Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

• 1 month later...
weed and now Columbus. crazy how Mexico is more progressive than we are

Don’t forget abortion. Frankly, I think they recognize a tourist opportunity when they see one. Can’t you just smell the money as all those Texas daughters start vacations in Cancun in…February.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:53 PM, Lobo said:

Where are they taking all of these statues by the way?  I assume different states will have different storage deposits.  But some maintenance guy is gonna tweet out photos of these things and use them as a rally point for something bad.  Or are they being melted down?  You hear about the taking down, then the whiny protest, but you never read about what happens after that.  

I think we're the only country with thousands of statues of our attackers that we're still saving for some reason, because "feelings."  I've never see a statue to Hitler, Goering, Keitel, Heydrich, Himmler, Bormann, or Goebbels...but their history hasn't been erased.  I can tell you anything you want to know about an of them.  

On 7/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, JohnnyRage said:

Pretty sure this one is proudly on display at the Lajitas golf course in Big Bend. Put there by the owner of the resort and buyer, Dallas Billionaire Kelcy Warren.

041421_Lajitas_43-1536x1024.jpg&f=1&nofb

No, not my pic.

Yes, I've played there. Would play again, but don't stay at the resort, it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Makin' a run for the border.

Not the first Confederate leaders to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Virginia_Colony

Confederate generals such as Fighting Jo Shelby, Edmund Kirby Smith, John B. Magruder, Sterling Price, Thomas C. Hindman, and Alexander W. Terrell made their way to Mexico after the war.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Pretty sure this one is proudly on display at the Lajitas golf course in Big Bend. Put there by the owner of the resort and buyer, Dallas Billionaire Kelcy Warren.

041421_Lajitas_43-1536x1024.jpg&f=1&nofb

No, not my pic.

Yes, I've played there. Would play again, but don't stay at the resort, it sucks.

Is there anywhere else to stay within reasonable driving distance?

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Is there anywhere else to stay within reasonable driving distance?

There are some places in Terlingua and Study Butte (rBnBs, hotels, camp sites, RV sites), maybe half an hour down the road. There is also camping at Big Bend Ranch State Park, which is very close, and Big Bend National Park about an hour away.

edit: Also Alpine (~80 mi) and Marathon (~100 mi). Which doesn't sound close, but by West Texas standards isn't really all that far.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

• 1 month later...

Serious question---why has nobody started some grift where you collect money from stupid people with the promise that you're gonna build an indoor museum so that nobody can be offended driving/walking by.  And inside will be all these statues that have been taken down the last several years?  It would be some sorta Southern Heritage & History Museum?  And it would be filled with all these statues and plaques and monuments and cenotaphs and all  that kinda shit.  In reality, I wouldn't care if there was one built somewhere like Richmond or Birmingham or East Texas.  If it's all in one place so none of us have to see that crap, they can white-wash the history all they want.  Charge admission, sell memberships, gift shop, have at it.  Go nuts. 

And then the rest of us can pay $3.99 to watch a live feed of the parking lot of that place for amusement and the money goes to the Southern Poverty Law Center.  You telling me you wouldn't drink beer and laugh at the tubs of shit piling out of their trucks and vans to take their kids to "learnin' the real truth about the South and our glorious history!" 

You get a few academics and politicians to pledge that the place will be on the up and up, that only the facts will be told, etc.  No rallying point for extremist groups or anything like that and they raise the money themselves with no public support...I bet the majority of Americans wouldn't have a problem with it.  And we could steal so much fucking money from these idiots, we'd need a whole other Osteen church just to stack up the cash.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Serious question---why has nobody started some grift where you collect money from stupid people with the promise that you're gonna build an indoor museum so that nobody can be offended driving/walking by.  And inside will be all these statues that have been taken down the last several years?  It would be some sorta Southern Heritage & History Museum?  And it would be filled with all these statues and plaques and monuments and cenotaphs and all  that kinda shit.  In reality, I wouldn't care if there was one built somewhere like Richmond or Birmingham or East Texas.  If it's all in one place so none of us have to see that crap, they can white-wash the history all they want.  Charge admission, sell memberships, gift shop, have at it.  Go nuts. 

