HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I didn’t know the max had to do with Cinemax. I thought it was their way if not using plus like everyone else.

Correct.  According to the company line at the time anyway.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

They could have combined the two, and called it HBO Max. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Correct.  According to the company line at the time anyway.

If Paramount hired the same ad folks, when Paramount officially merges with Showtime in the  next month or so, they'll just call the new service "+"

I just started The Other Two.   A Schitt’s Creek vibe but raunchier.  Enjoying it so far.   Good cast. 

My wife and I love it. Great mix of absurdity, grounded humor and pathos. Molly Shannon has had a really strong second act over the past 5 years or so.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:51 PM, 4th&Five said:

I just updated to Max and it looks like they were holding some stuff for the release at least.  The Bama Rush doc should be wild.  I'll watch the Smartless show too.

Saving the Bama Rush doc for tomorrow night. Should be hilarious or disturbing. Either way I’m good. 

On 5/23/2023 at 9:58 PM, WBT said:

It has Good Eats and Iron Chef America but I didn't see many of the other old Food Network shows from before it went to shit

Food network still has some good, newish shows. Beat Bobby Flay is solid assuming you don't hate Bobby Flay. The Kitchen can be okay. The endless Chopped iterations are becoming a beating at this point and there are quite a few others where I just keep flipping. Good Eats has to be the best show they ever aired - not sure which of the other older ones you like. 

Food network still has some good, newish shows. Beat Bobby Flay is solid assuming you don't hate Bobby Flay. The Kitchen can be okay. The endless Chopped iterations are becoming a beating at this point and there are quite a few others where I just keep flipping. Good Eats has to be the best show they ever aired - not sure which of the other older ones you like. 

Actual cooking shows were the best. Do they even have one left on the air?

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Beat Bobby Flay is solid assuming you don't hate Bobby Flay.

Assumptions Dont Assume GIF by SoulPancake

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Actual cooking shows were the best. Do they even have one left on the air?

If you want cooking shows, I'd suggest PBS on a Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Watching The Wire for the first time and the closed captioning has suddenly quit working.  It was working fine under the HBO Max app, but now only about a fifth of the lines come up and this is on any show, not just The Wire.  Anyone else having the same issue with the app?

On 5/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, 4th&Five said:

I just updated to Max and it looks like they were holding some stuff for the release at least.  The Bama Rush doc should be wild.  I'll watch the Smartless show too.

Wetzel and Forde were talking about Bama Rush. Didn't sound that wild. Probably just some glitz to throw on the home page.

The best part of the Bama Rush doc was realizing kids from all over the country want to go to a mid tier public school in rural fucking Alabama.  Kids from all over want to go to UC Boulder but it's in fucking Boulder.  Nick Saban is worth his weight in gold to them just in marketing to out of state students alone.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, KingBobo81 said:

The Bama rush documentary was god awful - the director decided to inset herself and her personal issues with alopecia as a somewhat significant portion of the production. No, I'm not kidding.

Yep, I read some of the reviews and decided to skip it. Good decision. 

I'm friendly with a former Bama Phi Mu. Yes, she's a thoroughbred and of course she teaches aerobics for a living. She married a really quiet tall dude that doesn't seem to be wealthy. If Bama is the top Greek school in the country, and Phi Mu is a top sorority, it feels like she should have done better. 

I regret not taking a road trip to Bama while in school. It sounded like a lot of fun. 

Anybody else having problems with it not showing shows that you've been watching on the continue watching list? I've been watching The Sopranos and it doesn't show up, and it doesn't keep track of the episodes I've watched since the switch.

It started that after this update.

Here's some more "continue watching" fun.

So take any series I've watched all the way through. Rome, GoT, HotD, BBT, whatever. Doesn't matter.

Most of those transferred over and showed up in my continue watching list. Rome and HotD did not.

The first time I go to continue watching, start up where I left off, when I come back next time it's gone. All the episodes start with like 10 second of the credits left, and go onto the next one, which plays from the beginning.

So now when I go into Max to resume watching, it thinks I've watched them all and need to start over, instead of picking up where I actually left off from.

Quite frustrating, to say the least.

Can't say if it would do it on a new series I've never watched, if I were to watch all the way through and then go back to it again. Hasn't been enough time.

So I tried all the internet fixes that may/may not work (they didn't), and finally called support. No real help, but it's a known issue and my case # was added to that existing queue with other people having the same issue.

At least it will be fixed, but who knows how long it may take. I would think that they should be hot onto stuff like that, but who knows.

Oh, and their new UI sucks severely dirty ass too. Fuck having to scroll left to right through everything, when the grid was much more efficient.

8 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Oh, and their new UI sucks severely dirty ass too. Fuck having to scroll left to right through everything, when the grid was much more efficient.

This shit right here. 

Anyone else having issues with the lineup you're scrolling through being just out of frame, too? I can only see the top half on everything as it's on the bottom of my screen and have to scroll down then back up to make it work. 

• Rage+1 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:27 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Somebody Somewhere. We are into the second season. It’s quirky show based in Manhattan KS. First season was very good, second season the main character is just plain unlikeable. My wife’s typical comment is “what a cunt!”

I actually like the second season.  Gonna watch the finale tonight.  I like these kinds of shows.  

My wife has a counselling degree and is always analyzing characters like this.  She said that the main character is just broken.

The cunt pillows just killed me.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I actually like the second season.  Gonna watch the finale tonight.  I like these kinds of shows.  

My wife has a counselling degree and is always analyzing characters like this.  She said that the main character is just broken.

The finale was great. No idea on season 3 yet but they left it in a place where it could be over 

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's a shitty app and doesn't remember your settings, or where you left off on a show or series.

Yep. They’re working on it.

My question is, “why should they have to?”

By that I mean couldn’t they have just updated the HBO Max app with new graphics?

At least that shit worked.

But no, lets reinvent the wheel. 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Yep. They’re working on it.

My question is, “why should they have to?”

By that I mean couldn’t they have just updated the HBO Max app with new graphics?

At least that shit worked.

But no, lets reinvent the wheel. 🙄

But they're not the same.  This one goes up to Max.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I wrote that before we watched the last two eps. The last two eps saved the season. Sam finally showed a different side, and everything wrapped nicely just in case there’s not a third season. We enjoyed a lot about this show.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I heard part of an interview yesterday with a former HBO exec. He said they will be talking about the guy that is in charge of this for years in business classes as a perfect example of what not to do to an established brand.