Elvis HBO Documentary

swTXSU

Anybody catch this?  Not too favorable on his manager later in his career. Hard to believe as famous and wealthy as he was he couldn’t really do what he wanted to do and travel the world.  Hearing Tom Petty narrate some parts was also kind of surreal. 

Got it recorded on my DVR. WIthout seeing it yet, can tell you that Col. Tom Parker was a POS SOB from hell. Seriously, if there is a hell, hope he is enjoying his hot poker ass raping, where Satan himself set up a ticket booth to sell others the chance to use the poker.

Yes, I was hoping there would be more live recorded footage. I’m guessing they couldn’t get approval or didn’t want to pay for the use of it.  Not performing in front of a live audience while he was “movie star Elvis” was just fucked up. He never really caught up to mainstream music after that since he could sell his own brand of gospel, country, and soul to his faithful fans. 

I had aunts and cousins that would go to Vegas to see him and buy his merch at least a couple of times a year.  I was barely in junior high when he passed  The sad fat Elvis is the only one I remember  His version of the Battle Hym of the Republic was a great performance though  

Edited by swTXSU

I grew up in a home where the only rock albums were Elvis albums and one Chuck Berry album. Mostly country and gospel records. It wasn't until the early 80's that there were any other rock albums in that house, after my mother allowed me to spend my allowance on bootleg tapes at flea markets. I heard other rock music but only at school, from the "bad kids" and when riding in one of my brothers vehicles.

Just finished the documentary. Very little in them that I had not seen or heard before. Although did like hearing the thoughts from Springsteen and Petty(RIP). Not a waste of time, especially for those who are not as versed as I already was, for those that do not know his history.

Had high hopes for this as I've really enjoyed previous docs by Zimmy, but this had almost a Thin Red Line feel to it. Lots of "esoteric" shots of birds swooping in the sky while unrelated (maybe) voiceovers were playing. Although the final shot of Elvis finishing up his '68 concert playing on his TV in the Jungle Room as the camera pulled back leaving him trapped forever in Graceland was a sly twist on Ethan not being allowed in the family home at the ending of John Ford's The Searchers. Beautiful setup there.