Defund the Police

406W30th

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The police served a no knock warrant for a fucking PC at 4:30AM? What's the justification for that?

Shut up and comply, citizen!  Oh, and thank our Brave Boys in Blue for their service!  Your questioning means that you are anti-cop, anti-law and order, and ANTI-AMERICAN.  Why do you hate America, commie?

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Counterpoint: 

1 -- chatted with an old friend who was with the Travis County DA's office for many years.  Friend thinks that some charges are probably warranted, but also that charging 19 is probably overkill and isn't a good look for the DA.

2 -- of course Abbott will pardon cops who abuse citizens.  Could things get any more "on-brand?"

• 4 weeks later...

Here in LA, where we defunded the police and we devolved into a post-apocalyptic hell-scape, where things are the same as ever: Half of the Covid-19 relief funds sent to the City of LA ended up in the pockets of the police.

Also, the LAPD budget for 2022 represents a 12% increase over the 2021 budget. 

I guess we'll see a drop in crime this year as we all know, More Police = Less Crime.

https://www.lataco.com/covid-relief-fund-paid-lapd/

Roughly half of all COVID-19 relief funds sent to the City of Los Angeles last year under the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) quietly went into the pockets of police officers while members of the public called for resources to be diverted away from law enforcement. City officials say the spending was necessary and fits within the guidelines outlined in the legislation.

The city was awarded roughly $1.3 billion under the ARPA, the trillion-dollar economic stimulus package championed by the Biden administration, providing checks and unemployment benefits to millions of Americans. According to city officials, $680 million was transferred to the city last year, with about $317 million going to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) for “payroll expenditures,” according to city officials.

Outside of public safety, the city has reported spending less than $13 million on grants to support local businesses and boost hiring in underserved areas.

• Rage+1 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So the breakdown is small dick cop:

• parked his cruiser in the wrong place (ambulance bay)
  • got a door ding on it when EMTs were doing their fucking jobs providing aid to a patient
  • small dick cop decides the EMT needs to respect his authori-tah so shoves the female EMT around before cuffing her

Sgt. Sam Cox is somewhere out in the Hill Country thinking that the cop should have pistol whipped her out of view of the camera.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is kind of fucked up. OK, really fucked up. Man in California kills his wife and abducts his 15-year-old daughter. Authorities issue an Amber Alert. Man is seen in his vehicle and shootout with cops ensues. Girl escapes from the car and runs toward cops. Cops shoot and kill the girl, who they're saying was wearing "tactical gear."

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/28/california-cops-shoot-and-kidnapped-teen-girl-as-she-runs-to-them-for-help/

A15-year-old California girl who was at the center of an Amber Alert was shot and killed on Tuesday by police officers when she ran toward them. 

After Anthony Graziano, 45, shot his wife in what police are calling an act of domestic violence, authorities sent an Amber Alert out on Monday warning that he had kidnapped his teenage daughter, Savannah, and was on the run.

Graziano killed his estranged wife, 45-year-old Tracy Martinez, near a Fontana elementary school, police said. The area was locked down and he fled the scene with Savannah.

The next morning, a witness spotted Graziano's Nissan pickup truck and notified the police, which led to a chase and shootout on the 15 Freeway in Victorville around 11:15 a.m.

The deputies who responded to the call said that Graziano was shooting at them "constantly" through his rearview window and police responded with gunfire of their own.

Graziano was killed in the shootout as was his daughter, whom the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department claimed was in "tactical gear."

Savannah had attempted to flee the car during the chaos and ran toward deputies. However, she was shot in the firefight and was later transported to a hospital where she was pronounced dead around noon.

During a Tuesday afternoon news conference, San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus said the investigation is in its beginning stages and emphasized that all information is preliminary. 

Want a daily wrap-up of all the news and commentary Salon has to offer? Subscribe to our morning newsletter, Crash Course.

Dicus did not confirm which individual fired the shot that ultimately killed Savannah and added that there were "indications" that she had been involved in parts of the shooting and may have "[fired] back at the deputies." 

Dicus shared that they are still trying to comb through details, and it will take at least a day before more information is provided, but confirmed that "both Anthony Graziano and Savannah are deceased."

• Rage+1 6

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to make a new post for this but I think my comment is most appropriate in this one. Do yall remember the Daniel Shaver case? He was the guy shot by the police after making him bear crawl on the ground. I'll post the body cam footage at the end. His family just announced that they reached a settlement with Mesa PD for $8 million dollars. 

