Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

Just got asked, "What's the point in all these places, other than Minneapolis?" 

Had to admit that I don't really know. Some are "in support" of the Floyd protests, but ... what's the point?

When I was consulting, I used to tell clients to describe how things would be when their project was completed, from how they personally would interact with it, down to how their day-to-day business would be changed.

I'm asking that question here. What do we/they want? When the protests are done, what do we/they have to show for all the work? 

What's the fucking objective?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Haven’t caught up since late last night. Have we dealt with earlier posts about that “guy in Dallas being beat to death because he is white” bullshit, or is straight not trolling from garbage twitter accounts still rampant here?

#justaskingquestions

Yeah. Dude admitted he came looking for trouble and found it. He’s the top seed on Surly’s Protest Dumbass bracket 

#MyConciergeLifeMatters

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Had to admit that I don't really know. Some are "in support" of the Floyd protests, but ... what's the point?

When I was consulting, I used to tell clients to describe how things would be when their project was completed, from how they personally would interact with it, down to how their day-to-day business would be changed.

I'm asking that question here. What do we/they want? When the protests are done, what do we/they have to show for all the work? 

I think the objective is to express anger. They want to be heard. They want to be treated like human beings. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Some will have a sweet new 65” on the wall!

• Like 2

I dunno....were you pissed off on 9/11? Why? NYC and DC are over a thousand miles away from Austin.

Wait, you mean some people believe that a systemic problem that affects some Americans is a problem for all Americans? Interesting.
  • Like 3

KVUE reporter said that “for lack of better words, it’s sort of a festive atmosphere.”

These young people have for the most part been pent up as a result of the virus issue. IMO a lot of them are just getting out of the house out of boredom. 10 to 15 years from now most everyone in that crowd will be watching a similar display from the comfort of their homes as we are...because there is zero chance that they’re changing anything.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno....were you pissed off on 9/11? Why? NYC and DC are over a thousand miles away from Austin.

Wait, you mean some people believe that a systemic problem that affects some Americans is a problem for all Americans? Interesting.

What's the point?

• Like 1

What's the point?

Today?

Rage. A lot of justified rage. Understand that 95% of the protesters are doing just that. For another small percent, opportunism.

Tomorrow....the point will be to effect change of a problem that can no longer be ignored. It’s too scary and expensive to ignore.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Today?

Rage. A lot of justified rage. Understand that 95% of the protesters are doing just that. For another small percent, opportunism.

Tomorrow....the point will be to effect change of a problem that can no longer be ignored. It’s too scary and expensive to ignore.

what is going to be done different?  the guy has been arrested and charged with murder.  the feds have been called in already as well which I think was before the rioting started.

I'm thinking its a lot more than 5% being opportunists.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

wonder what would happen if the guy comes out with a gun and shoots everyone of those guys attacking his wife and store...

i'm waiting for this to happen.  1 of 2 things occur,  the ones doing this bullshit show up armed, and we have a war, or this shit gets nipped in the bud real quick when bodies start dropping.   either way its 2020 and this is Junes submission to fuck this year awards 

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Yes, having police and rioters stop intentionally trying to hurt each other is a great start, but only a start. (That by the way takes effort on both sides since you only seem concerned with violence going one way)

I've never supported the violence/property destruction coming from the rioters.  The thing is - I expect thieves, thugs, anarchists, etc. to act like, well, thieves, thugs, anarchists, etc.  It's in their nature, and if they get caught, they will be arrested.

But I don't expect the police to do things like shoot at law-abiding citizens for no reason - those two examples I listed, one of them, the people were on their own fucking front porch, perfectly in compliance with the curfew order, as was linked to earlier, and they were filming with their phones.  That's it.  They were not in the street, they were not even on the fucking sidewalk.    The other one, the guy was a good 50 feet away or more in a public area, and was only filming, the police were leaving and were already on their truck to leave, and they just decided to shoot him in the fucking face.

Neither of those two incidents had those folks who were shot running at the police, throwing anything at the police, nor were they breaking any laws.  They were presenting no threats to the police whatsoever.

But the police still shot at them.  Because they can.  Neither of those cops will be reprimanded for injuring innocent civilians.

And that's a huge fucking problem.

The thugs/thieves/anarchists/etc. are doing exactly what we expect them to do.

Meanwhile, the cops are not doing what we expect them to do.  They are not doing what we pay them to do.  The cops are adding to the chaos they are supposed to be preventing.

And every time a dumbass cop does something like that, it gets more people off the fence, to side against the cops, reinforcing their martyr complex.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what is going to be done different?  the guy has been arrested and charged with murder.  the feds have been called in already as well which I think was before the rioting started.

