Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

41 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age. 

That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon trying to make it racist is complete garbage. The entitlement of this team to use the song as some sort of crutch to validate their pussiness is enough to make me want to get rid of all of them, sans Sam. I was upset that we lost today. When i saw that pic of Sam by himself today, I was crushed. That's the worst feeling I've had as a Longhorn football fan in my entire life. UT football culture is at rock bottom. Those that say "oh it's just a song" just don't get it. It's about solidarity. It's about pride. Shunning all of that because your sister's cousin's professor told you the song might be racist is weak as fuck. Weak. As. Fuck. Just like this football team is. 

nope. the song is racist. that has been decided.  we even have to have a committee to explain how racist it is.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Has there ever been a more unlikable team than this one? 

You're not in to entitled personalities who love the spotlight off the field when posturing for social justice but can't seem to hold the same spotlight when performing between the lines on Saturday?

Such a kill joy.

My question is how can this woke team play with a QB that sang suchhhhh a racist song?  If the song is racist( it’s not) how can these players associate with someone(Sam) that ignores the racism and participates singing this horrible song.   They must be so vexed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's not so much about the song as it is that these kids clearly don't have any respect for Texas which is sad because it's who they are supposed to play for.  The culture is toxic, they play like scared bitches, and they are beyond soft.  You don't just bow to the demands of 18-22 year olds.  Wtf do they really know about hard times?  They worship them so much now that they think that it's about them.  They don't even know what the grind looks like.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

quote that article because i'm not paying for it

they formed a committee headed by a diversity guy and will include, students, athletes, alumni, former players, etc etc to study the history of the Eyes and report back on how to move forward.  theater by the admin.  they'll kill the song and just come up with a new one.  maybe we can just copy Michigans tune and put new words.  do like that alma mater.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they formed a committee headed by a diversity guy and will include, students, athletes, alumni, former players, etc etc to study the history of the Eyes and report back on how to move forward.  theater by the admin.  they'll kill the song and just come up with a new one.  maybe we can just copy Michigans tune and put new words.  do like that alma mater.

I dunno.  At this late date, months after the issue was resolved, I tend to think it might be a rehabilitation campaign.

If, as has been reported, some BMD are unhappy about that, then that may endanger funding university-wide.

I think you can get fair-minded people without an axe to grind to say, "yes, its origins are 'racist-adjacent,'" but through a century of use, it has lost any adjacency it once had and its actual content is non-racist."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This isn’t to argue we should cheat more. But to quote another poster on another thread, “There are other teams that have way more problematic racial issues/histories than Texas.” And, to quote this same erudite poster, “Those teams have ‘SJW’ players as well and are not facing these issues.”

So what explains it?

Premise: what insiders say is true and Texas plays things relatively straight as far as recruiting goes, compared to some other schools.

I play for Texas. I came here primarily for the purpose of taking my talents to the next level. I am not receiving good coaching. I am not progressing as a player and will not realize my dreams of playing in the NFL. I am not unique, but at least my peers at, say, A&M and UGA received tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to sign on the dotted line. As a result, their families are taken care of for the foreseeable future.

Could this play into what we’re seeing? (Recognizing that not everyone comes to Texas for the benefits of a UT education.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno.  At this late date, months after the issue was resolved, I tend to think it might be a rehabilitation campaign.

we're Cal.  we don't really care about this.   its easier to just come up with a new song.

I think that what Sam was saying was that he supported his teammates in their feelings about the song even though it meant something to him personally.  Now he feels like they are not supporting the team by committing to what it takes to win and he just said screw it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

I think that what Sam was saying was that he supported his teammates in their feelings about the song even though it meant something to him personally.  Now he feels like they are not supporting the team by committing to what it takes to win and he just said screw it.

Well he just gave 190% in the school's biggest rivalry game while the rest of them didn't crack 80%. I wouldn't blame him if he said fuck you to them from here on out. But he won't, because he's a badass and a true Longhorn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I think he knew it was his last time leaving the cotton bowl and he wanted to sing the Eyes like he did with his Dad many times I'm sure.  the guy bleeds burnt orange.  I'm not saying other players have to bleed burnt orange.  most came with dreams of NFL.  Sam dreamt of playing QB for the Horns.  Its as simple as that IMO.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Maybe we can replace it with “Don’t Stop Believing”??  
Wait, is that racist?  Did Journey have any black members?  Nope, don’t think so. Racist bastards. 

several of the members of Journey {Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon} were originally in Santana's band.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

My question is how can this woke team play with a QB that sang suchhhhh a racist song?  If the song is racist( it’s not) how can these players associate with someone(Sam) that ignores the racism and participates singing this horrible song.   They must be so vexed.  