Hi friends. I want to thank everyone who has supported our family to get us through these last six years. We wouldn’t have been able to do it without your support.

In July I was able to reach a settlement that was in the best interest of my children and for my health. Yesterday we filed it with federal court and it will now be public as this chapter comes to a close for us.

The children and I settled our claims for $8M against the city of Mesa.

We more than doubled Mesa’s highest verdict.

This is the highest verdict for a deceased victim in AZ. This new figure will raise the bar higher for all future victims in their fight for justice.

We also had Mesa agree to plant a tree in honor of Daniel, with a permanent memorial bench in his name. I will make a separate post for that soon.

We eagerly await and look forward to a swift announcement by the DOJ that they will be prosecuting federally.

Relentlessly,
Laney, N&E

I didn't want to make a new post for this but I think my comment is most appropriate in this one. Do yall remember the Daniel Shaver case? He was the guy shot by the police after making him bear crawl on the ground. I'll post the body cam footage at the end. His family just announced that they reached a settlement with Mesa PD for $8 million dollars. 
Hi friends. I want to thank everyone who has supported our family to get us through these last six years. We wouldn’t have been able to do it without your support.   In July I was able to reach a settlement that was in the best interest of my children and for my health. Yesterday we filed it with federal court and it will now be public as this chapter comes to a close for us.   The children and I settled our claims for $8M against the city of Mesa.   We more than doubled Mesa’s highest verdict.   This is the highest verdict for a deceased victim in AZ. This new figure will raise the bar higher for all future victims in their fight for justice.   We also had Mesa agree to plant a tree in honor of Daniel, with a permanent memorial bench in his name. I will make a separate post for that soon.   We eagerly await and look forward to a swift announcement by the DOJ that they will be prosecuting federally.   Relentlessly, Laney, N&E

But the murderer cop, who was itching to kill someone for sport and managed to do so with a free pass because he was carrying a badge at the time, walks free, with no personal consequences.
Cops are murderers, don’t forget that.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Hey look, another piece of shit cop. Catfishes a teen girl in California, gets her personal information and drives to CA to kill her grandparents and mother and run off (or abduct, that's not clear yet) with her. Oh, and his middle name is "Lee."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/28/us/austin-edwards-riverside-catfishing-murders/index.html

A former Virginia police officer, believed to have murdered a teenager’s family in Riverside, California, after “catfishing” her online, was killed in a shootout while trying to flee authorities, the city’s police department said in a news release.

The ex-cop was identified as Austin Lee Edwards, 28, of North Chesterfield Virginia. Detectives said they believe Edwards had met the teen through “catfishing,” a form of online deception in which someone pretends to be a different person.

Officers with the Riverside Police were dispatched Friday to check the welfare of a young female who appeared distressed while getting into a red car with a man, police said. While officers were responding, 911 dispatchers began getting calls about a fire in the same neighborhood, just a few houses away from where the welfare check originated.

Ad Feedback

Victims Mark Winek, 69, and his wife Sharie Winek, 65.

Firefighters discovered three adult victims lying in the front entryway of the burning home. When they pulled them outside, it was determined they were victims of an apparent homicide, the release stated.

A preliminary investigation determined the young female described in the initial call was a teenager who lived where the house fire and homicides occurred, police said.

According to police, Edwards had developed an online relationship with the teen and obtained her personal information. He then traveled from Virginia to Riverside, where he parked his vehicle in a neighbor’s driveway and walked to the teen’s home, the release stated. At some point, authorities believe Edwards murdered the teen’s grandfather, grandmother and mother before walking back to his vehicle with the teen and leaving.

Several hours after the bodies were found, Edwards was spotted driving with the teen through San Bernardino County, police said.

According to the release, Edwards exchanged gunfire with the San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies attempting to stop him, was shot by deputies, and was later pronounced dead at the scene.

The teen was unharmed and later placed into protective custody of the Riverside County Department of Public Social Services, police said.

Austin Lee Edwards, 28, of North Chesterfield, Virginia.

Edwards resigned from the Virginia State Police in October, according to the agency. Detectives in California learned he was “recently employed at the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in the state of Virginia.”

“It is shocking and sad to the entire law enforcement community that such an evil and wicked person could infiltrate law enforcement while concealing his true identity as a computer predator and murderer. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Winek family, their friends, officers, and all of those affected by this heinous crime,” said Washington County Sheriff Blake Andis.

Victim Brooke Winek, 38.

