Bye bye Luby's

10 minutes ago, torre said:

No knowledge,  but the Pappas brothers had conflicts with the Board of Directors.   May have been some effect on the operation/success of the company.   Thus,  they may not agree with the decision to liquidate.     Story from Aug '19.

Luby's on Tuesday announced a new chairman and two new directors to its board, eight months after winning a contentious proxy fight brought on by one of its investors who pushed for leadership changes amid lagging sales.

Gerald Bodzy was named chairman of the Houston-based restaurant chain, succeeding Gasper Mir, who will remain on the board as an independent director. John Morlock and Randolph Read were tapped as independent directors, replacing Judith Craven, who is retiring, and longtime leader Harris Pappas, who resigned from the board earlier this year. Harris Pappas' brother, Chris Pappas, remains chief executive.

The changes come eight months after Luby's prevailed in a proxy fight brought on by activist investor Bandera Partners. The New York-based hedge fund, which had been a Luby's shareholder for more than a decade, lobbied unsuccessfully to replace the Pappas brothers, Mir and board member Frank Markantonis with its own slate of candidates, including former Sen. Phil Gramm, the father of Jeff Gramm, a Bandera co-founder.

https://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/Months-after-proxy-fight-Luby-s-names-new-14366583.php

H-Town Greeks 1, Hedgies 0

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

When the Pappas first took over Lubys they pappasized a lot of the food - going fresh rather than frozen, upgrades to recipes, that sort of thing.

Most changes were welcome. Green beans, on the other hand, might as well have subbed tofu for beef liver. Olds love green beans. But fresh beans are more toothsome, and olds have shitty teeth. Green bean sales plummeted, complaints skyrocketed. They had to bring the canned beans back, at least on certain days, for the soft food crowd.

One might think the Pappas know how to run restaurants.  And we should pretty roundly distrust private equity and hedge funds at running anything other than into the ground.

I had thought the Pappas controlled Luby's but apparently I was wrongish.

They have a large stake but there's an outside investor with a large stake that has basically disagreed with them on everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe they can just provide consistent quality and management. I’ve always been amazed as just how good and consistent everything is across the Pappa’s brand. I’ve never been to a bad Pappadeaux or Pappasito’s. They are always great. Maybe they can provide some of that to Luby’s.

*except at some airports(mainly DFW)but I’ll give that a pass.

Had a luby dream...went for a last meal..wanted a ribeye steak and fried shrimp.  Lubys wouldn’t put a crust on steak, so I went in kitchen and cooked 70 seconds on each side....perfect crust...thanks Guga ....and saw a piece of fried fish sitting there had just finished cooking.  Took it as well.  Three sauces, cocktail, tarter, and steak.  Grabbed a stuffed baked potato to go with it, and some no name salad.  Strawberry shortcake for dessert.  Sweet tea. Plenty of lemon juice for tea, fish and shrimp.  

am reminded of the wolf commercial.  How long has it been since you had a hot steaming bowl of Wolf brand chili?  Well neighbor, that’s too long.

Edited by orangecat92

On 9/26/2020 at 12:38 PM, elfenix said:

When the Pappas first took over Lubys they pappasized a lot of the food - going fresh rather than frozen, upgrades to recipes, that sort of thing.

Most changes were welcome. Green beans, on the other hand, might as well have subbed tofu for beef liver. Olds love green beans. But fresh beans are more toothsome, and olds have shitty teeth. Green bean sales plummeted, complaints skyrocketed. They had to bring the canned beans back, at least on certain days, for the soft food crowd.

They have a large stake but there's an outside investor with a large stake that has basically disagreed with them on everything.

Interesting about the green beans, but slightly off.  

Traditional southern cooking of vegetables involves a lot of fat and salt and slow cooking until soft. See, for example, collard and mustard greens and blackeyed peas.  And traditional southern or "home" cooking is what most olds or other Luby's customers were after, regardless of their dental health.

With canned beans, you just need to add the fat and salt and other seasoning, the long slow cooking isn't necessary.

People used to southern cooking don't necessarily dislike healthy, steamed al dente haricots verts  or broccoli or what-have-you, they just consider it a different dish and not what they expect to get at Luby's.

I'm kinda old I guess, but got all my teeth and I like steamed veggies.  I don't want em with my chicken fried steak, though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Forgot to add, southern vegetables usually start with fresh though.  I helped my mother and grandmother snap enough beans, shuck enough peas, and wash sand out of fresh greens to know.  Usually from a garden, sometimes a roadside stand or the farmers market.

My grandmother always simmered for hours.  My mom cheated with a pressure cooker and more rarely by starting with canned.  You don't get the full flavor and fat infusion starting with canned, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, Stunns38 said:

*except at some airports(mainly DFW)but I’ll give that a pass.

Pappadeaux at IAH E Terminal is awesome.  Many a time I've watched a game in there on a Sunday afternoon, had some brew, gumbo, garlic bread and oysters, before flying off to some far corner of the world.  A last taste of Houston before some foreign culture.

Forgot to add, southern vegetables usually start with fresh though.  I helped my mother and grandmother snap enough beans, shuck enough peas, and wash sand out of fresh greens to know.  Usually from a garden, sometimes a roadside stand or the farmers market.
My grandmother always simmered for hours.  My mom cheated with a pressure cooker and more rarely by starting with canned.  You don't get the full flavor and fat infusion starting with canned, though.