Maybe that’s why they all quit on him.  They didn’t seem too vexed during 90% of the game when he carried their ass.  You can stand up for shit and still go do your job between the lines.  Or you can stand up for shit then sit down when it’s time to work - then you’ll look like abject failures whether people discuss you, or your cause.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Let's just take all the "ban the eyes" crowd and put them in charge of the entire athletic department.  Then when it all goes totally to shit and the university goes bankrupt for lack of athletic dollars, they will be satisfied and can go look for a real job.  Maybe a job at the stables shoveling shit, since that is what they appear to do best.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Well he just gave 190% in the school's biggest rivalry game while the rest of them didn't crack 80%. I wouldn't blame him if he said fuck you to them from here on out. But he won't, because he's a badass and a true Longhorn. 

Joseph Ossai left it all out there. BJ Foster played thru pain too. But they aren't true longhorns right?

Quit fucking reading into that shit. This team had these exact same problems last year when they gathered for the eyes after losses. That picture you saw of Sam alone is just a symptom of a larger problem.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

So Who are not real fans? Who is a Real fan? 

So fucking myopic and selfish to even tweet that. Clearly he doesn’t realize the vast majority of the fan base were fans before he even became a longhorn. We’ve been here longer than you bro. And we’ll still be here after you’re gone.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age. 

That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon trying to make it racist is complete garbage. The entitlement of this team to use the song as some sort of crutch to validate their pussiness is enough to make me want to get rid of all of them, sans Sam. I was upset that we lost today. When i saw that pic of Sam by himself today, I was crushed. That's the worst feeling I've had as a Longhorn football fan in my entire life. UT football culture is at rock bottom. Those that say "oh it's just a song" just don't get it. It's about solidarity. It's about pride. Shunning all of that because your sister's cousin's professor told you the song might be racist is weak as fuck. Weak. As. Fuck. Just like this football team is. 

Yup.  Bottom line is that most of these players don't care about football or The University and sure as shit don't care about you or me.

They are soft, fruity, emotional, fragile, children surrounded by enablers who reinforce how "important" each and every feeling they have is.

Once you shake hands with that, there's a freedom.  The freedom to laugh your ass off as the booger blob just eats itself from the inside out.  That's what we're watching.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Joseph Ossai left it all out there. BJ Foster played thru pain too. But they aren't true longhorns right?

Quit fucking reading into that shit. This team had these exact same problems last year when they gathered for the eyes after losses. That picture you saw of Sam alone is just a symptom of a larger problem.

Yeah, we're in that stage of self-cannibalization where every little thing gets dissected and over-analyzed as a possible contributing factor or symptom of whatever malady has befallen us.

For the third time in a decade.

Well all know what’s going to happen with this song. If they try to cancel it you’re going to have big donors from academic and athletic side threaten to pull funds. With that threat will come a massive shift in stance and the song will stay and there will be a rule about the song put in place. 

money will win out just as it always does and did with the NBA players in their less than 24 hour hold out. 

• Like 1

Football dynasties like OU were built on cheating and cutting corners.  Remember Nebraska?  Say hello to FSU or tOSU or USC or Auburn or aggy or SMU.  What has happened to Michigan and UT was inevitable when you refuse to get down in the mud with your competitors.  Somehow we were able to manage the tight rope when Mac Brown was here.  We will see how the rest of the season plays out but I for one am truly surprised at the apparent softness of Herman.

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yup.  Bottom line is that most of these players don't care about football or The University and sure as shit don't care about you or me.

They are soft, fruity, emotional, fragile, children surrounded by enablers who reinforce how "important" each and every feeling they have is.

Once you shake hands with that, there's a freedom.  The freedom to laugh your ass off as the booger blob just eats itself from the inside out.  That's what we're watching.

It started with the let’s pay the player horse shit. I am not blaming this weak minded brand of football on their marxist bullshit, I blame their coach. He is too busy embracing social feel goods to teach basic blocking and discipline. 4th and 2 false starts and twat infested procedural calls are the only systematic problems this team has. Has nothing to do with their lack of respect for the people who overcame racism before them. It has everything to do with coaches not instilling discipline and pride in their game. 

As for the kill the Eyes of Texas and redonk-covid don’t-let-em-play crowd, that litter this board, I give you all a hardy fuck you just like I do the “pay the players” set. All of that bullshit, all of it, has nothing to do with football, and as I said before you can all eat a bag of dicks. 

