Bye bye Luby's

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m hoping that someone steps in to buy Fuddruckers. That was still one of my favorite burger places.

I hope so, too.  They have some good locations.  The place out in Bee Cave seems to do pretty well, and with all the televisions and bar it's a pretty nice set-up.

That was the first place I ever put cheese on my french fries (technically, wedges), and it was magical.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm seeing conflicting information here.  First thing I read said they were planning to liquidate, but a buyer could still come through.  Other things I'm seeing indicate they are being sold as part of the liquidation.

the plan is to liquidate and distribute assets to shareholders.  however that plan could change if a buyer steps up. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I hope so, too.  They have some good locations.  The place out in Bee Cave seems to do pretty well, and with all the televisions and bar it's a pretty nice set-up.

That was the first place I ever put cheese on my french fries (technically, wedges), and it was magical.  

They have one out in Bee Cave?  Where the hell is it?  I go through there all the time to head to Lakeway and thought I had hit up every decent lunch spot 5x over.  I don't like it all that much, but it's gotta be better than half the joints I've exhausted out there up until now.  Where is it?  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They have one out in Bee Cave?  Where the hell is it?  I go through there all the time to head to Lakeway and thought I had hit up every decent lunch spot 5x over.  I don't like it all that much, but it's gotta be better than half the joints I've exhausted out there up until now.  Where is it?  

It's right there in the Hill Country Galleria.

Lots of favorite restaurants have come and gone in my life.  Some closings have made me sad.   But, honestly, it's hard to imagine life without Luby's.   It's the first restaurant I remember.  When my parents didn't have much money, a splurge on a LuAnn platter was a real treat.  When I didn't have much money, a splurge on a full order was a real treat.  When we were flush, it remained a go to.   That's 50+ years of fried fish, baked fish, liver and onions, roast turkey, mac and cheese, red potatoes, okra, and the best tea.  Now, I go to the one down in Duncanville and get the best service and a terrific chicken fried steak.    The last time I visited my parents (July this year), one of our meals was Luby's takeout and it was perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Lots of favorite restaurants have come and gone in my life.  Some closings have made me sad.   But, honestly, it's hard to imagine life without Luby's.   It's the first restaurant I remember.  When my parents didn't have much money, a splurge on a LuAnn platter was a real treat.  When I didn't have much money, a splurge on a full order was a real treat.  When we were flush, it remained a go to.   That's 50+ years of fried fish, baked fish, liver and onions, roast turkey, mac and cheese, red potatoes, okra, and the best tea.  Now, I go to the one down in Duncanville and get the best service and a terrific chicken fried steak.    The last time I visited my parents (July this year), one of our meals was Luby's takeout and it was perfect. 

Yeah.....Luby's is definitely a touchstone in life for most Texans alive today.  Hard to imagine it being completely gone.  I have to think that the brand will somehow survive and turn into something.

Wow.  I gotta get a new eye exam (true story).  I've been to that Mandola's a half dozen times since I worked out in Lakeway.  Never noticed a Fuddrucker's anywhere near that area.  

I'll keep an eagle out next time and throw 'em some business.  I really can't picture it, I'm getting old

40 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

I felt like such a boss when I was old enough to negotiate the whole piece of fried fish with the parents.

I've mentioned that until Covid I had lunch with my dad and his buddies at Luby's just about every Friday for the last 10 years.  My thoughts are with the staff that I've grown to know pretty well over that time.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wow.  I gotta get a new eye exam (true story).  I've been to that Mandola's a half dozen times since I worked out in Lakeway.  Never noticed a Fuddrucker's anywhere near that area.  

I'll keep an eagle out next time and throw 'em some business.  I really can't picture it, I'm getting old

Why would you get an exam for new eyes?

Because they're still under warranty, duh!  same reason I take my leased 318i in for oil changes, 'cause they're still covered!  

Seriously though, there's no Fuddrucker's there.   either Ghost of LL or I are insane.  And I am insane, but not when it comes to restaurant locations.  

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

The one in Bee Cave (at the Shops at the Galleria, across 71 from the Galleria) shut down in early 2019.  It was in the end space that was originally a Waterloo Ice House.

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, so I'm not insane?  I mean, I am insane.  But not because I knew for almost a certain fact there was not a Fuddrucker's in the place I drive thru almost every single day.  That makes perfect sense because I started driving out to Lakeway in April of 2019 and stopping off at almost every single place out there for breakfast or lunch.  I think I remember that Waterloo from way on away back when...but yeah... I was damn sure there wasn't a Fuddrucker's out that way since I've been there on the regular.  

11 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

81q+xzTYAEL._SS500_.jpg

Where are the Presbyterians going to go?

The tie-in is more apt than even the easy gag REK had.  Many years ago, I worked on a case involving a large cafeteria chain.  Some of the lawyers working it were from Connecticut.  We took them to a cafeteria one day, so they could see what the fight was all about.  They explained that they didn't really have stand-alone cafeterias in the northeast.  Somewhat jokingly, I gasped and asked "but where do you go after church?"  The two of 'em looked at each other, then at me, and said "yeah....we don't really go to church, either."  The cultural tie between cafeteria dining and churchgoing is more than just a gag.  

