Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

are we the only freaking school going through this drama? fuckness aggy has a statue of a guy that killed black folks and they arent in angst. 

why do we beat our own meat into submission over and over ?

because we are Cal athletically and we THINK we are Cal academically/wokely.  get ready because we don't really care about winning anymore as long as the dollars roll in.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Oh boy another chance for the same people to rage at groups of students on campus to show how tough-minded they are.

Bands are a huge reason people like college more than professional football. We have a great band and we should work with them to make sure that we can all recreate a tremendous college atmosphere with as little divisiveness as possible.

Back to your regularly scheduled macho blustering on the Internet.

Talking is over. When kids act up, you have to discipline. If they care so much about the song then let them walk. I’m about ready for the entire sports program to spontaneously combust. I’ll go take a couple classes at SMU and watch their games. The UT I went to (2005-2009) is dead.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

woke... educate yourself and then wake up.

started off 50 / 50 drink. moved to 75 /25 and now settled on a splash after a long pour.

no middle ground. one extreme or the other. shit is either all bad if you dont side with me .  world is changing too fast and getting to0 polarized 

dont think i'lll post shit tonight. damn hotel room is alreayd closing in on me 

17 minutes ago, markstanco said:

or

Is somebody making a big deal about a song that isn't racist but rhymes with one that is?

It doesn’t just rhyme it’s the weird al yankovic version of “I’ve been working on the railroad.”

We could probably change it to “down on the field to play” and hope no one notices.

As I went down on the field to play,
Playing about that Texas way,
When you shall wear the orange n’  white,
Good Lord, show me the way.
O longhorn, let's go fight, let's go fight, let's go fight,
O longhorn, let's go fight,
Down on the field to play

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

We are now at the point in the thread where Texas fans are jealous of the way A&M handles race relations and Baylor handles sexual assault. 

I'm Out - Seinfeld GIF - Seinfeld JerrySeinfeld Jerry - Discover & Share  GIFs

Ya know, you put up the Seinfeld "I'm outta here" gif, but something tells me you're not really going to leave.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Covri said:

It doesn’t just rhyme it’s the weird al yankovic version of “I’ve been working on the railroad.”

We could probably change it to “down on the field to play” and hope no one notices.

As I went down on the field to play,
Playing about that Texas way,
When you shall wear the orange n’  white,
Good Lord, show me the way.
O longhorn, let's go fight, let's go fight, let's go fight,
O longhorn, let's go fight,
Down on the field to play

That ain't half bad!

17 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Ya know, you put up the Seinfeld "I'm outta here" gif, but something tells me you're not really going to leave.

Ya know...this is actually fair. Can’t help myself I guess. Surely you guys can handle this thread not being an echo chamber though right?

Speaking of, has there one single poster in this 110 page clusterfuck who has argued that the Eyes of Texas is a blatantly racist song and should be done away with? I missed probably the middle 90 pages but I can’t say I’ve seen it once. 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel strongly that if you had no idea of it’s origin and etc that you should probably shit the fuck up regarding the eyes from here on out. 

YEAH BECAUSE GOD FORBID SOMEONE LEARNS SOMETHING NEW THAT CAUSES THEM TO FORM A NEW OPINION, AMIRITE?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The song was NEVER an issue until June 2020.  During the time span since it first became a part of the school and it's identity,  we've had the  1950's and 60's Civil Rights activism which led to major changes  and numerous other points of contention in the same arena and the leaders leading the charge in those struggles NEVER brought up the song. 

You know, when you're denied the right to stay in a hotel or attend the University of Texas or use a public water fountain, this song is probably not high on your list of priorities.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

Tell the ones that want to play it to be there on Saturday.  The rest can stand outside the stadium and protest.  Someone please remind these band dorks that no one is paying to watch this game to see the band.  Even as bad as this football team is no one is showing up to see the band if there is no game.  Talk about no self awareness or is it an overrated sense of self importance.  

