I'm An Alcoholic

El Diablo

You can be and do anything that you want to. You can overcome anything. Do not lose faith when you stray from the path. Just start back on the path again. This is one of the most inspirational threads on the shag (or whatever this is called now). 

Good luck, God bless, and have faith.

Creeping up on 2 years for me.

Had a great day yesterday on my boat because of my job with my friends and my wife that all would be nonexistent if I was still drinking.  Stay strong brothers and sisters.

Very grateful.

• Like 1

Just wanted to stop by and say to keep up the good fight. As the ex of an alcoholic, I’ve followed this (well the old one) thread for years. I just read the spouse thread today. I pray that one day he makes the choice to live. (But that is out of my control and none of my business) ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

Just left a Sunday night meeting.

I have begun to enjoy these meetings and find myself looking forward to them, instead of having to be drug to them.

Day 33.

Belated congrats on 30 days! Regarding meetings, you made the jump faster than I did. I found myself needing to go initially, then having to go. Eventually, I made it to wanting to go at around 6 months.

This is the only thread I was sure would make it over.  I've relied on this thread and the spouses one for the last 3 years and they've been a lifesaver in helping me figure out the monster I was dealing with.

On a side note, I see bear kept his name.  Thought for sure he was going to change it but I think it was a good idea to keep it- too much street cred with that name in the area of alcoholism to change it know.  Now where is twice?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

well, to be fair, I have been on a , ahem, "extended vacation"....so, these have been rather intensive and 6 months worth of meetings have easily been crammed into those thirty days.

I remember your post just before you went in. I too had to check in somewhere last fall for a short but very effective soberification. (Still going).

Some of your older posts in the alcoholic thread are so similar to my own experiences it is downright spooky. I remember reading a post so specific that for a brief moment, before I looked at the user name, I thought I'd written it and forgotten. I'm rooting for you really fucking hard because it's like rooting for myself.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see that this thread made it over quickly. I check it every day even though I'm not an alcoholic. Two of my golf buddies are in AA and I get a much clearer idea of what they have been through and what they are facing by reading this. Hopefully it enables me to be a better friend. Carry on.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

well, to be fair, I have been on a , ahem, "extended vacation"....so, these have been rather intensive and 6 months worth of meetings have easily been crammed into those thirty days.

Buddy, it's all about consistency and just doing the same thing over and over. I'm still going to our Wednesday night men's meeting, still making bad coffee, and I can lip synch the old timers stories cause I've heard them a thousand times. Ah but my problems keep getting higher class all the times.

One of my favorite meetings, I started attending because of the eye candy, ends up it is, in my opinion one of the strongest meetings in my area. 30 to 40 people every Monday night, some people with lots of time. Really good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We had 2 college girls show up last night, they were "auditing" (?) our meeting as part of their health professional coursework. Open meeting so whatever. It seemed a bit odd as I don't think I've ever seen that before but probably not a bad idea at all. They were not ugly.

Continuing the conversation from the other board because fuck Kerwin Morgan, my home group just doesn't seem to get a lot of noobs so there's not a lot of opportunities to sponsor. There's a group in town that has 4 meetings a day and seems to be the location of choice for people looking for a solution. I know several old timers who go there just to scout the fish. I'm at the point where it's time for me to up my game and get into the sponsor role but much like getting to a meeting posed a problem 2 years ago getting my ass to this other place is going to be a challenge. Believe me, if they were serving liquor there and it was the only place in town I would have been there so no doubt I can figure this out too. xD

what is your home group?  If you don't mind me asking.  I have been given the opportunity to see many of the groups that I wouldn't normally see and I gotta tell you....the recovery community in Austin is vibrant and healthy, to say the very least.  A LOT of good sobriety is happening all around.  I went to the Cherry Creek group and picked up a sponsor there...I LOVE it there and never thought that I would ever walk into a building in that part of town and find such good people.

The Westlake Group, the Northland Group and the Serenity Group in Lakeway will probably be my circuit, but I have been known to show up at a Heroin Anonymous meeting at the Club 101 (I have never done heroin, but that is just lucky, not by design) and vaped my ass off and really had some good recovery happening around me in there.

You never know with this, but I love trying to find out. 

what is your home group?  If you don't mind me asking.  I have been given the opportunity to see many of the groups that I wouldn't normally see and I gotta tell you....the recovery community in Austin is vibrant and healthy, to say the very least.  A LOT of good sobriety is happening all around.  I went to the Cherry Creek group and picked up a sponsor there...I LOVE it there and never thought that I would ever walk into a building in that part of town and find such good people.

The Westlake Group, the Northland Group and the Serenity Group in Lakeway will probably be my circuit, but I have been known to show up at a Heroin Anonymous meeting at the Club 101 (I have never done heroin, but that is just lucky, not by design) and vaped my ass off and really had some good recovery happening around me in there.

You never know with this, but I love trying to find out. 

You finally discovered what I've been telling you for years and it warms my heart.

Next time you're at Northland in the evening look for a guy with silver hair named David B. His gal is named Sherry, she's a sweetheart. He may be wearing a Baylor golf shirt. Introduce yourself and tell him that you know me. Same for Sam W. (Bald guy) And Charles C.(older guy). And Marcus, Obie, not sure if they go to Westlake or whatever but those are my Austin guys that go to the lake shore conference every year.

