Bye bye Luby's

• 3 weeks later...

"Hope springs eternal"

Perhaps they will be able to franchise some of the Luby's to save me and @Brisketexan  🙂

Houston-based Luby's, Inc. on Wednesday announced that it will franchise 13 of its Fuddruckers stores, including several locations in Houston.

Luby's, Inc. has entered into an agreement with Black Titan Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of food service entrepreneur and president of Black Titan Investment Corporation, Nicholas M. Perkins

https://www.chron.com/food/article/Luby-s-franchise-Fuddruckers-Black-Titan-Holdings-15807777.php

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, torre said:

"Hope springs eternal"

Perhaps they will be able to franchise some of the Luby's to save me and @Brisketexan  🙂

Houston-based Luby's, Inc. on Wednesday announced that it will franchise 13 of its Fuddruckers stores, including several locations in Houston.

Luby's, Inc. has entered into an agreement with Black Titan Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of food service entrepreneur and president of Black Titan Investment Corporation, Nicholas M. Perkins

https://www.chron.com/food/article/Luby-s-franchise-Fuddruckers-Black-Titan-Holdings-15807777.php

So 6 Greater Houston Fuddruckers locations will remain open?

"Hope springs eternal"
Perhaps they will be able to franchise some of the Luby's to save me and [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention]  

The Fuddruckers near my house is on the list!

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So 6 Greater Houston Fuddruckers locations will remain open?

The deal includes franchise locations in Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, and Virginia, along with six Houston-area locales: Copperfield at 7250 Highway 6 North; MacGregor at 2400 B S. MacGregor Way; Tidwell at 13010 North West Freeway; Kingwood at 4360 Kingwood Dr.; Stafford at 11445 Fountain Lake Dr.; and Creekside at 8510 Creekside Forest Dr.

9 minutes ago, torre said:

The deal includes franchise locations in Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, and Virginia, along with six Houston-area locales: Copperfield at 7250 Highway 6 North; MacGregor at 2400 B S. MacGregor Way; Tidwell at 13010 North West Freeway; Kingwood at 4360 Kingwood Dr.; Stafford at 11445 Fountain Lake Dr.; and Creekside at 8510 Creekside Forest Dr.

Those are really the far flung corners of Greater Houston. Oh well, something is better than nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

How tf is the one on I-10 and BW8 not on the list?

My guess is that suburban locations did more business. Memorial people don’t really eat at Fuddruckers. I say that as a Fuddruckers fan living in Memorial. The MacGregor location is a head scratcher. It’s not exactly a short drive or walk from the Medical Center/NRG and it was never busy when I’ve eaten there. Herman Park Clubhouse has a kitchen. Yeah I can’t figure it out. 

Coincidentally, one of the survivors, the Copperfield location is within walking distance of my childhood home. I ate there all the time growing up.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis

8 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I live in Memorial and don't go there all that often. When I do, I always seem to time it where there is a little league baseball, soccer, or football team and all their parents in front of me in line. 

Yeah. If I’m dying for an elk burger I’ll pop up there and grab one. During normal times, it’s a good office lunch option because you could move tables around and seat 20 people. There was always plenty of empty tables, and I guess that was part of the problem. 

I wonder if Mia’s opening up down the road was one of the nails in the coffin? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

Maybe the last time.
2321ed9e9d789d086968fb7dd2e46487.jpg

I'll venmo you the price of a Lu'ann platter plus specified extras if you'll go back, order Fried Cod, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, a roll (with a pat of butter between that wax paper on the side), red jello cubes in a glass dish, and water (no iced tea).  Then, photograph it.  I have a Luby's substitute about 5 minutes away, but I need an ideal lunch picture as a reference.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll venmo you the price of a Lu'ann platter plus specified extras if you'll go back, order Fried Cod, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, a roll (with a pat of butter between that wax paper on the side), red jello cubes in a glass dish, and water (no iced tea).  Then, photograph it.  I have a Luby's substitute about 5 minutes away, but I need an ideal lunch picture as a reference.

I’ll see what I can do … on the house. I’ll hide the green beans out of the frame.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Amos Moses said:

I’ll see what I can do … on the house. I’ll hide the green beans out of the frame.

You can sub green beans for mash potatoes.  I was just trying to be Lu'Ann Cool.  Just care about the mac, the roll/butter, and jello.

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I’ll take both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can sub green beans for mash potatoes.  I was just trying to be Lu'Ann Cool.  Just care about the mac, the roll/butter, and jello.

Get the mashed potatoes and ask for the brown gravy instead. Trust me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Below press release is from Feb.     Hope for last minute reprieve.

HOUSTON — Luby's and its Fuddruckers restaurants are closing their remaining restaurants by August.

The Dallas Morning News reports Chris Pappas, who operates Houston-based Pappas restaurants, has resigned as CEA and president of Luby's Inc.

Luby's has about a dozen Houston restaurants operating currently.

Back in September, the Luby's Inc. board members voted to liquidate and dissolve the company's "businesses, operations, and real estate" and institute an "orderly wind down of any remaining operations," the company announced in a press release.

In June, the Houston-based company announced it would immediately pursue the sale of its operating divisions and assets, including its real estate assets, and distribute the net proceeds to stockholders after payment of debt and other obligations.

At that time, the plan was to convert all of its remaining assets into cash and distribute the net proceeds to the stockholders.

However, Pappas also said at that time the company was "preserving the flexibility to pursue a sale of the Company should a compelling offer that delivers superior value be made."

Essentially, if a better offer comes along, the liquidation plan could be abandoned. That unfortunately never happened.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/lubys-closing-down-for-good/285-b672876a-8c99-47f8-8be1-af013bffeba7

• Rage+1 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, dcbc said:

Traditions? Haven’t eaten there in 10 years. My aunt eats there twice a week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ate at the one at W. Airport and Murphy rd in Stafford today for lunch.     Fried fish, okra and Mac and cheese.  Roll and strawberry shortcake.    It was a throwback for sure.

I worked at the Wyatts at Westwood mall (SW Houston) in the summer of 1988, my friend's dad was district manager so I served vegetables on the line all summer and flirted with the iced tea girls (also college aged).    Come to think about it, I also flirted with the older Hispanic ladies in the kitchen too, they loved me.    

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/5/2021 at 3:13 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Traditions? Haven’t eaten there in 10 years. My aunt eats there twice a week.

It doesn't suck.  But it's been a few years since I've hit it up either.  I need to remember that it has a drive-thru.  They'll sell you casseroles out the window.  Place rules as far as cafeterias go.

Edited by dcbc

the one in Dallas on E. Mockingbird looked closed driving by it yesterday.  I remarked to wife that Lubys looked shuttered and 10yo daughter asked what a Luby's was.  I think all the olds in Lakewood/Mstreets area have passed on to the next plane and no longer eat there.  I was more team Furr's anyway.