And then the rest of us can pay $3.99 to watch a live feed of the parking lot of that place for amusement and the money goes to the Southern Poverty Law Center.  You telling me you wouldn't drink beer and laugh at the tubs of shit piling out of their trucks and vans to take their kids to "learnin' the real truth about the South and our glorious history!" 

You get a few academics and politicians to pledge that the place will be on the up and up, that only the facts will be told, etc.  No rallying point for extremist groups or anything like that and they raise the money themselves with no public support...I bet the majority of Americans wouldn't have a problem with it.  And we could steal so much fucking money from these idiots, we'd need a whole other Osteen church just to stack up the cash.  

is there any land available near that Creationist Museum in Kentucky? Bet we could make some kind of cow and calf deal with them. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

why keep it indoors ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_of_the_Wind

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Jesus Christ--this is why I'll never be rich.  I'm just not quick enough with these ideas.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

They're in the process of opening the recently uncovered lead box encased, time capsule recovered from the 1887 R.E. Lee statue in Richmond, VA. now.   The statue has been gone for months, and now they're dismantling the 20' tall, graffiti covered, granite base that statue rested upon.  The graffiti is beautiful IMO.

The capsule was located 15' off the ground in the center of the now removed pedestal base.  I hope that means the contents are maybe undamaged.  It's not an overly large box. Looks to be an 18" x 12" x about 4" deep  lead box with a soldered lead top that's been taking hours to get removed by a historical society employee all happening live on the local TV station....  

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

posrep. why is this as fascinating as it is?

Time capsules are always gonna draw media attention. That it was for a statue erected in 1887 for R.E. Lee adds historical interest.  I had a meeting so don't know what they found, but based on what I did see it doesn't seem to be anything earth shattering.

The box they found was not the one they thought they were looking for apparently. The 1887 time capsule was said to contain 60 objects relating to the civil war, and Lee.

They've now found a box that was located near the area is was said to be when it was entombed in the base.  It'll be opened later this week hopefully.

I'm sure the local Confederate-sympathizer "historians" will say it's just papers and articles turned to dust...but we all know what's in there.

An engraved plate of Lee with his hands on his bald scalp with the inscription, "I have the worst fucking confederates."  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

"Wokism destroying our heritage!"

Or, you know.....maybe coming to the conclusion that naming bases of the military of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA after people who waged violent war AGAINST the US is perhaps the dumbest fucking bullshit imaginable.

Sincerely,

Someone who also thinks we shouldn't name any of our bases after Bin Laden, Rommel, or Hirohito

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Fucking finally.  Bragg was both an asshole and a shitty general.  He was completely depantsed at Chattanooga.  Pretty much the only person in the Confederate hierarchy who could stand to be in his presence was Jefferson Davis.  There is really not a less fitting namesake for one of our most important bases.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Wokism destroying our heritage!"

Or, you know.....maybe coming to the conclusion that naming bases of the military of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA after people who waged violent war AGAINST the US is perhaps the dumbest fucking bullshit imaginable.

Sincerely,

Someone who also thinks we shouldn't name any of our bases after Bin Laden, Rommel, or Hirohito

I would fully expect MTG to introduce legislation seeking to rename one of these forts as "Fort Ashli Babbitt"

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Pentagon on Thursday, Jan. 5, 2023, instructed all Defense Department organizations to begin working to remove names and items associated with the Confederacy as recommended last year by a congressional commission. This includes nine Army bases named for Confederate generals. The bases are Fort Polk in Louisiana, Fort Benning and Fort Gordon in Georgia, Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Fort A.P. Hill, Fort Lee and Fort Pickett in Virginia, Fort Rucker in Alabama, and Fort Hood in Texas. Officials have said they would not recommend a name change for Camp Beauregard in Louisiana, which was also named for a Confederate general, because it is owned by that state’s National Guard.  (Library of Congress)

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2023-01-05/pentagon-congress-confederates-army-bases-8661981.html

FWxTEc-XwAUCL8P?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This includes nine Army bases named for Confederate generals. The bases are Fort Polk in Louisiana, Fort Benning and Fort Gordon in Georgia, Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Fort A.P. Hill, Fort Lee and Fort Pickett in Virginia, Fort Rucker in Alabama, and Fort Hood in Texas.

Hopefully this gets renamed Ft. Benavidez 

• Hook 'Em 2