of a Spanish conquistador who literally enslaved a group of people, ordered that all men from that group over the age of 25 to have a foot chopped off, was ordered to be exiled from New Mexico, and finally was prosecuted by the Spanish government for "excessive force" to the Lincoln Memorial?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Can we finally change the Redskins name? The most egregious slur out there by a wide measure.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Did you just compare that statue of a Spanish conquistador who literally enslaved a group of people, ordered that all men from that group over the age of 25 to have a foot chopped off, was ordered to be exiled from New Mexico, and finally was prosecuted by the Spanish government for "excessive force" to the Lincoln Memorial?

I'm saying that it isn't just a statue to people. This dude wanted to"protect" it

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hurrrrrr durrrrrr

You're so close to making a sentence. I'm proud of you.

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Can we finally change the Redskins name? The most egregious slur out there by a wide measure.

I hate everything associated with that franchise. But I think it would be cool if they just went by Washington.

I thought the NJ Nets should have done the same when they moved to Brooklyn. Just call yourself Brooklyn. 

Coming up with some lame consultant made mascot name like the Washington Admirals or Washington, uhhh Generals. 

• Like 2

Thoughts and prayers to these poor cops

https://www.towleroad.com/2020/06/officer-karen-mcmuffin/

Says Officer Karen, holding back tears: “I said ‘don’t bother with the food because right now I’m too nervous to take it.’ It doesn’t matter how many hours I’ve been up. It doesn’t matter what I’ve done for anyone. Right now I’m too nervous to take a meal from McDonald’s because I can’t see it being made. I don’t know what’s going on with people nowadays, but please, just give us a break. Please just give us a break. I don’t know how much more I can take. I have been in this for 15 years and I have never ever had such anxiety about waiting for McDonald’s drive-thru food. So please just have a heart and if you see an officer just tell them ‘thank you.’ Because I don’t hear ‘thank you’ enough anymore.”

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

it’s because Parliament posted just a video from a far right right account that conveniently omitted him throwing a chick to the ground and then said based on the replies to the video from alt-right accounts, they think it was self-defense. Pretty hilarious he tried to present it as if he was legitimately trying to learn what happened and not just admit he was providing a slanted take from slanted sources.

49 minutes ago, Brew said:

46 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Fleeing helps to clear him of any instigating action.  It's gonna be interesting for sure though, especially because there seems to be a slew of misdemeanor assaults being committed by him and on him over an extended period of time.

I’m not a criminal lawyer, so there’s plenty I don’t know, but this is going to be a tricky case. I’m not sure what he did will amount to 1st or 2nd degree murder under the law, but he should definitely at least be convicted of something, maybe 3rd degree/manslaughter or a similar charge. Point is, you can’t walk into a protest with a gun, violently throw a woman to the ground, pepper spray the crowd, and then claim you were only trying to flee after you instigated the whole thing that and you had no choice but to pull out your gun (which appeared to already have the safety off before the altercation) and shoot someone multiple times. 

This guy’s social media posts regarding protesters, BLM, etc. will be extremely relevant. If he has a history of saying hateful things, threatening violence, etc. then that will certainly push the charges up. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'm saying that it isn't just a statue to people. This dude wanted to"protect" it

Well, yeah, clearly. While I can understand the vast majority of Americans wanting to protect the Lincoln Memorial from an angry mob, what would be this guy and his militia buddies' motivations for protecting this particular statue?

I mean, I can understand the overarching impulse to stand up for "law and order" in opposition to defacing public property and, honestly, I do get a bit of a Chinese Communist "Cultural Revolution" or 18th Century "French Revolution" vibe to these scenes of statues being torn down.

That said, the vast majority that I've seen be torn down absolutely have been statues that celebrate individuals who represented awful evil shit, so I'm not going to go out of my way to join up with a bunch of fake army cosplaying dorks to defend them unless I'm a true believer in what they symbolize.

Understand what I'm getting at?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

...words...Point is, you can’t walk into a protest with a gun, violently throw a woman to the ground, pepper spray the crowd, and then claim you were only trying to flee after you instigated the whole thing that and you had no choice but to pull out your gun (which appeared to already have the safety off before the altercation) and shoot someone multiple times. 

You claim to be an FBI agent, yet you have no idea about how guns function?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

it’s because Parliament posted just a video from a far right right account that conveniently omitted him throwing a chick to the ground and then said based on the replies to the video from alt-right accounts, they think it was self-defense. Pretty hilarious he tried to present it as if he was legitimately trying to learn what happened and not just admit he was providing a slanted take from slanted sources.

It will be an interesting case. He assaulted several people, then tried to flee. They chased him down, and instead of just trying to identify him, they assault him. One picture indicates the shooting victim may have had a knife, or similar object, in his hand. It may be determined that he was legitimately trying to flee and was attacked by a group of people, fearing for his life.

Either way, it seems he was there with the sole intention of escalating the situation until his firearm was “necessary” to defend himself.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Well, yeah, clearly. While I can understand the vast majority of Americans wanting to protect the Lincoln Memorial from an angry mob, what would be this guy and his militia buddies' motivations for protecting this particular statue?