Probably 50/50 or worse. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Today?

Rage is a catalyst, it's not the point.

Opportunists abound, with various goals  other than the main body's goal, which you call "effect change of a problem". That sounds like the kind of shit most of the political Punch'n'Judy puppets spout, but if that's all you got, that's all I want.

Ultimately: change what? To what? How do you tell when your protest has done enough?

• Like 1

the people that legit want to protest need decide to organize, get permits, and probably wait 5-6 days after an event like this vs. trying to organize anything soon and get mixed up the the bullshit thug stuff.

I think police need to start shooting to disable.  I think once they get someone handcuffed and the person doesn't want to be put in the car they should just let them run around.  If someone resists arrest they should just let them go or if they have stun guns hit them right away.  don't wait. you either comply or you get hit.  

There should be massive education in schools on how police will act during a stop.

cops should be paid more and have serious independent govt oversight.

What you see on the news is skewed as hell, because the cameras are where the action is (fires etc), not where people are speaking and marching peacefully. The peaceful demonstrators VASTLY outnumber the troublemakers.
Opportunists abound, with various goals  other than the main body's goal, which you call "effect change of a problem". That sounds like the kind of shit most of the political Punch'n'Judy puppets spout, but if that's all you got, that's all I want.
Ultimately: change what? To what? How do you tell when your protest has done enough?

Actually, rage can be it’s own point. It has to be experienced and processed, or repeatedly repressed and denied.

The end result? Cops are as answerable to the law as all other citizens. AND...the culture of PDs has to be gutted, so they don’t do the kind of shit that puts them on the wrong side of the law.
  • Like 2

Haven’t caught up since late last night. Have we dealt with earlier posts about that “guy in Dallas being beat to death because he is white” bullshit, or is straight not trolling from garbage twitter accounts still rampant here?

#justaskingquestions
Sure it's been answered but that was handled last night and this morning

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Won't be a deemed a success in Austin until Whole Foods on 6th gets pounded.   Hit Tarrytown moms and then the shit gets real I guess. 

Meanwhile, Manley somehow allowed 35 to get shut down again today.    Unbelievable. 

No shit. Fire up the school busses and fill the damn jail. 

• Like 2

People are tired of police brutality and racism....Floyd was just the spark that lit the powder keg after nothing changed since 2016?? Protest

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I do understand what you are saying. What is the main goal? How do you achieve this goal? It’s like when I was in high school and the guidance counselor was like “What do you want to do after graduation?” And if your answer was “I want to make a lot of money.” The next question would be, “how are you going to make this money?” The successful ones are like, “be an accountant, lawyer, doctor or whatever so I can make enough money to afford what I want.” The ones who just want to make money without a specific plan to get there typically (not always) are not successful. 

there are so many goals:

Justice for Floyd.

to be treated like human beings.

to effect change in the government by having your voice heard. 
to change what is happening with the police. 
lots and lots of goals. 

while this may sound corny or even stupid, I think that the mere fact that the majority of Americans look at what happened to Floyd and say it was murder is a reason to hope. 
I’m not saying it’s not imperfect. We have systemic problems that can’t be fixed quick enough.
 I do worry that the acts of vandalism, destruction, looting etc over a long period of time absolutely take away from the message. I’m not saying it won’t effect change and I do realize the difference between protestors and those seeking to do harm and real damage. If the goal say is to remove Trump it may or may not be successful. Who knows? 

I said this before in the absence of true change despair and hopelessness follows. This year has been such a shit show. Hopefully, 2021 will not be. 

proud of all of those I know trying to make a difference out there. Keep at it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What you see on the news is skewed as hell, because the cameras are where the action is (fires etc), not where people are speaking and marching peacefully. The peaceful demonstrators VASTLY outnumber the troublemakers.

like all the people blocking highways?  Its way more than 5%. the people speaking and marching peacefully need to wait, they are getting drowned out anyway and we can't isolate the idiots/thugs.  they are going to have plenty of time to march and speak.

• Like 1

CNN is live in Santa Monica on the police line as they're trying to disperse the protesters gather there. This is amazing to see. Tear gas being shot from a distance and then the police move in a little more each time. 
So exactly like Dallas yesterday and other places

3 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

People are tired of police brutality and racism....Floyd was just the spark that lit the powder keg after nothing changed since 2016?? Protest

right 2016(you know 4 years ago) was the dividing line...

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

like all the people blocking highways?  Its way more than 5%. the people speaking and marching peacefully need to wait, they are getting drowned out anyway and we can't isolate the idiots/thugs.  they are going to have plenty of time to march and speak.

Blocking a highway is not a violent protest. 

• Like 5