Bye bye Luby's

4 hours ago, Monty Capuletti said:

At the Luby’s on Steck right now. Always had a soft spot for the fish brick. The chocolate icebox pie has always been one of my favorites.

8E1C4881-C073-4CE8-B15F-81EDE3FFD4EF.thumb.jpeg.9f96da1cf792a0cfaba52e2686ef2195.jpeg

No tartar sauce. Would not bang. 

And the fish needs Mac and cheese as a side.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Underdog said:

What’s the backstory on the 4pcs of corn being separated from the others?  

#TeamLiver&Onions

The taters and corn were on the plate and when I moved them off those four pieces escaped and I didn't get them back with the rest of the herd before I took the picture.

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Hopefully you didn't leave a Messerschmidt on the table for the staff to clean up @Monty Capuletti 

Didn't leave a mess.  Stacked the bowls on the dinner roll plate and put them on the big plate for easy cleaning when I was done.

42 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

image.jpeg.aeab3fc532d308619c4aee1482908d03.jpeg

In high school we'd search through every classroom and dig out the Sonic bookcovers, which had a coupon for $1.99 burger, fries, and coke combo.  We cut out every single one of those coupons and slid the mangled bookcover carcasses back under the stack.  We ate like kings for months at the beginning of each schoolyear.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We never had sonic. Just Butter Krust and Big Red. I don’t think I ever had one stay on more than 2 weeks. 

We had the local electric coop book covers.  Good on them I guess for contributing, but my best friends dad was a lineman for them and died on the job.  I always wondered how he felt about the book covers.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

Bah.....wrong thread

Negged.

Just kidding.

The Sonic bookcovers were white like the Big Red ones.  Big Red were my favorite to actually cover my books.  I am an engineer, so they stayed on quite well.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We had the local electric coop book covers.  Good on them I guess for contributing, but my best friends dad was a lineman for them and died on the job.  I always wondered how he felt about the book covers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If my choice doesn't need to be healthy, and let's face it, I'm at Luby's:

Roll with a pat of butter between two squares of waxed paper

Fried fish rectangle with tartar sauce

Mac n Cheese (with standard amount of crack sprinkled on it)

Some other side (this is a game time decision and is almost never green beans).

I know it's a start of the line item, but call it dessert . . . Red Jello Cubes

Unsweet tea

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hit the Luby's out Westheimer a couple of days ago. Based entirely on the comments above, I eschewed my usual square fish for the chicken fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, pinto beans and roll with butter. 

It was not only by far the worst meal I've ever had at Luby's, it was one of the worst meals I've ever had in my life. Dry, flavorless, over battered, cold, it was inedible. The pintos were pretty good, the rest straight garbage. 

I have fond memories of Luby's, but its just not good anymore. 

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

I hate that we now have to specify "unsweet tea" when listing our orders.  Twenty years ago, that was just called "tea" or perhaps "iced tea."

Thank you.  I grew up in Houston and it never was a question.  You got unsweet tea and if you wanted to sweeten it, there was any color of sweetener packet you could imagine on the table (or leveling the uneven table leg). 

When I moved to Tyler 20 years ago, and first heard the syrupy spoken question/fragment, "Swueet or Unswueet?" I realized how different things were going to be here.  It's a pain in the ass at the drive thru, too.  I never leave without tasting it first.  It would be easier to call it "tea" and "sweet tea" or "tea" and "disgusting nastiness."  Just something that can be distinguished over the early 20th century drive thru communication technology.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

Thank you.  I grew up in Houston and it never was a question.  You got unsweet tea and if you wanted to sweeten it, there was any color of sweetener packet you could imagine on the table (or leveling the uneven table leg). 

When I moved to Tyler 20 years ago, and first heard the syrupy spoken question/fragment, "Swueet or Unswueet?" I realized how different things were going to be here.  It's a pain in the ass at the drive thru, too.  I never leave without tasting it first.  It would be easier to call it "tea" and "sweet tea" or "tea" and "disgusting nastiness."  Just something that can be distinguished over the early 20th century drive thru communication technology.

Years ago I started saying “plain UN-sweet tea”. That’s fixed the intercom problem so far.
  • Hook 'Em 2

You think it’s bad here go to Mississippi. Start with a gallon of simple sugar syrup. Add sugar. Add a cup of tea. Add sugar. Takes five minutes to fill a glass. “Sweet or Un?” Is the state question. If you order Un you might be getting the Mr Tibbs treatment.
  • Haha 3

Stopped off in Miss on our way back home from vacation years ago and forgot to mention to the wife and Jr that they serve sweet tea and they both were putting sweet n low in their teas.  The tea spray from spitting it out soon followed, waitress got a kick out of it as did I. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

“Sweet or Un?” Is the state question.

That shit has spread to Texas.  When I was a kid you could order iced tea without having to answer a dumbass question but these days it's a 50/50 proposition.

• Rage+1 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, DoobieWah said:

Hit the Luby's out Westheimer a couple of days ago. Based entirely on the comments above, I eschewed my usual square fish for the chicken fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, pinto beans and roll with butter. 

It was not only by far the worst meal I've ever had at Luby's, it was one of the worst meals I've ever had in my life. Dry, flavorless, over battered, cold, it was inedible. The pintos were pretty good, the rest straight garbage. 

I have fond memories of Luby's, but its just not good anymore. 

I like that location. Daily specials. Damned good cornbread dressing that I use for meatloaf. Sorry it sucked, but I wouldn’t write it off. 

I never veer from my go to: 

- Baked white meat chicken

- Cornbread dressing 

- Cranberry sauce 

- Green beans 

- Sweet potatoes 

- Jalapeño cornbread with the pepper sauce

- Chocolate pie 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I like that location. Daily specials. Damned good cornbread dressing that I use for meatloaf. Sorry it sucked, but I wouldn’t write it off. 

I never veer from my go to: 
- Baked white meat chicken
- Cornbread dressing 
- Cranberry sauce 
- Green beans 
- Sweet potatoes 
- Jalapeño cornbread with the pepper sauce
- Chocolate pie 
You are not allowed to doc anyone points if that's your order.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, creeper said:

Hate to bring the bad news, but I cruised over to the Steck and Mopac location for lunch yesterday only to find it permanently closed.

Yeah, closed recently. Honestly, needed to be put out of its misery. They had gotten rid of the green cloth napkins, the salad bar was now just crummy salads in plastic containers, and it just had a bad vibe.

Thankful, however, that I got my kid there a couple of times before it closed. Dude LOVES it... primarily because we get a big piece of pie.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, closed recently. Honestly, needed to be put out of its misery. They had gotten rid of the green cloth napkins, the salad bar was now just crummy salads in plastic containers, and it just had a bad vibe.

Thankful, however, that I got my kid there a couple of times before it closed. Dude LOVES it... primarily because we get a big piece of pie.

I went to the one in The Woodlands a couple of weeks ago and the experience was pretty "meh".  The fried fish was still delicious, but the mashed potatoes were just a big ice cream scoop in a bowl and the black eyed peas tasted like they had been there for days.  As much as I've always loved Luby's and the fond memories from there, I'm not sure I'll go back.