Texas Women's Tennis 2020-2021 Let's Go!!!

LTtxfan

06.01.2020 | Women's Tennis

Women’s Tennis’ 2020 recruiting class ranked No. 1

TennisRecruiting.net tabbed Howard Joffe’s three-person freshman class as tops in the nation.

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas Women's Tennis team's 2020 recruiting class has been ranked No. 1 in the nation by TennisRecruiting.net, the web site announced Monday. Head Coach Howard Joffe and the Longhorns welcome a three-person freshman class to the Forty Acres this fall that includes Charlotte Chavatipon (Fullerton, Calif.), Malaika Rapolu (Cedar Park, Texas) and Peyton Stearns (Mason, Ohio).

This marks the first time since TennisRecruiting.net began its recruiting team rankings in 2005 that Texas has claimed the top-ranked class in the nation. All three incoming freshmen have been ranked among the Top 10 in the Class of 2020.

Texas earned 461 out of a possible 475 points and 10 of 19 first-place votes in the rankings. Following UT in the Top 5 of the class rankings are Georgia Tech, California, Virginia and North Carolina.

A panel of 19 voters which included reporters, national and international tournament directors, referees and ranking chairmen submitted their takes on the Top 25 recruiting classes. Schools received 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 points for each second-place vote, on down to 1 point for each 25th-place vote.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't really put much stock in tennis recruiting class rankings. So many players sign late or enroll in the winter that it adds so much volatility in the rankings. If you look at the historical rankings on TRN of Texas' recruiting class, they are #18 in 2012, #9 in 2010, #25 in 2007, #15 in 2006. Obviously Texas has outperformed those rankings- even during the Fendick Mccain era. I know the Turati twins, Granic, Poluta, Roldan, Labrana, Nagy, Padgemaite, Gajic, Noel Scott, and more weren't included in their respective class rankings. In fact the only one I know for a fact that was considered for class rankings in the Joffe rea previously was Perez Mur.

That's not to take away from the fact that Texas is going to be a powerhouse next year. If the team is A. Turati, Sun, Labrana, Perez Mur, Spasojevic, Stearns, Chavitapom, and Rapolu, I honestly think that for sure would warrant a top 3 national ranking next year.

While COVID has shut down the tour, there was an 8 women exhibition going on in Atlanta including that mainly consisted of top 300 players. Surprisingly Poluta was invited to participate. Poluta finished 7th (beating a blue chip senior) and I think that's a pretty good feat as she had been out of competitive tennis the longest compared to the other participants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

To be honest, I don't really put much stock in tennis recruiting class rankings. So many players sign late or enroll in the winter that it adds so much volatility in the rankings. If you look at the historical rankings on TRN of Texas' recruiting class, they are #18 in 2012, #9 in 2010, #25 in 2007, #15 in 2006. Obviously Texas has outperformed those rankings- even during the Fendick Mccain era. I know the Turati twins, Granic, Poluta, Roldan, Labrana, Nagy, Padgemaite, Gajic, Noel Scott, and more weren't included in their respective class rankings. In fact the only one I know for a fact that was considered for class rankings in the Joffe rea previously was Perez Mur.

That's not to take away from the fact that Texas is going to be a powerhouse next year. If the team is A. Turati, Sun, Labrana, Perez Mur, Spasojevic, Stearns, Chavitapom, and Rapolu, I honestly think that for sure would warrant a top 3 national ranking next year.

While COVID has shut down the tour, there was an 8 women exhibition going on in Atlanta including that mainly consisted of top 300 players. Surprisingly Poluta was invited to participate. Poluta finished 7th (beating a blue chip senior) and I think that's a pretty good feat as she had been out of competitive tennis the longest compared to the other participants.

Great Stuff... really hope to see both Tennis teams compete successfully nationally!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our team this season is showing concerning signs early this season. Today we only won 2 out of 11 of our matches against Baylor. Having Anna Turati back in the spring will help, and we can only hope Lulu Sun proves to be a solid line #2 type player, otherwise it could be a rough season if the rest of the girls don't improve 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our season schedule is interesting. We'll play against Baylor in the ITA kickoff event, then we play Baylor again in a non-conference match, and then we play Baylor again in conference. Good chance face them in the Big12 tournament too so we're looking at playing Baylor 4 times this season potentially. We also have non-conference matches against OU and OKST

• 2 weeks later...

Ryngler of course transferred to Pepperdine but I wonder what happened to Sophomore Adri Nagy. I'm assuming she just decided to go pro because I can't find her on any other college roster. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this season because we have a strong singles lineup that can compete with anyone as long as they stay healthy. I think our singles lineup will look something like this.

1. Anna Turati (Sr)

2. Peyton Stearns (Fr)

3. Lulu Sun (Fr)

4. Kylie Collins (Fr)

5. Fernanda Labrana (Sr)

6. Marta Perez Mur (Sr)

Season starts January 17th @ 10am vs. TBA

I'm hyped!

• 3 weeks later...

So Shvedova used to be a legit player. GS double winner, top 30 singles player, distinction of being the only player of achieving a golden set at a GS....Hasn't played more than five tournaments in the past two years though as she gave birth to twins in 2018. Good job for Bianca! Will be in the top 300.

https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/abu-dhabi-r1-b-turati-d-shvedova-6-1-6-2.1377975/

Top quotes:

"drawing Shvedova was like winning on a lottery. "

"only reason why Shvedova appeared in this tournament was to try avoiding the claim of "poor professional performance" at the next Australian Open"

"I’ve never seen Turati play - but hearing she has a one handed backhand - I instantly wish her well."

3 hours ago, Aleemay said:

So Shvedova used to be a legit player. GS double winner, top 30 singles player, distinction of being the only player of achieving a golden set at a GS....Hasn't played more than five tournaments in the past two years though as she gave birth to twins in 2018. Good job for Bianca! Will be in the top 300.

https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/abu-dhabi-r1-b-turati-d-shvedova-6-1-6-2.1377975/

Top quotes:

"drawing Shvedova was like winning on a lottery. "

"only reason why Shvedova appeared in this tournament was to try avoiding the claim of "poor professional performance" at the next Australian Open"

"I’ve never seen Turati play - but hearing she has a one handed backhand - I instantly wish her well."

Yeah I remember Anna Tatishvilli getting fined for that at the US Open a couple years back. Seems like highly subjective fine and I wonder why someone like Kyrgios has never been fined for that? (unless I missed it)

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-tennis/roster

The womens team must have had a photoshoot this week because the roster has been updated with new pictures and includes the addition of Kylie Collins!

First match is Sunday @ 2pm against UNT. Fingers crossed LHN broadcasts more of our matches since fans probably won't be encouraged to attend matches this season.

Texas def. UNT 7-0!

Anna looked dominate in her match. Payton looked the part at line #1. Lulu dropped her first set but was dominate in sets 2 and 3. Collins and Labrana were on the verge of losing their match in the third set but each of them somehow pulled through. Charlotte looked good winning in straights. Overall a good effort to open the season. We play SMU tomorrow at 1pm

Edited by perfectchaos007

Texas def. SMU 7-0. 

Anna moved up to #2 singles for this match, and won 6-1, 6-1. Labrana got a break from singles after her 3 hour win yesterday which allowed Rapolu to play her first team tennis singles match as a Longhorn. Rapolu won 6-3, 6-2 at line 6. The other ladies won in straight sets, and we won the doubles point to boot. 

Next up is our first of at least 3 scheduled matches this season against Baylor in the ITA kickoff on Saturday.