Yeah you’re not wrong about all that, but unless corrected by our in house Luby’s insider, those green beans sure seemed canned and not braised for 4 hours. NTTAWWT.

4 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Yeah you’re not wrong about all that, but unless corrected by our in house Luby’s insider, those green beans sure seemed canned and not braised for 4 hours. NTTAWWT.

When I worked there during the 90s, it was canned always, except for a special occasion. Mother’s Day some stores made giant pot of fresh.  

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My mom cheated with a pressure cooker and more rarely by starting with canned

My grandma was the cook and she always did Italian green beans with potatoes, onions, and bacon in the stove top bomb version of a pressure cooker.  One of my favorites side dishes growing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My grandma was the cook and she always did Italian green beans with potatoes, onions, and bacon in the stove top bomb version of a pressure cooker.  One of my favorites side dishes growing up.

If you want to kick up some canned green beans chop up some bacon and onions and cook them a bit before adding the drained green beans.

This is the way my grandmother made them and they are delicious.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

If you want to kick up some canned green beans chop up some bacon and onions and cook them a bit before adding the drained green beans.

This is the way my grandmother made them and they are delicious.

Yep. That's what I do. I toss in a diced tomato and some Cajun seasoning and replace the liquid with chicken stock.

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. That's what I do. I toss in a diced tomato and some Cajun seasoning and replace the liquid with chicken stock.

Yeah, you can fake "home" cooked southern style green beans using canned pretty easily.

Still not gonna be as good as simmered-for-hours with salt pork beans, but a reasonable facsimile.

And an entirely different deal from some steamed, crunchy green beans.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 11:47 AM, TwiceHorn said:

That is truly the southern way to prepare green beans.  Kudos for your grandmother passing along the same knowledge mine did to my mom.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/23/2020 at 5:28 PM, Borachio said:

Check out this fucking Lu Ann platter!

20201023_165710.jpg

Am I crazy Borachio.......................................................................................................................or is that a lot of cum on that right plate?  (NTTAWWT)

Edited by Lobo

Back when going to a downtown office was a thing, I used to hit the downtown Houston Luby’s about once a week. It wasn’t full fledged Luby’s, but the fried fish was nice to have while staring out a 13th floor window. Sucks losing yet another familiarity. 

Wait. I’ve worked in downtown Houston since 1984 and I never knew there is/was a Luby’s downtown. Where was it?

I work in an office in the GreenStreet complex, where the House of Blues is across the street from the Toyota Center, and the Luby’s is (was) across the street in. Polk in between San Jacinto and Caroline. Here’s a pic I found online taken from the dining room looking over the city. spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

You can buy it in the frozen section at HEB and it is glorious.

Or make it from scratch:

8 oz (2 cups) dry elbow macaroni
2 tbsp nonfat dry milk
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 ¼ cups boiling water
3 cups (12 oz) shredded American cheese
¼ tsp salt

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
2. Heat oven to 350.
3. In large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter. Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly. Add 1 ½ cups of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy. Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt. Transfer to lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. Cover with foil.
4. Bake 25 minutes.
5. Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.

11 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Or make it from scratch:

8 oz (2 cups) dry elbow macaroni
2 tbsp nonfat dry milk
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 ¼ cups boiling water
3 cups (12 oz) shredded American cheese
¼ tsp salt

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
2. Heat oven to 350.
3. In large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter. Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly. Add 1 ½ cups of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy. Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt. Transfer to lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. Cover with foil.
4. Bake 25 minutes.
5. Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.

It sounds weird with powdered milk but I have made that recipe and it is awesome.

However as long as it is available in the frozen section I will buy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's news, shareholder vote to dissolve.   Excerpts:

Luby’s Inc. shareholders have voted in favor of a plan to liquidate and dissolve the business, the latest step in the demise of the beloved Texas-based cafeteria chain.

The liquidation plan was approved by 99 percent of stockholders during a Tuesday meeting, according to the company. The vote allows the company to move ahead with liquidation, selling off company assets and distributing proceeds among investors. After that, the company said, the plan is to dissolve Luby’s Inc.

The action culminates years of struggle for the cafeteria brand and follows a Sept. 4 vote by the company’s board of directors to liquidate and dissolve the company

Houston restaurateurs Christopher Pappas and Harris Pappas executed an agreement in September that allowed them access to confidential Luby’s information while they evaluated whether or not to make an offer, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, though it remains unclear if that outcome is still in play.

https://www.statesman.com/business/20201118/lubyrsquos-liquidation-shareholders-ok-plan-to-dissolve-business

16 hours ago, torre said:

Today's news, shareholder vote to dissolve.   Excerpts:

Luby’s Inc. shareholders have voted in favor of a plan to liquidate and dissolve the business, the latest step in the demise of the beloved Texas-based cafeteria chain.

The liquidation plan was approved by 99 percent of stockholders during a Tuesday meeting, according to the company. The vote allows the company to move ahead with liquidation, selling off company assets and distributing proceeds among investors. After that, the company said, the plan is to dissolve Luby’s Inc.

The action culminates years of struggle for the cafeteria brand and follows a Sept. 4 vote by the company’s board of directors to liquidate and dissolve the company

Houston restaurateurs Christopher Pappas and Harris Pappas executed an agreement in September that allowed them access to confidential Luby’s information while they evaluated whether or not to make an offer, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, though it remains unclear if that outcome is still in play.

https://www.statesman.com/business/20201118/lubyrsquos-liquidation-shareholders-ok-plan-to-dissolve-business

Frustrated The Office GIF by myHQ