HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Same with Amazon.  This is what AT&T does.  HBO hasn't been on Dish for like 2 years now.  AT&T also won't do agreement for their sports channels.  They need to be broken up because they are fucking over consumers.  They aren't supposed to withhold HBO in order to hurt competitors and they said they wouldn't before the merger.

Hahahahaha 

After my day long battle on Friday with DTV, I tried out my 'free' MAX subscription. Little pissed that the app wasn't automatically on Firestick, just dumb. But since it is on PS4/XBOX, I might as well use the PS4 remote for something. Shocked by just how much content they had. I wasn't expecting DC/CN and TCM. 

@henrygandorf , How is the BritBox sub? Planning a binge on my next comp day. Based on the Prime teasers, they have tons of good stuff.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Same with Amazon.  This is what AT&T does.  HBO hasn't been on Dish for like 2 years now.  AT&T also won't do agreement for their sports channels.  They need to be broken up because they are fucking over consumers.  They aren't supposed to withhold HBO in order to hurt competitors and they said they wouldn't before the merger.

If AT&T is involved, and something is shitty, I always assume it's AT&T's fault.  Roku and Amazon aren't saints, but the fact that it's the two biggest streaming platforms makes me think it's AT&T.  That and their shenanigans with Dish, etc.

Right now, not being on Amazon and Roku devices, that's almost 70% of the streaming market.  I'm surprised AT&T shareholders aren't getting pissed off.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/att-layoffs-continue-with-600-job-cuts-at-warner-bros-and-hbo/

AT&T's WarnerMedia division is planning to lay off hundreds of employees in AT&T's latest cost-cutting move. "Warner Bros. is expected to commence layoffs of around 650 people starting Monday, according to people familiar with the matter, while HBO is seen shedding between 150 and 175 staffers. A WarnerMedia spokesman declined to comment," Variety reported yesterday.

The numbers quoted in Variety may be a bit too high. A source with knowledge of the AT&T layoffs told Ars that the real number is about 600 jobs across all of WarnerMedia, which includes Warner Bros., HBO, and Turner.

The layoffs come days after WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar announced a shakeup including the departure of three executives and an increased focus on AT&T's new HBO Max streaming service. Kilar detailed the changes in an internal memo published by CNBC on Friday.

In its Q2 2020 earnings report, AT&T said that HBO revenue was "$1.6 billion, down 5.2 percent year over year, reflecting a decrease in subscription revenues and content and other revenues." HBO operating expenses were "$1.5 billion, up 32.5 percent year over year, primarily due to higher programming costs and expenses related to HBO Max." HBO operating income was $113 million, down 80.3 percent.

You want to increase your revenue, you get off your ass and you make nice with the two companies who have 70% of the market.

Oh wait, it's fucking AT&T.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If AT&T is involved, and something is shitty, I always assume it's AT&T's fault.  Roku and Amazon aren't saints, but the fact that it's the two biggest streaming platforms makes me think it's AT&T.  That and their shenanigans with Dish, etc.

Right now, not being on Amazon and Roku devices, that's almost 70% of the streaming market.  I'm surprised AT&T shareholders aren't getting pissed off.

Well it's not that surprising in the way they have just basically given up on their DirecTV business. Sure long term it was always going to be an issue but just allowing hundreds of thousands of customers to walk every quarter with nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders seemed a little odd. On top of the fact they should have seen streaming coming from a mile away and built the best and cheapest option available but they fucked that up too. DirecTV/AT&T and Blockbuster have a hell of a lot in common.

I signed up for a trial to get on board with Hard Knocks starting back up.  There is no HBO Max app for Roku still but you can login into the old HBO app on there with your HBO Max account.  It does not seem to have all the Max content but it has all the HBO content.  You can also chromecast from the app on either Android or IOS.

I was in an ATT store a couple of months ago looking at IPhones.  I noticed the promotions for the ATT Now service.  Great looking product.  That being said, whoever are that powers that be are either being deliberately obtuse to cord cutting trends or they are stuck on the notion that satellite and cable and their subscription models are the only way people watch tv.  

In this day and age, they want to offer you their streaming product and then lock you into a two year contract on top of that(implies 2x,3x bump for second year of service).  

AT&T is showing not to be too bright

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-comics-dc-universe-layoffs-fallout

Simply put, “WarnerMedia doesn’t want to be in the comics business. It wants to be in the character business,” another source with knowledge of Warner Bros. operations tells me. That same source contends that the company may have no longer wanted DC and its comics to be the driving force behind entities that are so important to WB franchising and licensing goals. Moving forward, both sources believe comics will be just a small part of the necessary intellectual property maintenance needed to keep corporate cash cows like Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman humming along.

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I wonder how many people are sitting on the sidelines waiting for them to make a deal with Amazon and Roku before they renew their HBO subscriptions?

