HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Secrets of Dumbledore was the best of the Fantastic Beasts movies.   Mads is so much better in the Grindelwald role than Depp.  He’s got actual gravitas and is not just Johnny Depp being “quirky”.  Actually believable in his relationship to Dumbledore.  

Jesus did you start it at 6am or what? 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Jesus did you start it at 6am or what? 

Dropped at 2am.  On the tail-end of COVID and have been sleeping like shit at night.  It was this and try go back to sleep or get sucked into Stranger Things.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I will say it wasn’t bad. Mads should have been Grindewald from the beginning.

Yeah.  Depp being Depp works for plenty of movies but not here.  The restaurant scene at the beginning with Jude and Mads, I definitely felt like Mads should have been it from the beginning.  Mads felt a lot more menacing and focused than Depp's portrayal.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Don’t think it’ll be successful enough to warrant a 4th

It's going to be really close.  It's budget was $200 million, and it's about to hit $400 million at the box office.  Plus it just started streaming on HBO Max this morning.  Warner Brothers will be watching the streaming numbers like a hawk.  

They were originally going to do a trilogy and then spread it out to 5 movies.  I know they said they may not make the last two, but they could easily consolidate the last two down to one movie, cut the budget back a bit from $200 million, and wrap it up.

They supposedly have plans for new Harry Potter/Wizarding projects on HBO, and it seems like they'd want to do something to kind of fill in the gap between now and those future projects.

They really need to do a live-action big TV series geared at elementary-aged kids, like Star Trek with Prodigy.

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's going to be really close.  It's budget was $200 million, and it's about to hit $400 million at the box office.  Plus it just started streaming on HBO Max this morning.  Warner Brothers will be watching the streaming numbers like a hawk.  

They were originally going to do a trilogy and then spread it out to 5 movies.  I know they said they may not make the last two, but they could easily consolidate the last two down to one movie, cut the budget back a bit from $200 million, and wrap it up.

I hope they do - we deserve that Dumbledore/Grindewald famous duel in 1945 that has always been teased and mentioned and never shown.

Where to Find Them grossed $814m worldwide
Crimes of Grindewald grossed $654m worldwide

It's dropped over $250m from the second movie and 50% from the original.  That's why I feel a 4th and 5th are in danger of never happening.  If they package both into a final 2.5 hour movie and wrap it all up, I think they'd do it.  

Edited by Js1

Someone already mentioned Julia. +1. Very charming and enjoyable.

We enjoyed it and I learned a lot about the early development of public broadcasting. I did not realize how important her show was to the growth of PBS and syndication. Without her there might not have been Sesame Street and others.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It had to at least be in pre production if not filming by this point. Hopefully, he just cancelled it after S3.

Nope. No s3 at all 

“While we are not proceeding with a third season of Raised by Wolves, we are beyond grateful to the stellar cast and crew, our creators Aaron Guzikowski, Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker, and the entire team at Scott Free Productions, for their beautiful artistry and unique ability to immerse fans into the world of Kepler-22b,” HBO Max said in a statement to Variety Friday.

Edited by Js1

I finally finished a couple of the HBO Max shows this week.

The Flight Attendant (Season 2) - There were still some things to enjoy, but it was not nearly as good as the 1st.  Too much time spent inside her own head.  When they did it last season, she at least had a scene partner with Michael Huisman and they were trying to solve the crime. There was a point to it.  There were also too many storylines that either went nowhere or had a completely pointless endpoint.  Overall, just not nearly as sharp.

Tokyo Vice - I enjoyed this one for sure.  I would have liked more time with Myamoto and Katagiri on the cop side of things, but that's the largest complaint.  Still a great show and I hope it gets the second season, though if it hasn't happened yet, I don't know if it will.

Secrets of Dumbledore was the best of the Fantastic Beasts movies.   Mads is so much better in the Grindelwald role than Depp.  He’s got actual gravitas and is not just Johnny Depp being “quirky”.  Actually believable in his relationship to Dumbledore.  
Could not disagree more. I like Mads a lot, but not in that role.

I enjoyed The Staircase as someone who has been interested in the case ever since I saw the original docuseries back when we were still getting Netflix in the mail.

Thought it sagged and got kinda boring around episodes 5-7, but I enjoyed the last 30min or so and loved the ending.

Edited by CurlyDumps

I enjoyed The Staircase as someone who has been interested in the case ever since I saw the original docuseries back when we were still getting Netflix in the mail.
Thought it sagged and got kinda boring around episodes 5-7, but I enjoyed the last 30min or so and loved the ending.

And where do you fall on the case and his guilt?

ETA: I read Diane Fanning's book Written in Blood after the new docuseries episodes aired about 4? years ago. "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" is also a good listen - a British podcast that delved into the case.

IMO, Peterson is a lifelong parasite, liar, abuser, and manipulator who checks quite a few boxes on the psychopathy checklist. He murdered Liz Ratliffe for money (he convinced Liz to change her will after Liz's husband died, and benefited financially from her death). Written in Blood covers some of the weirdness surrounding Liz's death and MP attempting to control the estate.  Another cold, telling detail about that saga is that MP never officially adopted Margaret and Martha Ratliffe so he would keep getting government checks for fostering wards of the state or w/e.