Yet you seem extremely angry about this.  

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I’d be ok with just getting rid of the band entirely. Maybe revisit the issue five or ten years down the road. Used canned music instead. 

If only we hadn't fired Steve Patterson, the LHB would have already been replaced by a DJ spinning tunes.  

2 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

It’s amazing that we are playing a football program in Baylor that recently experienced a gang rape scandal but have stayed together and moved forward. However our university and athletic program is eroding because of sensitivity about a song’s origin. 

YES, LET'S BE MORE LIKE BAYLOR AND STICK TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!  GREAT IDEA!

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

GREAT POINT!   WE SHOULD ABSOLUTELY TRY TO BE MORE LIKE AGGY!!! 

You seem upset people aren’t blindly willing to bend a knee/pander just because of who says to do so. 

Lack of a conversation/debate, fear of being called a racist and excessive pandering is why we are here 

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They learned what leverage is. Only thing that causes a reaction from the fans and school. They manufacture outrage when none existed just 8 months prior. Most effective tactic to claim victim status from a place of extreme privilege.  

They’ll be OK.  Mommy and daddy will tell them how wrong they’ve been treated and how lucky UT is to have them on campus.  They are really doing Texas a favor by going to war over something so important that they didn’t even have a problem with 10 months ago.  They are so brave.  It’s almost like they fought off a Nazi invasion.  They’ll write books about this one day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

You seem upset people aren’t blindly willing to bend a knee/pander just because of who says to do so. 

No player is asking you to bend a knee or pander to them. No player knows who you or cares to find out. They expect and want nothing of you.

Who is telling you to do anything?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Talking is over. When kids act up, you have to discipline. If they care so much about the song then let them walk. I’m about ready for the entire sports program to spontaneously combust. I’ll go take a couple classes at SMU and watch their games. The UT I went to (2005-2009) is dead.

Ain't that the fucking truth. I don't even recognize game day / campus anymore. 

Just cancel the fall semester and send everyone home including the athletes. Playing football in 2020 was a bad idea and basically everything else has been ass tier too. Including fenves leaving after his dumbass was exposed to a bunch of positive people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

They’ll be OK.  Mommy and daddy will tell them how wrong they’ve been treated and how lucky UT is to have them on campus.  They are really doing Texas a favor by going to war over something so important that they didn’t even have a problem with 10 months ago.  They are so brave.  It’s almost like they fought off a Nazi invasion.  They’ll write books about this one day.  

Someone will absolutely write a book about the events leading up to the University of Texas replacing the Eyes of Texas as its alma mater.

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I'm not upset about anything.  I didn't attend UT.  

I do know that if you're trying to be successful, you do not try to model yourself after aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Just cancel the call semester and send everyone home including the athletes. Playing football in 2020 was a bad idea and basically everything else has been ass tier too. Including fenves leaving after his dumbass was exposed to a bunch of positive people. 

We have posters here unironically saying we should be more like aggy in regards to race relations while the aggy in charge argues the opposite. #2020 

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Someone will absolutely write a book about the events leading up to the University of Texas replacing the Eyes of Texas as its alma mater.

I’ll hold my breathe until it comes out.  What a glorious moment that will be.  

Well we have officially jumped the shark.  Don’t underestimate how much the cancel culture has taken hold in our young people.  In the world of social media and likes, they are desperate to be recognized and the need to ‘make a difference’ is  driving illogical choices.  

God help us all.  And get off my lawn while your at it.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

No one wants to be on campus and the adults don't want to do their jobs. Just send everyone home, take the tuition and give them credit for the semester over zoom classes. Stop this front of making a difference or whatever the fuck the University is doing. It's just not working for anyone including the students. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Well we have officially jumped the shark.  Don’t underestimate how much the cancel culture has taken hold in our young people.  In the world of social media and likes, they are desperate to be recognized and the need to ‘make a difference’ is  driving illogical choices.  

God help us all.  And get off my lawn while your at it.  

Ur*