76ers vs Heat

Machinator

MIAMI -- There is some bad blood brewing between the Philadelphia 76ers and Miami Heat over late-game layups in their first-round playoff series.

It started with Goran Dragic converting a layup in the final seconds of the Heat's 10-point Game 2 win on Monday. On Thursday, Dario Saric attempted a layup with four seconds remaining and Philadelphia leading by 19. He was blocked by Miami's Kelly Olynyk.

"I think they felt disrespected by Goran's [layup], and we weren't just going to let them do that," Miami's Justise Winslow said.

Philadelphia center Joel Embiid said Dragic's layup at the end of Game 2 bothered him.

"I wish I was there in that Game 2, because I was kind of pissed about it. ... I was on the sideline, really mad," Embiid, who missed the first two games of the series due to an orbital fracture and concussion.

Embiid said he felt that Dragic didn't receive the same negative reaction that Saric encountered March 1 when he converted a dunk at the end of a blowout win over the Cleveland Cavaliers. In that game, Cavs guard Jordan Clarkson threw a ball at Saric's back after the dunk and was summarily ejected.

Embiid said he told his teammates to look to score if they encountered the same scenario late in Game 3.

"It's always good to blow a team out," he said. "I think we were up 18 or 20 and if you could get that lead up to 22, I think it's good. I love blowing teams out. I like the fact that we did that. We're not here to make friends. We're here to win a series."

On Wednesday, Dragic brushed off the idea that any of the Sixers were offended by his layup near the end of Game 2.

"I don't care. The first game we were down 30, and they were still running inbounds plays after timeouts with seven seconds left in the game," he said. "It's the playoffs. I'm doing everything it takes."

When asked if Dragic's layup mattered to the Sixers, Robert Covington said on Wednesday: "It definitely matters, because he could have just dribbled it out and everything. ... We don't understand why he did it, but overall, we said that gives us anticipation, because obviously they care about the simple fact of a score of the game [that] they were already winning."

Sixers guard Ben Simmons said he wasn't bothered by Dragic's shot because the game wasn't over.

But he added, "I would've dunked it."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23254073/philadelphia-76ers-miami-heat-feud-garbage-layups-first-round-playoff-series

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
10 hours ago, Machinator said:
And a 3!

Embiid started playing the game less than 10 years ago yet his skill level (especially for a bigman) is utter worldly. It's like watching Hakeem blossom all over again.

His agility at that size is something we have only seen a few times in the 70+ yrs of the league.

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Boston should still win the conference, but as of now I’m looking forward to watching Philly vs Boston for the next 5+ years.

I like BOS too overall but I dont think they can win the conference as undermanned as they are.       I do think the next few yrs with them and PHI should be extremely entertaining.

27 minutes ago, d2o said:

I like BOS too overall but I dont think they can win the conference as undermanned as they are.       I do think the next few yrs with them and PHI should be extremely entertaining.

I meant next year. I still have Boston winning the #1 seed in the East next year.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I meant next year. I still have Boston winning the #1 seed in the East next year.

gotcha.   It will be interesting to see what additions/subtractions PHI has this summer but right now I would give a fully healthy BOS the nod.   PHI has a lot of options this summer though so that could change. 

5 hours ago, d2o said:

His agility at that size is something we have only seen a few times in the 70+ yrs of the league.

When the light went on at KU it was insane to see him play.  The first 5-7 games of the year he was getting some decent minutes but was behind 3 bigs in the rotation.  Then he got 20+ minutes and started doing things like the dream shake and dikembe finger wag and he started to show how special he is.  A few more weeks go by an you can basically see on a game by game basis that he is getting far better than the rest of the team and literally each day he is 1.5x the player he was the day before.  To me, it was clear that he was the best player on the team even though we had a future AA and NPOY in Frank Mason, A NBA all Star in Wiggins, and a 2nd team AA in Perry Ellis.  Embiid was the prize of that team and KU fans would flame me for not hyping wiggins but it couldn't be any clearer that Joel had the temperament, the physique, and the flourishing skill set to be one of the best in the NBA.  Conference play came and he starts a little slow but he just produced so many mismatches for himself and that created open looks when he would kick it out.  No one wanted any part of the lane since he was blocking 3 shots a game, and he was a rebounding machine.  When we got him he had been playing for like 2-3 years and it was clear he would be the next Hakeem if there was ever going to be one.