The victims have been identified as Mark Winek, 69, his wife Sharie Winek, 65, and their daughter Brooke Winek, 38. The exact cause and manner of their deaths are still pending.

The cause of the house fire continues to be under investigation, although it appears to have been intentionally ignited, the release stated. 

“Our hearts go out to the Winek family and their loved ones during this time of tremendous grief, as this is a tragedy for all Riversiders,” city Police Chief Larry Gonzalez said in the release.

“This is yet another horrific reminder of the predators existing online who prey on our children. If you’ve already had a conversation with your kids on how to be safe online and on social media, have it again. If not, start it now to better protect them.”

Oh, and the dude looks exactly how you'd think he looked:

221128101558-03-california-catfishing-mu

On 9/29/2022 at 5:29 PM, C-Man said:

This is kind of fucked up. OK, really fucked up. Man in California kills his wife and abducts his 15-year-old daughter. Authorities issue an Amber Alert. Man is seen in his vehicle and shootout with cops ensues. Girl escapes from the car and runs toward cops. Cops shoot and kill the girl, who they're saying was wearing "tactical gear."

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/28/california-cops-shoot-and-kidnapped-teen-girl-as-she-runs-to-them-for-help/

This is fucking infuriating. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/05/us/tampa-police-chief-mary-oconnor-resigns/index.html

Tampa police chief resigns after essentially playing the do-you-know-who-I-am card.

She probably would've been better off if she'd shot and killed an innocent person. Those cops seem harder to get rid of than this.

A Florida police chief who flashed her badge and asked to be let go from a traffic stop has resigned, Tampa officials said Monday.

“Tampa Mayor Jane Castor has requested and received the resignation of Police Chief Mary O’Connor, following the completion of an Internal Affairs investigation into a recent traffic stop involving O’Connor,” according to a statement from the mayor’s office.

O’Connor was put on administrative leave after body camera footage taken from a traffic stop last month revealed she told a sheriff’s deputy she was “hoping that you’ll just let us go tonight” and showed her badge, CNN has reported.

ADVERTISING

O’Connor was a passenger in a golf cart that was pulled over for driving on a road without a license plate tag, according to footage of the November 12 incident from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.

Tampa police chief placed on leave after flashing badge during traffic stop 

As the deputy explained why the couple was stopped, O’Connor asked if the deputy’s body camera was operating and then identified herself as the Tampa police chief.

“I’m hoping that you’ll just let us go tonight,” O’Connor said before showing her badge to the deputy.

O’Connor apologized to the deputy and then gave him her business card. “If you ever need anything, call me. Seriously,” O’Connor said.

She and the deputy thanked each other for their service, and the couple was allowed to leave.

The mayor admonished O’Connor’s actions in a statement released Monday.

“The Tampa Police Department has a code of conduct that includes high standards for ethical and professional behavior that apply to every member of our police force. As the Chief of Police, you are not only to abide by and enforce those standards but to also lead by example. That clearly did not happen in this case,” Castor said.

“It is unacceptable for any public employee, and especially the city’s top law enforcement leader, to ask for special treatment because of their position.”

The mayor recognized O’Connor’s contributions as police chief, including “reducing violent gun crime, proactively engaging with our community and focusing on officer wellness,” Castor said.

“But these accomplishments pale in comparison to the priority I place on integrity.”

In a Monday resignation letter, O’Connor wrote she “would never want my personal mistake to stand in the way of the progress I have made in mending relationships between the police department and the community, so for that reason, I am resigning.”

The mayor expects the national search and hiring process for a new Tampa police chief to take several months, she said.

Assistant Police Chief Lee Bercaw will serve as interim police chief.

“In Lee Bercaw, we have a thoughtful and highly regarded leader in progressive policing,” Castor said. “I am grateful he can hit the ground running and continue working with our community to keep our city safe.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, C-Man said:

The Texas Tribune dropped a good story on it too.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/01/13/constitutional-sheriffs-texas/

Some 50 Texas sheriffs and numerous elected officials have attended trainings on the unsupported notion that sheriffs can single-handedly overrule state and federal law.

Mack asserts that elected sheriffs are accountable only to their voters, not judges or legislators, even when other branches of government make or interpet the law. In effect, sheriffs can nullify a law by refusing to enforce it. “The federal government, the White House, or Congress do not hire us, they cannot fire us, and they cannot tell us what to do,” he wrote in his 2009 book “The County Sheriff: America’s Last Hope.”

This topic could fit in bunch of different threads but honestly probably deserves it's own.  I can't even believe it- maybe i've just been away too long.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1