Id tell you to look for Augustus but he done gone and moved to arryzona.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ball & Chain
Social Distortion

Well it's been ten years, and a thousand tears
And look at the mess I'm in
A broken nose and a broken heart,
An empty bottle of gin
Well I sit and I pray
In my broken down Chevrolet
While I'm singin' to myself
There's got to be another way

Take away, take away
Take away this ball and chain
I'm lonely and I'm tired
And I can't take any more pain
Take away, take away
Never to return again
Take away, take away

Well I've searched and I've searched
To find the perfect life-
A brand new car and a brand new suit
I even got me a little wife
But wherever I have gone
I was sure to find myself there
You can run all your life
But not go anywhere

Take away, take away
I'm lonely and I'm tired
Take away, take away
Never to return again
Take away, take away

Well I'll pass the bar on the way
To my dingy hotel room
I spent all my money
Been drinkin' since a half past noon
I'll wake there in the mornin'
Or maybe in the county jail
Times are hard getting harder
I'm born to lose and destined to fail

Take away, take away
I'm lonely and I'm tired
Take away, take away
Never to return again
Take away, take away

I was messing around last night googling up tunes from when I was a kid and ran across a video to a song I had not heard in 40+ years. When I was a kid I just thought it was a cool tune and the lyrics didn't have much meaning. Then I did a little more googling on the guy who wrote/played the song and found out that he's been sober for some years now and doing good things in his community (Fort Worth). Flat circles and shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2018 at 11:39 AM, El Diablo said:

I was messing around last night googling up tunes from when I was a kid and ran across a video to a song I had not heard in 40+ years. When I was a kid I just thought it was a cool tune and the lyrics didn't have much meaning. Then I did a little more googling on the guy who wrote/played the song and found out that he's been sober for some years now and doing good things in his community (Fort Worth). Flat circles and shit.

John got sober at the Glass House.  Haven't seen him in several years but am glad to know he is still trudging the road to happy destiny.  My favorite song he does is Louisiana Cockfight. 

16 minutes ago, panthercityhorn said:

John got sober at the Glass House.  Haven't seen him in several years but am glad to know he is still trudging the road to happy destiny.  My favorite song he does is Louisiana Cockfight. 

He was a minor celebrity once upon a time, he wrote a number of songs for the Fort Worth band "Bloodrock". Their biggest hit was a creepy ass tune called "D.O.A.". He toured with Alice Cooper and I think it was after that tour that he got his shit together, apparently life on the road with Alice was bad for his health. Here's a blurb on the album they were promoting at the time, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_(Alice_Cooper_album)

Special Forces is the first of three albums which Alice refers to as his "blackout" albums, followed by Zipper Catches Skin, and DaDa, as he has no recollection of recording them, due to substance abuse.

I can't say for sure that John got sober and stayed sober after that but I saw an interview where he said that at the end of the tour EVERYBODY that had been on the road "took some time off". 

I was in maybe 6th grade when that was getting airplay. It was all kinds of spooky, lol. 

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

He was a minor celebrity once upon a time, he wrote a number of songs for the Fort Worth band "Bloodrock". Their biggest hit was a creepy ass tune called "D.O.A.". He toured with Alice Cooper and I think it was after that tour that he got his shit together, apparently life on the road with Alice was bad for his health. Here's a blurb on the album they were promoting at the time, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_(Alice_Cooper_album)

I can't say for sure that John got sober and stayed sober after that but I saw an interview where he said that at the end of the tour EVERYBODY that had been on the road "took some time off". 

I was in maybe 6th grade when that was getting airplay. It was all kinds of spooky, lol. 

My freshman year in college-bought this album and got to know the players.  My best drinking buddy died in a rollover accident in '96, and was a friend of the drummer, Lee Pickens.  Always thought it ironic that this song and end of his life had a connection.

If we're posting music, I got one for y'all. This is my #1 all time song when it comes to capturing the suicidal madness and quest for oblivion I had when my drinking was at its worst. I was hurtling toward the earth at terminal velocity and my response was to just drink harder and faster. The lyrics are spot on and I love everything about the arrangement, especially the "flat tire" drum beat and the guitar accompanying the vocal melody. When he starts screaming "to where the morning don't come" at the end I get chills every time.

"I should have died a hundred thousand times..."

18 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Bump cause I'm grateful to be sober.

Spent 4 hours straight yesterday hearing a 5th step, then went to a speaker meeting.

Was at a meeting the other day and heard something simple but profound. "Procrastination is just another manifestation of control"

We're discussing the 10th step the other night and one of our guys says "I always thought I was a nurturing sort. Turns out that's just my way of controlling." 

Just another manifestation.

Fuck yeah. Still sober and this site is up and running. New job started and it was a perfect time for a break.  Nice to be back and see you all posting.  Less than 90 days and the pink cloud has burst already, but fuck if I’m not grateful.  Happy days. 

Seems like it's conference "season", we've had announcements for 8 or so for the last month. Gathering of Eagles in Dallas, Texas State Conference, Man to Man in Brownwood, Arkansas State Conference, Austin's 5th Conference and a couple others I'm not remembering.

What's on your schedule this summer?