And he did the same with Kathleen. There is an eerily similar pattern there. MP convinced Kathleen to make him the sole beneficiary of her 1.4 million dollar insurance policy, and then not long later she dies, too.  Frankly, it's totally conceivable that he planned to murder both women in advance.  With Nortel circling the drain and the stock plummeting, if Kathleen ended up being laid off, she was worth more to MP dead than alive.

Fortunately Kathleen was clever and bright herself, and never signed that document making MP the beneficiary of her life insurance policy - so that money went to her daughter Caitlin - after the piece of shit murderer tried to fight her in court for it.

Edited by CurlyDumps

So I have followed the case closely over the years as well and I too think he’s guilty as fuck. My question: will I get much out of the show?

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

So I have followed the case closely over the years as well and I too think he’s guilty as fuck. My question: will I get much out of the show?

I think there are things you'll find interesting. It kept me watching. Toni Collete, Colin Firth, and Parker Posey are really good. The show does a good job bringing Kathleen to life.  And if you're in the GAF camp, it's worth it to make it to the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

I tried to give Irma Vep a try since it has 100% on RT. But I just can’t get into it. It’s a slowwww burn so far. Anyone else see it and recommend to keep going?

i am in but it isn't knocking my socks off.  alicia, as wonderful as she is, can not do an american accent.

i am hanging in there longer than i probably should on some irrational hope that i know will never happen that we get a scene of alicia and her girlfriend that's emotionally torturing her right now going at it.  while i would understand if that wouldn't be enough to hold your particular attention, i refer to the immortal words of the impeccable ray gillette.

raw

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i am in but it isn't knocking my socks off.  alicia, as wonderful as she is, can not do an american accent.

i am hanging in there longer than i probably should on some irrational hope that i know will never happen that we get a scene of alicia and her girlfriend that's emotionally torturing her right now going at it.  while i would understand if that wouldn't be enough to hold your particular attention, i refer to the immortal words of the impeccable ray gillette.

raw

Oh I am 

• Haha 1

Ha, I just searched for “Irma Vep” to see if anyone is checking it out. I’ve only seen Ep1, and don’t really know what I'm watching, I’ve skimmed enough reviews to know it’s a really meta concept… that’s made even more meta with this latest incarnation. On a larger scale, I think the notion of hot girl on girl action popularized over tha past few decades is somewhat overrated (why do they then need me?) but holy shit, the sexual tension between Mira (Vikander) and Laurie (my new love, Adria Arjona) is incredible. If I keep,watching, that’s the only reason. I can’t detect a story that interests me enough to continue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i mean, they lost half or more of their stuff when Discovery/WB packed up all their shit and left in the last month.   but still that doesnt make that much sense.

GOT and several other shows alone should have made it fucking hella profitable the last 2 years.  And christ during Covid especially the 12+ months from March 2020- mainstream vaccines, people were stuck at home without a whole lot of stuff to do other than work out and watch shows.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
edit mixed up HBO Go and Max for a bit
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm sure they will just go back to HBO Go or whatever which is fine in my book.

Looks more like it's gonna be a new service merging HBOMax and Discovery+.  They're already starting to swap and share stuff between the two (ex. Magnolia shit on both). But like most media conglomerates they're just going to do it in a really inefficient, shitty, and most consumer unfriendly way possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I don't get all these articles saying that max will be going away.  One story I read said HBO max has ~3x the subscribers of discovery+.  Even if they want to slow down on the spending to make new stuff, why would you take down the existing content from the service that is bringing in more revenue?

Edited by WBT

I don’t fully understand the distinction between HBO and HBO Max. I sort of considered them to be the same thing, even though some series are labeled as HBO series and others are Max originals. Is there an actual difference?

HBO has made some of the very best television of the past 15-20 years, so anything that cuts into that would be very shitty. Would these rumored changes just affect the Max originals or all HBO programming?

Why in the hell would WB/Discovery acquire HBO just to burn it down? Here I was worried that AT&T was going to mess it up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I don’t fully understand the distinction between HBO and HBO Max. I sort of considered them to be the same thing, even though some series are labeled as HBO series and others are Max originals. Is there an actual difference?

HBO has made some of the very best television of the past 15-20 years, so anything that cuts into that would be very shitty. Would these rumored changes just affect the Max originals or all HBO programming?

Why in the hell would WB/Discovery acquire HBO just to burn it down? Here I was worried that AT&T was going to mess it up.

HBO = channel(s) on your cable package.

HBO Max = self-contained, isolated application for watching HBO, Max, and TCM content paid for through a direct subscription.

If you subscribe to a cable package that includes HBO, that also gives you access to HBO Max without having to pay more.

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

If you subscribe to a cable package that includes HBO, that also gives you access to HBO Max without having to pay more

U-verse also includes it on some of their tiers of internet service, which is how I've been getting HBO for the last couple years. Pretty nice, net neutrality concerns aside lol

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, sidis said:

If you subscribe to a cable package that includes HBO, that also gives you access to HBO Max without having to pay more

This is how I get HBO max. I don't think I've watched anything on the actual channel in years. I may cancel our subscription if they shutdown the app.