Bye bye Luby's

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I think it closed a couple of weeks ago. The one off 290, east of 35, is the only one left that I know of.

9 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Could be wrong, but I believe the one on Slaughter near S 1st is still around.

East Anderson and Slaughter if this is current.   Pretty sure it is.

AUSTIN: 1410 EAST ANDERSON LN, AUSTIN, TX 78752 – PH: (512) 835-9454AUSTIN:

415 W SLAUGHTER LN, AUSTIN, TX 78748 – PH: (512) 590-7540

https://www.lubys.com/all-locations

• 4 weeks later...

We took our kids to Luby’s for the first time ever earlier this week. They fucking loved being able to go through the line and pick out their own food. They were hating (along with my wife) beforehand but I think I converted them. My oldest didn’t even want to try the chess pie until I made her. Wife said she wished they served wine. Our entire meal was 26 fucking dollars lol. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

How is that possible. Luby’s is great but it ain’t cheap. Did y’all split one plate, one slice of pie and get 4 drinks? That would probably be over $26.

Evidently Wednesdays are kids eat free. We had no idea until we paid the check. One dessert, water for drinks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Good to know. Will have to try that one on slaughter. Been meaning to

Also good to know that I should avoid Luby’s on Wednesdays.  We have a little Italian place that does kids free on Thursdays, and I would rather pay double someplace else than deal with the absolute shitshow that is kids eat free night.  It draws out the worst parents, and the kids behave accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

The boy got braces today and needs to eat soft food for a day or so, he wanted Luby’s max and cheese. Didn’t feel like driving there so I found the recipe online.
Pretty damn spot on.
32a5db11baba9eb02376a5a0927bbe1e.jpg

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/pasta-side/lubys-macaroni-and-cheese.html

I'm impressed that you had shredded American cheese on hand, unless you just didn't want to drive to Luby's and HEB was open.

13 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

The boy got braces today and needs to eat soft food for a day or so, he wanted Luby’s max and cheese. Didn’t feel like driving there so I found the recipe online.
Pretty damn spot on.
32a5db11baba9eb02376a5a0927bbe1e.jpg

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/pasta-side/lubys-macaroni-and-cheese.html

Did you use powdered milk?

That is what the Luby's recipe calls for.

• 2 months later...

The local small town paper had a front page story that our Luby's is finally closing down within the next 30 days.  It didn't make the cut on the list awhile back of the ones that were bought out so I figured this was coming but it still sucks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found myself on Midway Rd in Dallas so I thought I'd give it a shot. Haven't been to this location in years and wow let me tell ya, I think Luby's really is on its final leg. This particular location used to be pretty upscale and bright on the inside. Not anymore. Very dark dining area with almost no lighting minus the afternoon sun. They replaced the golden walls with a dark blue and brown theme. It didn't feel like the Luby's I grew up with.

Food was still good.

20230120_113152 (1).jpg

20230120_111653.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

For a late lunch today, we took my in laws to the last Lubys that is still open in Corpus.    This was about 1:30 and I’m going to guess I was one of youngest in the dining area and I’m 51.  I guess this one has stayed open because it’s next to a hospital and medical complex and several retirement and assisted living facilities are near by and the walkers and wheel chairs were a dime a dozen there today.      The food was meh for sure and it wasn’t even close to the Luby’s during their better days. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m all for people making a living, but I wonder if waiters had a chilling effect on Luby’s regulars? Probably a small thing in the grand scheme, but people probably don’t want/need a waiter at a cafeteria. 

I clearly haven't been to a Luby's in a very long time because this is news to me. What the hell does a waiter at a cafeteria do? I get the utility of the tea lady, but a waiter?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

I clearly haven't been to a Luby's in a very long time because this is news to me. What the hell does a waiter at a cafeteria do? I get the utility of the tea lady, but a waiter?

I guess it varies by location. The Westheimer and Kingwood locations have “waiters”. They’ll bring you more tea, water, butter, pepper sauce, package leftovers, etc… When you tip with credit card at the register, they hand you the tip in cash, and you leave it on the table. It’s an odd system. 

I hope it’s not some hierarchical bullshit and they all share the tips. Working the line is hot, hard work. Filling up tea is not.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess it varies by location. The Westheimer and Kingwood locations have “waiters”. They’ll bring you more tea, water, butter, pepper sauce, package leftovers, etc… When you tip with credit card at the register, they hand you the tip in cash, and you leave it on the table. It’s an odd system. 

I hope it’s not some hierarchical bullshit and they all share the tips. Working the line is hot, hard work. Filling up tea is not.

If you roll through the line with a kid that's just got to have french fries, you're handed a number and a waiter brings out the fries when they're done.  So tea, water, and fries.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...