I mean, I can understand the overarching impulse to stand up for "law and order" in opposition to defacing public property and, honestly, I do get a bit of a Chinese Communist "Cultural Revolution" or 18th Century "French Revolution" vibe to these scenes of statues being torn down.

That said, the vast majority that I've seen be torn down absolutely have been statues that celebrate individuals who represented awful evil shit, so I'm not going to go out of my way to join up with a bunch of fake army cosplaying dorks to defend them unless I'm a true believer in what they symbolize.

Understand what I'm getting at?

Yeah, I understand. I'd think that most people would like to put it to a vote on what to do with a statue instead of tearing it down. 

Then people can get mad, but most likely the statue won't be damaged, and people won't get hurt by thier own destruction like the kid whose head was smashed by one falling on him.

If you have people just going to destroy public property, but with no community support, I'd figure some of the community will go defend it if cops aren't.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not a criminal lawyer, so there’s plenty I don’t know, but this is going to be a tricky case. I’m not sure what he did will amount to 1st or 2nd degree murder under the law, but he should definitely at least be convicted of something, maybe 3rd degree/manslaughter or a similar charge. Point is, you can’t walk into a protest with a gun, violently throw a woman to the ground, pepper spray the crowd, and then claim you were only trying to flee after you instigated the whole thing that and you had no choice but to pull out your gun (which appeared to already have the safety off before the altercation) and shoot someone multiple times. 

This guy’s social media posts regarding protesters, BLM, etc. will be extremely relevant. If he has a history of saying hateful things, threatening violence, etc. then that will certainly push the charges up. 

Try steelmanning the defendant's case instead of strawmanning it.  It is a tricky case and there are undoubtedly undiscovered facts that will tilt one way or another:

Point is, you can’t walk into a protest with a gun,

Sure you can.

violently throw a woman to the ground,

in response to a battery from someone also in commission of felony (okay this is hard to steelman - that's pretty clear aggravated assault)

pepper spray the crowd.

use non-deadly force to deter a property felony...or if you meant it this way: in an attempt to flee

and then you were trying to flee

Okay.

after you instigated the whole thing

The chain of directly relevant events is debatable.  The "whole thing" is a mob committing a felony.  Charge the entire crowd with felony homicide if an arbitrary "whole thing" is the cause.

that and you had no choice but to pull out your gun and shoot someone multiple times.

Okay.

--- 

And there will be charges and convictions, probably multiple.  But you can't decide in your head that the dude woke up with an elaborate plot to kill someone.

Edited by JBJ

14 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

If you have people just going to destroy public property, but with no community support, I'd figure some of the community will go defend it if cops aren't.

I don't think the bolded is really a valid concern. The decision to put up the sculpture in the late 1990s was apparently quite controversial and has been remsined divisive ever since. Even the artist who was commissioned to create it has asked for it to be taken down.

Some good background (local news video):

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/a-look-at-the-history-of-the-juan-de-onate-la-jornada-statue/5762147/

OK, I'm going to re-hash some old grits over something that is stuck in my mind.

The strangler/killer cop when kneeliyon Mr. Floyds neck keeping his hand in his pants pocket.  Seems to me that wasn't just happenstance or coincidence.  Was he somehow pushing down on his thigh to apply more pressure, bracing himself somehow so he would be more stable while pinning Mr. Floyd?  It just seemed odd and there must be some nefarious reason that was done.

Thoughts? Any expert fighters on the Surl?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Thoughts and prayers to these poor cops

https://www.towleroad.com/2020/06/officer-karen-mcmuffin/

Says Officer Karen, holding back tears: “I said ‘don’t bother with the food because right now I’m too nervous to take it.’ It doesn’t matter how many hours I’ve been up. It doesn’t matter what I’ve done for anyone. Right now I’m too nervous to take a meal from McDonald’s because I can’t see it being made. I don’t know what’s going on with people nowadays, but please, just give us a break. Please just give us a break. I don’t know how much more I can take. I have been in this for 15 years and I have never ever had such anxiety about waiting for McDonald’s drive-thru food. So please just have a heart and if you see an officer just tell them ‘thank you.’ Because I don’t hear ‘thank you’ enough anymore.”

I really don't understand the hate she's getting. Her video comes across as a cry for help but not in the way she intended. She needs serious help if a bad interaction at McDonald's is causing so much grief. Whether it be a vacation or a visit with a physician, I hope she gets the help she needs. 

I really don't understand the hate she's getting. Her video comes across as a cry for help but not in the way she intended. She needs serious help if a bad interaction at McDonald's is causing so much grief. Whether it be a vacation or a visit with a physician, I hope she gets the help she needs. 

She’s a cop. Surly/Shaggy has a long and glorious tradition of hating cops.

Maybe it depends on what the intent was for the statue to celebrate?

So do you think that the statues of Columbus that have been torn down were originally erected to celebrate the wrongs committed upon the indigenous people or was it erected to celebrate him finding the new world?