Most people using Amazon devices or Roku don't know how to sideload, stream from another device, etc.  They control around 70% of the streaming devices.  I would imagine a lot.

If it was available on Roku today, I would order right now.  I can stream from other devices with no problems, but it's more annoying than anything, and I don't want the kids messing around with it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m about to go to Apple TV and dump Roku. Sick of having to fire up the Xbox to watch HBO Max. Also, the Roku remote eats batteries like nothing I’ve ever seen. Sometimes they last a month, sometimes a week.

I went fire tv to Apple TV. Holy shit way better 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m about to go to Apple TV and dump Roku. Sick of having to fire up the Xbox to watch HBO Max. Also, the Roku remote eats batteries like nothing I’ve ever seen. Sometimes they last a month, sometimes a week.

Apple TV is pretty cool, especially during football season. I believe it's the only platform that allows you multicast 4 ESPN games at once. 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:36 PM, BonzoMontreaux said:

I was in an ATT store a couple of months ago looking at IPhones.  I noticed the promotions for the ATT Now service.  Great looking product.  That being said, whoever are that powers that be are either being deliberately obtuse to cord cutting trends or they are stuck on the notion that satellite and cable and their subscription models are the only way people watch tv.  

In this day and age, they want to offer you their streaming product and then lock you into a two year contract on top of that(implies 2x,3x bump for second year of service).  

Part of the issue AT&T has with DirecTV is the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket deal is set to expire next year.  AT&T is trying to maintain leverage (and screw consumers) by not carrying NFL Network or RedZone on U-verse or AT&T Now (now called AT&T TV).   It seems like they are going to try to convince Goodell and NFL owners that an exclusive cross-AT&T platform deal for Sunday Ticket will maximize revenue for the league.  

The price is going to be insane and the NFL will make a windfall whomever they select.  Amazon and Apple jumping into the fray will only amplify it.

The other issue is that AT&T TV (the streaming TV solution) customer retention is not exactly great.  Google competes with Youtube TV, which is actually a good product, and then there are Hulu and Sling each with decent offerings.  AT&T TV's app is also downright horrible.   Very little in terms of improvement over the last two years.

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you go that route... FYI you can control the Apple TV from your iPhone or iPad. The actual physical remote for Apple TV isn't the greatest user experience. 

38 minutes ago, YChang said:

If you go that route... FYI you can control the Apple TV from your iPhone or iPad. The actual physical remote for Apple TV isn't the greatest user experience. 

It’s also small as fuck and it’s always getting misplaced and then you shift and your ass cheek changes the channel right before Luka hits a game winning 3 in OT

57 minutes ago, YChang said:

My Samsung remote easily handles control for my Apple TV. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s also small as fuck and it’s always getting misplaced and then you shift and your ass cheek changes the channel right before Luka hits a game winning 3 in OT

Maybe don't put the remote in your ass, NowThis. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, YChang said:

The actual physical remote for Apple TV isn't the greatest user experience. 

You can toggle between AppleTV and other content - Netflix, Amazon Prime, AT&T TV Now, HBO Max, etc. You even change channels and control the volume. My parents are nearly octogenarians and can use the damn thing. Not sure what you’re looking for unless it’s that whole ass play thing suggested above 

42 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

You can toggle between AppleTV and other content - Netflix, Amazon Prime, AT&T TV Now, HBO Max, etc. You even change channels and control the volume. My parents are nearly octogenarians and can use the damn thing. Not sure what you’re looking for unless it’s that whole ass play thing suggested above 

Yeah, it’s more of that it’s small and easy to fall between the couch cushions, etc...

I end up using my iPad/phone more often now. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, TKthunder2 said:

The Calm videos on HBO max are pretty good especially when your trying to wind down for the day.  Almost like ASMR with high def 4K videos.

Watched the space one last night while smoking a bowl.  Can recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Richard Jewell was much better then I thought it would be.  Great cast with Sam Rockwell, Cathy Bates, Jon Hamm and Paul Hauser was great as Richard.

It's a well done, well paced movie.  But implying that the reporter character slept with the FBI agent is hugely problematic.  She fucked up enough on this (and died young).  That they portrayed her as sleeping with the FBI for scoops is disappointing.  It works if purely fiction and not based on true story, but really weighs down what could have been a good movie.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Flight Attendant is painfully bad. No idea how it’s getting good reviews. 96% from the critics, 62% from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes. 

I was considering starting it. Maybe I’ll hold off 

Shocker, Kaley Cuoco can’t act or produce. I assume HBO bought good reviews from the critics to prop up their streaming service and as a thank you to Cuoco for Big Bang Theory being on the their platform. The audience score never lies. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Flight Attendant is painfully bad. No idea how it’s getting good reviews. 96% from the critics, 62% from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes. 

I don't love it, but hate it either. Cuoco is believable as a blackout drunk sloot.