Blazers vs Pelicans

Machinator

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Most people picked this as a tight series because of how well NO matches up with Portland. NO in 7 seemed to be a pretty common selection. But, yeah, no one saw this.

Agreed... This is a near even series that most expected Portland to pull out, that has become an outright ass kicking that might be a possible sweep...

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Mirotic is any indication, NBA players should be lining up to get punched in the face by Bobby Portis.

Bulls F Bobby Portis apologizes for punching teammate Nikola Mirotic ...
www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/chicago.../1sugm37ppqdcc176vqumdov74n
Oct 21, 2017 - I feel like I let my fans, the Bulls organization and most importantly my teammates down. This is not who Bobby Portis is." Mirotic suffered two facial fractures in addition to a concussion in the fight. 

Unless your name is Bobby Portis & you want to get resigned in the NBA in the future... But as far as the luck for New Orleans, it's been a hit, you could say...

The Pelicans are a good wing or 2 away from being elite.  Will be interesting to see if they want to risk another deal with Rondo.

If NOLA does close out this series this weekend, an incredibly encouraging result for the franchise, especially if they can make GS work in the next round.

On the other hand, Portland's gonna need to do some soul searching as it appears that Dame + CJ are the West's answer to Wall + Beal.

didnt think the Pelicans had this in them at all especially after Boogie went down. I expected them to lose some games down the stretch of the regular season because I cant name 3 players on their team outside of Brow/Jrue/Mirotic/Rondo....but they just keep fucking winning, and looking good while doing so. 

Damn, I could have sworn that I saw a few people picking New Orleans. Either way, very few people had Portland winning easily and expected a long series.

Gotta wonder whose head rolls in Portland after this one. People, including me, have been knocking Portland for awhile for tying their success to two 6'3" redundant, non-defensive-minded guards (the contracts of Crabbe, Turner, etc. didn't help). They seemed to figure something out mid-season, but the playoffs are a different animal.

8 hours ago, Chapo said:

They are gelling now, maybe s&t Cousins in the offseason? AD at the 5 is when they are at their best 

To be fair they were playing really well before Boogie went down too.   He and Brow were really starting to hit their stride together.   I wouldn't be to let that go unless they could get something serious.   AD/Boogie/this version of Jrue and Playoff Rondo would be hard to deal with

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

didnt think the Pelicans had this in them at all especially after Boogie went down. I expected them to lose some games down the stretch of the regular season because I cant name 3 players on their team outside of Brow/Jrue/Mirotic/Rondo....but they just keep fucking winning, and looking good while doing so. 

They are better team when they go small and run. Boogie was holding this team back from being it's best self.

5 minutes ago, Chapo said:

With AD playing like this and Steph out, whats the chance they can knockout GS?  Cant play draymond straight up against AD, can u?

steph will supposedly be back for most, if not all, of the series.

regardless, i'm pretty excited for that series which is something i never would have dreamed one week ago.

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

regardless, i'm pretty excited for that series which is something i never would have dreamed one week ago.

Yep, with Jrue playing the way he is to help AD the series should be great!   And if Steph isn't what in the world do you guys think Rondo is gonna do to Cook?

22 hours ago, d2o said:

Yep, with Jrue playing the way he is to help AD the series should be great!   And if Steph isn't what in the world do you guys think Rondo is gonna do to Cook?

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

I've got a pretty strong feeling that, even without Steph, a couple of games into the series we're going to be saying, "Oh right, they're the Warriors, and they're the Pelicans." The things that worked really well against two tiny, terrible defensive guards won't work as well against a team whose shortest player on the court--if Iggy starts--is 6'7". And that trying to guard Klay and KD with 6'4" Moore and Holiday (as great as he is) probably won't go well. Then, when Steph does come back, it'll just be too much firepower.

I hope I'm wrong though. The more games we get to watch AD, the better. Regardless of how many games the series goes, he's going to be dominant.

I think aggie08 said it earlier on the thread, but each team has one player that's virtually unguardable and will tear the other defense up. The difference is that GS also has a plethora of long, uber-athletic players who will stress in the Pels in ways that Aminu and Evan Turner (lol) simply can't, though Aminu certainly put in a valiant effort. I think Mirotic will not have the same imprint on the semis that he did against the Blazers.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think aggie08 said it earlier on the thread, but each team has one player that's virtually unguardable and will tear the other defense up. The difference is that GS also has a plethora of long, uber-athletic players who will stress in the Pels in ways that Aminu and Evan Turner (lol) simply can't, though Aminu certainly put in a valiant effort. I think Mirotic will not have the same imprint on the semis that he did against the Blazers.

This strategy is never quite as easy to implement as it sounds, but I wonder how much the coaches will go with the "let him get his 50, don't let anybody else beat you" gameplan until Steph gets back. Basically, throw a bunch of stiffs at AD (McGee, ZaZa, Looney, Bell) and KD (Moore, Miller, do they even have any more wings??), save your better defenders for everyone else, and see who has better supporting cast. Holiday and Klay cancel out (and they'll probably be guarding each other most of the time anyway). Gentry probably wouldn't hate the odds of Rondo and Mirotic out-producing Green and Iggy.

Conversely, I'd love to see Gentry decide to go best vs. best, and put AD on KD from time to time. Then, with Steph back, if anyone can effectively guard the Steph/KD PnR, it's AD and Holiday.