I have my own ridiculous demands, it starts with a line that can make a hole big enough for a 4 40 guy to run 3 yards on call, and ends with if you can’t win at Texas  gtfo.. all the other virtue signaling crap, save it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The problem is once you start letting the players dictate everything it’s hard to then take back any sense of control.  These players only worry about themselves and damn sure don’t care what the university or fans think.  It’s all about me me me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I might be at the point where the onus for unity is on the players that are saying they are oppressed by a song. The student athletes need to find a way to unify the fanbase with them and behind them. Obviously the simplest way would be to win. Well that isn't happening. So they should have figured out a way to unify and rally the fanbase behind them, before causing such division. I will never understand how the song makes one feel oppressed or whatever it is the black athletes specifically feel. As an Asian, I don't have the perspective I guess, but even so the song in no way makes me feel lesser than. But I was open to listening to ways of unifying and rallying behind each other without the song. 

At this point, I'm not seeing any of that out of the student athletes, and they are basically whining and complaining, while not taking any responsibility themselves. It just seems after losses they want to go to the locker room and sulk.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Well all know what’s going to happen with this song. If they try to cancel it you’re going to have big donors from academic and athletic side threaten to pull funds. With that threat will come a massive shift in stance and the song will stay and there will be a rule about the song put in place. 

money will win out just as it always does and did with the NBA players in their less than 24 hour hold out. 

And if it does play out this way, which i doubt, it would be justified.  Your correlation is weak.  The song isn't racist.  The fact that you think there would be a massive shift in stance is telling of your thoughts.  Have some fkn nuts and take a stance against woke bullshit.  There is plenty of legitimate wrongs that could and should be righted.  This song isn't one of them.  It was brought to the table, discussed and it stayed.  The fact that there are still whiners trying to tell us " it isn't going away" must have it pretty good if this is the hill they want to fall on.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's not money it's just what is obviously right. You bow down to the woke mob they just find the next thing to call you racist over until you do that too. It's not even about being progressive, it's about control.

It’s always about money. Don’t fucking kid yourself. When BMDs start to flex the university will bend and the “wokeness” will go away 

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

And if it does play out this way, which i doubt, it would be justified.  Your correlation is weak.  The song isn't racist.  The fact that you think there would be a massive shift in stance is telling of your thoughts.  Have some fkn nuts and take a stance against woke bullshit.  There is plenty of legitimate wrongs that could and should be righted.  This song isn't one of them.  It was brought to the table, discussed and it stayed.  The fact that there are still whiners trying to tell us " it isn't going away" must have it pretty good if this is the hill they want to fall on.

I never said the song is racist moron. I’m saying money will win out and song stays. 

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

It’s always about money. Don’t fucking kid yourself. When BMDs start to flex the university will bend and the “wokeness” will go away 

The BMDs kids/grandkids are all going to Alabama and other schools now that they cannot get it UT. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Please don't bring the nba into the discussion. Fuck the nba.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

The song's origin is in minstrelsy. We can parse lyrics and historical allusions all day, but its initial introduction to the 40 was via minstrelsy and that historical fact will never change. You can be OK with it, and I can be OK with it, but if a black person isn't OK with it I have no standing to contradict them or "WELL ACTUALLY!" the situation.

Former players have told us they didn't like it and didn't want to do it, but did it anyway.

I know you guys are enjoying having a contest to see who can hate student-athletes the loudest and most dramatically, but our traditions should be unifying, not dividing.

You can say, "IT'S NOT RACIST!" to the black athletes who reject it for its minstrelsy background, and I can say "It's just a song, get over it" to you. Neither of you has some eternal truth claim. Neither of you is "right".

Every player but 1 rejected The Eyes Saturday. That's pretty telling.

So lets say the howling crybabies here get their way and the players are forced, against their will, to stand and sing The Eyes... what then? Will they play better? Are we united now?

I DO appreciate that there is no blatant racism in this thread unlike the one that got locked. You guys are doing a better job of keeping the quiet part quiet and I appreciate that. Now let's work on the open hatred of our own players.

12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's not money it's just what is obviously right. You bow down to the woke mob they just find the next thing to call you racist over until you do that too. It's not even about being progressive, it's about control.

And what do the UT football players want to control about your life?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, bad_teammate said:

You can already see the battle lines moving forward and they are exactly the same as they were, there is zero change here. For instance, this highly political sentiment from the last page: "Unlike aggy, SJW’s won’t run out of time."

Any player who chooses to skip The Eyes will be attacked by "fans", so essentially the "freedom" they've been given now is to be spark internal battles along the same boring and tired lines that people fight every other battle in this country (SJWs vs fascists, COVID, race, schools, police, economy, blah blah blah blah blah). This new "freedom" will probably not accomplish much of anything other than to make sure no one currently in a position to make decisions has to actually make a controversial decision.

July 15th

The most predictable group of impotent morons in the world.