It is so awesome to see him play and he is probably the most charismatic player in the league so it is fun to watch him grow as well.

When the light went on at KU it was insane to see him play.  The first 5-7 games of the year he was getting some decent minutes but was behind 3 bigs in the rotation.  Then he got 20+ minutes and started doing things like the dream shake and dikembe finger wag and he started to show how special he is.  A few more weeks go by an you can basically see on a game by game basis that he is getting far better than the rest of the team and literally each day he is 1.5x the player he was the day before.  To me, it was clear that he was the best player on the team even though we had a future AA and NPOY in Frank Mason, A NBA all Star in Wiggins, and a 2nd team AA in Perry Ellis.  Embiid was the prize of that team and KU fans would flame me for not hyping wiggins but it couldn't be any clearer that Joel had the temperament, the physique, and the flourishing skill set to be one of the best in the NBA.  Conference play came and he starts a little slow but he just produced so many mismatches for himself and that created open looks when he would kick it out.  No one wanted any part of the lane since he was blocking 3 shots a game, and he was a rebounding machine.  When we got him he had been playing for like 2-3 years and it was clear he would be the next Hakeem if there was ever going to be one.
It is so awesome to see him play and he is probably the most charismatic player in the league so it is fun to watch him grow as well.
How many games did he miss that year?

None until the end of the year.  He played his last game against OSU on 3/1 and lost to stanford in the second round.  He missed the last 6 games but we could have played in 4-6 more games if he would have been healthy.  At that point though he had shown everything he needed to (like kyrie).  He wasn't going to play again even with a foot that couldn't be injured any more than what it was (minor stress fracture I believe).  He was a top 5 pick and everyone knew it at KU.

If you had to repick that draft, the top 5 was:

CLE - Wiggins

Bucks - Jabari Parker

76ers - Embiid

Magic - Gordon

Jass - Exum

If cleveland would have sat front row at KU games all year they probably would have taken Embiid.  Wiggins was noticeably timid most of the year, a problem he still has.  Could you imagine Lebron coming back to CLE with Embiid and Kyrie waiting for him? If they all stay healthy that would have been a dominant East team that could have possibly beaten the warriors more than just once.

Dude. LeBron doesn't play with rookies. He's made that clear. Him "coming home" was contingent on Cleveland trading Wiggins for Love. That wouldn't have changed had it been Embiid. Besides, Embiid missed all but 30 games of his first 3 seasons. This would have been the first year that Cleveland could have used him.

None until the end of the year.  He played his last game against OSU on 3/1 and lost to stanford in the second round.  He missed the last 6 games but we could have played in 4-6 more games if he would have been healthy.  At that point though he had shown everything he needed to (like kyrie).  He wasn't going to play again even with a foot that couldn't be injured any more than what it was (minor stress fracture I believe).  He was a top 5 pick and everyone knew it at KU.
If you had to repick that draft, the top 5 was:
CLE - Wiggins
Bucks - Jabari Parker
76ers - Embiid
Magic - Gordon
Jass - Exum
If cleveland would have sat front row at KU games all year they probably would have taken Embiid.  Wiggins was noticeably timid most of the year, a problem he still has.  Could you imagine Lebron coming back to CLE with Embiid and Kyrie waiting for him? If they all stay healthy that would have been a dominant East team that could have possibly beaten the warriors more than just once.
A foot that couldn't have been injured anymore?!?!? He didn't play again after that for nearly 3 years.

1) His foot couldn't get any worse than what it was.  That doesn't mean it wasn't a long recovery. It means he couldn't have made it any worse.

2) Most importantly, his foot held him out for about a year.  Then he had other injuries, specifically elbow, knee, and back issues.  Never the foot after it healed.

25 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

1) His foot couldn't get any worse than what it was.  That doesn't mean it wasn't a long recovery. It means he couldn't have made it any worse.

2) Most importantly, his foot held him out for about a year.  Then he had other injuries, specifically elbow, knee, and back issues.  Never the foot after it healed.

wtf is your point?

• Fuck You 1