Shit, all of us know that the longest line of the week at Luby's is on Sunday starting in the 11:00 hour and going till 12:45 or so.  Followed by the line for dinner during the week starting at 4:30-5:00.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sucks. I remember going to Luby's all the time with my parents after church. Also remember a field trip in elementary school to Luby's on Steck because we were learning about money and it was an opportunity to use our newly acquired skills. Love the fried fish, mac and cheese and fried okra. Gotta see if there's one around me that's still open.

22 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

After eating shitty hospital food for a couple of days when my wife had our child, we were so excited to crush some Luby's when a family member dropped it off for us. 

A childhood staple that provided a lot of fond memories. Chased that jello/dessert cart around many times. Damn. 

Yeah, definitely family memories.  When we had little kids, it was in HEAVY rotation for "tired parents who didn't have it in them to cook, and needed to go someplace where it was cheap and easy to feed the kids."  Problem is, my daughter took that to mean that Luby's was our favorite place.  When she was 3 yrs old, my birthday came around, and she was SO excited -- "daddy, because it's your birthday, we're going to have dinner at your FAVORITE restaurant!"  "We are?  That's great!  So....what is my favorite restaurant?"  She looked at me with a huge smile "LUBY'S, of course!"  So, off we went to have my special birthday dinner....at Luby's.  Wasn't gonna ruin that smile.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

that was always my go to meal.  with a roll and piece of pie though.

Yeah, I skipped the bread and pie, because -- shit, look at what else I was eating.  It was mighty fine, though.  Man, forgot how good their okra is -- they still make it fresh, not frozen.  There was a decent crowd, but plenty of spacing so we could eat in a booth and be fine.

2002 is breaking my fucking heart, man.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Okay, so I'm not insane?  I mean, I am insane.  But not because I knew for almost a certain fact there was not a Fuddrucker's in the place I drive thru almost every single day.  That makes perfect sense because I started driving out to Lakeway in April of 2019 and stopping off at almost every single place out there for breakfast or lunch.  I think I remember that Waterloo from way on away back when...but yeah... I was damn sure there wasn't a Fuddrucker's out that way since I've been there on the regular.  

Fuck--I guess that shows how infrequently I go out to Bee Cave.

6 hours ago, AustinMT said:

The one in Bee Cave (at the Shops at the Galleria, across 71 from the Galleria) shut down in early 2019.  It was in the end space that was originally a Waterloo Ice House.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's now a....

wait for it....

wait for it...

God damned Chili's. 

Yep, only one on the whole site that doesn’t love it.  You got me.  Sorry I don’t have $50/person to piss away on that garbage.

anyway; I think that chili’s right next to the galleria proper was custom pad built to be a chili’s.  but I think the Waterloo across the 71 way where old backyard used to be was there for awhile and then turned into a fuddruckers briefly.  Totally different spots but all gone now.  

Also, I am an unabashed Fuddrucker's fan.  A good thick burger, that they'll cook to medium rare.  Top it with the jalapeno cheese sauce, a bunch of pico, some extra jalapenos, then on the other bun, a bit of spicy mustard and some pickles.....and then cups of the jalapeno cheese with pico mixed in to dip the wedge fries in.....man, that's some L-I-V-I-N.

Plus, it was a great place to go when we had young kids.

Actually, both places -- Luby's and Fudds -- the manager bought dinner for my wife and kids.  Each time, I was traveling for work, she had the kids solo, was frazzled as hell, and looked it.  Manager took pity, and said "why don't you let me get that tonight."  Simple act of kindness, but bought some real loyalty.

Or, maybe my wife was getting it on with both managers.  Either way....free dinner!

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The tie-in is more apt than even the easy gag REK had.  Many years ago, I worked on a case involving a large cafeteria chain.  Some of the lawyers working it were from Connecticut.  We took them to a cafeteria one day, so they could see what the fight was all about.  They explained that they didn't really have stand-alone cafeterias in the northeast.  Somewhat jokingly, I gasped and asked "but where do you go after church?"  The two of 'em looked at each other, then at me, and said "yeah....we don't really go to church, either."  The cultural tie between cafeteria dining and churchgoing is more than just a gag.  

Shit, all of us know that the longest line of the week at Luby's is on Sunday starting in the 11:00 hour and going till 12:45 or so.  Followed by the line for dinner during the week starting at 4:30-5:00.

True...Luby's always has been the after church place to go (except when I was a little kid visiting my Grandma in SA and we'd hit up Tip Top since it was only a few blocks from church and house).

And that REK gag was based on truth.  That house WAS literally across the street from the Presbyterian church.  A couple of my friends lived there back when they were in school.  Too bad that whole area has been bulldozed and rebuilt...